2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

This Book should be part of your game, and life - Dr John Sarno

I've posted a number of times within threads about Dr John Sarno, but the relevancy to all of the pains we experience as avid golfers deserves its own thread.

My personal experience: I've long been a debilitated golfer due to back pain. Back pain has effected every aspect of my life since I was 13, however it stood out far more while golfing. I played numerous tournaments on Vicodin just to get through. I was diagnosed with Scoliosis when I was 12 and oddly enough the pain started soon thereafter (now I know why).

In 2009 I was diagnosed with compressed disks.

In 2011 I spent over $3,500 in Chiropractor, Acupuncture, and deep tissue massage. Back pain ruled my life.

I've always been a good golfer, shot 99 my first round when I was 16 and now play to a 3. The most frustrating part of golf for me was the feeling that I had a different swing every time I played or practiced due to a new pain or pain in a new place in my back. I always told myself that if I could just get my back fixed then my game could make it to the next level.

Last year I started working out with a personal trainer. I thought strengthening my core would help the pain. It did initially but a few months in, it was worse that before I started.

Finally one day in November while listening Howard Stern a crew member told him he was full of Sh*$ about believing Dr Sarnos theories on Back pain. Howard was so adamant about how back pain could be completely cured I figured I had to at least give the book a chance.

I ordered Mind Over Back Pain and let it sit around for a while before I sat down and read the book. Bear in mind its the first book I've read in over 10 years. I saw myself on every page of the book and within 1 week my pain was almost gone. I was very excited, and decided to read his other books. They are all phenomenal in content. Healing Back Pain is by far the best for curing back pain.

I am now over 6 months in and I have NO back pain at all. I don't even think about it anymore, which 7 months ago was an absolutely insane thought.

After reading the books I see so many golfers that could benefit from the genius of Dr Sarno. The premise behind all of his books is that 99+% of all back pain is psychosomatic in origin. While the pain most of us experience is very real, and caused by a very real physical problem, the origin stems in the brain. The brain is able to use a lack of oxygen to muscles, ligaments and organs in order to cause pain. The pain is intended as a distraction from unwanted unconscious emotions that the brain would rather not deal with. In order for the suppressed emotions to stay suppressed the brain causes pain to distract your mind from those issues. The cure is basically the knowledge that this is the cause and the ability to convince yourself not to allow your brain to trick you with the pain.

I think the premise behind it sounds very fantastical, but when accompanied by the success stories it all becomes real. The medical community frowns on his theories because so many of them would be out of business if Sarnos thinking was mainstream.

I Still think its amazing how many Back "problems" truly aren't problems that need to cause pain. People have surgery for scoliosis, herniated discs, slipped discs, on and on and on, while almost every single one of them can be treated in your brain and life instead of with a knife. Most people that have surgery end up right back where they started with pain.

In addition to back pain there are a whole host of problems we deal with that are treated similarly. Tennis elbow, tendonitis, migraine, sleep problems, leg pains, shoulder pains, etc etc.

I know that many people will say such and such xray or MRI shows this or that, Dr Smith said this is the problem, but if you're at the end of your rope reading a book with an open mind is worth every minute you'll spend. There are also a lot of people that just cant be convinced that this line of thinking can be true, to those people I'm sorry you read this post. To anyone thats open minded and tired of pain give it a shot.

BTW I have nothing to do with the book. I hope I didn't sound too much like a commercial, but as a non religious person I now see how people turn into preachers. This changed my life for the positive in so many ways I hope that just mentioning to others might help them too!

The only bad part of the whole story is that my thought that if I could just fix my back pain I could get better has not come true. I still play to a 3 and haven't improved one damn bit. I do enjoy being able to walk after I shoot 80 though...

I haven't spent one cent on my back this year. I went from taking at least 8 advil a day, to not having one in the house for 4 months. I have doubled if not tripled all my max's weight lifting and my swing speed went up by 15 MPH in less than one month.

I hope this helps someone!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ncosper' timestamp='1369172343' post='7079696']
I've posted a number of times within threads about Dr John Sarno, but the relevancy to all of the pains we experience as avid golfers deserves its own thread.

