Hogan's imagery of elbow's close together...

2»

Comments

• tembolo1284tembolo1284 Boom Boom Banned  20715WRX Points: 1Handicap: BeefPosts: 20,715 Titanium Tees
    What a great thread.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • flybubflybub Members  275WRX Points: 62Posts: 275 Greens
    It's funny because I've been thinking about the right elbow during the swing and it originated from my bowling career. I was raised in a bowling center (my family owns 2 centers) and I have always been taught by my father who was a great bowler for most of his life. For a righty the crease in my right arm (opposite my elbow) must face my target otherwise my elbow flies out and I pull my shot. So in my golf swing I feel like my crease should be facing almost perpendicular to my target line that in turn does 2 things in my mind. (1) it keeps the handle of the club ahead of the face and (2) it prevents the right elbow getting stuck. If that crease is facing the target then I'm almost certain to flip at the bottom of the swing. Now that probably doesn't work for everyone but that thought has certainly helped me.
    Posted:
  • tembolo1284tembolo1284 Boom Boom Banned  20715WRX Points: 1Handicap: BeefPosts: 20,715 Titanium Tees
    Love that pic of butch and tiger.
    Posted:
  • lonestar48lonestar48 Members  189WRX Points: 0Posts: 189
    I couldn't wait to add to this thread after keying in on something recently that has held up with every club in the bag so far.

Since we are all built differently, with different muscle structure, flexibility, etc., the important thing to remember is what Hogan says he felt. Having the elbow pits pointing straight up is not the key...the key is twisting, pronating, whatever you need to do to feel like those elbows are connected. Video of your swing may show something entirely different than what your body feels, especially if you're not used to it yet.

I tried to exaggerate the pronated, twisted feel of the right arm while keeping the upper arms connected to my side and have begun striking the ball really well. For me, I feel like I'm twisting my right arm open (palm up) as much as I can to the top of my backswing, then hitting down and through hard. Working great so far but its hard to tell the difference in most before and after video, even though to me it feels like the difference should be night and day!
    Posted:
    Titleist 910 D2, 8.5*, Aldila RIP-stiff
    Titleist 910F 15*, 19*
    Mizuno MP-64, 3-PW
    Mizuno MP T-4 50*, 56* Vokey 60*
    PING Anser
  • limcaucolimcauco Members  223WRX Points: 0Posts: 223
    Tex, you mean rotating the right forearm clockwise or counterclockwise from your perspective? Pronating=counterclockwise, correct?
    Posted:
    limcauco wrote:

Tex, you mean rotating the right forearm clockwise or counterclockwise from your perspective? Pronating=counterclockwise, correct?

I'm not as concerned with the forearm as I am with the upper arm. Try to feel like you're pushing your right elbow down a little while rotating your upper arm clockwise as far as you can (looking down at ball perspective). Keep the club on plane and keep both upper arms connected to your body. Don't sway out of a nice, tight turn around your right hip. Actually squat into that loaded leg and hip. Stop when it feels like your upper arm is flat or level (it won't be but I said feels) or that you're going to hit it about 80% or so. Focus on a spot a couple inches behind the ball and see what happens...

Simplified even further...try to feel like you're twisting that right arm so much that it might break!

I'm hitting it longer and straighter than I ever have in my life with every club in the bag, even partial wedge shots! Good luck!
    Posted:
    Titleist 910F 15*, 19*
    Mizuno MP-64, 3-PW
    PING Anser

Advertisement
  • AtraynAtrayn ChicagoClubWRX  2197WRX Points: 206Posts: 2,197 Platinum Tees
    Greyboy wrote:

JD3 wrote:

He absolutely did. Can be seen working on it throughout his career. I know it's awkward at first, but commit to it and several things will fall into place.

Harmon takes a lot of heat around here ... deservedly so at times ... but he did pickup one essential piece from his father having Hogan around the house.

Love this picture ....

butchharmon-001.jpg

This is a cool pic, and I'm assuming something I'm currently working on. Is Butch preventhing Tigers elbow from going out (flying) and making sure he's keeping it more vertical so his hands are infront of him?

I tend to get inside and flat on the backswing, with a flying right elbow and the arms behind me causing an overswing. I've been working on keeping that right elbow more up and down at the top of the backswing with my hands infront of me - definitely seems to help prevent me from coming OTT as much as I normally do.

Would have to know the context of the article or discussion that goes along with the image.
    Posted:
    Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
    https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
    2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
    2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
    2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
    2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
    2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
    2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
    2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
    Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter
    lonestar48 wrote:

limcauco wrote:

I'm not as concerned with the forearm as I am with the upper arm. Try to feel like you're pushing your right elbow down a little while rotating your upper arm clockwise as far as you can (looking down at ball perspective). Keep the club on plane and keep both upper arms connected to your body. Don't sway out of a nice, tight turn around your right hip. Actually squat into that loaded leg and hip. Stop when it feels like your upper arm is flat or level (it won't be but I said feels) or that you're going to hit it about 80% or so. Focus on a spot a couple inches behind the ball and see what happens...

Simplified even further...try to feel like you're twisting that right arm so much that it might break!

I'm hitting it longer and straighter than I ever have in my life with every club in the bag, even partial wedge shots! Good luck!

Ok. Technically, external rotation of right shoulder?
    Posted:
    Atrayn wrote:

Greyboy wrote:

JD3 wrote:

He absolutely did. Can be seen working on it throughout his career. I know it's awkward at first, but commit to it and several things will fall into place.

Harmon takes a lot of heat around here ... deservedly so at times ... but he did pickup one essential piece from his father having Hogan around the house.

Love this picture ....

butchharmon-001.jpg

This is a cool pic, and I'm assuming something I'm currently working on. Is Butch preventhing Tigers elbow from going out (flying) and making sure he's keeping it more vertical so his hands are infront of him?

I tend to get inside and flat on the backswing, with a flying right elbow and the arms behind me causing an overswing. I've been working on keeping that right elbow more up and down at the top of the backswing with my hands infront of me - definitely seems to help prevent me from coming OTT as much as I normally do.

Would have to know the context of the article or discussion that goes along with the image.

Is that available?
    Posted:
  • fatsfats Members  1865WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,865
    Mike_C wrote:

To be honest, this ONE thing in Hogan's book, goof me up for years. It if physically impossible for me to make much of a backswing with my left arm in the posisition shown in the book. Right arm? Sure, it points at the hip. But the only way I can turn with my left elbow pointing inward is I must rotate my left arm from the shoulder socket, which creates a big inside move on the way back.

At impact, the left arm has the elbow pointing basically down the line, not at your hip. Some old timer gave me this tip years ago, and this is the position I decided to start with, as that is where I wanted to get back to. From there, I could take the club straight back and not way inside with a rotating arm...this one change improved my game more than anything ever did. Post impact, it rotates left, but at impact, its going down the line....

Here is Hogan at impact:

hoganimpact1.jpg

Now look at this sequence, Hogan has his left arm with the elbow pointing down the line just at takeaway, and at impact:

gwar01_swings.jpg

A young Nicklaus at impact, this is what I strive for, if my body would allow:

inar01_jack_nickaus.jpg

setup:

Nicklaus-SwingCenters.jpg

Old Jack, notice his left arm/elbow still in the same spot at address:

inar01_nicklausswing.jpg

Here is Tiger at impact:

tiger8.jpg

inar01_woods_irons.jpg

Annika:

SorenstamHeadSwivel.jpg

sorenstam_hotswing.gif

Young and old Watson:

inar01_tom_watson_swing.jpg

inar02_tom_watson_swing.jpg
    Very good. Just don't relate it to the BS. It's all about the impact zone in the DS. Oh, and BTW it appears the "low left society" has finally left the building. - Hooray !!
    Posted:
    Nice to see you posting again sir fats!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • fatsfats Members  1865WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,865
    It pleases me to see a topic where it's visual rather than "some guy's theory." The Jack image is as good as it gets. Draw a line down from his L hip to L shoe (Would start middle of upper L forearm) all very much a Hogan position albeit it way more powerful.
    Posted:
    Nice to see you posting Larry. You should post more often. Do you teach pointing the left elbow dtl right at setup? From there, is it an active move?
    Posted:
    fats won't give it away that easily!
    Posted:
    Worth trying though...image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    Wait...that the secret???
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Even if it is...Fats won't tell!
    Posted:
    Sad to say, yes. Guess we're left with thousands of posts to read bet lines and figure it out ourselves.
    Posted:
    Or hook a lesson with those who knows and hope they give you a hint!
    Posted:
    You can get a lesson from Fats himself!
    Posted:

Details please! PM me when you get a chance.
    Posted:
    Titleist 910F 15*, 19*
    Mizuno MP-64, 3-PW
    PING Anser

Advertisement
    lonestar48 wrote:

Details please! PM me when you get a chance.

