Which sonartec 3 wood?

waldojefferswaldojeffers Members Posts: 15
edited Jun 24, 2009 in Equipment #1
I'm not sure which sonartec 15 fairway to get. I read this:

FOR MID AND HIGH HANDICAP GOLFERS I WOULD LOOK AT THE SSO2 OR THE SS2.5 MODEL. FOR LOW HANDICAP AND SCRATCH GOLFERS I WOULD LOOK FOR THE SS03,SS3.5 OR THE NP-99.THEY ARE BY FAR THE BEST FAIRWAY WOODS IN PLAY TODAY.

Is that good advice?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• TM golf guyTM golf guy Members Posts: 9,985
    Forget all that and just get the GS Tour. An absolute cannon for a fairway wood, and it is rock solid.
  • waldojefferswaldojeffers Members Posts: 15
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Which sonartecs have you played?
  • TLUBulldogGolfTLUBulldogGolf Sasquatch Members Posts: 2,405 ✭✭
    GS Tour ftw. I tried an NP-99 and I never really liked it. I have hit the ss-03 which is deep face and it is solid but the GS tour is their best wood. Very long and with a decent amount of forgiveness as well.
    Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
    Titleist 917 F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White 100-TX
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black 54* S Grind PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black 60* M Grind X100
    Odyssey Works #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT
    edited Jun 24, 2009 #5
    Thanks for the reply. Bit of a boost for the gs tour then. It wasn't in contention until just now image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Still not getting any clear winner, hopefully some more kind lads who have used a few of the sonartecs participate in the poll image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • hmx3hmx3 Members Posts: 1,334
    GS-tour and 2.5 are my favorits. have also the NP-99, which is more demanding.
  • MainlinegolferMainlinegolfer Members Posts: 1,224
    You know Sonartec is out of business, right? That said, it made some excellent fairway woods, albeit not the most forgiving to hit off the fairway.

I've played the SS-02, SS-3.0, SS-2.5, SS-3.5, NP-99, SS-07, and GS Tour. The 2.5 and 3.5 replaced the 02 and 03. The 07 has an adjustable hosel (it can be bent) and was popular on tour. The GS Tour is the latest (and last) model. Shallow faces -- 02 and 2.5 -- perhaps better from the fairway; deeper faces -- 03 and 3.5 -- perhaps better off the tee.

I still play my SS-07 15* (Diamana 83 Redboard - Stiff) and SS-07 19* (Purple Ice 73 - stiff). I may sell these since they are now "back up" clubs.

I have been a big Sonartec fan because they perform well, but with a somewhat lower trajectory. Depending on your skill level, there may be better alternatives. However, if I were you and you really want Sonartecs, I would get the SS-07 or the GS Tour, the newest model and arguably the one that is slightly more forgiving.
    Ok well the np-99 is pretty much out of the picture I think, having heard it's not as forgiving as the other models on a few occasions now (thanks hmx) I want something easy of the deck so 2.5 and gs tour sounds like they have gotten a pretty good wrap up on a few occasions now (thanks mainline). GS tour is sounding pretty rosie right now, would you say it is more forgiving than the 2.5 would you mainline?
  • MalaMala Members Posts: 152
    I've tried several sonartecs, but not the GS tour yet, My favourite out of the ones i've tried, and the one thats in my bag is a SS-07.
  • hmx3hmx3 Members Posts: 1,334
    IME there is no difference in forgiveness between GS-tour and 2.5. The head of the SS-2.5 is a bit larger as the GS head, both have the same great feel and sound and performance. Personally I´ve found no FW´s, which are better as the Sonartecs.
    waldojeffers wrote on Jun 24 2009, 06:54 AM:
    Ok well the np-99 is pretty much out of the picture I think, having heard it's not as forgiving as the other models on a few occasions now (thanks hmx) I want something easy of the deck so 2.5 and gs tour sounds like they have gotten a pretty good wrap up on a few occasions now (thanks mainline). GS tour is sounding pretty rosie right now, would you say it is more forgiving than the 2.5 would you mainline?

