2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Recent fitting but with gapping problems

Ookluh

Hey all,

I went off the deep end this past year or so and got basically my entire bag fit. I am generally happy, though I'm having some issues with gapping at the top end. I'm trying to think of the most reasonable solution at this point. Long version of the story is that I went from RSi1 standard length to p790 cut down a half inch. I lost a few yards with the shorter shafts (about 0.75" on average), but feel better with yardage and fewer bad mishits through most of the bag. However, my carry yardage really compresses at the top end. I used to carry only up to a 5iron, and now have a 4iron. Even when hitting things well, the gap between my 6i and 4i is only about 16 yards. I also got fit for a GAPR Hi 3H, which appears to only be adding less than 10 yards carry compared to my well hit 4iron. Unfortunately, I am hitting my GAPR 3H and p790 fairly inconsistently at this point. On the other end, I have been fitted for the Cobra F9 driver and 3W. There is a massive gap in carry between my 3W and 3H.

For reference, these are essentially my average carries, as measured on Trackman (and more or less confirmed in real life):

Driver: 260

3W: 240

3H: 200

4i: 192

5i: 182

6i: 176

7i: 165

8i: 152

9i: 138

PW: 127

AW: 114

53: 100

57: 82

I have several questions in my head, including some uncertainty about the quality of my iron and hybrid fitting - but in the end, it's the Indian and not the arrows. However, I have my old Jetspeed 3H and 4H that I'd estimate carry 215 and 200 respectively. Whatever the carry, they are far more consistent and without a doubt fly higher and further than the GAPR 3H and p790 4i that I have. However, if I throw these in the bag then I have a nearly 20 yard gap between the 4H and 5i (and honestly, the gap between the 6 and 5 isn't all that much either).

At some point, I guess I am going to have to be OK with a sizeable gap somewhere, but am just not sure where to settle for it. Part of me wants to still try to find a newer hybrid that works for me than my Jetspeeds, as I don't think these are known as particularly great clubs and are 6 years old - so I would think something like a Rogue or G410 hybrid would likely be great. However, I also don't want to keep throwing money at my bag without using common sense. My inkling is to put the Jetspeeds back in and maybe look into updated hybrids at some point (although maybe the real question is, what's the point?). My mid to short iron game is way better with my currently fit clubs than my previously off-the-rack RSi1s, but the long irons leave a lot to be desired in gapping. As far as just improving my golf swing - I try, but have a toddler and infant at home which makes it a bit tougher to expect any major improvements in the near future. My handicap hovers around 11-13, if that makes any difference in the matter.

Titleist TSi3 8*, Tensei AV White 65X

Cobra Big Tour 3W, Project X HZRDUS RDX Blue 70X

Ping G425 19* 3H, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85X

Taylormade UDI 3i, Diamana Thump 100X

Taylormade p790 5-AW, C-Taper 130X

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 10S bent to 53

Titleist Vokey SM7 56* 8M bent to 57

Titleist Vokey SM7 60* 12D

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bend 5i strong or 4i weaker.

And, would find a hybrid carries about 220.

with your driver and wood carry number, there should be many hybrids hit that number and easy enough to his at the same time.

I use the p790 also and bag 4 iron.

D - 260

3w - 240

3h - 220

4i - 208

Hope you can find proper gap.

Ping                       G430 10k Driver w/GD Tour AD VF 5S
Ping                       G430 3 Wood w/GD Tour AD UB 6S

Titleist                   Titleist u505 2 iron w/GD Tour AD IZ 95S

Titleist                   T200 4/T150 5-P Irons w/Axiom 105S

Titleist                   48F w/Axiom 105S 54S/60K Wedges w/Fujikura MCI 105 MILD

LAB                   Mezz 1 Max Broomstick w/Accra

Makes sense, thanks for the feedback! Part of me is hesitant to go through hybrid fitting again considering how it turned out last time, but maybe will just go to the fitter that did my Driver and 3Wood rather than the hybrid. Other thought is just buying a used Rogue with a similar type shaft to what I have in the Jetspeed. Downside is not knowing for sure that it would carry further, but I am inclined to think it would. Jetspeed was also bought used online and worked out reasonably well it seems.

What are the lofts of the GARP 3H and the P790 4 iron/5 iron?

Your driver distance is decent but low lofted irons need a fair bit of speed to keep in the air long enough. The compressed gapping suggests you could use more speed or the strike efficiency is dropping a lot with these (more difficult to hit) clubs.

No doubt new clubs are cool but maybe just use the Jetspeeds if they work well. That would leave only the 5 iron to tweak (or find a Jetspeed 5H).

Yea, I don't doubt that I'm striking less efficiently, and maybe the speed is an issue too - honestly not too sure. It wasn't an issue with the RSi1s which leads me to think more technique, but they stopped at 5. The 3h is 19, 4i is 21, 5i is 23.5. They were all bent 1 degree weak when initially fit but due to even worse gapping issues previously, the 4, 5 and 6 got bent back to stock. The Jetspeeds are 19 and 22. Something about them just doesn't seem exciting to use to me, but I may indeed stick with them for a little while. I'd guess I eventually try to replace them this season, but only if I can actually find something that will carry a bit further to close the gap to my 3 wood.

> @Ookluh said:

> Yea, I don't doubt that I'm striking less efficiently, and maybe the speed is an issue too - honestly not too sure. It wasn't an issue with the RSi1s which leads me to think more technique, but they stopped at 5. The 3h is 19, 4i is 21, 5i is 23.5. They were all bent 1 degree weak when initially fit but due to even worse gapping issues previously, the 4, 5 and 6 got bent back to stock. The Jetspeeds are 19 and 22. Something about them just doesn't seem exciting to use to me, but I may indeed stick with them for a little while. I'd guess I eventually try to replace them this season, but only if I can actually find something that will carry a bit further to close the gap to my 3 wood.

The RSi1s have a fair more offset than the P790s. This may have been helping the launch in the long-irons. If you bend the P790 5 iron strong a degree or two (and drop the 4 iron for the Jetspeeds), this should add a bit more offset to the P790. Probably not to the level of the RSi1 5-iron but it may help a bit. I don't doubt the Jetspeeds are boring - they were definitely lost in the product offerings around that time.

> @Ookluh said...

> I have several questions in my head, including some uncertainty about the quality of my iron and hybrid fitting - but in the end, **it's the Indian and not the arrows.**

If you actually believe this, why bother going for a fitting? Can't you just use telepathy :/ to force the 5i to go 190?

The Indian/arrow reality: get fitted so that your clubs mesh with you golf swing, and don't drag it down. Then, once you get fitted, you need practice, play, and an occasional lesson to fine-tune the benefits you get from your clubs.

You might drop the 5i, weaken the 4i a couple of degrees, donate the GAPR to charity, and reload the Jetspeeds. If the iron gaps are don't meet 12-yard gaps up and down the set, don't worry about it. As long as you know how far each club flies, you can handle it. If the Jetspeeds work, go with it. If something better comes along, make a shift.

And as for the "several questions" which you have, maybe you have too much going on all at once. With your dad duties, go simple, reload the Jetspeeds, and have a nice summer!

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Hmm.. how does offset affect getting the ball airborne? I previously thought that had more to do with just face to path relationship, avoiding slicing, etc.

Haha.. well, I don't fully believe that everything is arrow independent, but mostly was trying to not come across as "everything is the club's fault and my fitter is awful, blah, blah, blah". I definitely am disappointed that I'm still trying to figure some of this stuff out and likely spent money on some clubs that aren't really best for me (3H and 4iron, I think).

Thanks to each of you for the practical advice. Not getting too caught up in club changes makes sense, because there is obviously an adjustment period and my limited playing time makes that even longer than it probably otherwise would take... also, don't want to spend excessive amounts of money. I think I will sell/trade-in the GAPR, shelve the 4iron (in case I want to come back to it if my swing progresses, and probably can't get much for it anyway), put the Jetspeeds back in the bag, and maybe even leave the 5 iron as is for now. I may wait a month or so and see how things are going, then consider either searching for a "better" hybrid with another fitter, or just bending the 5i - just don't want to keep fiddling with the bending of it too much until I decide what I'm doing long-term. Hoping that once I get the hybrid/gapping situation figured out that I will be done for awhile.. just that my previous bag was almost all off-the-rack, so made a major overhaul in a fairly short period of time.

Yea, my personal dilemma is that the place I got my irons and hybrids fit is further away. It actually has a very good reputation, but not quite as convenient to pop in and out of, and I did more of a basic fitting that relies more on visual ball flight than numbers. A closer place is also on the top fitters list and has a good local reputation, which is where I'm thinking I may plan on doing most of my purchases from a convenience standpoint.. only downside is the latter is indoors, but they do use Trackman which I feel is a little more helpful for the issue I'm having now.. the first place I believe charges a little extra for Trackman fitting (in conjunction with hitting outdoors).