My personal experience: I've long been a debilitated golfer due to back pain. Back pain has effected every aspect of my life since I was 13, however it stood out far more while golfing. I played numerous tournaments on Vicodin just to get through. I was diagnosed with Scoliosis when I was 12 and oddly enough the pain started soon thereafter (now I know why).

In 2011 I spent over $3,500 in Chiropractor, Acupuncture, and deep tissue massage. Back pain ruled my life.

I've always been a good golfer, shot 99 my first round when I was 16 and now play to a 3. The most frustrating part of golf for me was the feeling that I had a different swing every time I played or practiced due to a new pain or pain in a new place in my back. I always told myself that if I could just get my back fixed then my game could make it to the next level.

Last year I started working out with a personal trainer. I thought strengthening my core would help the pain. It did initially but a few months in, it was worse that before I started.

Finally one day in November while listening Howard Stern a crew member told him he was full of Sh*$ about believing Dr Sarnos theories on Back pain. Howard was so adamant about how back pain could be completely cured I figured I had to at least give the book a chance.

I ordered Mind Over Back Pain and let it sit around for a while before I sat down and read the book. Bear in mind its the first book I've read in over 10 years. I saw myself on every page of the book and within 1 week my pain was almost gone. I was very excited, and decided to read his other books. They are all phenomenal in content. Healing Back Pain is by far the best for curing back pain.

I am now over 6 months in and I have NO back pain at all. I don't even think about it anymore, which 7 months ago was an absolutely insane thought.

After reading the books I see so many golfers that could benefit from the genius of Dr Sarno. The premise behind all of his books is that 99+% of all back pain is psychosomatic in origin. While the pain most of us experience is very real, and caused by a very real physical problem, the origin stems in the brain. The brain is able to use a lack of oxygen to muscles, ligaments and organs in order to cause pain. The pain is intended as a distraction from unwanted unconscious emotions that the brain would rather not deal with. In order for the suppressed emotions to stay suppressed the brain causes pain to distract your mind from those issues. The cure is basically the knowledge that this is the cause and the ability to convince yourself not to allow your brain to trick you with the pain.

I think the premise behind it sounds very fantastical, but when accompanied by the success stories it all becomes real. T[b]he medical community frowns on his theories because so many of them would be out of business if Sarnos thinking was mainstream.[/b]

I Still think its amazing how many Back "problems" truly aren't problems that need to cause pain. People have surgery for scoliosis, herniated discs, slipped discs, on and on and on, while almost every single one of them can be treated in your brain and life instead of with a knife. Most people that have surgery end up right back where they started with pain.

In addition to back pain there are a whole host of problems we deal with that are treated similarly. Tennis elbow, tendonitis, migraine, sleep problems, leg pains, shoulder pains, etc etc.

I know that many people will say such and such xray or MRI shows this or that, Dr Smith said this is the problem, but if you're at the end of your rope reading a book with an open mind is worth every minute you'll spend. There are also a lot of people that just cant be convinced that this line of thinking can be true, to those people I'm sorry you read this post. To anyone thats open minded and tired of pain give it a shot.

BTW I have nothing to do with the book. I hope I didn't sound too much like a commercial, but as a non religious person I now see how people turn into preachers. This changed my life for the positive in so many ways I hope that just mentioning to others might help them too!

The only bad part of the whole story is that my thought that if I could just fix my back pain I could get better has not come true. I still play to a 3 and haven't improved one damn bit. I do enjoy being able to walk after I shoot 80 though...

I haven't spent one cent on my back this year. I went from taking at least 8 advil a day, to not having one in the house for 4 months. I have doubled if not tripled all my max's weight lifting and my swing speed went up by 15 MPH in less than one month.

[/quote]

Wow! the book sounds awesome! Thanks very much for sharing.

This theory is not a new one but it is little known - and unsurprisingly, the medical community actively mocks these theories despite having an almost zero succes rate in curing chronic pain.

I first came across the idea when i was recommended healing by EFT. The practitioner was certain that pain was almost always caused by an emotional factor.

