Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Golf course charges fee for using your own pull cart

124»

Comments

• KMeloneyKMeloney Members Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@caniac6 said:
    The semi private club where I belong hired a management company last fall. They wanted to charge all members a walking fee. I play almost every day, monday-friday. If they had done that, I would have quit, and joined a private club. I understand the need to generate income, but courses need to do it in a way where the members don't feel like they are being nickled and dimes.

Wait... A charge to all members, whether they walk or not? Or a charge to all members who (when they) walk?

• caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@KMeloney said:

@caniac6 said:
    The semi private club where I belong hired a management company last fall. They wanted to charge all members a walking fee. I play almost every day, monday-friday. If they had done that, I would have quit, and joined a private club. I understand the need to generate income, but courses need to do it in a way where the members don't feel like they are being nickled and dimes.

Wait... A charge to all members, whether they walk or not? Or a charge to all members who (when they) walk?

When they walk.

• ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,846 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@macedan said:

@North Butte said:

@Bonneville85308 said:
    The last club I belonged to charged something like $15 to use one of their pull carts for 18 holes, and you could not bring your own even if it was a gold-plated Clicgear. They also charged something similar ($10?) as a "trail fee" to carry your own bag before 2pm. Riding cart was $27-$30ish. The non-mandatory caddie program fizzed out for lack of interest/use probably 5-6 years ago. The only way you could play for "free" was to carry your own bag after 2pm in-season or anytime in the offseason when it's 35 degrees out.
    After looking at these fees and similar nickel-and-dime ones the club had, I got the sense that they wanted to keep dues low because they had a lot of members who paid full golf membership dues but played very little. There were probably 75+ members paying the highest category of dues but who played 15 times or less per year. By charging everyone else who actually played often basically every time they went out one way or another, the people who paid dues but hardly used the club would be less inclined to quit. I. e. someone who played 12 times per year might have a monthly bill of $500, but the guy who played 3x a week and rode or took a push cart was going to have a bill of $900. They may have figured the guy who played 12 times might quit if the cart costs were baked into the dues and his bill was $800+. And they perhaps liked having members who paid dues but didn't show up. Just a theory.

I think you've got the reasons behind it just about sussed out.

Regardless of how they describe it, the $10 is equivalent to a greens fee. That makes the push-cart rental $5 and the riding cart rental $17-$20, both of those are in line with what public courses charge for push-carts and power carts.

They just can't dare to describe the $10 as a green fee at a private course so they obfuscate the terminology.

The retired guys at my club who play 5-6x a week and ride in cart must have staggering monthly bills. I think our cart rentals are $20 per round so at 20 rounds a month that's $400 just for the carts. Plus dues and food and so forth. Expensive game.

P.S. I still suspect that the original poster's situation may involve some form of a "trail fee" or "greens fee" when carrying your bag without using a push cart. That would make his $15 number make a little more sense.

Just so I'm understanding this correctly, while members at a private club they are still paying for cart usage every round??? This is just so absurd to me as our club your dues cover unlimited play/pool/voting privileges, for an extra $70ish/month that includes cart usage, or you can bring your own and store it in the sheds for a similar monthly fee.

Where are you located?

WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file