Callaway X Tour 460

Callaway Golf is proud to introduce the new X460® Driver -- The X460 Driver, in both standard and Tour models, will be available at Edwin Watts Golf for $299.99 March 1. The MSRP is $375. You can also check out the new Callaway X Tour Fairway Woods here.

At 460cc, the new Callaway X460 Tour drivers are the largest allowable under the Rules of Golf. They combine a new CT/VFT face, a distinctly designed and patented Consistent Alignment Sole and proven and patented Callaway Golf technologies.

Extensive testing at the Callaway Golf Test Center in Carlsbad, California, show the X460 and X460 Tour to be the longest conforming all-titanium drivers Callaway Golf has ever made.

The new CT/VFT face, the Company's next-generation patented Variable Face Thickness (VFT®) Technology, takes ball speed to the edge of the legal limit as defined by the United States Golf Association's Characteristic Time (CT) test. The X460's titanium face is robotically plasma-welded to the body, utilizing a precision manufacturing process. This ensures face thickness is controlled to tight tolerances for robust performance over a larger face area. Result: more distance, more often.

Another key feature of the Callaway X460 Tour Driver is its distinctively designed "Consistent Alignment Sole." At address, the subtle keels of the soleplate rest on the turf for ease in aiming the club face and stabilizing the club head. And the unique configuration of the X460's larger face area -- more than 10 percent larger than the Big Bertha® Titanium 454 Driver -- allowed Callaway Golf engineers to move even more weight to resist twisting from heel to toe and from sole to crown. This delivers a more consistent trajectory and more accuracy off the tee.

Finally, the X460 Tour Driver features two other core Callaway Golf technologies that have helped make the Company's drivers the choice of golfers of all skill levels for years: S2H2® (short, straight, hollow hosel) the breakthrough design that dramatically shortens the traditional hosel length, allowing weight to be moved lower and to the perimeter of the clubhead for significantly greater forgiveness; and Tru-Bore® bore-through construction, which improves feel and control by extending the shaft completely through the hosel and clubhead to the sole.

Tour versions of the X460 Driver come in half-degree lofts to distinguish them from the standard models. In addition to a square face, the X460 Tour Driver features a slightly modified center of gravity position to produce trajectories generally preferred by better players.

The new Callaway Golf X460 Driver is available in lofts of 9 degrees, 10 degrees, 11 degrees, and HT (High Trajectory) and comes standard with a Fujikura® 64-gram graphite shaft in Light, Regular and Stiff flexes. The X460 Tour version comes in 8.5-degree, 9.5-degree and 10.5-degree lofts with a Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 shaft in Regular, Stiff and Extra Stiff flexes. Left-handed versions of the X460 Driver are available in the 9-degree and 10-degree lofts. The left-handed X460 Tour Driver is available in the 8.5-degree and 9.5-degree lofts.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've hit the 9,5 tour with fujikura tour platform stiff shaft:

-Looks are beautiful and inspiring

-Headshape is just right

-Setup is just right

-Great balans, a little heavy in the head, just the way I like it

-Sound is like a classic rifle shot and will turn some heads on the range

-Ballflight had a boring trajectory

-Shaft was too whippy for me and felt like a standard Callaway shaft, performance suffered because off the shaft and the balls kept going right, but distance was alright.

-Headcover was either a little too flashy or too trashy for me with the big shiny X

-Pricetag is interesting if you care about price

I've ordered one with an Aldila NV stiff shaft (my favorite) and I will place an update after I hit this one.

• 2 weeks later...

-Headshape is just right

-Setup is just right

-Shaft was too whippy for me and felt like a standard Callaway shaft, performance suffered because off the shaft and the balls kept going right, but distance was alright.

-Headcover was either a little too flashy or too trashy for me with the big shiny X

I've ordered one with an Aldila NV stiff shaft (my favorite) and I will place an update after I hit this one.

I must agree with Ben Stroot on this review. I demoed both the non tour version with stock fuji and the NV. I went with the NV stiff. This club is the first Callaway club that I've purchased. I was surprised by how well I quickly took to this club.

The look, balance and feel of this driver is very good. The driver sets up easy with the new sole design. The headshape is nice, especially at address. Nothing to distract you from hitting it hard. Ball flight is a boring trajectory, so I went with a 10*. Got the X-460 out to the range today, and hit it side by side with my Cleveland Launcher 400 8.5* also with an NV stiff shaft. The non tour version does have the closed face, and I hit a few hooks with it, but considering it was my first time to a range with it, it wasn't bad (I normally fight a slice anyways).

