Thinking about joining a country club

fore_life

I played Ahwatukee CC today for the first time and while not a hard course by any means, I still enjoyed the round. After my round I spoke with a cart attendant for a bit and he mentioned that they are currently waiving initiation fees and having a flat month to month fee, no contracts for $249/ month which includes unlimited golf for thier par 60 and par 72 courses and unlimited range access as well as discounts and member tournaments. While browsing their website, I didnt see anything about the initiaion fees being waived but then again it hadnt been updated for awhile. I did see that the monthly fees are only $179 for people under 40.

So, I play at least 3 times a week and I'd play every day if I could. I think this would be a great way to VASTLY improve my game by having unlimited access to the range and course, but my concerns are that Id get sick of the course after the first couple of weeks. Just looking for some input by anyone with a membership to a club. The course isnt in the best of condition and its pretty flat, but it does offer some holes with a layout to really work on my game as far as shaping shots etc. Any input is appreciated.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a member of a particular country club for nearly 10 years and while I do play in other courses as well, probably 90% of my rounds are at said country club. Given that I play anywhere from 2-4 times a week doing 18 and even 36 holes in a day, I will advise you to make sure it is a course that you will enjoy playing many times. If you think it's a course that will bore you or not challenge you enough, then think twice about getting the membership. On a side note though, I'd like to say that in the close to 2000 rounds i've played in my home course, I can't ever remember the ball landing in the exact same spot throughout the duration of a round. I guess what I'm saying is that you can cater your outlook or attitude towards the course. It will continue to provide challenges that will hone your skill. If you look at it on a shot-to-shot basis, there will always be challenges ahead of you. Just make sure the scenery and terrain are pleasing to your eyes and you'll enjoy your first or thousandth round on the same course. Just my 2 cents. I have been fortunate enough to have memberships in other courses but the convenience, accessibility, and friendships I have formed at my home course is what draws me back everytime.

The layout is pleasing, its got alot of trees, which I prefer over desert courses. Its about 2 miles away from my house and on my way home from work(I work 11PM to 7AM), so theres no reason I wouldnt play at least 18 a day, 5 days a week. The par 60 is cool for what it is, I think 16 out of 18 holes have water on them, so it'd definately help improve accuracy. The par 72 has some longer par 3's(190-220) which is an area I need to work on pretty bad. The par 72 is 6713 yards, has a slope of 120 and rating of 70.8. Full driving range, chipping, and putting greens.

The real plus, aside from the price, is that its month-to-month so I can stop going if I get burnt out, but it seems like I play the same 3 or 4 tracks, anyways.

I emailed them to confirm the special and if it is true then Im signing up next paycheck!

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

If it were just me, I could play public courses cheap in the summer, pay the expensive winter rates and it would be cheaper. But...

My wife and kids all play, I get to play in club tournaments, have met some fantastic people, the courses are in my neighborhood, we have great reciprocals at other fine private clubs in the summer, etc., etc. Another thing I enjoy is to take my son out in the late afternoon for 2-3 holes just for fun.

It has been worth every penny to me and my family.

Yeah that makes sense. Id probably only keep it until the rates start falling again, then it'd play elsewhere. Looking on the website, it says that they still charge 13 dollars for each round for a cart fee, but I'd rather walk anyways so no big deal.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

Since there is no initiation fee to lose and you can pretty much stop anytime, then just keep playing until you get sick of it.

I was about to join a club near us but then I have 5 clubs within 40 minutes drive so why get stuck in one place. I don't really do the social thing because weekends and evenings are for the family and kids so I do my thing during the day, maybe 1x per week.

For me, I need to play 1 course 25x per year to break even on greens fee but because I have 4 other courses, it doesn't make sense. I am lucky that the courses around us are all set up slightly differently so the variation helps.

I do know guys who play a course at least 50x per year. They pretty much know every rabbit hole on the damn place. It is funny in a way because they can better manage a course during a round but then what is the point when you play to hcp 10 on the home course and shoot a 100 when playing anywhere else.

Id play 36 holes a day 7 days a week if I could afford it!

I hope to god he was right. He was an older gentleman and seemed really well informed, and I wouldve signed up but I dont have the cash right now( had to buy gifts for someone other than myself for once lol).

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

Never thought I'd like playing the same course over and over but if you find the right guys to play with it's OK. I have played my club now about 300 rounds in the last 2 years and not tired of it yet. Of course I still play other courses too, but mainly play my club.

From what I am hearing in the NY area....weak economic conditions have hurt many golf clubs. I'm sure there are other clubs in that area which are trying to lure members. Possibly stop by a few courses and see if there are any deals....you may be able to find a course which is more appealing to you...especially in AZ where there are a ton of courses. In the NY area..there are talks of clubs merging...some placing ads....if you have the money....deals are to be had..even in the golf world.

The best thing about joining a club is your commitment to get better. Guaranteed you will play more golf. Another plus side is if it is private, or semi-private, play will be down way more than a muni. You can get out almost anytime you want. This year i didnt join a club and got out probably 20 times. When im a member @3-4 times per week plus the occasional quick 6 or 10 holes after dinner.Try paying for 6 holes at a muni....lol....good luck.

As a former member of Ahwatukee CC for about 5 years, I will put in my two cents. In the

wintertime the course is full of snowbirds and was very tough to get on. That was on weekends,

however, which is the time when I got to play most of my rounds. If you can put up with

uneven tee boxes, divot filled tee boxes where it's tough to find a spot to put the peg in the

ground to get a good lie, lousy, bumpy greens and fairways with a lot of dirt patches, plus hitting off matts for a range, I'd join also. Their rack rate during the past summer was about 18 bucks which included lunch and a sleeve of balls. The par 60 course also was closed Monday through Thursday

over the summer. I found it wasn't worth the 220 I was paying at the time. Good luck

Hmm, The greens didnt seem to messed up, nor did the tee boxes. And the range was all grass, with mats being used on Fridays and Sat. if Im not mistaken.

If I can get it for $179/month then I'll do it. Hell Id probably try it out for a month at $249

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

If you're not tied into any long term agreements, why not? At least thru the winter when the rates are high everywhere else. As you say, it is close to home and you can play at least 3x per week. You can play in the tournaments and establish your handicap. Practice facilities are a plus. The Lakes course is fun.

Some comments about Ahwatukee - for me, it was a play once sort of experience, although I did get talked into playing there a second time. It's not an awful course, but it is one of those courses that is a single fairway wide tour through the surrounding homes with playing corridors further narrowed in places by the trees. The overseed spruces up the course in the winter, but the summertime conditions are really rough. Although they call themselves a country club, the course is essentially open to the public and at very low rates. On the other hand, you won't find any truly private golf club (in the phoenix area) at the monthly rates you are talking about and no initiation.

So like I said, as long as you can walk away when you get tired of it, why not.

As a member at MG&CC getting past the initiation fee's is great, and after being a member for a number of years and now the VP of the board of directors I have never once thought to myself man I am bored of this club, it's a par 72 6629yds so not extremely long but like was said I am yet to hit my ball in the exact same spot under the same conditions. I know some people don't care for the country club life, but I love knowing all the faces on the course, and saying hi to the many people you get to know. I really hope it works out for you, have fun!

If you play a lot, a membership is valuable. If you don't play much, it's throwing money down a hole unless it provide other business or personal benefits. It all depends on you.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this deal yesterday:

ZERO enrollment fee

$199/month

Unlimited range balls as well as use of the members practice tees(full grass everyday, non members hit off mats a couple days/week)

Members lounge access

Unlimited golf at the par 72 course and the par 60 executive Lakes course

25% proshop, on top of sale items. The shop has some pretty sweet deals and is well stocked, so Im sure they'll be taking even more of my money! I went to the range yesterday and hit about 200 balls today and walked 18 holes.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

I originally thought private course, but it doesn't look like that's the case.

Are there public courses that have initiation fees?

I know it's common practice for private courses, but haven't heard of it for public tracks.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

well its a country club put the course is open to the public. The membership allows you specific access to members only things like the private range/locker room/lounge/discounts etc. Regardless, with the amount that I play, its a killer deal

the enrollment fee is usually a couple grand.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

I just joined a local club in my area as well.

I'm 27 yrs old and growing up all throughout my childhood my father was a member at one of the nicer clubs in our city. I grew up in the mentality that your home course is your home course. You really can't beat that. every day you go and face the same monster and try to conquer her. when you start shooting 72 round after round, then maybe its time for you to start looking at a new course to play, but until then, the course is still beating you.

Not to mention, think of the advantage you have when you bring friends/colleagues/associates to play a round at YOUR course. everyone knows your name, they know how you like your shoes shined, they know you like draft beer over bottled beer. there is something to be said about that kind of familiarity and treatment.

i think you've made the right decision. i know i don't regret mine.