Titleist 915 D3 vs Mizuno JPX 850

johnnyoneone ·  
johnnyoneonejohnnyoneone Members  9WRX Points: 0Handicap: 9Posts: 9
I recently got custom fitted for a driver. With my old driver (Taylormade Burner 2.0 which I do not like) the regular shaft was far too whippy and my spin rate was up around 4000. I tried out a few drivers and it was narrowed down to the Titleist 915 D3, Mizuno JPX 850 and Ping G30. My spin rate was a little low with the Ping G30 and I did like the larger 460cc head as much so that was next to be eliminated.

It was then between the Titleist 915 D3 and Mizuno JPX 850 but the problem is I am split right down the middle. They are both lovely clubs and I really like the smaller 440cc heads. My natural shot shape is a draw but I am a feel player and definitely want the option to shape the ball any way I like and I feel like the smaller heads enable me to do so.

Getting into detail there was something about the Mizuno compared to the Titleist. I felt it was a really nice club (especially with that blue colour!) and it just seemed to sit in behind the ball so sweetly. Before going to the fitting I had had an idea in my mind of what I wanted and I was leaning towards the 915 but after seeing and hitting the Mizuno it has put me in a dilemma. Do I go for the trusty and reliable Titleist 915 D3 which is gauranteed results or do I take a risk and go for the new Mizuno JPX 850 with a relatively small reputation in the driver range?

I would really appreciate your advice on what driver I should go for especially if you have used both.

My specs for the drivers are:

Titleist 915 D3 - 10.5 deg

Al setting

Adila Rogue 60 - 3.4 - Stiff

Mizuno JPX 850 - 10.5 deg

Weights in slot 1 & 2

Fujikura Orochi 60g - Stiff
Posted:
Tagged:

Comments

• fujiman.757fujiman.757 Members  2986WRX Points: 146Handicap: 4Posts: 2,986 Titanium Tees
    Stay with what works buddy in my opinion
    Posted:
    M1 440 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi white 65 05 flex
    915f 15* Oban Kiyoshi white 75 05 flex
    915h 19* Oban devotion 85 05 flex
    Srixon 745 4-pw Nippon modus 120x
    Titleist vokey sm5 TVD 50* dynamic gold tour issue s400
    Bettinardi 54* and 60* s200 dynamic gold
    Scotty Cameron limited button back 2008 edition
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • SetTheBarrHighSetTheBarrHigh DallasClubWRX  3956WRX Points: 198Posts: 3,956 ClubWRX
    I was in the same situation a month or so ago. I was getting very similar numbers with both suprisingly, but I did prefer the stock shaft in the Mizuno (Motore). The Mizuno also has a ton of adjustability to tinker with. I'm pretty happy with it so far, and as far as feel is concerned, I prefer the sound at impact of the Mizuno. I stil mess around with other alternatives when I go in the store though, mainly a Ping G30 LS.

Like you said, the Titleist does have a good reputation, but it's still not a guarantee that it will work for you.
    Posted:

• golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Northern CaliforniaMembers  2386WRX Points: 427Handicap: 2.0Posts: 2,386 Platinum Tees
    In a similar circumstance, I take a couple of weeks and see which one I'm still thinking about. Usually one will separate itself.

The Mizuno is getting almost universally good reviews; while there may not be a ton of them out there, I don't think I would ever consider it a risky purchase.

Your location says Ireland, so I might give the nod to the one I carry the longest. Having spent a summer in Ireland, I don't remember anything ever drying out enough to worry about how much roll you might get.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour Red Sightline
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1 
  • soflasofla Members  1700WRX Points: 128Posts: 1,700 Platinum Tees
    Mizuno also has the Speeder stock shaft
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3
    Titleist TS2 16.5
    Srixon H85 19 & 22
    Titleist T200 5-GW
    Titleist SM6 54 & 60
    Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2
  • Jaywh2Jaywh2 Members  902WRX Points: 79Handicap: +1Posts: 902 Golden Tee
    Hit the 815 alpha before you pick either of those.
    Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik SZ 10.5* Diamana DF 60
    Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* Diamana ZF 70
    Titleist 919 H1 Atmos Blue 85
    Mizuno MP 20 MMC AMT Tour Issue S400
    Mizuno T20 Wedges 50/54/58 AMT Tour Issue S400
    Cameron Flowback 5
  • mortimermortimer Members  354WRX Points: 73Handicap: 2Posts: 354 Greens
    Only problem with Mizuno in Europe is the stock shaft. It is not the Fuji motore speeder but the Orochi. Other than that I'd go with the JPX
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash 9 Hzdous Smoke 65 
    Titleist 917F2 15 EvenFlow Blue 75
    Titleist 818H1 19 Rogue Max 85
    Titleist AP3 4i Oban CT 115
    Srixon Z585 5i / Z785 6-PW Project X LZ steel
    Cleveland CBX2 50 / 588RTX2.0 Precision Forged 56 
    Vokey SM7 60 M Grind
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Back up: Mizuno MP25 5-6i / MP5 7-PW KBS Tour

Advertisement
  • johnnyoneonejohnnyoneone Members  9WRX Points: 0Handicap: 9Posts: 9

I was in the same situation a month or so ago. I was getting very similar numbers with both suprisingly, but I did prefer the stock shaft in the Mizuno (Motore). The Mizuno also has a ton of adjustability to tinker with. I'm pretty happy with it so far, and as far as feel is concerned, I prefer the sound at impact of the Mizuno. I stil mess around with other alternatives when I go in the store though, mainly a Ping G30 LS.