Distance: I would say the X-460 was right there with the launcher 400, and maybe a few yards longer. Considering they were range balls in cold weather, I thought it did well. I'm interested in seeing how it performs with a low spin ball like a NXT Tour, or ProV1X.

Sound: I heard these drivers were supposed to be somewhat loud. It's nowhere near the high pitched sound my old Cobra SZ 460 driver made, and I think it has a better sound than the FT-3. Overall, I think it does have a nice sound, especially when hit well.

Forgiveness: The 460cc driver delivers forgiveness. Shots that were more towards the toe didn't suffer too much distance loss. As with any driver, forgiveness only goes so far.

Headcover: While the color scheme and design is nice, I'm more concerned about the lack of padding for the crown of the club, when the cover is put on. There's not much protection there, like other OEM's have for their drivers. I'll be getting a new headcover for it.

Overall: A keeper (for now). Looking forward to to hitting it some more.

-Headshape is just right

-Setup is just right

Well guys, I've hit this driver with an Aldila NV65 stiff and a Fujikura TP x stiff.

The TP X was a lot better for me and I didn't hit it all over the place anymore. It still felt a little bit too soft for me deu to the mid kickpoint and my timing with this shaft was a little off.

The NV65 felt good to me but that's probably because I'm playing with this shaft for the 2,5 years now. I had the feeling I've hit the ball a little better with this one. It went a little straigther then the TP X and a little lower. I'm probably going to put this driver in the bag with an Aldila NV 75 Stiff, that would be perfect for me (little heavier and therefore a little more stiff and better control).

• 4 weeks later...

I really like the club, I do agree the sound could be better, but I'm in the fairway, longer than my MP001 too. the looks are perfect, of which I note that the game is mostly between the ears. I preferred the 2* close to the X tour for added ability to keep me in the fairway, I need all the help I can get. I picked up the club off ebay and fine that the price is dropping from the $200 I paid about three weeks ago. I tossed the head cover and use my rocket socks to match the bag and "image." I liked the club so much bought the 13* X tour too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried the X460 tour 9.5 w/ stiff Fuji 26.3 stck shaft at a large demo day and was pleasantly surprised. It was pretty forgiving, medium high, and pretty straight. My SS is 103 to 107 and I'm more of a hitter than a swinger. Don't know how far it carried, I'g guess most were 250 t0 260 with an occasional 280, but it was as among the longest for me and I could hit it consistently.

Tried the tour in diff lofts, the std X460. and the FT-3, but preferred the above. Hit it further than the FT-3, but I think that was because I swing smoother with a higher swing weight and the X460 is listed at D3 vs D2 for the FT3.

Also, Tried just about every other new driver and 2 others I liked were the Cleveland Hi-bore and TM's R460. The Hi-bore was the straightest of all and in my opinion could also be the longest, but takes more fitting and experimenting with lofts, shafts, and T height. About half of my drives with the Hi-bore were as long as the X460 tour, but the other half were still straight, but low line drives with less carry.

Bottom line for me... I'm in the market for a new driver and will select either the X460 tour or the hi-bore after more fitting.

Bluebear

• 1 month later...

905T was not cutting it. Was spending more time in "time out" than in the bag. Tried the X460 Tour 10.5 w/Fuji Tour Platform against the SQ Tour w/NV65 against the R7 425 w/stock TM "S" shaft. Probably some apples to oranges, but the X460 is in the bag. Played 27 holes over the weekend and am quite pleased with the choice. Long, consistent.. point and shoot. Realize the honeymoon period with any new club. However, was quite glad with the early results.

I feel a lot of my positive feedback comes from the Tour Platform shaft. Have never been a fan of the NV. Have tried in a number of drivers and have never found the consistency I desired. The NV was what was giving me grief with the 905T. The 905 was never as consistent as the 983K that preceeded it with the Titleist Speeder. I just like the feel of the Fuji shafts.

Some have talked about the sound of the X460. Yes, it is a unique sound. But, with a new driver in the bag I was putting for birdie on 3 or the 4 par 5's Saturday. Seemed to be a fairway finder. It's been a long time since this ol' man has had so much fun with a driver!!

Both the X460 and the SQ are great drivers. Try to demo, demo, demo. The X460 w/Fuji just seemed to suit me better. Good luck with you search for a new big stick!

• 1 month later...