I'd PM Fats.
    Posted:
  • eightironeightiron Banned  3136WRX Points: 0Posts: 3,136
    Jbacoustics another svs lima cuckoo handle that got banned lmao
    Posted:
    who got banned now?
    Posted:
  • ej002ej002 Unregistered  5129WRX Points: 3Posts: 5,129 Titanium Tees
    Nobody, there is an old banned handle early on called JBL
    Posted:
    what are doc's thoughts on the elbows?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Mike_CMike_C Members  1593WRX Points: 204Posts: 1,593 Platinum Tees
    fats wrote:

Mike_C wrote:

To be honest, this ONE thing in Hogan's book, goof me up for years. It if physically impossible for me to make much of a backswing with my left arm in the posisition shown in the book. Right arm? Sure, it points at the hip. But the only way I can turn with my left elbow pointing inward is I must rotate my left arm from the shoulder socket, which creates a big inside move on the way back.

At impact, the left arm has the elbow pointing basically down the line, not at your hip. Some old timer gave me this tip years ago, and this is the position I decided to start with, as that is where I wanted to get back to. From there, I could take the club straight back and not way inside with a rotating arm...this one change improved my game more than anything ever did. Post impact, it rotates left, but at impact, its going down the line....

Here is Hogan at impact:

hoganimpact1.jpg

Now look at this sequence, Hogan has his left arm with the elbow pointing down the line just at takeaway, and at impact:

gwar01_swings.jpg

A young Nicklaus at impact, this is what I strive for, if my body would allow:

inar01_jack_nickaus.jpg

setup:

Nicklaus-SwingCenters.jpg

Old Jack, notice his left arm/elbow still in the same spot at address:

inar01_nicklausswing.jpg

Here is Tiger at impact:

tiger8.jpg

inar01_woods_irons.jpg

Annika:

SorenstamHeadSwivel.jpg

sorenstam_hotswing.gif

Young and old Watson:

inar01_tom_watson_swing.jpg

inar02_tom_watson_swing.jpg
    Very good. Just don't relate it to the BS. It's all about the impact zone in the DS. Oh, and BTW it appears the "low left society" has finally left the building. - Hooray !!

I relate it to the back swing in my instance because of the position shown in Hogan's book, and how if I start there, it gets me out of position going back. I guess If I could start rotated in, and get back at impact to the picture shown in a young Nicklaus, that would be fine, but I can't.

As I said, in my mind, I strive for the positions that is shown by a young Jack, just my old body is pretty much in the shape and condition of the old Jack....
    Posted:
    WITB
    Ping G410 LST 9.0 Tensei CK Orange 60 X
    Ping G410 LST 3W Tensei CK Orange 70 S
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    TM GAPR Mid 4 hybrid KBS Hybrid S
    Srixon Z585 5 iron Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon Z785 6-PW Recoil 95 F5
    Cleveland CBX 2 52 bent to 51 DG 120 S
    Callaway MD 4 54/10 S Modus 3 115 W
    Ping Eye 2 SW 57.5 ZZ lite
    Original Ping B60, White Hot 2 ball blade, Never Compromise Dinero Baron,  or Cleveland BRZ 2
    Srixon Z Star or XV
    I really like the annika footage. She kinda has a hula hoop hip action going on there.
    Posted:
  • hoganswinghoganswing Members  156WRX Points: 25Posts: 156 Fairways
    chris_golf wrote:

I see a lot of people believing that they have to keep the elbows together... In my understanding I allways believed he was meaning to keep the pressure under your armpits alive...

From my research Hogan did not have his arms close together at setup. I saw an ad for a product yesterday that claimed to help you have arms close together like Hogan did at setup. And it's clear he didn't do this. There's a lot in five lessons that Hogan never did but he told others they should do. Not sure what to make of that to be honest. Feel vs. Real maybe. I heard somewhere someone asked him about those sore of discrepancies and he told the person it's all there, you just have to read between the lines. :-)
    Posted:
    How To Swing Like Ben Hogan
    http://www.HoganSwing.com

Advertisement
    good stuff hoganswing! His right foot being perpendicular to the line of flight is another thing he didn't do. He turned out his right foot a bit.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.