Oversize vs. Midsize vs. Regular......grips

nobreak1970 ·  
nobreak1970nobreak1970 Members  586WRX Points: 0Posts: 586
Please explain some differences of purpose here.
Can someone explain what the different uses are for each? Do they pertain to certain stroke styles? Just for control and feel? or more? I recently put a TigerShark blue Midsize grip on my Ping Karsten Anser2...it feels great...but I was wondering what the technical purpose(s) of all the sizes means to the average(or even above average) player.

thanks.
Posted:

Comments

• PuttingDoctorPuttingDoctor The Putting Doctor Members  2119WRX Points: 1Posts: 2,119 Platinum Tees
    Good question NoBreak. Grip size and texture is all about feel and comfort. In the therapeutic sense a bigger grip can also be of benefit if the golfer has a tendency to break down, i.e. the left wrist bending in the stroke.

If it feels right and your stroke is not breaking down.... it's the right grip for you.
    Posted:
    Glen Coombe
    The Putting Doctor “Retired!”
    Level 3 SAM PuttLab Instructor
    Carribean Represemtative SAM Sports
    Creator of Perfection Platforms
    Http://puttingdoctor.net
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • KMeloneyKMeloney Members  5025WRX Points: 309Handicap:[email protected] 7Posts: 5,025 Titanium Tees
    I think that larger grips are also supposed to promote lighter grip pressure (a larger grip promotes more contact area across the hands and fingers). Also, like larger grips on irons, a larger putter grip can make it more difficult to subconsciously open/close the putter face.

I'm thinking of putting a midsize on my Spider...
    Posted:
  • nobreak1970nobreak1970 Members  586WRX Points: 0Posts: 586
    I've acutally got to make a correction on my first post:

I put a TigerShark Jumbo "Ultratac" blue grip on my anser 2. Solid grip btw. I guess when the pro shop guy was comparing it to the super jumbo grip he just labeled it a midsize...but regardless I like it.

It was either this or was going to(and may still) put a black "crazy cameron" on it instead. Call it a reverse Tiger.

Peace.
    Posted:
  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Members  3506WRX Points: 169Posts: 3,506 Titanium Tees
    BigLite - very comfortable and it's lite. I like this much better than the SuperStroke. Bigger grip take the hand out of the stroke. I find I grip with less pressure and I am achieving the pendulum swing that I am after. Mind you, you can screw up just a bad with the arms.

The only issue I have is with the lack of immediate feedback to the palm like a normal grip has, it's kinda dead and soft with the biglite due to the foam that they use to, obviously, pad it out. The harder and heavier superstroke has got this feedback but I find on superfast greens, the lighter Biglite is supreme for speed control.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Honma 737 18* 5 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

Taylormade P790 4-PW, Dynamic Gold 105 S300 with ProSoft inserts, Pure Wrap grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" (Presse IV tweaked) Putter with BGT Stability shaft

Ball: Srixon XV, 2019 Taylormade TP-5x
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.