adding 6 or 7 swingweight points.

judoguy888 ·  
judoguy888judoguy888 Members  308WRX Points: 0Posts: 308
getting irons from c0 to d1
if i am not mistaken the swingweight scale is based on a letter number combo. in each letter category it goes eg:c0 c1 c2 c3 c4 d0 d1 d2 d3 d4 e0.....

my question is can i get my newly assembled clubs (for dad) to d1 or d2 from c0? i dont want to have to buy a second set of brand new shafts to sneak up on the number using tip trimming by small amounts, but would if i have to. Anyone tell me how much weight is possible to add? i dont want lead tape on brand new irons, so i thing tungsten and tips weights are the route id take. is this possible to add 6-7 swingweights to a set of clubs?

any help appreciated, these are a gift for my dad and would like to finish the build by the 21st for our early christmas celebration. the clubs are fully assembled now but i can take apart to get to desired weight if that weight is possible.

kenny
Posted:

Comments

• chickenpotpiechickenpotpie #TeamJetSpeed Members  8538WRX Points: 151Handicap: 5.5Posts: 8,538 Titanium Tees
    Actually there's more increments there than you think. It's a 10 pt scale per letter, so D0-D9, E0-E9, etc. Two grams at the head is roughly one swingweight point. So it will take approximately 22-24 grams to move from C0 to D1-D2. The other option is to lengthen the shafts, but that has other consequences related to whether your dad needs a longer club. Going one inch longer gives you about 6 swingweight points. May I ask how you have a set that's built at C0? That's more of a junior set weight range.
    Posted:
    Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013
    WITB Link
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • highergr0undhighergr0und Members  10271WRX Points: 306Posts: 10,271 Titanium Tees
    C0 would need to pretty much have some of the shortest shafts possible... What kind of shaft and heads are they? First, I would have the swingweight evaluated again.
    Posted:
  • The BeagleThe Beagle That's right - T-Rex in a cowboy hat Unregistered  185WRX Points: 0Posts: 185
    So far as swingweight and swingweighting goes, here are some useful tables:

Posted:
  • mac94mac94 Banned  6321WRX Points: 1Posts: 6,321 BST Banned
    C0 SW is extremely low. What length are they? It is almost so low I'd question the accuracy of the measurement.
    Posted:
  • BCCBCC Whatever works !!! Members  1771WRX Points: 113Handicap: 4Posts: 1,771 Platinum Tees
    Definately agree with above posts
    something is not right !! What clubs are these ?

If the C 0 is correct, adding 1/2" and 6 gr tip weights will get you to about C 6, possibly pick that up to C 8 by using the very lightest grip you can find--Winn I think has a new one @ 30 gr or something like that.
    Posted:
    Titleist 913 D2 8.5* Rogue 70 S
    Titleist 915 16.5* Whiteboard 80 X
    Titleist 915 19* Whiteboard 90 S, 24* Whiteboard 100X
     AP2 716 KBS Tour S 1x SS SM7 Black 50* KBS
    SM7 Black 54/14 KBS,  SM7 58/12 KBS
    KP1 Carbon ---Cally Chrome Soft 2018
    TM TP5X
  • elv434elv434 Members  68WRX Points: 55Posts: 68 Bunkers
    If You Know That They're C0 , Why Do You NOT

Know That They Are 1.5" Short? image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • judoguy888judoguy888 Members  308WRX Points: 0Posts: 308
    hey guys sorry to leave you hanging on this one, i was busy at work and finishing this set. the heads were G2 heads from golfsmith, the players cavity type. All the headweights when shipped to me where at least 3 grams light of what they told me they were sending. Also i have dynalite unitized .370 shafts and heres the kicker to this whole situation. the grips i put on them are lamkin crossline tour oversized. my dad needs grips like this for his big arthritic hands. the grips weighed in at an astonishing 76 grams per grip give or take a gram. the iron's shafts are inch short of standard even though he is 5ft 10in, he has gorilla arms that are a wrist to floor of 31.5inches. anything else i would appreciate the help on this one guys. i have him the clubs as i said i would to him yesterday, but still would like to know how to get more headweight which would equal more swingweight with the parts i already have. thanks guys
    Posted:
  • BCCBCC Whatever works !!! Members  1771WRX Points: 113Handicap: 4Posts: 1,771 Platinum Tees
    That's a pretty unsolvable issue given the -1", heavy grip combo. Tip weights and lead tape could give you maybe 3 sw, but I would not put more than 6-7 gr there or risk changing the COG. Sounds like he'll need to get used to a lighter club !
    Posted:
    Titleist 913 D2 8.5* Rogue 70 S
    Titleist 915 16.5* Whiteboard 80 X
    Titleist 915 19* Whiteboard 90 S, 24* Whiteboard 100X
     AP2 716 KBS Tour S 1x SS SM7 Black 50* KBS
    SM7 Black 54/14 KBS,  SM7 58/12 KBS
    KP1 Carbon ---Cally Chrome Soft 2018
    TM TP5X
  • mat562mat562 My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly. Members  10969WRX Points: 199Posts: 10,969 Titanium Tees
    Crikey.

