What is the best ball for helping with a slice off the tee???

nikpharmd

Every time I go into Golfsmith and ask this question, they point me toward the Bridgestone e6. So, of course, I bought a box and tested them on the course. For me, the ball did appear to go pretty darn straight. However, I wasn't enamored with the ball and can't say that this is definitely my ball of choice. From my last post, I took the recommendation to buy a box of the Callaway HX Diablo Tour. So I will test those out next week. Is there any consensus out there on the best ball to help keep close to the fairway without sacrificing distance and still has a little spin on the greens with a nice putting feel?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any ball that's low spin enough to reduce a slice meaningfully is going to be very low spin around the greens. alas. But they do vary a lot IMO as to how well they roll on the greens and how controllable they are for distance with the putter. I don't think it's physically possible to make a ball that spins a lot when hit softly around the green but spins very little when hit with a full swing.

The one kind of ball I can't play at all is something like the old HX Hot. Nothing in this world could be straighter or longer (counting carry+roll) on tee shots. But not only do they not spin at all on the green, they are so hard and "hot" they are also prone to just jumping off the club on a chip or putt and running 10 or 20 feet more than you want them too. That's just too much of a good thing!

FWIW, I find the HX Diablo Tour to spin with all shots noticeably more than the e6. For me the e6 is about as low-spin as I could ever go and be comfortable around the greens.

I'm a life-long slicer off the tee, and a ball ho. It's true there are differnces in balls. Some go a bit straighter than othes. But after 20 years of looking for too much help from the ball, I now accept that I MUST hit the ball with a square face and a good path to feel satisfied. There's no ball I can't slice into the woods, so I've given up trying to keep it in play by choosing a certain ball. Now, I buy balls based on short game performance, and work on my swing more. Its just the right thing to do. It was like a spiritual awakening, but it took 20 years to get there.

If you're not ready for this, you won't get much straighter than the E6. And the Diablo Tour it my favorite non urethane ball ever, followed by the Gamer V2.

E6 and Q-Star are my go-to balls when my swing is off and I'm not able to control bending my Z-Stars. They definitely give up spin around the green but don't feel like total rocks when chipping and putting. That said, if you're SLICING (not just a 10-15 yard fade) no ball is going to really help that.

Ping G30 LS 10.5
TEE CB3 16.5
Adams Super LS 19, A12 Pro 23
Adams MB2, Steelfiber i95
Ping Gorge 52, Ping Glide 58
Ping Ketsch

+1 to the 20 year revelation. It only took me 2 years but if you don't close the face the ball is going to the rough regardless of it being an e6 or pro v1. Buy a ball that does well on the green because stopping it pin high is going to save a lot more strokes than a ball that's going to get you on a couple more fairways.

Just my .02. I liked the e6 but graduated to the 330rx and don't mind missing a few fairways bc I can count on the 330 to stop on the green and help me save par far more than the e6 or q-star.

I emailed Bridgestone and told them about my swing and how I like to hit the ball. I'm a fast swinger (105mph +) and that I'd like to have more control off the tee - that is, [b]minimize[/b] the big push to the left (lefty). They recommended the e6. I still haven't had the chance to play it, but I tried the ball in a simulator. It felt somewhat dead compared to the B330 I tried right afterwards. Do you think this is because the e6 is too low compression for my swing? I got a good 10 yards longer with the B330.

As for feel, the e6 feels soft off the putter face, but that's all I can really say at this point. There's still too much snow around.

Yeah they told me the same thing! So I bought them and wasn't impressed. Should I try the [size="2"]B330-RX??
[/size][quote name='jeffkriz' timestamp='1334823024' post='4750434']
I emailed Bridgestone and told them about my swing and how I like to hit the ball. I'm a fast swinger (105mph +) and that I'd like to have more control off the tee - that is, [b]minimize[/b] the big push to the left (lefty). They recommended the e6. I still haven't had the chance to play it, but I tried the ball in a simulator. It felt somewhat dead compared to the B330 I tried right afterwards. Do you think this is because the e6 is too low compression for my swing? I got a good 10 yards longer with the B330.

As for feel, the e6 feels soft off the putter face, but that's all I can really say at this point. There's still too much snow around.
[/quote]

[quote name='nikpharmd' timestamp='1334833369' post='4750596']
Yeah they told me the same thing! So I bought them and wasn't impressed. Should I try the [size="2"]B330-RX??
[/size][quote name='jeffkriz' timestamp='1334823024' post='4750434']

[/quote]
[/quote]

They told me if the e6's are TOO soft to try the B330-RX! haha. They're more expensive than I was hoping, but I'll take the e6's to the course and, who knows, I might be happy with them off the tee. If I'm not satisfied with the spin around the greens I'm going to order some MG Tour C4's. If you don't know them, they play like a ProV, but only cost $21. Check out MG's website. But I was trying to avoid too much spin, so now I'm just lost.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1334825414' post='4750456']
[quote name='CougarRed' timestamp='1334762417' post='4744910']
Polaris!
[/quote]

you wont be in the trees! you wont be in the weeds!

and if that testimonial isnt enough for you leonard carruthers, teaching pro R J Alvarez, and former pga tour player donnie hammond think its a grade a product as well!
[/quote]

If you're on a Polaris ATV you will most likely be in the woods, weeds or creek. If you are playing a Polara golf ball you will probably be in the fairway but still made fun of.

MP-650 9.5Β° Rogue Silver 70X
TEE CB Pro 15.5Β° D+ 82X
XCG7 Beta 19Β° NV 85X
Cleveland CG1 Tour 3-pw DG X200
588 DSG RTG 52Β°/58Β° DG S300
Guerin Tour Spec 35"
Z-Star XV gen. 1

[quote name='RW_Shankar' timestamp='1334754922' post='4744094']
Now, I buy balls based on short game performance, and work on my swing more. Its just the right thing to do.
[/quote]

I could not agree more. Been trying balls to straighten out my fade/slice and it would still fade/slide and then I'd get frustrated with the lack of control getting on the greens. Finally pulled out an old ProV1 and discovered that it really didn't spin off the driver any more and I had a lot more control on the green. Decided to work harder on my swing and not rely on the ball to do what is my responsibility and so far it's better overall.

Equipment will take you only so far, it's up to you and your swing to really do the job.

For about the price of a dozen game balls, you could always opt for a lesson from a pro. I am in no way criticizing your skill, but just saying even the best can sometimes fall into a bad habit (too weak a grip, driver weights need repositioned, shifting weight, alignment, stance, ball position etc) that we need to correct. Sometimes having a second set of eyes observing is all we need. Even the tour pros occasionally work with a trainer to help point these out.

Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

[quote name='nikpharmd' timestamp='1334746507' post='4743608']
Every time I go into Golfsmith and ask this question, they point me toward the Bridgestone e6. So, of course, I bought a box and tested them on the course. For me, the ball did appear to go pretty darn straight. However, I wasn't enamored with the ball and can't say that this is definitely my ball of choice. From my last post, I took the recommendation to buy a box of the Callaway HX Diablo Tour. So I will test those out next week. Is there any consensus out there on the best ball to help keep close to the fairway without sacrificing distance and still has a little spin on the greens with a nice putting feel?
[/quote]

1. Change the way you grip your club - if the club is in your palm when you hit, you are gonna slice. If the club slides to your palm, try those bionic grips, they'll keep the club in your fingers.

2. Use your hands - Practice hitting wedge shots with just your right hand. It works.

[quote name='nikpharmd' timestamp='1334746507' post='4743608']
[/quote]

No - there isn't.
If there really were such a ball, the queue to buy it would stretch from here to the tip of Alaska. If you can't keep the ball on the fairway, can't hold the greens, can't hit it at a reasonable distance - it's not the ball at fault. It's you. Get a ball you like the feel of when you putt and with a receptive enough cover to enhance the spin you put into it. And then play golf...

That's the real bottom-line point here. If an e6 slices out of play for you, no ball is going to stay in play with that swing. And if you want something that is noticeably more controllable around the greens it is going to slice even more than an e6, not less. All balls are a compromise between an impossible amount of spin vs. so rock hard it's unplayable. The best you can do is pick a point along the control vs. slice continuum and choose an excellent compromise ball like the e6 or HX Chrome