2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Southwest Ohio "Stay-cation"

hibbard.a

I'm going to take a week off of work to golf, but keep the wife happy by being home with her AND saving money (brilliant, right?). I live pretty much right in between Cincinnati and Dayton and I've played quite a few courses in the area. My main goal is to play some of the top courses I haven't played before. These include:

Stonelick Hills

Vineyard

Yankee Trace

Courses I haven't played in a while that I'm considering:

Blue Ash (maybe after a half day at work)

Elks Run (maybe a double with Stonelick)

Hueston Woods (I love the layout, price, and conditioning of this course)

Some of the top courses I've played that I will probably pass on this time:

Shaker Run

Heatherwoode

So here's my tentative line-up for the week:

Monday - Yankee Trace

Tuesday - Vineyard

Wednesday - Stonelick Hills, Elks Run

Thursday - Blue Ash OR Hueston Woods

Friday - Longaberger (my wife has a conference in Columbus, so I offered to tag along)

Are there any others I should consider in the area that I haven't mentioned? Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too live between Cincy and Dayton. Consider Walden Pond and City of Fairfield course. Both are in exceptional shape. Last time I played Fairfield, it was a weekday, and I paid $25 to ride 18. Walden is more pricey. I havent played Shaker this year.

Darkspeed LS 10.5 -  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
ZX4 MKii 4i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

I actually enjoy the layout of Shaker Run a lot. I've probably played there about 5 times. The past couple of times the conditioning has been pretty poor. It kind of bums be out because when I first played there it was always in exceptional shape.

I've played Walden Ponds a few times too. I like the layout, but it gets pretty slow out there a lot. And there are a lot of houses around, which I'm not a big fan of. I do like Fairfield Greens too, and I haven't played there in a while. Maybe I'll consider there also.

Walden on the weekends is not pretty. Very packed - Im guessing they squeeze more t times in. During the week it isnt so bad going off my experience (I typically play during the week). I was very impressed with the Fairfield course.

If you ever want to head out - PM me. Im guessing we do not live too far from each other. Im in Butler Cty.

Yes, I have hit a house at Walden. Oops.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Hey guys I'm in Beckett Ridge. The course at Beckett Ridge is now public and its in really nice shape. Can get really good deals through the week through golf now. I played last week for 20 bucks with cart.

I'm also a quasi-member at Walden. They have like a preferred player type program where you pay a monthly fee and get free range and half off golf after 3pm. If you haven't played Blue Ash in a while I would highly recommend it. The course is in great shape and the new clubhouse is awesome.

"Golf is a stupid game." --Dad

[quote name='hibbard.a' timestamp='1376321496' post='7660282']
I'm in Butler too...Liberty Township. I will keep you in mind.
[/quote]

Fairfield Twp here.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

[quote name='Hi Im Joe' timestamp='1376322077' post='7660348']
Hey guys I'm in Beckett Ridge. The course at Beckett Ridge is now public and its in really nice shape. Can get really good deals through the week through golf now. I played last week for 20 bucks with cart.

I'm also a quasi-member at Walden. They have like a preferred player type program where you pay a monthly fee and get free range and half off golf after 3pm. If you haven't played Blue Ash in a while I would highly recommend it. The course is in great shape and the new clubhouse is awesome.
[/quote]

Lots of local wrx'ers here - man we need to meet up and play some golf!

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

I played Elks Run last week. The fairways are not good at all but the greens were great! Blue Ash is in very nice shape! My experience with Waldon has not been good. I love the course but hate the amount of people they pump out on the course. Stonelick is a fun course. Do you know anyone that can get you on Traditions in Hebron, KY? Traditions is a great course but private.

[quote name='Golf31' timestamp='1376323199' post='7660532']
I played Elks Run last week. The fairways are not good at all but the greens were great! Blue Ash is in very nice shape! My experience with Waldon has not been good. I love the course but hate the amount of people they pump out on the course. Stonelick is a fun course. Do you know anyone that can get you on Traditions in Hebron, KY? Traditions is a great course but private.
[/quote]

The information on Elks Run is good. I was a little concerned as I've not played there in probably 4-5 years (before they shut down and re-opened). I may re-think that one, unless I can get a good deal on it. I remember loving the layout, but I'd rather not pay $50 unless it's in great shape.

