Precept Tour Premium CB

I've played a lot of Irons over the last 5 years, but I just cannot get rid of these...they keep coming back to the bag.

Appearance - I've heard people say that these have too much offset for them...that is lost on me. They do have a bit, but the topline is very thin. The set is pretty blade like through the 6 iron, then 5 on up have a tungsten plug in the sole, and the cavity gets bigger and bigger. The topline stays thin though, pretty...pretty forging.

Forgiveness - Of all the combo sets I've tried, the problem I've had is that the cavity backs feel like a different club, so it feels like you have two different kinds of clubs in your bag (which you do)...I don't like that. These are the opposite; it looks like the same friggin club PW through 2 iron. From the rough, the sole is wide enough to handle a full swing, and the cavity/tungsten makes the long clubs very stable.

'Feel' - This is one of the softest forgings I've had...feels like a Mizuno. I don't know where they were forged, but wherever they did it was well done.

Value - The only problem is, they aren't made anymore. If you can find these, they are usually cheap, like flea market cheap.

So there's my review of a 4 year old set...sue me

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Ventus Black TR 6x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* Speeder 757 x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* LIN-Q M40X Blue

Wilson DP 3h HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 

Callaway Apex 24 MB 6 to 11 iron, MMT 105 TX

Callaway Jaws 54/58/64 KBS 130

Edel EAS 1.0 custom

Wilson Staff Model Ball

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Tour Premium irons too...the non-cavity version. This get played probably about half the time, but are my "back-up" set. I will NEVER get rid of this...I just love them. As stated above, very soft, good distance, very workable...and I have played them so long nothing LOOKS better to me. The non-cavity have VERY little offset, and a perfect sized head. I really love 'em!

• 2 months later...

I have a set of the CBs and although I don't use them that much, I really like the way they feel. I'm currently looking to get the plain non-cavities like BLADE was talking about because I like less offset. I've hit both sets, and I can tell you that they are both great, and if you can get your hands on a set of either, you'd be very happy. Plus, like NEARFALL said, they are dirt cheap right now, if I remember correctly, I got mine practically brand new for like a hundred bucks at a proshop somewhere. Regardless, high quality irons, super feel and great look.

• 3 months later...

I've had both sets, the non-CB and the CB's and although both are great, the CB's are the better set for me. I just picked up a set of TS-202's but my heart is still with the Tour premium CB's.

They are outstanding forgings and they wear so much better than other japan forgings. Mizuno's wear so easily. I"ve got 30 rounds and dozens of practice sessions on these, and they look like they've played may 6 or 7 rounds. No chrome loss, feel like butter and they setup so clean looking.

I picked up a set with DGX100 Sensicores, brand new for $240. That's a steal! No point in selling as they always make the lineup eventually!

Great sticks!

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 set to 9.5 with Graphite Design VR 6x
Callaway AI Smoke TD 3 wood, Ventus TR Red 7 S

Callaway AI Smoke TD 7 wood, Denali

Titleist T200 4I GD AD 95 shaft

Titleist T150-5-PW Modus Nippon 120 S
TM Copper 2024 MG4 Wedges, 50, 56, 60 Modus Nippon 120 S

Toulon 24 Collection Fist Run Austin

• 2 months later...

A friend and I found a NEW set at an Edwin Watts in Fl. and purchased them for $240!! I reshafted them for him with PX 6.0', cut and gripped them.

I have had more sets of clubs than I can count and I have NEVER had a set this perfect from retail. Every lie and loft was exact, not one adjustment needed to be made and all swingweights were spot on, very, very impressive.

I do not know if we got lucky or if this is the norm for Bridgestone, but the quality control on this set was awesome. ;)

• 1 year later...

I hate to say what I'm going to say, so don't quote me!

One of the best irons ever made in IMHO!! Soft and always spot on from Bridgestone. And yes. They were one of the last Japanese forgings from Bridgstone.

On a side note. I always felt the Founders Club Tour CB was also rather nice. I mention it because they were both similar to me.

• 11 months later...

Picked up a used set cheap just because of the reviews. I gotta say, these are a really nice set of stix. I love the feel, weight and look. I bit of offset, thin top line, a bit upright from the factory...fit me pretty well. They are easy to swing and good contact is very rewarding. Mishits are no worse than my 962's. You get the feeling you can swing easy with the long irons and get good results. The ball flight is easy to control and the long irons are easy to get up and online. My boys are fighting over them as I speak, so I may be looking for another set, or something similar.

Ping G400 LST 10* Rogue Max 65G S
Ping G400 3 W 15*  Rogue Max 80G S

2023 Cobra King Tour 4-P $Taper 120 S
Odyssey Rossie II 35"

Picked up a used set cheap just because of the reviews. I gotta say, these are a really nice set of stix. I love the feel, weight and look. I bit of offset, thin top line, a bit upright from the factory...fit me pretty well. They are easy to swing and good contact is very rewarding. Mishits are no worse than my 962's. You get the feeling you can swing easy with the long irons and get good results. The ball flight is easy to control and the long irons are easy to get up and online. My boys are fighting over them as I speak, so I may be looking for another set, or something similar.

aaargh, i wish i didnt sell them now, heh. I miss them and Im already looking for another set as well. Saw a BRAND NEW set sell on ebay a few weeks ago for around $300. glad you like em. i sure did!

• 6 months later...

true...one of the most playable semi-blades there are, offset lets these to be played form even 15 HCP's...best feeling irons I have played when i was higher HCP...STILL have mine as a 3rd set by now and you almost dont get any money for em so I keep them (dont know why, but I do) for now...even have complete 2- PW set...anyone interested ? lol

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased a set of Precept Tour Premium CB's at Roger Dunns' in North Hollywood, CA. After 1 round I was ready to take them back and exchange them for a different set. With the True Temper Taylite shaft the club felt dead and the ball was at leat 1 club length shorter than the irons I was previously playing. When I returned them to the store the Precept rep happened to be there. I told him my story and he asked if I would try the clubs with FCM 6.0 Rifle's. He felt the true temper shaft was the wrong shaft for these heads. He also told me that these irons were forged in the same facility as Mizuno irons so they should have a similar feel. If I didn't like them with the rifle shafts bring them back and he'd have the store exchange them for anything I wanted. That was about 5 years ago and I still have those irons. I won a tournament this past weekend with the 5-PW in my bag. They are soft feeling and still look good. Hope this helps.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='bullrambler' timestamp='1360436816' post='6395217']
I have a set with DG R-400. I was wondering if they are Taper tip?
[/quote]

Not sure if you got your answer, but yes they are. Tip size is 0.355". Additional information can be found in the following two links:

http://www.golfworks.com/images/art/oem_replacement_list.htm

http://www.equip2golf.com/specifications/specs_frameset.html?precept/precept_tour_premium_cb.html~specs