Effects of cutting an inch off a putter???

jollygreens ·  
jollygreensjollygreens Members  267WRX Points: 0Posts: 267
What are the effects of cutting an inch off an XG putter???
Posted:

Comments

• choeppnerchoeppner Blue Ridge, GACharter Members  10364WRX Points: 103Posts: 10,364 Titanium Tees
    Not a "HUGE" Difference. One effect will be the SW. You will be losing around 6 SW Points. I'd give it a try and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, you can always use an Extension to get it back.

-Chris
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • mac94mac94 Banned  6321WRX Points: 1Posts: 6,321 BST Banned
    I don't find SW to be all that interesting in putters.
    Posted:
  • MAK2525MAK2525 Members  733WRX Points: 0Posts: 733
    jollygreens wrote on Jan 24 2009, 12:14 PM:

Odyssey uses the same weight head on the XG model regardless of shaft length - so for example a 35" cut down to 34" will be the same weight as the 34" that came from the factory. The Black series are the only Odyssey models that have different weight heads to compensate for shaft length.

I cut an XG7 from 34" to 33", and there was very little difference in the feel of the putter.
    Posted:
  • bm303bm303 Members  552WRX Points: 0Posts: 552
    MAK2525 wrote on Jan 24 2009, 02:20 PM:
    jollygreens wrote on Jan 24 2009, 12:14 PM:

Odyssey uses the same weight head on the XG model regardless of shaft length - so for example a 35" cut down to 34" will be the same weight as the 34" that came from the factory. The Black series are the only Odyssey models that have different weight heads to compensate for shaft length.

I cut an XG7 from 34" to 33", and there was very little difference in the feel of the putter.

Winner.
    Posted:
  • jollygreensjollygreens Members  267WRX Points: 0Posts: 267
    Right On! Thanks guys.....
    Posted:
    A shorter shaft on your putter gets your eyes over the ball, and in my opinion(not worth much)

Actually, at 6'4", I tend to get my eyes outside the ball, so I need a longer putter to get my eyes over it. Varies from peson to person.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • choeppnerchoeppner Blue Ridge, GACharter Members  10364WRX Points: 103Posts: 10,364 Titanium Tees
    mac94 wrote on Jan 24 2009, 02:37 PM:

I am with you. I don't notice the SW change very much at all. I have had some customers though that can tell a 6 SW point difference.

-Chris
    Posted:
  • BEND OF THE RIVER GCBEND OF THE RIVER GC Charter Members  6562WRX Points: 66Posts: 6,562 Titanium Tees
    choeppner wrote on Jan 24 2009, 06:20 PM:
    mac94 wrote on Jan 24 2009, 02:37 PM:

I am with you. I don't notice the SW change very much at all. I have had some customers though that can tell a 6 SW point difference.

-Chris

I can tell.
    Posted:
    TM M1 Kurokage shaft
    TM RBZ 3 wood stock Ozik shaft
    TM R11 4 wood Fujikura Rombax 6X07
    TM RBZ with Oban Revenge shaft
    Ping G irons 4-UW
    Nike VR 56*
    Nike VR 60*
    Black Lab oil can 350g custom grind by Geo
    Ping 4 Under carry bag
  • madness999madness999 Members  61WRX Points: 0Posts: 61
    I can't remember the model, but I had an inch taken off an Odyssey blade insert putter, and it was horrible feeling after that. Felt way light at the top and felt completely out of balance. I personally will never cut a putter down again. If I can't get it with the length I want, I'll wait.
    Posted:
  • radforasradforas Members  105WRX Points: 0Posts: 105
    You could always add lead tape to the bottom of the putter if it feels too light after cutting it down. I've done this in the past and its easy and effective.
    Posted:
    I can't remember the model, but I had an inch taken off an Odyssey blade insert putter, and it was horrible feeling after that. Felt way light at the top and felt completely out of balance. I personally will never cut a putter down again. If I can't get it with the length I want, I'll wait.

But Odyssey has the same headweight for 34" and 35". What's the diff if it is factory cut or cut at home?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • jollygreensjollygreens Members  267WRX Points: 0Posts: 267
    But Odyssey has the same headweight for 34" and 35". What's the diff if it is factory cut or cut at home?

Yes, good point. Good to hear too......I'll get to hacking.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.