2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Are PGA Tour players paid to use Scotty Cameron putters?

H823Putt

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm told they do not get tee up money. But they do get awesome flat sticks :)

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

yes they are absolutely paid

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Tiger never got paid to game that putter.

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

Just about every OEM pays for every club in your bag. If you don't think tee up money plays a factor for a lot of players when choosing equipment you're kidding yourself. But if you think the only reason Scotty gets play on tour is money then again, you're kidding yourself.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

$1000....none of those guys out there are going to game a putter just based on getting a thousand bucks or even 5 times that much. the guys who game scotty's putter do so because they believe thats the best putter for them. same thing goes for the guy who games a ping or any other OEM. now would i play a putter if they gave me $1000 every weekend? haha of course i would, id play a pal joey every week for $500

[quote name='jasonTeI3' timestamp='1295928876' post='2922483']
$1000....none of those guys out there are going to game a putter just based on getting a thousand bucks or even 5 times that much. the guys who game scotty's putter do so because they believe thats the best putter for them. same thing goes for the guy who games a ping or any other OEM. now would i play a putter if they gave me $1000 every weekend? haha of course i would, id play a pal joey every week for $500
[/quote]

Right, I think its foolish to think any of the Top 125 players on tour are going to use a Cameron solely for the $1,000 check every week.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

I think a lot of Tour players read all the snazzy WITB posts here and ho accordingly. :rolleyes:

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Agree with above. People play a putter that makes putts unless your a journeyman trying to make a nice living and can use all the money you can get while you have your tour card. Like every OEM Titleist pays big money to the big guys to sink that putt on sunday with a Scotty Cameron. Just like Nike, TM, Odyssey ect... From what I heard Titliest is paying more in the last few years to play the putter due to increasing competetion from other manufacturers stepping up their putter lines.
If you really want a putter that is used by pro's and they don't get paid a dime to do it, Rife is it. They get a ton of use and pay no one.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Why do so many use Scotty Cameron putters?

$ aside Look at the slideshows , see the Bob Hope, in the middle is 10-20 customs in dark gray?

Look at the mid shaft weld.

[url="http://www.scottycameron.com/ontour/slideshows.aspx"]http://www.scottycameron.com/ontour/slideshows.aspx[/url]

Then think of the van to check everything lofts to 1/4 degree
every type & kind of grip. Kid at a candy store. some very nice stuff!

[quote name='bppry' timestamp='1295971048' post='2923182']
A good indication could be taken from the european tour where scotty does not pay. His putters are not nearly as popular over there as on the pga tour.

Yes they pay on the pga tour. Does that influence a top tier player, no. Does it influence someone struggling to make cuts and pay his expenses, maybe.
[/quote]

Also, just a thought on that. There isn't a bag FULL of Cameron gear at the players disposal like at PGA Tour events. Don't you think that makes a difference? If I played on the European Tour I'm going to pick up a putter on the practice greens. The guys on the PGA Tour have access to everything Cameron as well as all the custom options.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

[quote name='Dizz' timestamp='1295973955' post='2923284']
A good indication could be taken from the european tour where scotty does not pay. His putters are not nearly as popular over there as on the pga tour.

Yes they pay on the pga tour. Does that influence a top tier player, no. Does it influence someone struggling to make cuts and pay his expenses, maybe.
[/quote]

Also, just a thought on that. There isn't a bag FULL of Cameron gear at the players disposal like at PGA Tour events. Don't you think that makes a difference? If I played on the European Tour I'm going to pick up a putter on the practice greens. The guys on the PGA Tour have access to everything Cameron as well as all the custom options.
[/quote]

The question should be why is that. Clearly cameron and titleist want to have the number one putter on the pga. And will pay to do so. Also if the product is so far and beyond the competition as some people say why do top players from oversees not seek out to have a cameron? Like was said earlier a player will play only what they believe will work for them, do euros not think cameron is a top product? Or is the lack of pay to play why cameron does not have the same popularity? Just a thought. I personally have 4 camerons and like them all, so not trying to put them down but money does factor in to it.

