2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping eye 2 blue dot .5 in over can I cut?

will227457

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='will227457' timestamp='1342646139' post='5302000']
I play a blue dot and I got a set on the bay but I play standard legenth..... Can I just trim .5 in from the butt end and regrip?

I hit some balls and I can really tell with the .5 over so I need a shorter shaft
[/quote]

The SW will decrease approx. 3 points and the "effective" lie angle will be 1* flatter (toe down). The lie angle can be adjusted, but the SW change may be a bigger issue. Choke up 1/2" and hit balls to see if it's what you're looking for. If so, make the cut.

You can use lead tape in the cavity or stick lead powder and cork down the shaft.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Good info guys... Thx yes this set is .5 in over I am fit for blue dot standard legenth on my g15's and these are exactly a half inch longer I am about half way done with cutting and regripping the set I'll head to the range tomorrow and check it out, I think the ping eye 2's are d1 swing weight, my g15's are d0..... I don't think I'll notice the swing weight change if any....

[quote name='mac94' timestamp='1342669980' post='5305680']
I don't think that is accurate. Blue dot is a specific lie angle, let's say 57*.[b] Blue dot is 57* for that particular club no matter what the length is[/b]. If he was fit for blue dot at standard length, then cutting them a half inch isnt going to make it a black dot actual lie. It should fit fine.
[/quote]

The Ping lie angle specs are based on a [i]standard[/i] clublength. If the length is non-standard, Ping adjusts the lie angle accordingly. For a longer clublength than standard, for example, Ping will adjust the lie angle flatter. This means that a Black dot @ +1/2" has a flatter lie angle than a Black dot @ standard length. Ping has been doing it this way for years.

[quote name='mac94' timestamp='1342724171' post='5310068']
I hope they aren't making linger clubs flatter. They should be making them more upright. But if that is how they do, so be it. I'm not a ping guy.
[/quote]

They do, in fact, make longer clubs flatter so that the "effective" (playing) lie angle is the same. Making longer clubs more upright makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

[quote name='turnbowm' timestamp='1342724918' post='5310154']
I hope they aren't making linger clubs flatter. They should be making them more upright. But if that is how they do, so be it. I'm not a ping guy.
[/quote]

They do, in fact, make longer clubs flatter so that the "effective" (playing) lie angle is the same. Making longer clubs more upright makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
[/quote]

Well, Tutelman also disagrees with you.

http://www.tutelman.com/golf/design/lie2.php?ref=#lenlie

[quote name='mac94' timestamp='1342733418' post='5311098']
[quote name='turnbowm' timestamp='1342724918' post='5310154']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, Tutelman also disagrees with you.

[url="http://www.tutelman.com/golf/design/lie2.php?ref=#lenlie"]http://www.tutelman....php?ref=#lenlie[/url]
[/quote]

This is an excerpt from the Tutleman link...
[list]
[*][i][i]Every degree more upright needs 1/2" less length, and[/i][/i]
[*][i][i][b]Every degree flatter needs 1/2" more length[/b].[/i][/i][i]So our design rule is pretty simple. The industry-wide "rule of thumb" is that 1/2" of length trades with 1 degree of lie. That is, if you make a club 2 degrees more upright, you can make it 1" shorter and still fit the golfer that it fit originally.[/i]
[/list]
Why do you think that longer irons in a set have a flatter lie angle than the shorter irons?

I play a blue dot and I got a set on the bay but I play standard legenth..... Can I just trim .5 in from the butt end and regrip?

I hit some balls and I can really tell with the .5 over so I need a shorter shaft
[/quote]

Okay OP, you need to disregard some of the above info. Let me set this all straight.

[b]1st:[/b]

All PING standard iron lengths are 1/4" shorter than today's standard iron lengths. So, keep in mind that your irons are +1/4" over today's standard irons, not +1/2" over. But since you are fit for PING irons, then you will need to [u]trim 1/2" to get to the same length as your G15s[/u] because your G15s, even though standard length for PING, are 1/4" shorter than "regular" standard.

[b]2nd:[/b]

User "turnbowm" is right, a well-known standard in golf is that each 1/2" added to the shaft length = a 1* more UPRIGHT lie angle. So, user "bobdenver1961" is correct that shortening your irons 1/2" will result in a BLACK dot lie angle. "Mac94" is wrong that shortening the shafts won't change the lie angle and is also wrong that your Eye2 irons (at current length) are too flat for you. In fact, disregard literally everything that "Mac94" said. If you are fit for a blue dot lie and standard length then they would be too UPRIGHT for you right now at +1/2", rather than too flat.

"turnbowm" is also correct that you could adjust the lie angles. However, PING Eye2s, as you may know, are cast irons and will have a tendency to bend back to their original lie angle with regular play. You might have to get them readjusted every season. Keep in mind that cast irons can sometimes have a tendency to snap at the hosel when adjusting the lie angle, and this can be true, but since you are only adjusting them .75* you're probably okay to have them adjusted if you desire.

