2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping Tour Gorge vs. Glide Wedge

sofla

I know there are probably comparisons all abound but did anyone buy a Tour Gorge instead of a Glide even though they are still the same price?

Ping G430 10k
Titleist TSR2+ Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2 18 Speeder 757 Evo V

Ping G430 22 hybrid

Titleist T350 5-7

Titleist T200 8-48
Ping s159 54,60
Scotty Cameron Jet Setter NP2

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='sofla' timestamp='1439232659' post='12111488']
I know there are probably comparisons all abound but did anyone buy a Tour Gorge instead of a Glide even though they are still the same price?
[/quote]

I don't believe there is any materially significant playing difference between Ping Tour S, Ping Tour Gorge, and Ping Glide. The Glide does come stock with a grip about an inch longer than other grips. I assume this was done to promote hands lower (on the shaft) while playing green side chips and pitches. The longer grip , especially if it has reduced taper, could be meaningful, and very helpful, But, if a player is not interested in a longer length grip, and, or, prefers to have his wedges with the same grip model as his iron set type, then I suggest buying Tour S or Tour Gorge.

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

There are some differences between the Tour Gorge and the Glides that might impact your decision. The Tour Gorge has a slightly smaller head, combined with the fact that it's dark in color, and the net result is a head that LOOKS much smaller. Slightly sharper leading edge on the SS grinds of the Tour Gorge, I actually had problems with them digging in softer turf. Big difference is going to be the stock shaft. You're going from 109 g's and 1.8 torque in the Tour Gorge to 118 g's and 1.3 torque in the Glide. For me, the newer shaft made a huge difference on full shots. They tend to go very straight and much more difficult to overspin the ball. Less than full swings spin and green side spin are still excellent on the Glides though with the heavier, more tip stiff shaft.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

The Glide doesn't look smaller to me, if anything it looks bigger because of the way the top line blends into the hosel is different.

Glide has a more cambered sole and a little more bounce. Tour Gorge isn't a diggy wedge but the Glide digs less because of these features.

The CFS Wedge shaft is a significant difference between the two. It's noticeably heavier, which in my opinion is a good thing, but others may disagree. It's a simple weight preference thing.

Gorge is discounted so it's a fair bit cheaper than Glide. Availability is limited though.

Glide is plated so it's less prone to scratching, but at some point the plating will wear off leaving a noticeable mark.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1439236676' post='12111950']
The Glide doesn't look smaller to me, if anything it looks bigger because of the way the top line blends into the hosel is different.

Glide has a more cambered sole and a little more bounce. Tour Gorge isn't a diggy wedge but the Glide digs less because of these features.

The CFS Wedge shaft is a significant difference between the two. It's noticeably heavier, which in my opinion is a good thing, but others may disagree. It's a simple weight preference thing.

Gorge is discounted so it's a fair bit cheaper than Glide. Availability is limited though.

Glide is plated so it's less prone to scratching, but at some point the plating will wear off leaving a noticeable mark.
[/quote]

I see them both selling for $129 at Watts and PGA Superstore

Ping G430 10k
Titleist TSR2+ Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2 18 Speeder 757 Evo V

Ping G430 22 hybrid

Titleist T350 5-7

Titleist T200 8-48
Ping s159 54,60
Scotty Cameron Jet Setter NP2

[b]The Glide doesn't look smaller to me, if anything it looks bigger because of the way the top line blends into the hosel is different.[/b]

[/quote]

Yup, that's what I said:

[quote name='Drudersh' timestamp='1439233867' post='12111636']
There are some differences between the Tour Gorge and the Glides that might impact your decision. [b]The Tour Gorge has a slightly smaller head, combined with the fact that it's dark in color, and the net result is a head that LOOKS much smaller. [/b]Slightly sharper leading edge on the SS grinds of the Tour Gorge, I actually had problems with them digging in softer turf. Big difference is going to be the stock shaft. You're going from 109 g's and 1.8 torque in the Tour Gorge to 118 g's and 1.3 torque in the Glide. For me, the newer shaft made a huge difference on full shots. They tend to go very straight and much more difficult to overspin the ball. Less than full swings spin and green side spin are still excellent on the Glides though with the heavier, more tip stiff shaft.
[/quote]

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

[quote name='Drudersh' timestamp='1439238821' post='12112186']
[b]The Glide doesn't look smaller to me, if anything it looks bigger because of the way the top line blends into the hosel is different.[/b]