I tried a 9.5 degree X460 Tour with the stock Fujikura Platform 26.3 S-Flex. Aestheitcs are nice. Typical Callaway look but the colour is nice and it has a square face angle. The one thing that stood out for me is distance. This is incredibly long, possibly longer than the FT-3. However the sound was loud which was the only complaint I had.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

• 4 months later...

I ended up with the X460 Tour. I put in an Accuflex VS 339 X shaft because of its high bend point. The stock Fuji 26.3 that the club I bought had in it, hit it a tad too high. The test range club I used had a high kick point Fuji (black) in it.

When making this decsion, I tested the following others at an outdoor range over a two day period:

In order of preference:

Taylor Made R5 Dual N - very nice but not as long

Cleveland Comp 460 - close but not as long

Callaway Fusion FT-3 Tour - not as long

Taylor Made R7 425/425 TP - what's all the fuss about

Mizuno MX-500 - not as long

Taylor Made r7 460 tp - surprisingly, not as good as the 425

Cleaveland Hi Bore - hit it way too high

Nike Sasquatch Driver Tour - not only did it not work for me, I nearly turned to stone when looking at it.

In the end, the high kick point shaft did the trick. The ball flight is under the radar, long and straight.

Without a word of a lie, when done testing, I was ready to pack up when a guy next to me on the range threw some more balls my way and asked me to hit a few more. He said he really liked how the ball seemed to go on forever with the X460 and so did I.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up a X460 8.5 with a stiff blue board shaft. I can't wait to see the results. I usually play x-flex shafts in all my clubs, but for some reason my launch monitor numbers came out better with the stiff shaft. Must be the bore thru design. Isn't it true that since the shaft is farther in the head it plays stiffer, as if the shaft was tipped 1 to 2 inches?

• 5 weeks later...

Bought this driver in 10.5 with the stiff 26.3 shaft from callawayoutlet.com. Have played it enough to get a good feel for it. I like it. Distance is good. I have no idea what my ss is. Ground is wet, temp in the low 50's and I'm carrying 210-230, (measured with gps to pitchmark) which is good for me. I can set up square with it and the ball goes straight more often than right or left. The face is advertised as being square, however it looks just a little bit closed at address. A guess would be less than .5 degrees. Definately less than the FT-3 this replaces.

I really can't think of anything more I could want from a driver/shaft combo.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

• 4 weeks later...

Went to a Golfsmith Sale looking to buy a 905R at their sale price of $199. Hit it on the LM and it had way too much spin for me so I tried the Cally x-460 and the spin was much better and the club a lot more forgiving. I left there with the tour version w/9.5* of loft. (Same sale price). Nice, lower, boring trajectory with the Aldila NV shaft than my Cobra pro D (even thought the NV was a stiff shaft vs. and x in the Pro D (VS Proto w/higher trajectory) although it was too dark to see how far each was going at the range. I'll follow up with those results. I also have an 80x in the pro D on order so I'll compare it with that one also when I get it. Overall I'm liking the Cally x-460 tour's flight, hopefully that translates into more distance and no balloons. Getting rid of the ribbed stock grip though if I keep the shaft in it.

This club was a total disaster for me. Of course it has been pointed out that my version of disaster may not be the same as others.

The club just does not look good to me.

It does not feel good, even on sweet spot shots.

And sounds like it should be in a Sci-Fi movie.

Needless to say, less than 10 rounds and traded in for the Titleist 905 R reported in previous posts.

• 1 year later...

8.5* X460 Tour w/ X fuji 26.3 platform shaft

Loud as hell, straight down the middle, worked it every way possible.

Head cover is sharp

Not a forgiving club, built for speed.

Kept me company while my Rapture was in the shop.

Lovely!!!

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D2.5) 18GF, 8GB 45"

(testing) Diamana PD 60TX (D5) 16GF, 5GB 45.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

T20 50.07, T24 54.08D, T20 60.06, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34"  Callaway Tour X

• 7 years later...

Great club that I still use to this day!! My SS is 115+ and the ball rockets off the face. The feedback is very good and you know exactly where you hit the ball every time. I have the Aldila NV 65 Stiff cut to 44.75" and it feels great off the face. Perhaps I should've gotten the X, but I hit the S just fine. It's as long as any new 2016 Driver I've hit, though not quite as forgiving.

I will say I've liked a couple of the new Drivers in terms of feel throughout the swing a bit more, so it may be time to upgrade. But I will always have it at my disposal!

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4