[b]3rd:[/b]

You are fit for PING G15 irons, which use the [i]new [/i]PING Dot system. The current Blue Dot lie angle is .75* upright. The Eye2s you just purchased use the [i]old [/i]PING Dot system where the Blue Dot lie angle is 1* upright (.25* more upright).

Here are the old and new PING Dot charts so you can see for yourself:

[b][u]OLD:[/u][/b]

[attachment=1265140:Original_ping_color_chart.gif]
[attachment=1265138:OldPingColorCode.jpg]

[b][u]NEW:[/u][/b]

[attachment=1265142:NewPingColorCodes.jpg]

So, if you want to achieve the exact same lie/length as your G15s then you need to:
a) Trim 1/2"
b) Have the lie angles checked for each club. Your Eye2s have been around awhile, and while they are cast clubs, they might be off.
c) Bend all lie angles to .75* UPRIGHT - This will probably be an annual process.
d) Hit each iron off a lie board and readjust any lie angles if changes are needed (most golfers need slight tweaks to certain irons, rather than having every single iron exactly at .75* upright, etc.)
e) Check/adjust swingweight (if you desire)

Tee Time! This is the most informative and easy to understand post I read in Golfwrx about Ping lie angle/lenght ever!
Which it helps some Ping lovers

[quote name='Tee Time!' timestamp='1342743213' post='5312032']

[/quote]

Okay OP, you need to disregard some of the above info. Let me set this all straight.

[b]1st:[/b]

All PING standard iron lengths are 1/4" shorter than today's standard iron lengths. So, keep in mind that your irons are +1/4" over today's standard irons, not +1/2" over. But since you are fit for PING irons, then you will need to [u]trim 1/2" to get to the same length as your G15s[/u] because your G15s, even though standard length for PING, are 1/4" shorter than "regular" standard.

[b]2nd:[/b]

User "turnbowm" is right, a well-known standard in golf is that each 1/2" added to the shaft length = a 1* more UPRIGHT lie angle. So, user "bobdenver1961" is correct that shortening your irons 1/2" will result in a BLACK dot lie angle. "Mac94" is wrong that shortening the shafts won't change the lie angle and is also wrong that your Eye2 irons (at current length) are too flat for you. In fact, disregard literally everything that "Mac94" said. If you are fit for a blue dot lie and standard length then they would be too UPRIGHT for you right now at +1/2", rather than too flat.

"turnbowm" is also correct that you could adjust the lie angles. However, PING Eye2s, as you may know, are cast irons and will have a tendency to bend back to their original lie angle with regular play. You might have to get them readjusted every season. Keep in mind that cast irons can sometimes have a tendency to snap at the hosel when adjusting the lie angle, and this can be true, but since you are only adjusting them .75* you're probably okay to have them adjusted if you desire.

[b]3rd:[/b]

You are fit for PING G15 irons, which use the [i]new [/i]PING Dot system. The current Blue Dot lie angle is .75* upright. The Eye2s you just purchased use the [i]old [/i]PING Dot system where the Blue Dot lie angle is 1* upright (.25* more upright).

Here are the old and new PING Dot charts so you can see for yourself:

[b][u]OLD:[/u][/b]

[attachment=1265140:Original_ping_color_chart.gif]
[attachment=1265138:OldPingColorCode.jpg]

[b][u]NEW:[/u][/b]

[attachment=1265142:NewPingColorCodes.jpg]

So, if you want to achieve the exact same lie/length as your G15s then you need to:
a) Trim 1/2"
b) Have the lie angles checked for each club. Your Eye2s have been around awhile, and while they are cast clubs, they might be off.
c) Bend all lie angles to .75* UPRIGHT - This will probably be an annual process.
d) Hit each iron off a lie board and readjust any lie angles if changes are needed (most golfers need slight tweaks to certain irons, rather than having every single iron exactly at .75* upright, etc.)
e) Check/adjust swingweight (if you desire)
[/quote]!

[quote]

This is an excerpt from the Tutleman link...

[list]
[*][i][i][b]Every degree flatter needs 1/2" more length[/b].[/i][/i][i]So our design rule is pretty simple. The industry-wide "rule of thumb" is that 1/2" of length trades with 1 degree of lie. That is, if you make a club 2 degrees more upright, you can make it 1" shorter and still fit the golfer that it fit originally.[/i]
[/list]
Why do you think that longer irons in a set have a flatter lie angle than the shorter irons?
[/quote]

Here is the excerpt from Tutelman that is pertinent:

Getting back to the question we posed at the start of this section. If the length test suggests one length and the lie test suggests another, what do we do? Now it should be pretty obvious:[list]
[*]Choose the length suggested by the length test. Let's call it 'L'.
[*]If the lie test suggests a length shorter than 'L', then 'L' was too upright. So use a flatter lie. How much flatter? One degree for each half inch of difference between 'L' and the proper-lie length.
[*]Co[b]nversely, if the lie test suggests a length longer than 'L', then 'L' was too flat. So use a more upright lie, again by one degree for each half inch of difference. [/b]
[/list]
In other words, if you lengthen the club, the club is now too flat so the lie must be made more upright, not flatter.

Changing the shaft length only changes the EFFECTIVE lie angle, not the ACTUAL lie angle. Big difference. In other words, if a club has a 57* lie angle, adding an inch to the shaft is not going to change the fact that is is still a 57* lie angle. What changes is the effective NEED for that lie angle. If you add an inch, you are probably going to need to move to a 59* lie (more up), hence the EFFECTIVE lie angle is changed.

[quote name='mac94' timestamp='1342752073' post='5313034']
[quote]

This is an excerpt from the Tutleman link...[list]
[/list]
[/quote]

Here is the excerpt from Tutelman that is pertinent:

Getting back to the question we posed at the start of this section. If the length test suggests one length and the lie test suggests another, what do we do? Now it should be pretty obvious:[list]
[*]Choose the length suggested by the length test. Let's call it 'L'.
[*]If the lie test suggests a length shorter than 'L', then 'L' was too upright. So use a flatter lie. How much flatter? One degree for each half inch of difference between 'L' and the proper-lie length.
[*]Co[b]nversely, if the lie test suggests a length longer than 'L', then 'L' was too flat. So use a more upright lie, again by one degree for each half inch of difference. [/b]
[/list]
In other words, if you lengthen the club, the club is now too flat so the lie must be made more upright, not flatter.
[/quote]

No no, you are misinterpreting this.

This is what the portion that you have in bold is [u]actually[/u] suggesting:

-Since we have already determined the correct length via the [i]length[/i] test we are, in this case, NOT going to change the length again even if the [i]lie[/i] test suggests to do so.
-Therefore, since we are not going to lengthen the length of the shaft again (since we have already determined the correct length via the [i]length [/i]test) we must use a more UPRIGHT lie to compensate (even though the [i]lie [/i]test is now suggesting we lengthen the shaft).

This is a well known standard in golf:
+1/2" shaft length = 1* upright lie. So, -1/2" shaft length = 1* flat lie.

Ok so I trimmed all the clubs .5 inch, put new grips on. They are the exact length of my g15's. So if I read correct they are now black dot, And I need to have the lie adjusted .75 to get back to my spec.

I hit them at the range this morning and they seemed great abouta half club shorter than the matching g15, (this is no surprise) I'll be going to golf smith tomorrow and have the swing weight and lie angle checked

Great info here thx all!!!

• 2 years later...

Will, that was a lot of blah blah blah. You're blue dots could've been extended 1/2" before you bought them so you cutting down 1/2" does not necessarily mean they are now black dot.
I've been tinkering for about a year now. I got professionally fitted, not by a golf warehouse either. I went from blue dot to red dot. I also added 1/4" to a red dot. After playing actual rounds with blue, black and red dots, and playing with a few diff lengths, I've dialed into red dot, +1/4", it's truly amazing.
Trial and error is REQUIRED. We have the luxury of Ebay to buy multiple sets. If it doesn't work, sell it back on Ebay.
I'm now breaking 80 consistently as a previous 12-14 handicap. With a red dot, I'm ripping the ball straight. Blue dot was too upright and caused left shots but according to the old Ping chart, I'm 1-2 upright. But my pro saw my swing and arm position and clearly recommended I go flat but add 1/4"...no joke, I'm playing the best golf of my life. Bc of flatter lie, I can power thru my swing without it going left. It goes straight.

Good luck.

[quote name='Joe9977' timestamp='1411994940' post='10204585']
Will, that was a lot of blah blah blah. You're blue dots could've been extended 1/2" before you bought them so you cutting down 1/2" does not necessarily mean they are now black dot.
I've been tinkering for about a year now. I got professionally fitted, not by a golf warehouse either. I went from blue dot to red dot. I also added 1/4" to a red dot. After playing actual rounds with blue, black and red dots, and playing with a few diff lengths, I've dialed into red dot, +1/4", it's truly amazing.
Trial and error is REQUIRED. We have the luxury of Ebay to buy multiple sets. If it doesn't work, sell it back on Ebay.
I'm now breaking 80 consistently as a previous 12-14 handicap. With a red dot, I'm ripping the ball straight. Blue dot was too upright and caused left shots but according to the old Ping chart, I'm 1-2 upright. But my pro saw my swing and arm position and clearly recommended I go flat but add 1/4"...no joke, I'm playing the best golf of my life. Bc of flatter lie, I can power thru my swing without it going left. It goes straight.

Good luck.
[/quote]

This is Golfwrx he has had 10 sets since he posted this in 2012. :telephone: