Professional Golfers Career College

Is it respected?
I'm currently a 23 year old, senior advertising major at Southern Illinois University and am looking to get into the golf industry post graduation (Dec 2008).

I've seen several commercials for the PGCC and SDGA on the Golf Channel and was curious if there are any testimonials to how respected they are in the golf industry and if they do, in fact, give you an advantage to employment after you graduate.

I now work at a retail golf store under a PGA Professional. He says that college's like that are a waste of time and money and it would be more adventageous to just enter the PGA Apprentice Program while working golf retail or at a course and go that route. Any advice?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that it all depends. I was in the second graduating class from PGCC and it was advantageous for me. It gave me the ability to go into an interview with some backing. If you have no experience, college or anything like that, you are likely to be shipped to the cart barn or be a shop kid to start out and have to work from there.

I am in no way advocating going to a place like PGCC or SDGA. But they are not terrible places to go if you are looking to solely pursuing a career in the golf industry. But they are not necessary!!!

Just because some people bash them does not mean they are lacking in merit. I had a successful 15 year career in the golf industry (8 of which were as a PGA member). This career was started because of PGCC. So any PGA member that wants to argue about the significance of that school to me is more than welcome, but they would be fighting a losing battle with me for certain, and I am sure with many of the other successful graduates from those schools. I was able to develop my teaching skills, playing skills, and customer service skills while I was there. It enabled me to meet many great people in the industry, and also garnered me my first job. So for me personally it was beneficial. The same might not be said for anyone else, as I can only speak for me.

You could always enter the PGA program. If you are able to pass the PAT and have a job that would allow you to cover the employment requirements, that route would allow you to skip the college aspect, and avoid the "useless" 2 years you would spend at PGCC or SDGA.

I am out of the industry now, not because of PGCC or the advent of PGM programs across the country. I am out because I wanted a better life for me and my family. So I am back in real college, working on getting into UC Berkeley to finish my college degree.

Dan

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

Wow why do people bash the PGCC or the SDGA??

I went to the PGCC and now 4 years after I have worked for two major OEM's. When I left I went straight to Bridgestone golf and worked in their R&D Dept.

Now I'm working for another OEM that is a much bigger company than Bridgestone in Southern CA.

So to say it isn't good or not worth ones time is COMPLETELY false. Unless you are a person looking for a free ride. I'm not telling anybody to go there or that it's better than the next place, but if you are a person who goes there looking for a fare shake then go do it. They have tons of great contacts.

and as wilsos1717 said. Why go to a PGM program just to be an assistant pro for x amount of years. (unless that's what you want to do), but don't slam a place like the PGCC when people that have graduated have some of the most desirable jobs in the golf industry.

I get to play all the golf I want and I design, test, and measure golf clubs for a living. Does that sounds like a bad job to anyone on this site??

I haven't really decided if I want to go the PGM route or just work somewhere in the golf industry at the corporate level. I figure that the PGCC or the SDGA would allow me to be flexible if I decided to do either. I'm very interested in the Hilton Head, SC campus of the PGCC as I went to HHI over Spring Break and fell in love with the place. Who can argue with a school who's motto is "Class until Noon, Golf until dusk?" I know I can't...

Thats right, and sometimes class doesn't even go until noon....

I've seen it go both ways. My friend went through the PGM program down at ASU, and now two years later he is a head golf professional. Like anything you get out of it what you put into it. I've heard of guys that don't like either program, and I've heard of guys that loved both programs...

Just know that you can be successful no matter where you go.

• 11 months later...
Wow why do people bash the PGCC or the SDGA??

I went to the PGCC and now 4 years after I have worked for two major OEM's. When I left I went straight to Bridgestone golf and worked in their R&D Dept.

Now I'm working for another OEM that is a much bigger company than Bridgestone in Southern CA.

So to say it isn't good or not worth ones time is COMPLETELY false. Unless you are a person looking for a free ride. I'm not telling anybody to go there or that it's better than the next place, but if you are a person who goes there looking for a fare shake then go do it. They have tons of great contacts.

and as wilsos1717 said. Why go to a PGM program just to be an assistant pro for x amount of years. (unless that's what you want to do), but don't slam a place like the PGCC when people that have graduated have some of the most desirable jobs in the golf industry.

I get to play all the golf I want and I design, test, and measure golf clubs for a living. Does that sounds like a bad job to anyone on this site??

I'm also looking at going to the PGCC (probably Orlando campus) and this post helps quite a bit, I think.

Honestly I am not much interested in becoming a teaching pro, but things like R&D and testing golf clubs would be right up my alley I think.

I'm interested in hearing more about what you do. Would you mind sending me a PM?

Much appreciated.

I currently attend SDGA (Now, GAA, Golf Academy of Americas) in Myrtle Beach.. I like it so far. Its my second semester. I visited both SDGA and PGCC before making my choice.. And to be honest I really felt like PGCC just was not at the level that SDGA is.

I felt like they really didn't know what was going on, that they were a very new school, etc, etc.

When I went SDGA I felt completely at home. Now keep in mind, when I play bad, I wish I had never gone to golf college.. But when your having fun its awesome.

Also, I thought about a PGM program but most are 4 years or more.. I'd rather finish SDGA, pass my PAT, and apprentice somewhere all in about a 2 year period.

Any questions are welcome.

Up To Par Golf, LLC
Owner - Chris Nelson
www.uptopargolf.com
[email protected]

I went to PGCC a few years ago. In your case I'd take the advice of the PGA pro you work for because you already have a degree and it isn't cheap. Thay being said ill echo the comment that it did get me my first job and can open a ton of doors. It is a place that you get out of it what you put in. Sure you can slack off and get by, but you can also learn a ton. If you put forth the effort it will give you a lot of opportunities.

with you having a bachelors or going to have one I would listen to that pro, but you really need to figure out what you want to do in the industry first.

As for golf schools I think they're great, my brother went to the SDGA in myrtle beach and learned everything under the sun and studied his butt off to do well. He came out of school and worked at some crazy private clubs and they hired him because of the school and their reputation for students being plug and play, not much training needed.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO