Three month project to get my game together

Hoping you guys can help me out
I have set a goal of getting my golf game in workable condition before summer. Ten years ago I really enjoyed golf. At my best I was playing bogey golf on all but the most difficult courses around. Shooting an 85 was a good round. I had a tendency to push/slice, which hurt my distance, but my short game made up for a lot of shots in the rough. Video showed me the problem areas and truth was there were flaws in my swing and I would never improve without making the necessary changes. Getting married and moving to an area that didn't offer access to driving ranges and courses reduced my playing time.

Two years ago I played in a team scramble and stunk it up. I decided I wasn't going to waste my time on the course until I got serious about the game. I thought you guys might be able to help. I have a job that frees me up by 4 pm M-F, so I have practice time. The nearest course/driving range is 45 minutes away, but I can use the school yard on weekends for short irons. I know lessons are the best plan, but word is that the pros nearby are good golfers, lousy teachers. Plus, my teaching salary doesn't leave too much for the ol' golf budget (you gotta like the hours though). I also would appreciate any tips on improving putting w/o a putting green if anyone has some. Thanks.

Oh yeah. I'm 5'11 and overweight by 30 lbs or so, but working on it. My equipment is modern and most clubs are fitted.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hello

I don't know what kind of response you will get, you could get a number of people offering you different ways to go as it appears you may be looking for a basic swing theory to try out and see if it works for you.

I'm going to introduce you to a book and swing theory that has for the first time in my life given me consistency in hitting my iron shots, especially my long irons. It also has improved my pitching and chipping 1000 percent and great for driving the ball too.

It is a swing that was developed by a player by the name of George Knudson who played on the tour in the 60's and 70's, mostly in the late 60's though. During the time he played he won 8 pga tournaments and came in 2nd in the Masters in 1969. Won alot of other tournaments in Canada, where he is from, and other countries.

Here is a quick link to short video about him.

http://www.histori.ca/minutes/minute.do?id=14255

What really makes him unusual is his swing method is totally different from anyone else's I have ever known, but it is unbelievable how this works and is very easy to do.

The power of the swing is controlled completely by your leg and body movement. The arms and hands are completely passive and only consciously do one thing, that is to hold onto the club.

The complete swing arc is generated by the centrifugal force created in a weight shift of the legs and body turn, in the backswing and downswing.

If you are to look at the link to the video I gave above, it would be impossible to detect this though, since it looks like someone swinging a club in a way you might expect to see.

Jack Nicklaus called George Knudson the man with the "million dollar swing". Other people said he looked more like Ben Hogan than Ben Hogan did himself.

The book George Knudson wrote is called "The Natural Golf Swing". It was published in 1988.

The book has a great personal story of his life and how over the years he gradually developed his swing ideas.

What is kind of amazing also is after he finally put together what he felt was the best swing he could from everything he had come to understand about golf, along with the laws of nature and physics related to the golf swing and had his greatest successes' in the late 60's, because of his family and having three young children, he left the tour.

He started teaching in Canada in the 70's and writing his book in the late 80's. Unfortuneately because of smoking he passed away in 1989, a year after his book came out.

Here is a link to his book on amazon were you can read the reviews of the people who got it.

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Golf-Swing-G...n/dp/0771045344

If you want to give this a try, I believe it could really help you out.

Ive got a great drill for putting for you at home.

Grab ur putter, do strokes up and down the skirten board with ur head up agaisnt the wall. This will A/ groove a great putting stroke B/ eyes will be perfectly over the ball because ur head is agaisnt the wall and C/ ur head will be still.

Actually that's incorrect. Your eyes should be 1 ball below exactly over the ball. I read it and saw it on tv. If your eyes are over the ball, you will tend to pull the putts.

Thank you all for your suggestions and will try my best to improve through using them.

Mikpga is absolutely right that goals must be defined and measureable to be attained. By June I would like my game to be consistently under triple digits and establish my handicap (honestly) at or below 20 by 6/1 and at or below 16 by 9/1. I know these are ambitious goals and will require practice and willingness to listen.

My more abstract goal, but no less important, is to have fun on the course. I want to approach golf seriously, but I also want to be able to laugh at my mistakes and then work on fixing them.

Thanks again.

Consistently under triple digits, now we have something to measure!

1. A swing motion which will keep the ball in play a high percentage of the time.

2. An increasing ability to average 36 putts or less.

You may want to play a couple of 9 hole 'rounds' with just your 7 iron, wedge, and putter and examine the results...See what you can learn from this experience...

You say you have that schoolyard? Take full advantage of that. Get a 5 gallon plastic bucket and a dozen old balls. Use a pw and whatever above it you have for pitch shots. Vary trajectories with the clubs. Hit some high and soft and some lower and running. You will be missing a whole lot more greens than you are hitting, pitching and chipping will be the difference between bogies and triples.