When I was down there I played Fox Run in Kenton County, KY (like 20 minutes south of downtown). Fun track. It's a Arthur Hills design so picture long, sprawling hills. The course was tough, fun and conditioned pretty well for a public track. Only thing I didn't love about it was that there are probably 10 blind tee shots on the course haha. I just starting hitting bombs and hoping they would be ok, Played the front hung over and on minimal shot, struggled through a 44... then was E through 7 on the back before making a ugly triple and rounding out with a 39.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Oh yeah and don't stay in the Millennium hotel unless its the only option. Stayed there this past weekend and my god does that place suck. Took a hour (53 minutes technically) to check in. Guy was a total delta bravo at the front desk. Then they charged me $37 for less than 24 hours of parking. I mean, I have paid less to park for 24 hours in Manhattan.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='Lord Helmet' timestamp='1376322352' post='7660392']
[quote name='Hi Im Joe' timestamp='1376322077' post='7660348']

[/quote]

Lots of local wrx'ers here - man we need to meet up and play some golf!
[/quote]

Set it up and I'm in.

EDIT: Sorry to hi-jack your thread OP.

I would skip Elks Run. I played there on Sunday, and it's pretty rough. The greens were slow and shaggy, and a few of the fairways were awful. If you have never been there, it may be worth it due to a pretty good layout. Although it's not even close to being worth their regular rack rates right now.

I would also go to Hueston Woods before Blue Ash. Just my personal preference. Most people seem to really like Blue Ash, and I am definitely in the minority. I just don't enjoy it. Hueston Woods is good...cut thru the woods.....no houses etc. If you don't like doglegs (especially ones to the right)....you won't like Hueston Woods. I can't speak to the conditions though. I haven't been out there this season.

Have you gone to Beavercreek yet? It's about a 45 minute drive from Liberty Twp (I live there as well). Once again, I haven't been there this year yet, but normally get up there at least once a year. I have never seen it in bad shape, and it's a good course.

Another option is Four Bridges, which is in Liberty Twp.

Let me know if you're ever looking to get a game.

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1376420370' post='7669478']
I would skip Elks Run. I played there on Sunday, and it's pretty rough. The greens were slow and shaggy, and a few of the fairways were awful. If you have never been there, it may be worth it due to a pretty good layout. Although it's not even close to being worth their regular rack rates right now.

I would also go to Hueston Woods before Blue Ash. Just my personal preference. Most people seem to really like Blue Ash, and I am definitely in the minority. I just don't enjoy it. Hueston Woods is good...cut thru the woods.....no houses etc. If you don't like doglegs (especially ones to the right)....you won't like Hueston Woods. I can't speak to the conditions though. I haven't been out there this season.

Have you gone to Beavercreek yet? It's about a 45 minute drive from Liberty Twp (I live there as well). Once again, I haven't been there this year yet, but normally get up there at least once a year. I have never seen it in bad shape, and it's a good course.

Another option is Four Bridges, which is in Liberty Twp.

Let me know if you're ever looking to get a game.
[/quote]

Four Bridges is a private club though...right?

Thanks Tarantula. I have played Elks Run and it sounds like I'll skip it this year.

I love Hueston Woods and I will more than likely play there.

I forgot about Beavercreek - I played there last year and enjoyed the course. I will have to add that to my possibilities.

If I am mistaken that Four Bridges is private please let me know. Or if you know of a way to get on. I would love to play there. It's just about 5 minutes from my house.

Thanks to everyone else for the input.

I am 98% sure I am playing on 8/23/13. I have to help my oldest kid move to college and will need to play 18 for therapy. Want to play early? Anyone? Butler Cty area. Gotta be up in Oxford around noon.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

[quote name='hibbard.a' timestamp='1376421125' post='7669574']
Thanks Tarantula. I have played Elks Run and it sounds like I'll skip it this year.

