Carbon Steel Maintenance

ajlacombe - "ding" infers that its not a ding or that it is something else, indicating that i am wrong...also that i would have to be a metalurgy issue

swingman - you were AMAZED at the responses and you stated that have no dings after picking up that ball and that the only logical way i could have gotten one is via a rock

drewspin - you can't believe this is still going on and the ding is due to me putting the putter in the back...

THIS IS WHY THIS IS STILL GOING ON!!!

i told you my story, and if you think i am either wrong or lying, i have ot keep telling you i am not wrong or lying...

i tried ot help this topic by telling a story about what happened to me, and you guys are just saying that its never happened to you...you are saying that it can't happen unless something else is involved...

does it really matter that much to you that i got a ding in my putter differently than i say i did?

back to my carpentry

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SwingMan checking in -- all I said is that a pebble (not a rock -- please do not misquote me -lol ) looks to have gotten between the ball and the putter. That could have caused a ding without you knowing it.

Or maybe your dog stepped on the putter head one day -- the head glanced against the hard floor causing a ding -- your dog, knowing he'd be severely punished for dinging a putter - pawed the head, once again placing the shaft up against the wall.

The Master never knew...........

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Putter Disclaimer From A Putter

We are going to ding if you use on the course. If i'm a carbon putters I will rust over time. We are made to make putts and we should be used in all conditions. Consider use tools and please take care of use with silcon rags and sprays but we will rust and we will ding at anytime of normal use. We are considered tools of the trade and not pieces of art. Go to a collectors house and look on the wall for pieces of art. Thanks. Putter out.

Nike VR Limited 10.5 BlueBoard 83x
Nike VR Limited 15* BlueBoard 83x
Adams Pro 21* Fubuki AX 82x
Adams XTD Forged 4-Pw DG
Titleist Vokey 50* 55* 60* TI DG
Scotty Cameron 009 33 Inch

• 2 years later...

I think ive read somewhere that car wax or carnuba wax would work on carbon putters right. Maybe zaino or symol or some other type of carnuba wax can repel water and fertilizers..

what do you guys think? maybe just wipe down the putter with a few coats of car wax...

Isnt that what flitz is? a gun wax

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=118623

I have a few scotty rags and even a silicone gun rag but what concerns me is what do I soak it with after these rags has dried out? I few of them already feels dry and not oily/greasy anymore. Would buying a can of crc electrical silicone and spraying the rags again or should I just dump it and pick up new rags? I think the gun rags are pretty cheap at the gun store.

And how long does the silicone spray last on a putter? Is this something I can spray on lightly and not have to worry about it for a week or two? Keep in mind I will be gaming my putters at least twice a week.

I use the CRC electrical grade silicone on all of my carbon putters, most of which are finished in black oxide which of course will rust if not protected. You want a none petroleum based silicone for two reasons.

Some petroleum based products like WD40 will harm the finish. Second, anything oily allows particles like sand which can scratch the finish and fertilizer which will accelerate the corrosion (rust) process to stick to the head. Next thing you know you have this stuff in your headcover and that is not a good thing.

Just lightly spray it over the head every few days and it will be good to go. It will have no effect on feel or performance. CRC electrical grade can be found at Lowes or any electrical supply store.

A few days is ok, I just dont want to maintain it every round or every hole even. Now I find myself wiping it down after every hole and even using my hands and fingers to wipe off the finger prints. thats bad.. I should be worrying about my game, not my putter..

Im wondering if a product like fritz or some other type of wax would sustain the film or coat longer. Like say a month or two. That would be perfect..

I dont mind doing it, but I feel that the putter should work for me, not the other way around.. :o

They dont have it at the lowes and home depot I went to. I have to end up ordering it online. Make sure it doesnt contain petroleum disallate...

I have expensive german wax and zaino.. I think im going to give that a try on my studio select first before I do it to my black oxide and torched putters.

I bought a can just this week at a Lowes in Indiana. Make sure you look in the electrical supply section.

Mark

I'm contemplating a new purchase and just want to check my facts concerning carbon vs stainless.

The way I understand it is that carbon is softer than stainless but is more affected by fertilizer and such on the greens, making it more high maintenance.

You could mitigate this by coating the carbon steel with something, but this would affect the feel (softness) of the putter.

Given this information, can I make the generalization that if I want a low maintenance putter (one that I don't have to silicon and dry fanatically) I would be better off going with stainless? Or are there low maintenance carbon steel putters available?

Thanks.

I have read through most of the posts here and as a custom putter maker here are the true down to earth facts.

1. Carbon Steel Rusts

2. Black Oxide wears off

3. Stainless is not stainproof

4. Stainless will rust

5. Aluminum will NOT rust.

Also the fact that my primary business is as an engineer working with storm water near the coast in North Carolina I have seen it all first hand. Steel, any kind of steel, will rust. Store a stainless putter wet in a headcover for a week and you will get rust.

Also with the fact that I hate stainless steel putters with today's newer harder feeling golf balls I wanted a way to make carbon viable for the everyday player. There is one and only one way I have found to do this. The polymer coating we use. It is inert, it does not react to fertilizer, water, salt. Basically you get the feel of carbon with the maintenance of stainless steel.

For care of a polymer coated carbon steel putter, um just like stainless, do not store it wet. For black oxide, it will be ok, but over time black oxide wears off. Oil can, gun blue, torching and others on carbon steel will require if you play and there is fertilizer down you need to clean and oil your putter. If you play in the rain you will need to not store it in your headcover and dry them both off. You will need periodic oiling.

If you have any other questions shoot me a message.

ok so I got my few cans of CRC silicone spray from amazon.com. Its the blue can for electrical but nowhere on the can does it say food grade. DO you guys think its safe to spray on the putter and paintfills? What about the copper insert on the tei3 scotty?

Reading the contents i dont see petroleum disallates anywhere but it does have liquefied petroleum gas.

ok so I got my few cans of CRC silicone spray from amazon.com. Its the blue can for electrical but nowhere on the can does it say food grade. DO you guys think its safe to spray on the putter and paintfills? What about the copper insert on the tei3 scotty?

Reading the contents i dont see petroleum disallates anywhere but it does have liquefied petroleum gas.

See reply #42. I hate to repeat myself.

yea i read your post, and i studied your picture. problem is, mine does not say food grade so its not edible. hahaha

seriously, I just want to make sure the product im using doesnt eat up the paint fills or finish. The way it is now I am getting some discoloration and scratches on my torched scotty and its only been 2 rounds. :(

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I had a quick question for those WAY more knowledgeable than myself. If I have a carbon steel putter that has rusted what would you suggest I use to remove the rust? My wife decided it needed to not be stored right and it ended up getting wet and sitting for about a month while I was in school. I only ask because this is a 1/1 Bettinardi and is very important to me and I don't want to ruin it by using the wrong thing to remove it.

heres what i use...after every use. btw, its silicon

[url="http://www.scottycameron.com/webstore/do/products/accessories/33700"]SC Oil Cloth[/url]

SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
K-Signature
WITB Link

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I had a quick question for those WAY more knowledgeable than myself. If I have a carbon steel putter that has rusted what would you suggest I use to remove the rust? My wife decided it needed to not be stored right and it ended up getting wet and sitting for about a month while I was in school. I only ask because this is a 1/1 Bettinardi and is very important to me and I don't want to ruin it by using the wrong thing to remove it.

I've had good luck with Flitz if the rust isn't too substantial. .just apply with a rag and use some elbow grease. Hopefully you won't have any pitting yet...

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

• 4 months later...