I've just ordered the book, btw. Only about £4.50.

[quote name='PJ72' timestamp='1369253975' post='7087254']

I think the premise behind it sounds very fantastical, but when accompanied by the success stories it all becomes real. T[b]he medical community frowns on his theories because so many of them would be out of business if Sarnos thinking was mainstream.[/b]

[/quote]

This theory is not a new one but it is little known - and unsurprisingly, the medical community actively mocks these theories despite having an almost zero succes rate in curing chronic pain.

I first came across the idea when i was recommended healing by EFT. The practitioner was certain that pain was almost always caused by an emotional factor.

[/quote]
The medical community actively mocks and disregards the theories because they know that if the mainstream caught on and used the methods Sarno recommends Billions in the medical industry wouldn't be spent. Its saved me thousands already!

Its amazing how much we know about the mechanics of the body, but almost nothing about the brain. The best thing I think about Dr Sarnos treatment of these pains is how he treats it. In some cases merely the knowledge that it is caused by something emotional cures the pain, in other cases finding out what emotion causes the pain is necessary. Either way just knowing the cause makes the brain unsuccessful in distracting you from that emotion and the pain goes away. He calls is TMS, tension myositis syndrom. I never thought I would want to say I had a syndrom, but I proudly say I am a TMS sufferer. Id rather say that all day than walk with a hunch and be in pain constantly!

All of his books are super inexpensive on amazon now. Pick it up used or better yet get it on audible.com. I burned them to cd and anytime I get a hint of pain I turn on the audiobook and listen in the car. Its almost always gone within a few hours.

[quote name='ncosper' timestamp='1369276762' post='7089646']

[/quote]

[/quote]
The medical community actively mocks and disregards the theories because they know that if the mainstream caught on and used the methods Sarno recommends Billions in the medical industry wouldn't be spent. Its saved me thousands already!

Its amazing how much we know about the mechanics of the body, but almost nothing about the brain. The best thing I think about Dr Sarnos treatment of these pains is how he treats it. In some cases merely the knowledge that it is caused by something emotional cures the pain, in other cases finding out what emotion causes the pain is necessary. Either way just knowing the cause makes the brain unsuccessful in distracting you from that emotion and the pain goes away. He calls is TMS, tension myositis syndrom. I never thought I would want to say I had a syndrom, but I proudly say I am a TMS sufferer. Id rather say that all day than walk with a hunch and be in pain constantly!

[u]All of his books are super inexpensive on amazon now. Pick it up used or better yet get it on audible.com. I burned them to cd and anytime I get a hint of pain I turn on the audiobook and listen in the car. Its almost always gone within a few hours.[/u]
[/quote]
They have libraries too.

[quote name='Matt10' timestamp='1369294221' post='7090486']
[quote name='ncosper' timestamp='1369280297' post='7090046']
There is a kindle version! I have "healing back pain, the mind body connection" on kindle.
Check it out
[/quote]
I saw that one - is that going to have the same information as the Mind Over Back Pain?
[/quote]
No, definitely go with Healing Back Pain. Mind over back pain was his first book. The info is very good but he learned a lot more about the psychology of the disorder before he wrote healing back pain. The book gives a lot of better information as to the cause and treatment. Mind over back pain basically just says that once you know about the cause the pain goes away, which works for some (me) but not all. Healing back pain goes into how things work in the mind and how its treated. I would suggest skipping mind over back pain all together.

[quote name='bdcava' timestamp='1369312264' post='7090962']
[quote name='ncosper' timestamp='1369276762' post='7089646']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[u]All of his books are super inexpensive on amazon now. Pick it up used or better yet get it on audible.com. I burned them to cd and anytime I get a hint of pain I turn on the audiobook and listen in the car. Its almost always gone within a few hours.[/u]
[/quote]
They have libraries too.
[/quote]
Except its cheaper to buy the book, ship it to your house, than it is to burn the gas to try and find and drive to a library.....

