2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golflogix GPS-8

Bricked after firmware update
I just bought a new Golflogix GPS-8 unit over the weekend. I installed the software and plugged the GPS into my Mac. The software indicated that a firmware update was available for the Golflogix unit. The update downloaded and installed fine. However now the GPS unit will no longer power up. I tried replacing the batteries but that did not do the trick and unfortunately there does not appear to be any way to do a hard reset of the unit. I think I will take this back to the store on Monday and exchange it for another unit.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered any similar problems with their Golflogix GPS unit? I realize that some electronics devices are just defective, but it sure doesn't make me feel very good about my purchase.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought a new Golflogix GPS-8 unit over the weekend. I installed the software and plugged the GPS into my Mac. The software indicated that a firmware update was available for the Golflogix unit. The update downloaded and installed fine. However now the GPS unit will no longer power up. I tried replacing the batteries but that did not do the trick and unfortunately there does not appear to be any way to do a hard reset of the unit. I think I will take this back to the store on Monday and exchange it for another unit.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered any similar problems with their Golflogix GPS unit? I realize that some electronics devices are just defective, but it sure doesn't make me feel very good about my purchase.

I just got mine too. Did the same thing except I'm on a PC, but I brought it home, downloaded and installed the software, ran the update like you did and loaded 14 courses on the unit. Still works fine. Maybe you just got a bad unit.... even the best aren't always perfect.

Well I exchanged for another Golflogix unit. Unfortunately I've encountered the exact same issues. After looking at the serial-usb driver that Golflogix makes you install, I'm convinced this is the issue. The software indicates that it was designed for Mac OSX 10.4 (Tiger).

Unfortunately Golflogix has not been able to confirm any of this, since I have been unable to make contact with them. I've left messages with their tech support line, but they refuse to call back. Very poor customer service.

I would suggest that anyone who is using a Mac to steer far away from the Golflogix GPS.

While the unit is fine when working, it does have technical issues. I bought a Golf Logix 2008 model last year and the first unit kept freezing up on me. I contacted the company and after trying to reset the unit to its original settings, unloading and re :russian_roulette: loading the courses, to no avail, they sent me a second unit. Now after using the second unit a few times, it is also freezing up on me during play. I am giving it one more try and then if it continues I am asking for a refund.

Has anyone else had these problems?

While the unit is fine when working, it does have technical issues. I bought a Golf Logix 2008 model last year and the first unit kept freezing up on me. I contacted the company and after trying to reset the unit to its original settings, unloading and re :russian_roulette: loading the courses, to no avail, they sent me a second unit. Now after using the second unit a few times, it is also freezing up on me during play. I am giving it one more try and then if it continues I am asking for a refund.

Has anyone else had these problems?

Mine works flawlessly.

• 4 weeks later...

I just updated my unit to the new unit. My old unit was awesome but the price the offered was to good to pass up!

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

• 3 weeks later...

My previous post indicated my problems with the firmware upgrade for the GPS 8. After making contact with Golf Logix customer support they sent me a new unit with the firmware upgrade already on it. I was told that about 2 to 4% of the units will lock up with the firmware upgrade and there is nothing you can really do short of requesting a new unit. Anyone with the GPS 8 should make sure they have the firmware upgrade and if not apply the upgrade and make sure the unit works. If it locks up request your new unit before golf is in full swing for the summer.

I just received a GolfLogix as my birthday present for next month...anyways have yet to try it, but installing all the hardware/programs to my laptop I had no problems. I didn't know this happened on some of their GPS units...I'm just excited and can't wait to try it out this week!!!

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 DBD / 10.5*
PING G25 / 16.5*
Adams IDEA Pro Gold / 18*
Adams A Tour Red / 4-P
Callaway X-Tour / 50*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Select Golo 5 / 36.5"

I have the GolfLogix, Haven't had any problems. Yardage seems accurate. I recommend Lithium batteries 6-7 rounds off a set, compared to 4 rounds with regular energizer's. Boot time is fast, and fuctions are basic when compared to some of the high dollar GPS's units out. Then again, some of the guys who have models with all the bells and whisltes seem to not bother using those features. (score cards, fly bys, ect..)

One Feature I would like to have (and do not) is the ability to set my own marks on the course. My only complaint.

Does anyone know how many courses can be downloaded to the software on your own computer. I know the GPS-8 holds only 20 courses at a time but I would like to have much more available on my computer downloaded from the web site. I don't want to have to always go to the web site to do this. Anyone know this?

You can download as many as you want to your PC, but they are only transferable to your GPS for as long as you maintain your subscription. Once your subscription lapses, you can only use what still remains on the unit, as I understand it. I haven't let a subscription expire yet, so I haven't tested that theory.

Same problem here. My unit won't power ON. I'm not sure what the problem is but it did happen after having installed the latest update. I'm using a Macbook.