Like you said, the Titleist does have a good reputation, but it's still not a guarantee that it will work for you.

Right now I'm leaning towards the JPX for the same reason you gave. I prefer the strike I get from it and like looking down on it. I don't really have the option to 'mess around' with other drivers as I want this to be a long-term club so I am trying to find out as much about the clubs as possible and try and make the right decision.

But one thing bugs me and that is the lack of JPXs on Tour. Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't noticed any players using it apart from Luke Donald (strong Mizuno sponsorship) and even he changed it (I think!)
    Posted:
    mortimer wrote:

Only problem with Mizuno in Europe is the stock shaft. It is not the Fuji motore speeder but the Orochi. Other than that I'd go with the JPX

What's wrong with the Orochi?
    Posted:
  • SetTheBarrHighSetTheBarrHigh DallasClubWRX  3956WRX Points: 198Posts: 3,956 ClubWRX

Right now I'm leaning towards the JPX for the same reason you gave. I prefer the strike I get from it and like looking down on it.

But one thing bugs me and that is the lack of JPXs on Tour. Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't noticed any players using it apart from Luke Donald (strong Mizuno sponsorship) and even he changed it (I think!)

There aren't many in play, mainly due to the lack of Mizuno contracts on tour. Chris Wood won with his this weekend.
    Posted:

Right now I'm leaning towards the JPX for the same reason you gave. I prefer the strike I get from it and like looking down on it.

There aren't many in play, mainly due to the lack of Mizuno contracts on tour. Chris Wood won with his this weekend.

Could be a sign! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

How are you hitting yours? Do you regret not going for the D3 or is it too soon to tell?
    Posted:

Could be a sign! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

How are you hitting yours? Do you regret not going for the D3 or is it too soon to tell?

I've only gotten two rounds with it, we've been kind of flooded here in Texas. I do like it so far, but I do have a safety net of a 90 Day Playabilty Guarantee if I don't like it. I don't see it happening though.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • bwcorseratbwcorserat Members  214WRX Points: 35Handicap: 2.6Posts: 214 Fairways
    I can't compare the JPX against the titlelist because I didn't hit the 915 D3 but I will say after playing the JPX for around 3 months now I absolutely love it.
    Posted:
    Mizuno JPX 850 driver
    Mizuno JPX 850 3 wood
    MP H5 3 & 4 iron
    MP 64 5-PW
    MP T5 wedges 52, 56, 60
    Jar It Putters - Square 1 ST
  • wam78wam78 Members  757WRX Points: 242Handicap: NAPosts: 757 Golden Tee
    go with your gut and what feels like a natural fit. don't worry about what's on tour because your swing is your swing. sounds like you want someone to talk you out of the jpx. i say rock it if you want it. it's more about your game and what you are comfortable with and what gets results. the jpx driver is a **** of a club.

just my thoughts...
    Posted:
    Ts3 8.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2 
    Ts3 15* Diamana S+ LTD Blueboard 70s tipped .5"
    U500 2 Iron Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
    Bridgestone Tour B JGR h2 4i Modus 120s 
    Bridgestone Tour B X-CB 5-pw Modus 120s
    SM8 Raw 50F, 54S bent to 53, 58S Modus 125 Wedge
    Toulon Las Vegas  KBS CT Tour Matte, Iomic I-Classic Mid Black 
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • mortimermortimer Members  354WRX Points: 73Handicap: 2Posts: 354 Greens

mortimer wrote:

What's wrong with the Orochi?

Nothing wrong with the orochi if it works for you but i t is clearly in a different league than motore or other stock shafts from other OEMs
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash 9 Hzdous Smoke 65 
    Titleist 917F2 15 EvenFlow Blue 75
    Titleist 818H1 19 Rogue Max 85
    Titleist AP3 4i Oban CT 115
    Srixon Z585 5i / Z785 6-PW Project X LZ steel
    Cleveland CBX2 50 / 588RTX2.0 Precision Forged 56 
    Vokey SM7 60 M Grind
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Back up: Mizuno MP25 5-6i / MP5 7-PW KBS Tour
  • TMelectricTMelectric When in doubt, buy both Members  3277WRX Points: 36Handicap: UpPosts: 3,277 Bunkers
    I have had both drivers and for me, the 850 was the clear winner. Different feel, sound, and flight. When my swing is on, the 850 is the longest driver I ahve hit . Plus, up until recently, I hit more fairways with the 850.
    Posted:
    Mizuno JPX 900 driver
    Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
    Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
    Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
    Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
    Mizuno MP A303 putter
  • jumpalotjumpalot Members  154WRX Points: 68Posts: 154 Fairways
    Been playing the 850 for about 5 rounds now. It's as long on mishits as anything else I've played the last few years. But, when I catch one solid, it's way longer. Played with a buddy in a scramble on Friday who is very similar to me off the tee. When he flushed one and I missed by just a fraction they were within 5 yards of each other. When we both flushed them I was 10-15 yds ahead. I've played with the setting some. Best for me seems to be having the weights in the heel and toe. I also get overall longer drives when I set it at 8.5*, but I need more carry so I play it at 9.5. Either driver would be a good choice though.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.