MCC+4 vs MCC (with wraps)

SirBigSpur06

I have regular MCC grips (standard size) on my irons that need replacing. I replaced my woods with MCC+4s (again, standard) last season and like them well enough. I've never tried midsize grips, but I was in a hitting bay the other day and one of the demo clubs (22deg hyb) had a midsize MCC grip on it and it felt great (for context, my hands are right on the borderline of standard and midsize depending on the brand). It kind of felt like they had also put wraps under the bottom hand of the grip (like the MCC+4), but I couldn't tell if that was true or if it was just the bigger grip making it feel that way to me. I think i like the rougher feel of the MCC over the MCC+4 (at least for my irons--I'm used to it), but I also like the fatter lower hand of the MCC+4.

So, with that background, I have two questions here for anyone with experience:

1) Should I switch my irons to midsize MCCs and then ask for wraps under the bottom hand? Will that feel TOO big going directly from standard? I.e. should I do standard MCC with bottom hand wraps or midsize MCCs with no wraps OR both?

2) If I decided to go just with standard MCCs with wraps, do you know if asking for 4 additional wraps under the bottom hand will essentially replicate the size of the MCC+4s (or would it be the normal grip +3 wraps to equal 4)?

Thanks!

"Golfing requires goofy pants and a fat a$$; you should talk to my neighbor, the accountant...huge a$$."

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would base your decision on what you know (you have regular NDMCs and need something bigger) rather than what you think (the midsize NDMC on the demo club may have had extra wraps on the bottom).

1. I would do this to one club only and see how you like it (for the midsize NDMC with no wraps and midsize NDMC with extra wraps options). These would almost certainly feel too big to me, but only you can make that decision. The standard NDMCs with extra wraps shouldn't be much of a change if you like the Plus4s on your woods but prefer the surface texture of the NDMCs.

2. It should. Standard clubs have one "wrap" of masking tape because the grip needs something to stick to. The Plus4s have four extra wraps (five total).

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

I would stay on your course of sticking with NDMCs and NOT going with the MCC+4 Midsize... to me it feels borderline Jumbo and the bottom hand is EXTREMELY squishy, much more so than standard size MCC+4s.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

I would stay on your course of sticking with NDMCs and NOT going with the MCC+4 Midsize... to me it feels borderline Jumbo and the bottom hand is EXTREMELY squishy, much more so than standard size MCC+4s.

Would you recommend the midsize NDMCs as-is or with the bottom hand wraps to mimic the MCC+4? Would the midsize with wraps feel too big on the lower hand (if I'm comparing the feel to standard size +4s)?

"Golfing requires goofy pants and a fat a$$; you should talk to my neighbor, the accountant...huge a$$."

NDMC Midsize with 4 bottom wraps would, IMO, be closer to a true midsize with less taper, and also much less spongy on the bottom hand than the MCC+4 midsize (and less spongy than the MCC+4 lower hand too). MCC+4 midsize is just beyond traditional midsize to my hands.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

Keep in mind going with a midsized grip with extra wraps will add weight. I am not a club builder and hopefully someone on here will elaborate more but this could change your swing weight.

I am exactly like you. In-between a standard and mid and like harder surfaces. I really like the Lambskin cord grips. Another grip I recently tried and think I found my perfect size is the mid sized z cord by Golf Pride

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

Keep in mind going with a midsized grip with extra wraps will add weight. I am not a club builder and hopefully someone on here will elaborate more but this could change your swing weight.

I am exactly like you. In-between a standard and mid and like harder surfaces. I really like the Lambskin cord grips. Another grip I recently tried and think I found my perfect size is the mid sized z cord by Golf Pride

Ok so I talked to the clubfitter at my local golf shop. He said if I wanted to replicate the bottom hand feel of a standard MCC+4 with the top hand fee of a midsize NDMC, he recommended a midside NDMC with 2-3 wraps. The midsize grip will already be larger on the bottom hand than a standard, so going with a midsize MCC+4 would create too large of a bottom hand feel. Putting this on three different clubs to test it out (20 deg hybird, 24 deg DHY and a 60 deg lob). Will let everyone know how it goes. I play friday.

• 2 months later...

Ok so I talked to the clubfitter at my local golf shop. He said if I wanted to replicate the bottom hand feel of a standard MCC+4 with the top hand fee of a midsize NDMC, he recommended a midside NDMC with 2-3 wraps. The midsize grip will already be larger on the bottom hand than a standard, so going with a midsize MCC+4 would create too large of a bottom hand feel. Putting this on three different clubs to test it out (20 deg hybird, 24 deg DHY and a 60 deg lob). Will let everyone know how it goes. I play friday.

I thought the grips feel too big, esp on the wedge I tried. I think I may just use standard NDMC and add 2 additional wraps under bottom hand.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the grips feel too big, esp on the wedge I tried. I think I may just use standard NDMC and add 2 additional wraps under bottom hand.

What are the benefits of the Mcc Plus 4 "slightly tapered" grips?