***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

with pictures: OTT and an inside out path? Definition of OTT vs. steep

klauban ·  
klaubanklauban Members  57WRX Points: 9Posts: 57 Bunkers
Joined:  edited Jul 27, 2020 8:07am in Instruction & Academy #1

Hi

In the downswing My hands are at the same spot they were at P3. However, my clubshaft is basically perpendicular to the ground. Thus far, I thought that is steep and can be fixed. Would that be over the top?

To illustrate:Halfway down, I am in the downswing position of the bottom row but the shaft is perpendicular to the ground ( top row).

Posted:
Post edited by klauban on

Comments

• N0rs3manN0rs3man Members  239WRX Points: 82Posts: 239 Fairways

Mmm if that were the case then ur clubhead would sort of stall or something for a brief moment. If u don't sense a stall then u r probably ott. Try skipping a rock utube videos

Posted:

Are you a scratch player? A: I sure am—every time I hit the ball I scratch my head and wonder where it went.

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • klaubanklauban Members  57WRX Points: 9Posts: 57 Bunkers

I thought: OTT= when your hands are (during the downswin) outside (towards the ball) the position they were at P3 ? Is this correct. See below please

1. pic P3 2. pic position in downsing. 3. pic: next frame in the video

Posted:
  • Conner GolfConner Golf ClubWRX  115WRX Points: 20Handicap: 6Posts: 115 ClubWRX

Over the top can be steep or shallow. It is either from making a incomplete turn and rotation in the back swing to the top and then continuing down that same path in the down swing or by making a complete turn going back then turning the arms/hands back to early in the down swing. Steep is with the club shaft fairly vertical at the top but with a complete turn and then holding the complete turn into the down swing. Many take their club back steep and under turned to the top then complete their turn in the down swing.

Posted:
    Posted:
  • Conner GolfConner Golf ClubWRX  115WRX Points: 20Handicap: 6Posts: 115 ClubWRX

It appears yes but can not be sure. What is your miss?

Posted:

a push slice. Not shank. Laws dictate push slice means in to out path and open clubface. I do not bash my strategically placed headcover across the range, which is irrenconcilable with an out to in path.

I thought this is OTT: Hands outside of wher they were in BS.?

Posted:

Advertisement

I also think a over the top move changes the aim path of the swing to a out to in path. But I also think OTT is created by the aim of the hands/club shaft and not where they are.

Just a guess but possibly you are starting your down swing with a OTT move and steering your swing to a in to out path for contact. May explain the open club face.

Posted:
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9564WRX Points: 3,179Posts: 9,564 Titanium Tees

OTT is just a generic term for over the top of the plane.. You are very steep in transition there and lead wrist looks very cupped (ie face open), . You can already tell in those 2 stills you are starting to early extend to shallow the shaft, very common compensation that opens the face as well Post a full video if you want real help, nitpicking nomenclature isn't going to fix your problem

Posted:
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2656WRX Points: 1,048Posts: 2,656 Titanium Tees

Drill or "feel" to fix this? I believe I have gotten back into this bad habit in the last two weeks but am not really sure what I did to get myself "fixed" before. I used to try and "feel" like my right elbow was pulled directly to my right hip bone but that feel doesn't really do much for ensuring the hands/wrists don't make the club be too vertical coming down and still come ott. I was also picking out a dimple on about the 5:00 position to focus on in hopes it too would help me come in to out but with still the ott hands I have a push slice.

I find it very difficult physically to be at the top of the backswing without some cup in my left wrist. I think physically, due to either not able to get that convex in the left wrist (a la Dustin Johnson) or not being able to cup the right wrist enough (feel like at the top you are holding a tray of food under the grip) it promotes the left wrist breaking down and coming ott and not delivering the club with the flat lead wrist and back of hand to the target.

I've seen some drills with a pool noodle to create the curve of the club path through the hitting zone and a drill whereby you put the lead hand on top of driver grip standing vertical then swinging right arm back to top of backswing position and then swing down, under the lead arm and through (palm forward) but are there any other drills I can do this afternoon, before I play, that can help me right this ship?

Posted:
    Post edited by smashdn on

when I consciously bow the wrist the whole time in the DS the steepness becomes better. I am a bit afraid that this costs me clubhead speed considerably.

Leading with the right elbow does not help me,either. Although it should shallow the shaft.

Posted:

my major riddle is this: the left arm closes the face and steepens the club. Right arm shallows the club and opens the face. I cannot omit the steepening part of the left arm,if I want to reach impact with the clubface at least a bit "not open".

Posted:

Advertisement
  • mgoblue83mgoblue83 Members  409WRX Points: 207Handicap: 2Posts: 409 Greens

Stand farther from the ball in a more athletic stance.

Posted:
  • GolfbeatGolfbeat Swing Lessee Members  1959WRX Points: 276Handicap: 5Posts: 1,959 Platinum Tees

You need to take some lessons. The positions you are in are not good and you need to hands on instruction to remedy.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.