Tiger Woods Pre-shot Routine

PhocusPhocus Members Posts: 169
edited Feb 26, 2008 in Instruction & Academy #1
How Tiger addresses the ball for most shots
I've been trying to develop a pre-shot routine thru experimentation and have been paying close attention to the tour pros during telecasts. One of my major problems is alignment, I have a hard time being consistent on the course where I do not have an alignment aide (club on the ground) as I do on the range. I noticed that Tiger so smoothely (more so than the other pros) addresses the ball and pulls the trigger. I started analyzing his pre-shot routine (via slow-mo on the DVR) and thought I would try it.

What Tiger does for most shots (excluding the short pitches and chips) is stand behind the ball holding the club in his right hand while looking down the target line, visualizing the shot and picking an alignment spot a few feet in front of the ball. He then takes a forward step slightly to the left with his left foot, then steps forward with his right foot which slightly crosses his left foot (while looking at the spot in front of the ball). He then pivots off his right foot, rotating his body square to the target line while stepping his left foot into position, then finally his right foot moves into position once his left foot can hold his weight. Possibly a very minor adjustment after that (usually stance width and not direction), a few waggles, and BAM, another great shot.

I tried my best to describe this 4-step process, pay attention to this when you watch him play. At normal speed it looks completely natural and seemless. If you slow it down, especially with the driver where the steps are longer, the pivot moving the left foot into position looks kinda awkward, he really reaches out with the left leg to get the foot into position. I tried this on the range and at first it felt unnatural, but after a while I got the hang of it and was setting up much better. The thing that amazes me is that Tiger does this with different length clubs and never needs to re-adjust his position from the ball. I think he judges the distance by using the club to measure his steps, not to mention he probably has done this routine a few million times!

What pre-shot routines have you perfected that helps you address the ball on the correct target line, and with a consistent ball position?

Comments

• Bomb and GougeBomb and Gouge Members Posts: 2,533
    edited Feb 26, 2008 #2
    I have a three-step routine.

1) Determine what kind of shot I need to play and commit mentally 100%.

2) Find the ground.

3) Waggle and Go!
  • stryperstryper Members Posts: 3,219 ✭✭
    edited Feb 27, 2008 #3
    Here ya go...

Eleven Steps to a Better Pre-shot Routine:
    1. Stand directly behind the ball
    2. Decide on a distant target
    3. Mentally back the target line up to the ball
    4. Pick a spot on that line directly in front of the ball
    5. Circle to the left (if you're right handed) and approach the ball, keeping eye on that spot
    6. Set clubhead square to spot
    7. Align body perpendicular to the square clubface
    8. Adjust ball position relative to center of stance
    9. Take one last look at the distant target
    10. Return focus to the ball
    11. Swing
    Of course, it's not really eleven steps, it's one process that gets me into position mentally and physically to hit the shot I need. I don't care how many paces are required to get to the ball, nor do I care which foot leads off this elaborate dance step. It's more a matter of focus on the target, get into position, and go.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
    Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
    18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52-08 F
    Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
    Odyssey O-Works Tank #7
    I've never seen a good player who didn't have a pre-shot routine.

I think just having one, regardless of what it is, will help most players...especially in pressure situations.
  • PhocusPhocus Members Posts: 169
    stryper wrote on Feb 27 2008, 08:51 AM:
    I don't care how many paces are required to get to the ball, nor do I care which foot leads off this elaborate dance step. It's more a matter of focus on the target, get into position, and go.

Yeah, but what I thought was interesting was Tiger does the same 4-step move every time. I aways thought they just stepped up to the ball and then adjusted. But Tiger uses the same moves to get to the ball. Just thought it was interesting and am trying it out.
    Phocus wrote on Feb 27 2008, 01:12 PM:
    But Tiger uses the same moves to get to the ball. Just thought it was interesting and am trying it out.

that's fine...but please don't take five minutes in your putting routine.
  • PhocusPhocus Members Posts: 169
    Bomb and Gouge wrote on Feb 27 2008, 01:37 PM:
    Phocus wrote on Feb 27 2008, 01:12 PM:
    But Tiger uses the same moves to get to the ball. Just thought it was interesting and am trying it out.

that's fine...but please don't take five minutes in your putting routine.

Well. . . people do call me JB. . . image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file