Although still somewhat deep-faced, the GS Tour was "improved" by lowering its center of gravity, as I recall, to make it a bit easier to hit off the fairway. I wouldn't necessarily say it's "more forgiving than the 2.5". The 2.5 has a more shallow face which facilitates hitting it off the ground; but some don't like a shallow faced 3-wood when hitting off the tee (easier to hit under it and pop it up). As I said, the SS-07 and GS Tour (newest) are perhaps the most versatile.
  • TitusTitus Posts: 168
    I have both the GS Tour and the SS 2.5 with the stock R flex Fuji shaft. I prefer the latter only becasue it has a better feel and a lower ball flight. I believe it is the shaft that makes the difference.

I also have in my bag the SS 2.5 5 wood (and a spare in my back up set) and recently purchased a 7 wood to experiment as a replacement to my 21* G10 hybrid.

If i can find somebdoy to swap my GS Tour with SS 2.5 3 wood, I would readily go for it.

Good luck!
  • alittleoverparalittleoverpar Cousin Jess Members Posts: 1,568
    TM golf guy 182 wrote on Jun 24 2009, 12:51 AM:
    Forget all that and just get the GS Tour. An absolute cannon for a fairway wood, and it is rock solid.

I couldn't agree more!

IMO the GS Tour is the best fairway ever made. It is a solid as they come and performs well for any shot.
    Callaway Razr Xtreme 11.5* - Trinity X
    Callaway Razr Xtreme 16.5" - Trinity X
    Callaway Razr X MB 4 - PW - PX 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged 54*, 58* - S400
    Royal Collection Metro East Miami
    Jones Utility Stand Bag
  • uhs82uhs82 Posts: 239 ✭✭
    I've tried several different models and prefer the GS Tour. For me it offered the best of both worlds -not too shallow for me to hit comfortably from the tee and not too deep to hit easily from the fairway. It's very solid and somewhat forgiving compared to the other models.

Also, I wouldn't disregard the NP-99 without trying it yourself. I didn't think it was any less forgiving than some of the other models, I just didn't like the shallow face as well as the GS Tour.
    PING G400, 10.5°
    PING G25 3 Wood
    PING i25 Hybrid, 22°
    PING i E1, 4-U
    PING Glide, 54°/58°
    Odyssey Protype #7
  • obsessed_golferobsessed_golfer Members Posts: 652 ✭✭
    The shallow face and horseshoe weight make the NP-99 great off the deck......do not sell it short!
  • kdstourkdstour Members Posts: 32
    Still play the 2.5 3 and 5 wood with the Blue Board 73's. I've experimented with many other woods, but these always find their way back as the gamers.

Nick Price (yes another company he put out of business image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> ) is using the Royal Collection staff bag and woods.
  • alittleoverparalittleoverpar Cousin Jess Members Posts: 1,568
    obsessed_golfer wrote on Jun 24 2009, 09:56 AM:
    The shallow face and horseshoe weight make the NP-99 great off the deck......do not sell it short!

The NP-99 is a great club. I also have the NP=99 in 15 deg, and 21 deg. They are not in my bag right now because for me the GS Tour slightly edges them out in overall performance. However, I would have no problem playing the NP-99 if my GS Tours were to go away. image/shout.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shout:' />

I sure wish Sonartec was still around. The only advantage of them going under is cheap goods on ebay.
    Callaway Razr Xtreme 11.5* - Trinity X
    Callaway Razr Xtreme 16.5" - Trinity X
    Callaway Razr X MB 4 - PW - PX 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged 54*, 58* - S400
    Royal Collection Metro East Miami
    Jones Utility Stand Bag
  • tjrbutjrbu Ping Faithful Posts: 167
    I've got a moderately quick swing (105-108 driver ss) and I'm looking to reshaft the GS Tour from the Red Ice stiff (too whippy). Any suggestions? I can't put my normal VS Proto or NV shaft in this head b/c it launches too low. I was thinking of digging up a 75-85 gram Purple Ice, but have no history w/ that shaft. Thoughts?

it's a .335 tip, right?
    tjrbu wrote on Aug 10 2009, 11:15 PM:
    I've got a moderately quick swing (105-108 driver ss) and I'm looking to reshaft the GS Tour from the Red Ice stiff (too whippy). Any suggestions? I can't put my normal VS Proto or NV shaft in this head b/c it launches too low. I was thinking of digging up a 75-85 gram Purple Ice, but have no history w/ that shaft. Thoughts?

it's a .335 tip, right?