Any fixes??

Golflogix GPS-8

OK, got the software downloaded and driver with no problem. Got the subscription and downloaded all the courses I wanted to my PC and loaded about 15 to my GPS took about 2-1/2 minutes to download to GPS. Have not used it on the course yet, weather isn't good enough for me. Mud, cold and rain. nah....some snow to add now and then, nah....sun and temp in the50's or better is good for me. The only downside is that if you want to add 1 more course to your GPS, you have to reload all the previous courses you had on the GPS. A feature they need to upgrade.

I downloaded a ton of courses at first, to my PC then realized it's a pain to have that many on because they don't sort by state. They sort by location in alphabetical order. Another flaw. So I had to go into the folder on my hard drive delete the courses I didn't want. They don't advertise how to delete these. If anyone needs to know give me a shout.

Golflogix GPS-8

OK, got the software downloaded and driver with no problem. Got the subscription and downloaded all the courses I wanted to my PC and loaded about 15 to my GPS took about 2-1/2 minutes to download to GPS. Have not used it on the course yet, weather isn't good enough for me. Mud, cold and rain. nah....some snow to add now and then, nah....sun and temp in the50's or better is good for me. The only downside is that if you want to add 1 more course to your GPS, you have to reload all the previous courses you had on the GPS. A feature they need to upgrade.

I downloaded a ton of courses at first, to my PC then realized it's a pain to have that many on because they don't sort by state. They sort by location in alphabetical order. Another flaw. So I had to go into the folder on my hard drive delete the courses I didn't want. They don't advertise how to delete these. If anyone needs to know give me a shout.

Are you really complaining about something you said took you 2.5 minutes to do? haha

If you read the manual you would know that if you turn you GPS unit on when you get to the course, by the time you actually make it to the first tee, it will see what course you are on... you have to do nothing but scroll up to the first hole....

Actually you took my comment about the 2.5 minutes wrong. I thought it was very fast to download all the courses.

And you didn’t read my post very well. I was referring to all the course I downloaded to my PC's hard drive not the GPS. I know exactly what it does. Were you commenting on someone else’s post about having to scroll the GPS. I never referred to the Courses on the GPS.

Same problem here. My unit won't power ON. I'm not sure what the problem is but it did happen after having installed the latest update. I'm using a Macbook.

Any fixes??

Ok...just got off the phone (after being on hold for about 20 minutes) with GolfLogix customer service and they will be sending me out a new GPS-8 unit with the firmware update preloaded as others have mentioned. I should have it late this week or early next week. I will post an update after I receive new unit.

Any fixes??

Ok...just got off the phone (after being on hold for about 20 minutes) with GolfLogix customer service and they will be sending me out a new GPS-8 unit with the firmware update preloaded as others have mentioned. I should have it late this week or early next week. I will post an update after I receive new unit.

Ok..got my new replacement unit from Golflogix yesterday (4/15). Called back Customer Service (waited only about 3 mins) and they set up my new acct. Every thing is again up and running! Golflogix pulled thru for me!

• 4 months later...

I just got my unit last month and have been very pleased. I run from coast to coast and seem to always find the course I want though, as someone mentioned, the logic behind the course information escapes me. Anyway, I walk and carry a bag, so I am not fiddling with my unit all the time. I just noticed that my unit is turning off or going to sleep. Has anyone else had this problem. The batteries are new and indicate good charge.

I am contacting customer support today also but nothing yet.

Gowwfer1

I run into the unit turning off or going to sleep also when I use Energizer Ultimate Lithium rechargeable batteries that are fully charged and shows a full charged battery on the gps. When I use NI-MH rechargeable batteries it shows only a half charge on the gps but I get a round in and recharge just to eliminate the unit shutting off. I am going to try the NI-MH for a few rounds and see if they hold up. I'm thinking of contacting customer service also because it doesn't make sense with the Energizers or just showing half a charge with the others. I am on my second unit as the first one froze and they replaced with a new one. The best way to get customer service is to stay on the phone line till they answer which usually takes about a half hour. Let me know how you make out with yours.

[quote name='inthefairway' post='1911702' date='Aug 24 2009, 05:01 PM']I'm thinking of contacting customer service also because it doesn't make sense with the Energizers or just showing half a charge with the others.[/quote]
Most rechargeables do not charge to 1.5v (usually 1.3 - 1.4). Check them with a volt meter and you will see. Most devices consider a battery kaput at 1.0-1.1 so do the math.

I use alkalines and have no problems.

Yea your right about the alkaline type batteries. I've never been a big fan of rechargeable batteries but every so many years give them a try and seem to be never satisfied with them. Thanks for reminding me about the alkaline batteries. Sometimes I just get tired of buying batteries and hope to beat the system but I guess the way to go is with the reliable multi bulk packages of alkaline.