This book worked for me. I used to get severe spasms a couple times a year. One time I had them,I was cooped up in the house for a week,unable to move.
My wife was going to the mall,so I went to get out of the house.I could barely shuffle around. I went to the bookstore while she shopped. I found this book and sat down to read it. I bought into what he was saying and pretty much had the whole book read ,when about 45 minutes later my wife came to get me.
I got up,put the book back and we walked out. Only when we were almost back to the car did I realize I was walking pretty much normal and the pain was 90% better!
I went back to buy the book the next day,because I wanted Dr. Sarno to get his money,even though once you get the idea,you don't need the book. Basically,the whole book is contained on a one page "reminders" list.
I can't say it will work for everyone, but it works for me.

[quote name='ncosper' timestamp='1369233236' post='7084490']
After I Howard stern mentioned it I read the reviews on amazon and that just reassured me that it wasn't a waste of time. Good luck! I hope it works.
[/quote]

Sell false hope somewhere else. Diet and exercise can be an immense help for some. Playing make believe is for lazy people buying hope.

I think the premise behind it sounds very fantastical, but when accompanied by the success stories it all becomes real. The medical community frowns on his theories because so many of them would be out of business if Sarnos thinking was mainstream.

[/quote]

Great, post Ncosper for all of those who love golf. But, hate back pain. Recently, I noticed that my back pain got worse when things go wrong at work (staffing industry - do not let your kids do this, ha, ha). My back would tighten severely and the result was pain. Now,
recognizing this made me "try" to stay calm and I have had some success. But, usually the pain wins. Do you have any tips to keep calm and overcome this horrible cycle? It's amazing, when Saturday comes, with no pressures of the day and I am playing golf...no pain!!
The connection is real, overcoming this has been a challenge.

Tanner

[quote name='AlexCzervic' timestamp='1369351746' post='7095064']
After I Howard stern mentioned it I read the reviews on amazon and that just reassured me that it wasn't a waste of time. Good luck! I hope it works.
[/quote]

Sell false hope somewhere else. Diet and exercise can be an immense help for some. Playing make believe is for lazy people buying hope.
[/quote]
Precisely why you likely live in pain filled with placebos to temporarily keep it away (ie diet and exercise). Diet and exercise are great, but have no correlation to pain.

[quote name='Tanner25' timestamp='1369351926' post='7095082']

[/quote]

Great, post Ncosper for all of those who love golf. But, hate back pain. Recently, I noticed that my back pain got worse when things go wrong at work (staffing industry - do not let your kids do this, ha, ha). My back would tighten severely and the result was pain. Now,
recognizing this made me "try" to stay calm and I have had some success. But, usually the pain wins. Do you have any tips to keep calm and overcome this horrible cycle? It's amazing, when Saturday comes, with no pressures of the day and I am playing golf...no pain!!

Tanner
[/quote]
Quite frankly trying to feel calm won't do a whole lot. Sarno addresses this a number of times in the Mind Body Connection. You can't control the feeling of anxiety or anger in the unconscious mind but the timing you mentioned is very common. Read the book and it will help a ton. Realizing what makes the pain come on at work and in your life will help go a long ways to making it go away. The books will help you identify those things.
Good luck

[quote name='ncosper' timestamp='1369354679' post='7095382']

[/quote]

Tanner
[/quote]
Quite frankly trying to feel calm won't do a whole lot. Sarno addresses this a number of times in the Mind Body Connection. You can't control the feeling of anxiety or anger in the unconscious mind but the timing you mentioned is very common. Read the book and it will help a ton. Realizing what makes the pain come on at work and in your life will help go a long ways to making it go away. The books will help you identify those things.
Good luck
[/quote]

Your posts read like those of a religious fanatic.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

[quote name='northgolf' timestamp='1369357096' post='7095642']
[quote name='ncosper' timestamp='1369354679' post='7095382']

[/quote]

Tanner
[/quote]
Good luck
[/quote]

Your posts read like those of a religious fanatic.
[/quote]
As long as I'm pain free, I could care less what you think.

