***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Altering existing clubs: lie, shaft length, what else?

RoyalMustang ·  
RoyalMustangRoyalMustang Members  91WRX Points: 32Posts: 91 Fairways

I want to find a reputable clubfitter nearby as I have never been fit. However, I don't want them to "sell" me new clubs, as I don't need them. For those of you in the consulting world, I have about 100 more effective levers to pull than new clubs; my PE2s are just fine. However, I would like to pay someone to determine my optimal lie, my optimal shaft length, and perhaps other things that could be changed? What are those "other things"? Shafts? Weighting of clubhead?

I assume that clubfitters will do this for a fee? Is there any pressure to buy new clubs? I certainly want to be dialed on my current gear and pay for a stack of lessons before I even consider upgrading.

Posted:

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members  4022WRX Points: 2,028Handicap: 1.7Posts: 4,022 Titanium Tees

That can get tricky as the aforementioned "stack of lessons" could very well end up changing what it is you need from a fit. I have used a "club gapping session" at places like PGASS to dial in existing clubs, but for the most part you will only get fairly basic help and you're only well served going in with information to make some calls yourself. This is where the other tricky bit comes in; if you don't have enough of a feel yourself for the "other things" as you mentioned, then you're not going to be well served by trying to do as much in depth fitting as it sounds like you want to. You need to have a pretty dialed in swing and a good sense of what you like and don't like before you can get everything bulletproof, and that takes time.

You can and should get a the basics dialed in; lie, length, and weight. Everything else like balance point, face angle preferences, offset amount, grip size and composition, shaft weight and bend profile....all those things will take experimenting on your own, ideally through buying and selling used clubs.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818H1 18.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype 
    Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid
    Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Special 61* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot

WITB Thread
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • mgoblue83mgoblue83 Members  409WRX Points: 207Handicap: 2Posts: 409 Greens

Most reputable golf shops will do a "spec check" on your clubs for a fee. The trick is communicating up front about wanting them to delve deep into everything from distance gaps and loft/lie, to shaft length, total weight, swing weight, grip size and grip weight. It's not a quick or cheap process but it would be worth every penny from the right shop.

Posted:
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  25593WRX Points: 1,961Posts: 25,593 Titanium Tees

The more important golf club specs that determine a good fit (in my rough order of importance - may vary between different fitters)

1) playing length

2) grip size

3) shaft weight

4) swing weight

5) shaft stiffness feel/profile

6) face angle (driver, woods, and hybrids only)

7) lie angle (more for irons, less for driver)

8) loft - optimal distance for driver and distance gaps for irons, hybrids, fairways

Most of those wont change much with lessons, so no reason to wait or put off getting the fitting. Lie angle and maybe face angle are the most likely to change but irons can be bent when ever they need to be adjusted and face angle can be adjusted by getting a club with adjustable hosel.

Posted:
  • RoyalMustangRoyalMustang Members  91WRX Points: 32Posts: 91 Fairways

Thanks! So, with regards to playing length: I can play long clubs temporarily w/o ill effects by choking down?

Posted:
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  25593WRX Points: 1,961Posts: 25,593 Titanium Tees

One downside to choking down is that the grip size will be a bit smaller. But a few extra wraps of tape can be used to compensate.

The other thing is that the swing weight may need to be adjusted to compensate for the shorter length. But that should be done by feel. Just go to the range and play around with adding lead tape until you get the best feel.

Posted:
  • RoyalMustangRoyalMustang Members  91WRX Points: 32Posts: 91 Fairways
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.