Word of mouth and seeing the results from other players. Agreed that the larger names don't need the extra couple of bucks for the tee up, but players gravitate to the clubs that are popular with their competition. As always there are exceptions to the rule and there will never be a time when everyone is playing a Scotty, but the popularity is undeniable.

Also with the attention Scotty gives his putters and the fact that he can/will create items specifically for players I think a lot of pros enjoy the service.

Or maybe everyone just thinks the headcovers are really cool? :D

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips 

[quote name='bppry' timestamp='1295974746' post='2923322']

[/quote]

[/quote]

The question should be why is that. Clearly cameron and titleist want to have the number one putter on the pga. And will pay to do so. Also if the product is so far and beyond the competition as some people say why do top players from oversees not seek out to have a cameron? Like was said earlier a player will play only what they believe will work for them, do euros not think cameron is a top product? Or is the lack of pay to play why cameron does not have the same popularity? Just a thought. I personally have 4 camerons and like them all, so not trying to put them down but money does factor in to it.
[/quote]

I don't get what you're saying. I think anyone putting putters out there wants to be the #1 putter on the PGA. Who's saying that Cameron's are far and beyond anything else? First of all, putting is confidence...there isn't some pixie dust sprinkled on any one brands putters that wills them to make putts. Cameron makes an excellent putter that looks and feels great with all kinds of custom options...finishes, shapes, alignment, grips, and any tweaks to putters with necks and personal specs done on sight. Its my opinion that Cameron putters are the best looking putters and when you get an excellent feel with a 100% milled putter built to your specs for you, chances are you will be drawn to it. I would imagine that money to play it is just a bonus. You don't think that the bag full of TM or Odyssey putters in the bags are "pay for play" putters for those guys? European Tour players don't have the same access to Cameron stuff, so what are they gonna do fly to the US to pick up a putter on their dime and get no compensation for it? Money factors into everything in life but in my opinion I don't think players on tour play very individual clubs like putters solely for the money. Now, if there was a Rife and a Cameron and you couldn't decide which was better for you between these two because you putted the same with both...I'd imagine most would pick the Cameron because there is money on top of it. But the other major brands are paying for their use too.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

[quote name='Dizz' timestamp='1295975545' post='2923359']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't get what you're saying. I think anyone putting putters out there wants to be the #1 putter on the PGA. Who's saying that Cameron's are far and beyond anything else? First of all, putting is confidence...there isn't some pixie dust sprinkled on any one brands putters that wills them to make putts. Cameron makes an excellent putter that looks and feels great with all kinds of custom options...finishes, shapes, alignment, grips, and any tweaks to putters with necks and personal specs done on sight. Its my opinion that Cameron putters are the best looking putters and when you get an excellent feel with a 100% milled putter built to your specs for you, chances are you will be drawn to it. I would imagine that money to play it is just a bonus. You don't think that the bag full of TM or Odyssey putters in the bags are "pay for play" putters for those guys? European Tour players don't have the same access to Cameron stuff, so what are they gonna do fly to the US to pick up a putter on their dime and get no compensation for it? Money factors into everything in life but in my opinion I don't think players on tour play very individual clubs like putters solely for the money. Now, if there was a Rife and a Cameron and you couldn't decide which was better for you between these two because you putted the same with both...I'd imagine most would pick the Cameron because there is money on top of it. But the other major brands are paying for their use too.
[/quote]

My point is that that pay to play is the extra push that gets cameron to the number one spot on the pga tour. That's it. The top guys are going to do what they want but the bottom guys struggling week to week are going to be influenced. Just like taylormade with the number one driver in play. However my point with the euro players is if they found it to be truely better yes they would come over for a fitting. Most of the top guys are here anyways at somepoint. That's all. I just see a large gap between the number in play on both tours and one has pay to play. Now I can speak to the difference in fitting that can happen at a euro event for taylor or oddysey but I do wonder why cameron would not offer the same options at a tour stop of a euro event they would in the states.