[quote name='northgolf' timestamp='1369367743' post='7096840']
[quote name='ncosper' timestamp='1369361532' post='7096164']

[/quote]

The essence of ignorance.
[/quote]

Lmao! Ambivalence to you opinion is not nearly ignorance. Ignorance is dismissing a theory that you don't know anything about, therefore I think you have in realty described yourself with you last comment.
You really are proof positive why dr sarno's methodology isn't mainstream. Ignorant, closed minded and low iq people can't grasp things outside of the physical, immediate reality they face.

[quote name='ncosper' timestamp='1369354534' post='7095360']
[quote name='AlexCzervic' timestamp='1369351746' post='7095064']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Precisely why you likely live in pain filled with placebos to temporarily keep it away (ie diet and exercise). Diet and exercise are great, but have no correlation to pain.
[/quote]

I have not read the book, so have no opinion one way or the other. However, when you say diet and exercise have no correlation to pain, you have lost a great deal of credibility. Such a statement flies not only in the face of science, but also my own experience. Let's start with exercise: one of the primary causes of back pain is tight calfs and hamstrings. Various exercises, including stretching, yoga, walking, etc.... can have a dramatic impact on back pain. Next is the issue of diet. One of the greatest causes of pain, back or otherwise, is inflammation. It is beyond dispute that inflammation can be controlled through diet. From personal experience, if I cut out sugar and bad carbs, I have no pain anywhere, especially my back. It's one thing to support an alternative form of treatment (which again, because I have not read the book, cannot comment on, but I believe that it works for you). It is quite another thing to put out a blanket statement that "diet and exercise have no correlation to pain". People who are overweight, don't exercise and eat McDonalds and claim to have back pain cannot seriously claim their pain is psychosomatic. I would submit that eating clean not only affects pain, but is the number one factor in reducing it. And this, sir, is based on my experience.

Ignorance is a lack/absence of knowledge, nothing more.

Mind over matter can fix a broken heart but not a broken leg.....Much less a compressed disk.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

[quote name='ncosper' timestamp='1369376033' post='7097290']
[quote name='northgolf' timestamp='1369367743' post='7096840']
[quote name='ncosper' timestamp='1369361532' post='7096164']
[/quote]

The essence of ignorance.
[/quote]

Lmao! Ambivalence to you opinion is not nearly ignorance. Ignorance is dismissing a theory that you don't know anything about, therefore I think you have in realty described yourself with you last comment.
You really are proof positive why dr sarno's methodology isn't mainstream. Ignorant, closed minded and low iq people can't grasp things outside of the physical, immediate reality they face.
[/quote]

Yes, absolutely.

And what motive can he have do you think?

Yes...bingo!

[quote name='mdgboxx' timestamp='1369401178' post='7098070']
Ignorance is a lack/absence of knowledge, nothing more.

Mind over matter can fix a broken heart but not a broken leg.....Much less a compressed disk.
[/quote]
Very true however who says a compressed disk causes pain? You've been taught that which is why it causes pain. Fact is the nerves that people point out that cause pain from compressed disks vary greatly and are typically no really even close to the disk. Typically your pain gets worse after you are diagnosed. Disk problems are not nerve problems and there is no reason why a disk has to cause back pain.

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1369408957' post='7098934']
Feels a little cultish
[/quote]
Fortunately reading a book won't put you in a cult. If it did we would have a country full of cults of fruity vampires (twilight), bow hunting teenagers (hunger games) and bondage filled orgies (fifty shades of grey). Thankfully (except the last one) reading a book won't put you in a cult.

Really surprised to hear about all the negative/close minded approaches from what is usually a strong and connected community. You didn't see a hoplink in any of the directions to amazon did you? Noone is selling anything, just breeding conversation. It does not need to have these one liner smart-alec remarks that DO NOTHING for the conversation at hand.

If you haven't tried it - don't comment - simple as that. I'm open minded because my dad has severe back pain, and I want to get down to what is the source or an alternate approach. Drs are shoving meds up and down his throat screwing himself up completely. He can't even enjoy a movie sitting down let alone a round of golf.

It's all about attitude and pride. Change your attitude to lower your pride - this world could be a whole lot better with that mindset.