Reading your father's requirements it's pretty much inevitable that you're going to have to accept some compromises in the build.

I'd echo the above advice to utilise both the weight ports and some large tip weights to get something around 20g of extra weight into the heads. With that much extra weight you'll get the irons up to somewhere around a conventional swingweight. The only caveat with that method is that there'll be a lot of extra mass in the heel; possibly enough to make an appreciable difference to the way that the clubs feel or perform and enough to put you squarely into the territory where the shaft flex and performance is affected when the clubs are swung.

Unfortunately, with the specs that you're describing, there's no easy way to get to D1 or D2 without major surgery.
    Posted:
  • highergr0undhighergr0und Members  10271WRX Points: 306Posts: 10,271 Titanium Tees
    Did you already assemble the clubs? Big lite jumbo grips (biglitegrips.com) are only 50g each... That would bring it way up...
    Posted:
    If the biggest problem with SW is caused by heavy grips, then I would just ignore it. Weight at the grip end only tricks the SW scale into thinking the SW is lower. It really has no effect on what SW really measures - i.e. fine tuning flex. MOI shows almost no effect because of heavier grips. IMO and many other, SW should always be measured with a 52g grip, no matter what grip you actually use.

If you end up adding weight to get the SW up all you'll end up with is a VERY heavy club.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on

Advertisement
  • lasklask Members  79WRX Points: 0Posts: 79
    agree 100%. The SW scale is not the end all be all that many make it out to be. Changing the grip weight is essentially tricking the scale. i can make a sledgehammer sw @ d2 but the total weight is so out of whack nobody could play it. To properly fit a player the relation of Sw and total weight must remain within reason to the player's ability
    Posted:
    BCC wrote on Dec 22 2009, 09:56 AM:
    That's a pretty unsolvable issue given the -1", heavy grip combo. Tip weights and lead tape could give you maybe 3 sw, but I would not put more than 6-7 gr there or risk changing the COG. Sounds like he'll need to get used to a lighter club !

he has big hands and long arms basically and prefers to have a heavier head to feel it in his swing. i know this is a long shot to fix this without new shafts but we are going to myrtle beach in 6 days so i dont think i have enough time to order receive and blueprint another set.

stage1350 wrote on Dec 22 2009, 10:24 AM:
    If you are prepared to disassemble them, Golfsmith has a weight port in the hosel that can accept up to 10g of tungsten. Add another 10g in tip weight, and you will be closer to your goal.

i have already tried this and although it would be closer to the goal, i guess i would either like to leave as it is or get my goal weight, or im just tearing the irons up to get mediocre results. thanks for the tip though as this is a good idea.

See if you can find some lighter oversized grips.

highergr0und wrote on Dec 22 2009, 10:51 AM:
    Did you already assemble the clubs? Big lite jumbo grips (biglitegrips.com) are only 50g each... That would bring it way up...

have you tried these grips? interesting idea but im wondering if they might be thinner than normal because how else do they get them so light? if they feel good im more than willing to try this out.
    Posted:
    hey thanks for the replies about swingweight not being so big a deal if its the grip thats heavy, thats a good thing to know, but id still like to try to get to his goal weight, as both him and i are perfectionistsblack%20eye.gif
    Posted:
    Not a matter of being a perfectionist. Trying to get the SW "right" by adding a ton of headweight to counterbalance a heavy grip is not getting it right. It is only making a very heavy club. You are getting what amounts to a false SW measure.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.