2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Kzg Evolutions, Are They Forgiving?

little brit

Hi, I am a fairly new golfer but my swing is coming along nicely, and my irons are really not good for me now, so I am looking for some nice new clubs. I love the look and feel of the KZG evolutions that a club fitter showed me, but am concerned that they aren't forgiving enough for me, forgiveness wise how do you think they would compare to clubs like X18, Fusion, or MX-23. I liked the feel of the Fusions but think they are a bit ugly, The X18 looks nice but didn't feel so nice. Also I guess I am interested in the MX-900 has anyone seen these yet? I am told that I need a club with not much offset, traditionally styled, errors in my swing tend to more of a pull never a slice due to overturning too quickly sometimes. I would appreciate any feedback that you have for me. I don't want to end up spending a lot on clubs that would make my iron shots too difficult, just because I love the look of them :clapping:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are forgiving, IMO. I have been looking at a set, but think maybe MP-37s would be better. Personally I don't like the look of larger blades.

God Bless

Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

Having blades or blade-ish short irons should be fine. Scoring irons are easier to hit since they are well shorter.

Which clubs did you hit? Do you hit a 3 iron anyways? If you hit the Evolution 5 iron or even 6 iron well, the set will allow you and your swing to work up to the 3 and 4 irons.

KZG forgings are pretty soft and tend to have good build quality and finish in my experience.

$.02

Hi, I am a fairly new golfer but my swing is coming along nicely, and my irons are really not good for me now, so I am looking for some nice new clubs. I love the look and feel of the KZG evolutions that a club fitter showed me, but am concerned that they aren't forgiving enough for me, forgiveness wise how do you think they would compare to clubs like X18, Fusion, or MX-23. I liked the feel of the Fusions but think they are a bit ugly, The X18 looks nice but didn't feel so nice. Also I guess I am interested in the MX-900 has anyone seen these yet? I am told that I need a club with not much offset, traditionally styled, errors in my swing tend to more of a pull never a slice due to overturning too quickly sometimes. I would appreciate any feedback that you have for me. I don't want to end up spending a lot on clubs that would make my iron shots too difficult, just because I love the look of them  :clapping:

35018[/snapback]

They are very good irons I have a mixed set KZG evolutions 4-7, 8-PW 50 degree blade, with project X rifles 5.5. 2 degree up. Golf pride grip. I shot my best score with these set 1 under. Definately try them, these irons where built for me fitted and all.. so its a keeper. Goodluck

Having blades or blade-ish short irons should be fine. Scoring irons are easier to hit since they are well shorter.

Which clubs did you hit? Do you hit a 3 iron anyways? If you hit the Evolution 5 iron or even 6 iron well, the set will allow you and your swing to work up to the 3 and 4 irons.

KZG forgings are pretty soft and tend to have good build quality and finish in my experience.

$.02

35316[/snapback]

I hit the 5 iron, I felt pretty comfortable with it but it was in a small area and I only hit it a few times so I couldn't check out the ball flight etc. It was also too long and stiff for me but it felt great off the face. I was using woods mostly during play but am now using my irons as I am finding I am getting very good distance and accuracy with the irons. but my current set is a mix with hybrids. I love the look and feel of them but don't want to make my life difficult if they are too unforgiving. (this game is more than hard enough)

Hi, I am a fairly new golfer but my swing is coming along nicely, and my irons are really not good for me now, so I am looking for some nice new clubs. I love the look and feel of the KZG evolutions that a club fitter showed me, but am concerned that they aren't forgiving enough for me, forgiveness wise how do you think they would compare to clubs like X18, Fusion, or MX-23. I liked the feel of the Fusions but think they are a bit ugly, The X18 looks nice but didn't feel so nice. Also I guess I am interested in the MX-900 has anyone seen these yet? I am told that I need a club with not much offset, traditionally styled, errors in my swing tend to more of a pull never a slice due to overturning too quickly sometimes. I would appreciate any feedback that you have for me. I don't want to end up spending a lot on clubs that would make my iron shots too difficult, just because I love the look of them  :clapping:

35018[/snapback]

Components have no resale value. Stick with the OEMs.

35018[/snapback]

Be very careful with the Evolutions or any other KZG, Wishon, etc. iron. I had a set of Evos briefly, and they never worked for me. I am a firm believer in the progressive cb.mb set-up. For me the KZG long irons did not offer enough forgiveness. The short irons did not distinguish themselves. I'd recommend the Bridgestone J33, Hogan FTX and even the Wilson Fi5 over the KZGs. All are more playable. Also, you'll likely get killed on resale if you decide to sell the KZGs. Good luck.

The Mizuno MP-27s are easier to hit than the Evos. You might not like the offset though. If you can get used to them, they're superb irons. The MP-37 is a pure blade, not sure this is what you want.

36478[/snapback]

Hey, no the offset and size of the evolutions I like very much. I have found that I pull or pull hook with a big offset so I need a medium one. A pure blade sounds way too much of a player club for me I do want a forgiving cavity back. I just really liked the feel of forged.

• 2 weeks later...
I played the Evo's for a long time. I loved the feel of them, very soft and forgiving. Do yourself a favor and get a set, you won't be disappointed.

35626[/snapback]

I played them too and must agree. Fairly forgiving and excellent distance, especially with the Nippon Pro GS 950's I have in them.

40946[/snapback]

Thanks for your reply, although I think them gorgeous, I feel that maybe the X18 pros might be even more forgiving for me, and if they don't work well for me an easier resell. I was looking at the Maltby playability factors to get an idea and I think these are supposed to be much easier.

I have owned 2 sets of KZG irons, first was a combo set of CBII and blades, I also had a set of Evolutions. The quality of KZG peoducts is very good, the feel is soft. Having said that, the Evolutions just did not do anything for me, the heads looked too big to my eye, I preferred my combo set much more. KZGs are costly to buy and resale on them does suck as noted by MatrixcMan.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

I have owned 2 sets of KZG irons, first was a combo set of CBII and blades, I also had a set of Evolutions. The quality of KZG peoducts is very good, the feel is soft. Having said that, the Evolutions just did not do anything for me, the heads looked too big to my eye, I preferred my combo set much more. KZGs are costly to buy and resale on them does suck as noted by MatrixcMan.

41334[/snapback]

thanks for your reply. I have just got my new Titleist driver that I absolutely love, have you tried the 804 os irons?