taking care of your shoes

what do you with your shoes after a round
basically what the title says, got some new spikes and figure i should at least to take care of them a little bit. i remember meticulously taking care of my soccer spikes back in the day and wondered if people still do it today, thanks for the help.

Comments

• mljones99mljones99 Members Posts: 1,842 ✭✭
    After a round I take them off, clean off the spikes, stuff them in my shoe bag, and when I get home I put them in the closet with my clubs. Everyonce in a while I will wipe them down with a damp cloth but that is about it. I don't get my shoes that dirty during a round. If I get some mud on them during a round, I wipe it off then, not later when it has hardened.
  • Big D McGeeBig D McGee GET FLYERED UP!!! Members Posts: 1,194
    edited Aug 16, 2006 #3
    Run 'em through the spike cleaner thing at the course, bang 'em together in the parking lot to get anything the brush cleaner didn't get off, then stick 'em in my leather shoe bag and leave them in the cargo area of my SUV. Occasionally I spray some Odor Eaters spray in there, to prevent FUNKY FEET syndrome. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':help:' />

IMHO, dirty shoes are a sign you play often, and care more about your game than your apparel. Too-clean shoes look funny, again just my opinion.
  • AsleepAsleep Marshals Posts: 9,056 mod
    edited Aug 16, 2006 #4
    Shoe trees go in my Classics Tours as soon as I take them off....every time. Really extends the life of the shoes and keeps them looking good.

Big D McGee wrote on Aug 16 2006, 10:37 AM:
    ...IMHO, dirty shoes are a sign you play often, and care more about your game than your apparel. Too-clean shoes look funny, again just my opinion.
    Hmmm....would that apply to your underwear as well? image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':help:' />
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font]
  • wwpack7wwpack7 Members Posts: 24
    guess i'm just too lazy to take care of mine. bang them off, maybe towel off damp grass and throw them in the locker.
  • Big D McGeeBig D McGee GET FLYERED UP!!! Members Posts: 1,194
    Asleep wrote on Aug 16 2006, 11:39 AM:

Shoe trees go in my Classics Tours as soon as I take them off....every time. Really extends the life of the shoes and keeps them looking good.

Big D McGee wrote on Aug 16 2006, 10:37 AM:
    ...IMHO, dirty shoes are a sign you play often, and care more about your game than your apparel. Too-clean shoes look funny, again just my opinion.
    Hmmm....would that apply to your underwear as well? image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':help:' />

No, that means you're dirty and foul. Tell me, does your underwear get crusty after 3-4 days? image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />
  • krs1pittkrs1pitt Members Posts: 147
    just like to take care of my stuff, is there something wrong with that?
  • mljones99mljones99 Members Posts: 1,842 ✭✭
    Big D McGee wrote on Aug 16 2006, 11:37 AM:

IMHO, dirty shoes are a sign you play often, and care more about your game than your apparel. Too-clean shoes look funny, again just my opinion.

So a couple years ago when I played 3-4 times a week, I wasn't "really" playing because I kept my shoes clean? God forbid I try to take care of my stuff image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':help:' />
  • Throw them in the boot, covered in what ever **** they've picked up during the round!!!!!
  • MOJO14MOJO14 Posts: 259
    When I take them off I clean any grass out of the spikes an wipe them down with a towel. When I get home I take them out of the trunk and I open up the laces so the shoes can breath. Usually keep them in the closet or in the garage when not playing. Most of the time it is the garage.
  • rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB) Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭
    krs1pitt wrote on Aug 16 2006, 10:47 AM:

basically what the title says, got some new spikes and figure i should at least to take care of them a little bit. i remember meticulously taking care of my soccer spikes back in the day and wondered if people still do it today, thanks for the help.

I clean the exterior surfaces with Simple Green and brush any grass out of the seams. Polish once a month. Works fine for four pair of shoes.
    Cobra F8+ 10.5*, Mitsubishi Grand Bassara 39 R

Cobra F8 3-4 wood 15.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 R

Ping G400 hybrids 19*, 22*, Alta 70 R

Cobra F7 5-GW, R flex steel
    Ping Glide 1.0 55*, CFS Wedge flex

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58*, Alta 70 R

Ping Zing 2 TR 34", Rosemark grip
  • mizunomizuno Members Posts: 457
    I am one of those who also likes to take care of my equipment. I will usually clean the spikes, wipe them down with a damp towel and put shoe trees in at the end of the round. Every other month or so I will clean them with a brush and saddle soap and apply a light coat of polish. I got one pair that is several years old and still have a lot of life left in them.

You wouldn't leave dirt caked in the grooves of your clubs so why wouldn't you take a little bit of time and effort to care for the rest of your equipment!
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 10.5*
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 16*
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
    Mizuno MP32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey 52*, 56*, 60*
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
  • dpriesterdpriester Members Posts: 138
    Clean the spikes

Wipe them off

Put in the shoe trees

You do these three things and you won't be replacing your shoes nearly as often unless you are a shoe ho which is anopther story. I disagree with one of the previous posts that dirty shoes show you care more about your game than how you look. How would you like to see that same philosophy in an airline?
  • AUDufferAUDuffer ClubWRX Posts: 2,914 ClubWRX
    dpriester wrote on Aug 17 2006, 11:27 AM:
    Clean the spikes

Wipe them off

Put in the shoe trees

You do these three things and you won't be replacing your shoes nearly as often unless you are a shoe ho which is anopther story. I disagree with one of the previous posts that dirty shoes show you care more about your game than how you look. How would you like to see that same philosophy in an airline?

Exactly right. We have compressed air at our clubhouse, which is nice just because you don't get water all over the place and it's less effort than running a brush through the spikes. Shoe trees are huge and you have to make sure they're made of wood--cedar is nicest because it keeps the smell off/down...
    10.5° PXG 0811LX Project X HC Evenflow 75X<br />15° PXG 0341 Fujikura 2.0 7X<br />19° PXG 0317 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S<br />4-6 Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi Oban CT-115 S-<br />7-9 Mizuno MP-18 MMC Oban CT-115 S-<br />Artisan Golf 46/50/54/58 Oban CT-115 S-<br />Artisan Golf 0117 x 2 (Night and Day)
  • BritinAzBritinAz Members Posts: 170
    clean them off, stuff with paper to absorb any moisture. when dry install cedar shoe trees. Apply light coat of wax......cared for all my shoes like this from young age....grandad was a teacher of good practice:)
  • Come off course, blast the grass off with the air guns, a quick wipe with my towel then stick them in my shoe bag, chuck them in the boot of the car.