I love Hueston Woods and I will more than likely play there.

I forgot about Beavercreek - I played there last year and enjoyed the course. I will have to add that to my possibilities.

If I am mistaken that Four Bridges is private please let me know. Or if you know of a way to get on. I would love to play there. It's just about 5 minutes from my house.

Thanks to everyone else for the input.
[/quote]

Yes, it is private. I am a member there, and could get you on. They don't allow unaccompanied guests, so I would have to take you out. It's a pretty good course. Nothing that is going to blow you away by any means.

I'm just a little north of you (Middletown).

Hueston Woods is very nice, and if you want to play 36 that day, Indian Ridge is close by in Oxford. I would second Weatherwax if you have not played it (nice long Art Hills design; 36 holes right on property).

Bel-Wood Country Club in Morrow is now allowing some public play (golfnow). Pipestone in Miamisburg was good, but it has been a LONG time since I've played it, so I can't comment on conditioning. I liked Legendary Run as well.

We definitely should get a GolfWrx get together going here in SW Ohio. Seems like we have enough for at least two foursomes. I'm a member at Brown's Run in Middletown, and would be happy to host some guests, if we can ever get a good date and time. It is great condition right now.

Im playing up at Hueston Woods this Sunday. My oldest starts up at Miami(oh) next week - so I foresee alot of rounds up there so I can swing by and 'check' on her. :)

Would love to get a SW Ohio wrx outing.

Again, if anyone is interested early AM 8/23/13 before I move the kiddo up to Oxford, let me know.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

[quote name='Lord Helmet' timestamp='1376492376' post='7674984']
Im playing up at Hueston Woods this Sunday. My oldest starts up at Miami(oh) next week - so I foresee alot of rounds up there so I can swing by and 'check' on her. :)

Would love to get a SW Ohio wrx outing.

Again, if anyone is interested early AM 8/23/13 before I move the kiddo up to Oxford, let me know.
[/quote]

I played hueston woods last week, generally i try to make it out there once a year just bc i love the layout so much. The last couple years the shape of the golf course has been completely awful.. But this year they hired a new course superintendent and the greens are some of the best ive played all year. Definitely worth play especially now... Felt like you can make everything you look at.

Fairfield is in rough shape this year. Walden is always is decent shape if you can look pass the semi bumpy greens.

I would add the Hamilton Elks to your list if you have never played it. Have to book on golfnow to get a tee time. Old School Donald Ross designed 18 holes with another set of 9. Tree lined, rolling fairways, wonderful shape.. I will hopefully be calling that club home next year!

You are spot on with Hueston Woods. It was awful - then this year it has been really nice. Didnt realize a new super was there. But I thought Fairfield was in good shape last time I played.

I have never played Elks, it is 10 minutes from my house. Would love to play there!

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

[quote name='Lord Helmet' timestamp='1376692064' post='7690360']
You are spot on with Hueston Woods. It was awful - then this year it has been really nice. Didnt realize a new super was there. But I thought Fairfield was in good shape last time I played.

I have never played Elks, it is 10 minutes from my house. Would love to play there!
[/quote]

Check out their membership fee's.. Really inexpensive to my eye especially for the quality of the course. Check out golfnow for their tee times. Generally they have something around 230 ish it always seems like for $30 bucks or so..

Few guys i played with at Walden alot last year joined the club this year and have said nothing but good things. Course is never really busy, easy to just pull up and play whenever you want. I think i have played the course 10 or so times and never had to wait on a tee really..

I will have to do that creech. You in for a game next Friday 8/23? Early AM is my only availability, gotta move my kiddo up to Oxford.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

[quote name='Lord Helmet' timestamp='1376692505' post='7690390']
I will have to do that creech. You in for a game next Friday 8/23? Early AM is my only availability, gotta move my kiddo up to Oxford.
[/quote]

I wish i could play! unfortunately have to work that morning. We do however need to round up some people and get an outing somewhere next month.