Putter reshafting

PottsPotts Members Posts: 19
Hi all,

I have a Baby Ben BHB-9 heel shafted putter.

I was wondering if I can have this putter reshafted? I'm a big fan of the "straight through" shaft/head style putters, where shaft and putter are on the same plane without bends forward or back.

It has it's original shaft now with a Bettinardi/Ben Hogan lime grip, the shaft style on it now frankly puts me off, if you point the shaft at 90degrees to your body the head sits a little open...

Any recommendations on a replacement shaft?

Thanks everyone,

Potts

Comments

• corkycorky Members Posts: 2,858
    Potts wrote on Dec 10 2005, 06:31 AM:

Hi all,

I was wondering if I can have this putter reshafted? I'm a big fan of the "straight through" shaft/head style putters, where shaft and putter are on the same plane without bends forward or back.

It has it's original shaft now with a Bettinardi/Ben Hogan lime grip, the shaft style on it now frankly puts me off, if you point the shaft at 90degrees to your body the head sits a little open...

Thanks everyone,

Potts

Not sure exactly what you mean.......... if you hold the grip and the face of the putter is not 90deg then the grip is not on straight, or the shaft has been bent/twisted..

If your shaft currently has an intentional bend in it I doubt you can swap with a straight shaft as you are changing the fundamental design of the putter. The angle of the shaft's entry to the putter head cannot easily be changed.

Take it to a reputable clubmaker and ask his opinion..... a new shaft/grip won't break the bank and a Bettinardi is always worth restoration.

oh and by the way..........welcome image/betty.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' /> image/friends.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • PottsPotts Members Posts: 19
    corky wrote on Dec 10 2005, 03:10 AM:

Potts wrote on Dec 10 2005, 06:31 AM:

Hi all,

Thanks everyone,

Potts

Not sure exactly what you mean.......... if you hold the grip and the face of the putter is not 90deg then the grip is not on straight, or the shaft has been bent/twisted..

If your shaft currently has an intentional bend in it I doubt you can swap with a straight shaft as you are changing the fundamental design of the putter. The angle of the shaft's entry to the putter head cannot easily be changed.

Take it to a reputable clubmaker and ask his opinion..... a new shaft/grip won't break the bank and a Bettinardi is always worth restoration.

oh and by the way..........welcome image/betty.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' /> image/friends.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Hi Corky,

Thanks for the welcome and the reply... image/bye.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />

It's kind of hard to explain...

On the BHB-9 the shaft comes out of the clubhead vertically for about a half inch it then has a shallow bend forward towards the centre of the clubhead then the shaft bends back towards the player.

This, to my eye on this club, sets the face very slightly open, if the club is held at 90 degrees to your body and seems like an uneeded step...

But, I'm not a clubmaker... image/ok.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />

I accept the fact that a different shaft design would alter the design angles on the club, but it's a case of either a reshaft or another club, I prefer straight out of the head single bend styles... It was a gift you see image/ok.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />

http://www.benhogan.com/products/putters/index.html

The Hawk putter kind of shows the style of shaft I'm trying to describe... The Baby Ben has a centre shafted model in the brochure here...

Cheers,

Potts

• corkycorky Members Posts: 2,858
    edited Dec 11, 2005 #4
    Hi Potts,

it could be bent that way to make the putter face balanced........ ie. if you just balance the putter shaft on one finger you will see the putter face pointing directly upwards.

You could also contact Todd Schumaker at WWW.TKSPUTTERS.COM he knows everything there is to know about Bettinardi/Hogan putters.

good luck :-)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • PottsPotts Members Posts: 19
    edited Dec 11, 2005 #5
    Hi Corky,

Yes, I will look into contacting Todd...

Thanks again,

Potts
    Post edited by Unknown User on