Taylormade 300 irons

rodto3rdrodto3rd Members Posts: 320
how is the rifle shaft?
I am currently looking into possibly purchasing a set of TM 300's. While on ebay i see more of the rifle shafts than the dg shafts. I play DG S300 now, and was wondering what were the differences between the two. Also, what rifle would be equal to a s300?

Comments

• 2005h42005h4 Members Posts: 616
    edited Apr 27, 2006 #2
    rifle is a good shaft. you can't go wrong with it. If you can hit s300 then you can hit rifle 5.5-6.0. better feel ....
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • LegacyUserLegacyUser Guests Posts: 0
    I just got rid of mine about 2 months ago and went with a set of KZG with the Rifle shaft. A wonderful shaft for me. I would get fitted by a rifle certified club maker though.
  • phillypetephillypete Members Posts: 1,447
    I love Rifles, to me they have a smoother reaction than the DG's. I am not sure if its the shaft or swing changes but I seem to hit the ball higher with rifles. I lost some distance, but that just means I hit my irons about average length. Besides I now I don't struggle with getting shots to check up on greens.
  • giogolfgiogolf Giogolf Members Posts: 1,266 ✭✭
    I am going to throw a wrench in the grears. As you can see, I have Rifles in my Srixon I302 irons. I have always used DGS400 shafts and decided to try something new while looking for a new set to play this season.

Well since I love th I302's so much and that they came with Rifles already I gave them a shot before I reshafted them with DGS400's. I do not know what it is about these shafts but they feel very different compared to DG's. They seem to load through the swing. The 6-PW are fine but the long irons don not feel right. I have actually heard from some other players that the longer irons in Rifle is what through them off. Any way I gave them a fair shot at 6 rounds, but I am pulling them out, to put in my faithful DGS400 shafts.

I guess its love hate with Rifles, or with me anyway. Event though they are not as old as True Temper company, they still do not have great following on the Tour's, I think 7%.

All I can say is try them out, if they do not work, you can always buy TM DGS300 shaft pulls, I know I have about 2 sets laying around that I would sell.

Good Luck.
  • MCCAMCCA Members Posts: 2,864 ✭✭
    I agree, I have a set of 300 forged that i go back to one in a while my 300's have dg S300's but the set i demoed before i purchased mine had rifles. The rifles have a totally different feel and flight can't put my finger on it but they just feel different. I love my S300's that's what I've played my entire life, i would say the S300's play close to what others have stated in rifle 5.5.

mcca
    giogolf wrote on Apr 27 2006, 05:01 PM:

I am going to throw a wrench in the grears. As you can see, I have Rifles in my Srixon I302 irons. I have always used DGS400 shafts and decided to try something new while looking for a new set to play this season.

Well since I love th I302's so much and that they came with Rifles already I gave them a shot before I reshafted them with DGS400's. I do not know what it is about these shafts but they feel very different compared to DG's. They seem to load through the swing. The 6-PW are fine but the long irons don not feel right. I have actually heard from some other players that the longer irons in Rifle is what through them off. Any way I gave them a fair shot at 6 rounds, but I am pulling them out, to put in my faithful DGS400 shafts.

I guess its love hate with Rifles, or with me anyway. Event though they are not as old as True Temper company, they still do not have great following on the Tour's, I think 7%.

All I can say is try them out, if they do not work, you can always buy TM DGS300 shaft pulls, I know I have about 2 sets laying around that I would sell.

Good Luck.

Yeah its definitely a love hate thing... because I love the way the shaft works with long irons... I think it is also a great shaft for hybrds.

It definitely loads more than a DG as I said before. To me DG's feel to dead. They rifles for me feel like they have more spring to them.

My guess is that if you are used to the S400's then the Srixon stock rifle probably a 5.5 or 6 wasn't enough shaft for you. I would be willing to say that if you were fitted to the proper rifle your opinion would probably change.
  • giogolfgiogolf Giogolf Members Posts: 1,266 ✭✭
    phillypete wrote on Apr 27 2006, 11:01 PM:

Yeah its definitely a love hate thing... because I love the way the shaft works with long irons... I think it is also a great shaft for hybrds.

It definitely loads more than a DG as I said before. To me DG's feel to dead. They rifles for me feel like they have more spring to them.

My guess is that if you are used to the S400's then the Srixon stock rifle probably a 5.5 or 6 wasn't enough shaft for you. I would be willing to say that if you were fitted to the proper rifle your opinion would probably change.

Do you think that the DGS400 shafts that I am used too are more stout compared to the Rifle 6.0's?
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,346 ✭✭
    I used to have rifles in my LCG's and loved them when i got my RAC OS's they had rifle lites and i wasnt as happy, recently got them reshafted and fitted with PX's and wow do i love them. But i think anyhting made by Royal Percision is quality
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • ChuckerChucker Members Posts: 67
    Just sold mt TM300 forged after 4 seasons. Overall they were very good irons. The stock flighted rifle 6.0 shaft felt amazing! Smooth as silk and very accurate. No vibrations at all that I can remember. However the ball flight for me was too high, and I was losing a bit of distance, especially in the 7-PW. I prefer a more boring flight and have subsequently ordered X-tours with DG300 and sensicore.
  • LegacyUserLegacyUser Guests Posts: 0
    edited Apr 29, 2006 #11
    The Rifle Tour Flighted might be a good option. They hit the ball a bit lower in the short/medium irons and a bit higher in the long irons. I use 5.5 RTFs and certainly hit the long irons better than TT DGS300.

Someone above advised getting fitted by a certified fitter. Great advice. The fitter can help customise your shafts to suit your needs.
    giogolf wrote on Apr 28 2006, 01:59 AM:

phillypete wrote on Apr 27 2006, 11:01 PM:

Do you think that the DGS400 shafts that I am used too are more stout compared to the Rifle 6.0's?

Number wise, I don't know... I do know that the 6.0 feel softer than the S300. the rifles have a more graphite like feel to them.
  • crew_138crew_138 Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,337
    Rifles are all I play now... switched from DG's never going back.
  • kmrevkmrev Members Posts: 566
    IMHO, I think the S300 can't hold a candle to the Rifle shafts. I prefer the Rifle flighted for more ball flight control. An equal to the S300 would be Rifle 5.5-6.0. They are very solid and feel firm. I've used them for ten years now...
  • TobyToby Members Posts: 222
    I have the Miura 300's and pulled the TFR 6.0 because they had been tipped to play more like 7.0 which is way too stout for me. Put Nippon 950's in them and can't image anything else. The most smooth and fun experience I ever had with a set of irons. And it's all Japanese! image/crazy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

/Toby