2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Zodia Wedges

GRUMBO

hi guys

has anyone out there ever used the zodia unfinished black wedges?????? if so are they as good as they say they are

or are they over rated???

if you have used them please provide your comments on the 56 and 60 degree wedge and what shaft did you get in them???? wondering if the combination of the wedge and spinner shaft will make the ball spin too much and if you did what frequency did you put in ???

looking forward to any comments from you zodia users out there.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used a Zodia US Spec since March this year. Specs:

59°, D3.5, Standard Length/Lie, Nippon NS Pro 1050, Stiff

Earlier in the year, I used this club really for its grooves only. I could bang down on the back of a ball and get it to stop b/c the grooves are sooooo good at spinning the ball.

Now though, I've gotten used to using the wedge to its full potential. I'm opening it up from tight fairway lies from odd distances. It must have saved me 5 strokes this weekend, hitting greens that I had no business hitting.

It has an amazing grind on it, but you have to be aggressive. It's low bounce and not for the faint of heart. Out of the sand, especially, you have to attack the ball, keeping the clubhead moving.

I love the wedge though. I'm getting the 52 and 56 to complete the trio. I bought them from Shreveport Golf Online.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

hi guys

has anyone out there ever used the zodia unfinished black wedges?????? if so are they as good as they say they are

if you have used them please provide your comments on the 56 and 60 degree wedge and what shaft did you get in them???? wondering if the combination of the wedge and spinner shaft will make the ball spin too much and if you did what frequency did you put in ???

34790[/snapback]

I am using a Zodia KM Tour US Spec in 56 (bent to 55) and 59; length is 1/2 inch over getting a SW of D5 and D6 in a Rifle 5.5.

The 59 is marvelous - the effective bounce is below the stated 9 degrees because of the grinding of heel, toe and trailing edge. You can do anything with this wedge. I don't come in steep so I am not putting tons of spin on the ball but I do get drop and stop and one hop checks. Swing is changing so I am likely to get more spin now.

My advice is to call Chip Usher and buy them from him and/or put in the new Nippon 1150 Tour in them. Great shaft that I have in my 50 Miura. They are true to flex at about 5.7 in stiff so I might softstep them in the 56 and 59.

The US Spec is a limited hand ground edition by the master at Zodia and are gound to US Conditions. Those are the only Zodias I would get if playng in the US. Pricey. But the 59 is well worth it.

I had the 52 Zodia but it wasn't getting the distance I wanted - about 114 is what I wanted before my swing change - and it doesn't have enough bounce to bend stronger.

So I bought the Miura 50 - wow - great wedge and almost half the price of the Zodia. If doing it over again, I might go Miura in 55-56, too but still get the Zodia 59 with the 1150 Shaft.

I think you can save money by going Miura in the Gap and Zodia in the other two. That's about all the advice I can give.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

hi guys

34790[/snapback]

I am using a Zodia KM Tour US Spec in 56 (bent to 55) and 59; length is 1/2 inch over getting a SW of D5 and D6 in a Rifle 5.5.

The 59 is marvelous - the effective bounce is below the stated 9 degrees because of the grinding of heel, toe and trailing edge. You can do anything with this wedge. I don't come in steep so I am not putting tons of spin on the ball but I do get drop and stop and one hop checks. Swing is changing so I am likely to get more spin now.

My advice is to call Chip Usher and buy them from him and/or put in the new Nippon 1150 Tour in them. Great shaft that I have in my 50 Miura. They are true to flex at about 5.7 in stiff so I might softstep them in the 56 and 59.

The US Spec is a limited hand ground edition by the master at Zodia and are gound to US Conditions. Those are the only Zodias I would get if playng in the US. Pricey. But the 59 is well worth it.

I had the 52 Zodia but it wasn't getting the distance I wanted - about 114 is what I wanted before my swing change - and it doesn't have enough bounce to bend stronger.

So I bought the Miura 50 - wow - great wedge and almost half the price of the Zodia. If doing it over again, I might go Miura in 55-56, too but still get the Zodia 59 with the 1150 Shaft.

I think you can save money by going Miura in the Gap and Zodia in the other two. That's about all the advice I can give.

34853[/snapback]

I currently carry both a 56 and 59 US spec. They are shafted with DG s300. These wedges are about as good as it gets regarding feel and spin. The bounce angles are very shallow and require an agressive move through the ball, if you have a steep angle of attack. On very soft turf they will dig and cause fat shots if you are not cognizant of the bounce. I carry a Scratch 56 with 14 degrees of bounce when necessary i.e. for sand and soft turf. If they fit your swing and playing conditions, they are about as good as it gets. Chip and Putt.com (Chip Usher) can assist you.

Dirk

hi guys

34790[/snapback]

34853[/snapback]

I currently carry both a 56 and 59 US spec. They are shafted with DG s300. These wedges are about as good as it gets regarding feel and spin. The bounce angles are very shallow and require an agressive move through the ball, if you have a steep angle of attack. On very soft turf they will dig and cause fat shots if you are not cognizant of the bounce. I carry a Scratch 56 with 14 degrees of bounce when necessary i.e. for sand and soft turf. If they fit your swing and playing conditions, they are about as good as it gets. Chip and Putt.com (Chip Usher) can assist you.

Dirk

35437[/snapback]

Dirk makes a great point.

I normally use my Zodias in very dry and firm conditions in Texas and they work wonderfully. But I did play at a course that waters a lot and had some trouble with digging. One mus tbe carful. I also have some Scratch wedges with a wider sole and more effective bounce than the Zodias for softer or winter conditions.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• 1 month later...
I have used a Zodia US Spec since March this year.  Specs:

59°, D3.5, Standard Length/Lie, Nippon NS Pro 1050, Stiff

Earlier in the year, I used this club really for its grooves only.  I could bang down on the back of a ball and get it to stop b/c the grooves are sooooo good at spinning the ball.

Now though, I've gotten used to using the wedge to its full potential.  I'm opening it up from tight fairway lies from odd distances.  It must have saved me 5 strokes this weekend, hitting greens that I had no business hitting.

It has an amazing grind on it, but you have to be aggressive.  It's low bounce and not for the faint of heart.  Out of the sand, especially, you have to attack the ball, keeping the clubhead moving.

I love the wedge though.  I'm getting the 52 and 56 to complete the trio.  I bought them from Shreveport Golf Online.

34839[/snapback]

I have played Zodia Wedges on and off over the past three years. I think they are very good looking, and spin productiong machines. Mine have a custom Joe K Grind on them.

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter