Vertical cutting greens

Not sure to put this thread but here goes.

A course I play on has vertical cut the greens 3 weeks ago... since then the greens are spongey and terrible and havent almost died in some areas.

All other golf courses I have played on have only ever aerated their greens and within a feww weeks they are as good as new.

Just wondering if anyone has their course do this procedure.

For those who dont know like myself until I saw it.... it is basically a machine that goes over the green and cuts lines around half an inch apart vertically in the green... as in through the surface....

Comments

• HoldTheLagHoldTheLag The greatest pleasure is obtained by improving. Members Posts: 354
    I've only seen stuff like that done to really parched fairways (along with aeration). Can't imagine it being done to greens!
  • mwkbmwmwkbmw Play. Fast. North CarolinaMembers Posts: 2,486 ✭✭
    They did it at my course. Now I have to read contours, holes and furrows. Kind of like the grooves they cut in the pavement.
    Ping i25 9* Tour Stiff
    Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
    Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
    Ping i25 5-UW
    Scotty Cameron Notchback
    Ping Tour Gorge 54 & 58
  • PedronNiallPedronNiall Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭
    Definitely something that remains noticeable after the fact:

v-cut-green.jpg
  • teejaywhyteejaywhy Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon Members Posts: 7,168 ✭✭
    It's done (typically on Bermuda greens) to remove thatch buildup. Allows moisture to get down to the root zone and while temporarily annoying, should result in better/healthier greens.
  • mwkbmwmwkbmw Play. Fast. North CarolinaMembers Posts: 2,486 ✭✭
    teejaywhy wrote:

It's done (typically on Bermuda greens) to remove thatch buildup. Allows moisture to get down to the root zone and while temporarily annoying, should result in better/healthier greens.

Our are bentgrass. They do it every year, though, and doesn't seem to cause any harm other than temporary inconvenience. Greens are usually good here.
    Ping i25 9* Tour Stiff
    Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
    Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
    Ping i25 5-UW
    Scotty Cameron Notchback
    Ping Tour Gorge 54 & 58
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462 Members Posts: 5,332 ✭✭
    We used to verticut our greens every year and it worked. They were bermuda. Now that we've switched to bent - no more verticuting. It was a mess for a week to ten days. But it definately helped things out.
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,431 ✭✭
    Joey76 wrote:

Not sure to put this thread but here goes.

A course I play on has vertical cut the greens 3 weeks ago... since then the greens are spongey and terrible and havent almost died in some areas.

All other golf courses I have played on have only ever aerated their greens and within a feww weeks they are as good as new.

Just wondering if anyone has their course do this procedure.

For those who dont know like myself until I saw it.... it is basically a machine that goes over the green and cuts lines around half an inch apart vertically in the green... as in through the surface....

Vertically cutting greens or thatching improves the surface; but using it depends on subsurface conditions, turf itself, and overall goal for the greens.
    • Titleist TS2 9.5, Project X6C12 Tour Issue
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Blueboard 83 x5ct,"S"
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, KBS C-Taper Tour
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, KBS C-Taper Tour
    • SM6 F-52*, KBS Tour "S+"
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1

• midwestonmidweston I should have taken up fishing.... Members Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I verticut greens for a summer, made them a lot quicker. We didn't cut them as deep as the picture above.

It was great for getting the thatch out.
  • Mic PhilkelsonMic Philkelson Members Posts: 28
    Greens should be mowed and followed up with a light top dressing and watered in a bit. Mow and roll them the next day. If done correctly greens should be back to normal in 2-3 days. On bent or POA greens anyway.
  • BNich0622BNich0622 Members Posts: 4,244
    They do this to the greens at the club where I work. It gets rid of thatch gets air and moisture to roots hopefully resulting in healthier and stronger greens. Its a necessary evil if you will. Should be done, but should be good once things heal. Just like aerating.
    G400 9* Motore Speeder 7.2 TS
    G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
    G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
    iBlade 3-9 Nippon Modus 3 105x
    Glide 2.0 STEALTH 46*, 52* 58*
    Ping Vault 2.0 ZB