2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Caddy Programs

mikpga

Growth of the Game
Had a great meeting today at work! As a PGA Teaching Professional, my deepest passion is to grow the game of golf! Over the past 5 years I have participated in a wide variety of programs which introduced kids to the game at no cost to them. Usually these programs would be a one week or two week curriculum. They would be provided with clubs, instruction, food, etc...Although I think programs like this are great, I am concerned that it might not have the long lasting effect.

During the meeting, a fellow instructor mentioned the idea of bringing a caddy program to our 7 facilities.

I love this idea and would like to get some feedback from all of you...

1. Did you ever caddy?
2. Would you currently use a caddy?
3. How many public facilities have caddy programs?

Through the caddy program, kids will benefit greatly...
1. Learn the game.
2. Be mentored.
3. Develop relationships with golfers.
4. Earn money and potential scholarships.
5. Keep them off 'the streets'.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I caddied for about a year, I had a great time and learned a lot about the game that I thought I already knew. From a golf side I think it help out with seeing the entire course, getting you in the mind set think through where to hit it and where you need to place the ball. It really helped me out with reading greens.

On the none golf side, you get great excersize, it forces you to interact and talk/network with people you normally won't talk with. Also you get paid and get to play some free golf usually.

The Only caddie programs I have seen at at private courses, outside the forcaddie program at Bears Best. I think if you had a semi-private course it would work. You could get the local members to get involved with it.

I would love to use a caddie if it was offered. I am affraid that at a public course they would think that a group of walkers would be slow.....however if you have 4 decent players, you would play faster than a 4some on a cart.

I never caddied as a kid, golf carts had already taken over at my club and whole area in fact. I am now almost 30. I think I would have caddied though sure beats a paper route.

The main thing I think about having a caddie program now is that it would really be too expensive to gain popularity again at most courses. 15-20 bucks a cart seems to be the going rate, how much would a Caddy have to cost the player to make enough revenue for the course?

1. I caddied as a kid and it was a great way to get some money and see how other people play the game.

I was able to caddy for some pretty top amateur players in Ontario Canada when i caddied at Scarboro Country Club in Eastern Toronto (caddied for Paul Davis there, who beat Gary Cowan when he won the Ont Am) and then at my own club at Whitevale (Bruce Brewer, who played on alot of teams with Gary Cowan).

2. Right now no, but if i had the extra money, yes.

3.Theres a caddy program at Bethpage, which is public.

I'm probably a bigger believer in caddie programs than you and I'll save you a lot of time-forget it.Unfortunately,the economics only work in rare instances.The game is moving to a "resort" experience and all the idiocies that entails.Member clubs are frequently now governed by people whose only reference is what they see in Scottsdale,etc.This means cart golf with GPS,cold towels,and beer carts on every other hole.These people don't play golf,they're having an experience.They have no interest in paying extra for a caddie,they have no idea what a caddie does except for what they see on TV.

The problem with the members is bad enough.The problem with the kids is even worse.The days of a teenager being satisfied with a $25 loop are long since gone.Unless you can guarantee a kid at least $60 for a bag,they won't show up.They don't show,the few members who might want to walk get frustrated at the lack of caddies.This is known as a vicious cycle.

I apologize for painting so bleak a picture.I'm just probably further along in my fact gathering.Look at the few non-private places with good programs(Bandon,Pebble Beach,Pinehurst).The green fees are so high that either: 1) the course can afford to subsidize the caddies,or 2) the extra ~$100 for the caddie is inconsequential.The private courses with good caddie programs are almost certainly subsidizing the caddies because they can afford to do it and their members consider a caddie program an asset.

You might want to get in touch with the WGA and the Evans Scholarship people.They do very good work and are passionate about caddie programs.They would be able to help.

im a junior golfer and although i already love and play the game, i would LOVE to caddie. I dont know why, but it would be better than sitting behind a counter somewhere. The only thing is that if at my course we tried to have caddies, it wouldnt work out because our cart fee is $14 for 18. So most people would rather pay 14$ and walk then pay say 20$ plus tips. I guess you could make it work by charging 5$ for the caddie and then they tip, but how can you make money that way? I guess you could make it work somehow but yea thats a great idea

I am also a junior golfer who would love to caddy, but golf carts have already taken over a course. It's like 12 dollars a cart for 18 holes compared to the 20 or 25 that I would like to be paid..so there's no way that people would want to pay me more so they can walk. I don't need to be paid 50-60 dollars a round, I'd be satisfied with 20..but thats never going to happen. It'd be great to because I'd be getting great exercise and learning my course even better and it'd be better then being behind a counter or mowing lawns.

I caddied at Seattle Golf Club for two summers (mostly so I could play it for free :p). It was good money for a teenage summer job. Two rounds a day and occasionally double bagging + tips.

I've also caddied in some pro-ams and two canadian tour events and had a ton of fun.

My first round at Bandon I was sure to take a caddy, needless to say it was a little different to be on the other side of the bag.

I am also a junior golfer who would love to caddy, but golf carts have already taken over a course. It's like 12 dollars a cart for 18 holes compared to the 20 or 25 that I would like to be paid..so there's no way that people would want to pay me more so they can walk. I don't need to be paid 50-60 dollars a round, I'd be satisfied with 20..but thats never going to happen. It'd be great to because I'd be getting great exercise and learning my course even better and it'd be better then being behind a counter or mowing lawns.

Are there any professional tournaments in your area? A lot of times they need caddies for the pro-ams (to bag for amateurs of course). It gives you a chance to interact with some pros and it's a great opportunity for networking, as most of the amateurs who get to play in the events are members at multiple clubs.