[/quote]

Yup, that's what I said:

[quote name='Drudersh' timestamp='1439233867' post='12111636']
There are some differences between the Tour Gorge and the Glides that might impact your decision. [b]The Tour Gorge has a slightly smaller head, combined with the fact that it's dark in color, and the net result is a head that LOOKS much smaller. [/b]Slightly sharper leading edge on the SS grinds of the Tour Gorge, I actually had problems with them digging in softer turf. Big difference is going to be the stock shaft. You're going from 109 g's and 1.8 torque in the Tour Gorge to 118 g's and 1.3 torque in the Glide. For me, the newer shaft made a huge difference on full shots. They tend to go very straight and much more difficult to overspin the ball. Less than full swings spin and green side spin are still excellent on the Glides though with the heavier, more tip stiff shaft.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Well, not sure I agree about the Tour looking "much" smaller. They look about the same size only the Glide looks a little more teardrop shaped along the top line.

Regarding the price, my local shop has Tour Gorge discounted to $89 (I think). Pretty sure Ping has sanctioned discounts at this point, but of course that will depend on the shop.

[/quote]Hey Ness, what's your feeling on the ES glides? Have you spent any time with those?

Ping G400 Max 9.5
Ping G25 4 wood
Ping G400 22 degree
Ping G25 5-UW
Ping Glide ES 54, 56

Ping Sigma G Tyne

[quote name='kchuckb' timestamp='1439249890' post='12113184']
Hey Ness, what's your feeling on the ES glides? Have you spent any time with those?
[/quote]

Hey man,
I haven't tried the ES Glide but I've used i-wedges and Eye2 XG wedges, which both have the scalloped sole shape, and they are reputed to be magic out of the sand, but otherwise the leading edge is a little sharp compared to what I've grown accustomed to playing. To be honest, I don't want to relearn my short game swing so I'm standing on the sideline and sitting that one out.

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1439250854' post='12113298']
Hey Ness, what's your feeling on the ES glides? Have you spent any time with those?
[/quote]

Hey man,
I haven't tried the ES Glide but I've used i-wedges and Eye2 XG wedges, which both have the scalloped sole shape, and they are reputed to be magic out of the sand, but otherwise the leading edge is a little sharp compared to what I've grown accustomed to playing. To be honest, I don't want to relearn my short game swing so I'm standing on the sideline and sitting that one out.
[/quote]Gotcha. I've been working a lot this summer on the chipping green and it has been paying off in my scores. It's great getting up and down from terrible spots to piss off your buddies. I might keep the gorge in the bag but maybe add an ES just to play from green side bunkers at first, until I got used to it around the greens. Guys have been saying the ES is super easy out of the sand.

Ping G400 Max 9.5
Ping G25 4 wood
Ping G400 22 degree
Ping G25 5-UW
Ping Glide ES 54, 56

Ping Sigma G Tyne

[size=5][b]CORRECTIONS AND RETRACTIONS[/b][/size]

Sorry folks, I provided some bad information earlier.

I compared a Glide 60SS with a Tour Gorge 60SS tonight using my specification gauge and learned the following:

1) The Tour Gorge wedge is SMALLER heel to toe by about .200"

2) Glide has more bounce and the leading edge sits about .030" higher above the ground than Gorge. Glide has a more cambered sole front to back. Gotta think about whether this results in more effective bounce or less. At any rate, Glide is more unique than I first though.

[quote name='kchuckb' timestamp='1439255333' post='12113862']
[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1439250854' post='12113298']
[/quote]

Hey man,
[/quote]Gotcha. I've been working a lot this summer on the chipping green and it has been paying off in my scores. It's great getting up and down from terrible spots to piss off your buddies. I might keep the gorge in the bag but maybe add an ES just to play from green side bunkers at first, until I got used to it around the greens. Guys have been saying the ES is super easy out of the sand.
[/quote]
the es IS super easy out of the sand. like really really easy.
i didn't pull the trigger yet on them, because the leading edge is to high for my liking for chips on bare lies around the green

• 5 months later...

I've played both and did not like the Gorge. IMO the Glides have nicer feel and weight to them. Better thru the rough and less digging overall. Both of my 56's were the same sole. I know many think they're similar but for me, they were very different.

The ES has been phenomenal. It's not just a bunker club if it fits your stroke.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400