[quote name='bppry' timestamp='1295978030' post='2923464']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My point is that that pay to play is the extra push that gets cameron to the number one spot on the pga tour. That's it. The top guys are going to do what they want but the bottom guys struggling week to week are going to be influenced. Just like taylormade with the number one driver in play. However my point with the euro players is if they found it to be truely better yes they would come over for a fitting. Most of the top guys are here anyways at somepoint. That's all. I just see a large gap between the number in play on both tours and one has pay to play. Now I can speak to the difference in fitting that can happen at a euro event for taylor or oddysey but I do wonder why cameron would not offer the same options at a tour stop of a euro event they would in the states.
[/quote]

Maybe you're missing the point. ALL OEM's PAY PLAYERS TO PLAY THEIR PUTTERS.

The European Tour doesn't have nearly the access to Cameron goodies that the US players do. Due to that fact, the Euro players are more than likely NOT going to travel to the US on their own dime to get fitted for a putter, when they can get catered to on their respective tour.

Maybe you'll get it now.

TM '17 M2 9.5* - Accra Tour Z X465 M4
PING G5 - Aldila NV75S

TM MC 3-PW - DG S300
Titleist Vokey SM4 52/56/60
Scotty Cameron TEI3

[quote name='GetmeouttaJersey' timestamp='1295979313' post='2923518']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The European Tour doesn't have nearly the access to Cameron goodies that the US players do. Due to that fact, the Euro players are more than likely NOT going to travel to the US on their own dime to get fitted for a putter, when they can get catered to on their respective tour.

Maybe you'll get it now.
[/quote]

Thanks jersey but clearly we all know they pay here. But what I question is why aren't all the same options avail to euro players? And why not a pay to play on the euro tour for what they do have access to?

And the redundant statement that a euro player wont fly over to get fitted on his own dime is getting old. You mean to say if poulter, Westwood or graeme wanted a cameron it wouldn't happen?
(Forgive me if I spelt his name wrong)

[quote name='bppry' timestamp='1295980309' post='2923565']
[quote name='GetmeouttaJersey' timestamp='1295979313' post='2923518']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe you'll get it now.
[/quote]

Thanks jersey but clearly we all know they pay here. But what I question is why aren't all the same options avail to euro players? And why not a pay to play on the euro tour for what they do have access to?

And the redundant statement that a euro player wont fly over to get fitted on his own dime is getting old. You mean to say if poulter, Westwood or graeme wanted a cameron it wouldn't happen?
(Forgive me if I spelt his name wrong)
[/quote]

It's not getting old. If Cameron thought it would be profitable to have his putters set up at European Tour events then he would do it. Its going to cost him money to send a staff, more putters and equipment to those events plus travel and hotel and anything else included in that. Perhaps he knows that guys on the European Tour wouldn't impact his sales as much as it would cost him to send all that across the pond. If one of those top 3 guys wanted a Cameron they would get it absolutely no questions asked...Poulter has used one in previous years as well. The other two, GM and LW are already playing seriously great golf that they probably aren't thinking much about the name on the putter. The point I'm trying to make, the putters aren't as readily available to pick up and try in practice there as they are here. So if you're a Euro tour player getting paid $1,000 a week to play an Odyssey why are you going to spend your own money to fly to the US and pick up a Cameron for no incentive? I'm sure if Cameron set up a bag of putters at the next European Tour event there would be more than a handful picked up a fooled around with...no guarantee the player will put it in play though. Having that opportunity every week gets the putters in play. I'm not gonna go around and pick up every putter on the practice green if I just had 23 putts the round before. I'm gonna be looking to change putters when I'm not putting well.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400