I have two Sonartec SS-07s, a 15* with a Diamana Redboard 83-S and a 19* with a Purple Ice 75-S. Both are excellent shafts for fairway woods in that they a low torque, active tip shafts. Since the PI was discontinued a few years ago, I found an inexpensive PI on eBay. I chose a PI 75 to replace my broken Aldila NV75 because, at 42 1/2", my 19* had had a swingweight of D5 and I thought a PI 85 would make it too heavy. Either PI would be fine, depending on your preference. Yes, .335 tip.

Do a search on GolfWrx for "purple ice", there should be a lot of information. Here's one thread in which a posted info on tipping and my conversation with Graphite Design:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...p;hl=purple+ice
  • cAsE sEnSiTiVe cAsE sEnSiTiVe Banned Posts: 1,174
    For me personally, the NP99 is money
  • callercaller Members Posts: 1,886 ✭✭
    I got a GS tour from ebay

Couldn't hit it at all. of course it is my game not the club

One thing I noticed was that shaft was too long for me and felt real whippy

Would it be expensive to get shaft changed?

I have one blue board shaft at home and thinking about changing it

I play my driver 44.5 inch and what length shoud I get for FW?
    Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI
    Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
    Mizuno JPX800
    Titleist Vokey SM7
    Bettinardi BB32
    Pro V1 low number
  • tjrbutjrbu Ping Faithful Posts: 167
    Mainlinegolfer wrote on Aug 11 2009, 04:40 AM:

it's a .335 tip, right?

I have two Sonartec SS-07s, a 15* with a Diamana Redboard 83-S and a 19* with a Purple Ice 75-S. Both are excellent shafts for fairway woods in that they a low torque, active tip shafts. Since the PI was discontinued a few years ago, I found an inexpensive PI on eBay. I chose a PI 75 to replace my broken Aldila NV75 because, at 42 1/2", my 19* had had a swingweight of D5 and I thought a PI 85 would make it too heavy. Either PI would be fine, depending on your preference. Yes, .335 tip.

Do a search on GolfWrx for "purple ice", there should be a lot of information. Here's one thread in which a posted info on tipping and my conversation with Graphite Design:

Do they play true to flex? I'm finding a ton of X flex on the Bay, but very few stiffs. In the driver I play between stiff and X and i've played X in most stock shafts, but S in the NV and VS Proto. Arguably I could leave the X untipped and butt cut it I guess...
    tjrbu wrote on Aug 11 2009, 12:04 PM:
    Mainlinegolfer wrote on Aug 11 2009, 04:40 AM:

it's a .335 tip, right?

Do they play true to flex? I'm finding a ton of X flex on the Bay, but very few stiffs. In the driver I play between stiff and X and I've played X in most stock shafts, but S in the NV and VS Proto. Arguably I could leave the X untipped and butt cut it I guess...

True to flex and stable, but with with an "active tip section". Be careful of playing around with tipping, however, PIs are sensitive to tip trimming and cutting too much off the tip can negatively affect the intended performance of the shaft. I can't speak to whether an "X" will work for you if you deviate from the recommended amount and instead only trim the butt to the desired length. Personally, it doesn't sound like a good idea, but I guess if PIs are still cheap, you wouldn't lose much money if you experiment with trimming the tip, the butt, or a little of both.
  • Joe85Joe85 Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    I have 3 (or maybe 4) SS 03.

It's just ridiculously long. I'm not a terribly fast/long hitter of the ball, but I hauled off on my 13 degree once and hit it around 265. It was just crazy how long it goes. My 14 degree is my absolute go-to and I will never get rid of it. If my swing comes back this year I am going to put more work in with the 15 degree.
    Titleist 983E 8.5*
    Sonartec SS03 14*
    Ping i3 17* Titleist 585h 21, 24*
    MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 5-PW
    Solus 51,56,61
    Seemore Si4
    WITB Link
  • TzoidTzoid Members Posts: 1,644 ✭✭
    You just replied to a thread from almost 9 years ago...... I have a SS-02 in 14 degree that I always loved but it's been out of the bag for 4-5 years image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
    Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
    Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
    Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
    ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges Nippon WV 115 Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
    Titleist Pro V-1X