If you could afford only one wedge, what would you recommend?

rosskoss

Brand and angle.
My Irons run from 3 iron to a pitching wedge. However, I don't have a sand wedge or any other wedges (other than the afore mentioned pitching wedge)

If you could afford only one wedge, what would you recommend and what angle would it be? I'm looking for an inexpensive new wedge but a good, used wedge would also work out so it would be helpful if any recommendations included two options - one keeping price in mind, and one, price irrespective. (that I can buy used on ebay)

Thanks in advance for any advice

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The interesting thing about the wedge market is that they all cost, more or less, the same (to within about $20).

The easy part of the question, for me, would be the angle...if I could only have one other wedge besides for my pitching wedge I would carry a 56 degree with a lower bounce.

If you can find one used, I would get a Vokey Spin Milled, but a Vokey 256 would be great also and can probably be had for a little less $$$.

Other good ones to look for are the old (pre DSG) Cleveland 588 or Cleveland 900 which can be had for a song on the used market these days.

But the caviat being: wedges are all a matter of preference, kind of like putters. There's a lot of wedges out there so find one that suits you in terms of looks, weight and feel then have the patience to find it cheap on eBay.

My Irons run from 3 iron to a pitching wedge. However, I don't have a sand wedge or any other wedges (other than the afore mentioned pitching wedge)

If you could afford only one wedge, what would you recommend and what angle would it be? I'm looking for an inexpensive new wedge but a good, used wedge would also work out so it would be helpful if any recommendations included two options - one keeping price in mind, and one, price irrespective. (that I can buy used on ebay)

Thanks in advance for any advice

It depends on several variables.

Are you going to be using it out of the sand? Will it be used in the fairway and the sand? If used in the fairway, what type of lies (tight or lot's of rough) do you normally see? What kind of sand (fluffy or coarse) do you normally see?

Those are just some of the things to factor in before making a purchase. However, the simple answer is to get a 54* or 56* wedge with medium bounce. That gives you enough versatility to start with and then you can another wedge later when you can afford it.

Hope this helps. :friends:

Ping G430 Max 10.5° | Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 569
TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° | UST Mamiya ProForce 65

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 18° | Mitsubishi Kai'li Red 65

Srixon ZX MKII 22° & 25° | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 70

Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL 6-GW | True Temper Dynamic Gold 95
Cleveland CBX2 54° & 58° | Rotex 90
PXG Battle Ready M16 Bat Attack

"Golf is assuredly a mystifying game. It would seem that if a person has hit a golf ball correctly a thousand times, he should be able to duplicate the performance at will. But such is certainly not the case." - Bobby Jones

if your worried about price - nothing beats a cleveland 588 raw - about $50, brand new. These wedges are soft and bite very well. As far as angle - if you dont have a wedge (usually 50 degrees) or a sand wedge (usually 56 degrees). I would say split the difference - get a 52, 53, 54 degree wedge. If you have a wedge in your set, go ahead and get a 56 degree wedge, but even if it is the wrong angle a 588 can be bent 4 degrees either way with no problems what so ever, except that it will eventually return to its original bend position.

I agree with they all the posts.

A 56 with 8-10 degrees of loft is probably your best bet. You can still hit decent length approach shots, use it from the sand and still just about roll the face open. I'd definetely look at the Vokey spin milled, it's a great wedge. Cleveland 588 is a classic and still popular and the Cleveland CG10 with low bounce is nice (although this might not be quite as versatile as the others)

Most of the golf equipment websites have Mizuno clubs on offer and you could do worse than looking at the MP T-series.

It's still all about personal preference and ideally you should get out there and try them. If that's really not an option then you won't go far wrong with any of the above.

don't laugh, but if you want something quality and very inexpensive, look at the wilson harmonized wedges. they can be had for less than $30 and are good wedges. you aren't going to get agressive tour grooves like tm tp and spin mills, but they are good for the money.

if you were to get just one, i would go with something in a 54-56* range. its a good loft for sand, and with practice you can still hit a pretty decent flop shot with it.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Guys, thank you all for your wonderful responses. It's amazing what a wealth of knowledge this forum is! You guys definitely know your clubs.

After reading all your responses, I've decided to go with a 56 degree wedge. I'm now leaning towards either a used Vokey Spin Milled or a used Cleveland 588 but I'm still researching some of the other wedges mentioned as a new option.

I don't think I fully understand the concept of bounce so I'm not sure what kind of bounce angle I'm looking for. Basically, I'll be using the wedge to play approach shots into the green with high, soft landings and good spin. I also want to use it for some 'finesse' shots near and around the green. However, since I don't have a dedicated sand wedge, I also need the wedge to work in the sand for bunker shots.

So keeping that in mind, should I get a low, medium or high bounce?

Great! I'm all set now. Thanks again for the advice everyone. You've all been extremely helpful and I've learned a lot about wedges in the process.

While researching some of the wedges that were listed in this thread, I came upon Golf Digest's Wedge Hot List

While the Cleveland CG10 is the Editor's Pick, this $50 wedge got a great review as well and was mentioned as "surprise of the day". Anyone own one of these (Tour Edge Bazooka Jmax)?

Here's the Golf Digest review for the Tour Edge Wedge

http://www.golfdigest.com/photos/hotlistdr...dex=11&g_id=107