Has the NFL lost its edge?

highergr0und

I understand the concern for players to some extent, but it just feels like the game is getting boring to watch. The defense basically has to wait until a player gets the ball and gives them the thumbs up to tackle them, every play ends with guys doing the throw the flag wave for some reason or another, and refs are throwing them constantly........

So are you guys still enjoying it as much? I'm not turning it off out of disgust because it's still football, it's just not as fun

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think Football is at a point where it can no longer continue as is. I know it's tremendously popular right now, and will stay that way for a few years for sure. But downfalls take time. Players are too big and fast and their equipment too lethal. 270lbs players running 4.5's and hitting you in the head can literally kill you, if not now then 15 years from now. It's really sad because you're going to see more retired players pass away very young, and the aftermath of what that does to their families. You are going to see more research come out. You are going to see junior programs shut down, high school programs shut down, parents refuse to let their kids play (this is already happening).

The game is trying to tiptoe around this right now. Calling penalties, "protecting" players. It's a joke. Without significant changes i think Football will soon pass it's tipping point towards a fate similar to boxing.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Some of the penalites have gotten ridiculous and it seems that the officials will throw the flag and err on the side of caution as opposed to not throwing it. The game evolves over time, and usually is for the better. I think the bottome line is they mean well with the changing of the game, but it sometimes can ruin parts of the game. That being said, I really dont see the NFL following boxings decline, or see the level of interest in peewee and hs, college football fall either. Its too ingrained in our society and is too popular. Kids/parents know that it is a collision sport and the risk of injury is there and potential long term effects can linger.

While scoring a million points is cool and all, if you want to see an old school brand of football, watch the NFC West. The Niners, Cardinals and Seahawks all have elite, lights out defenses that hit hard and get after the quarterback (the Rams arent too far off either). Being a 49er fan, watching the defense is almost more entertaining than watching the offense at some times. Another team to watch is the Texans.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

What's the first thing you hear when you start pop Warner when you are a kid?

Don't lead with the helmet. Hell, it's on the warning sticker on the helmet, that part about "do not use the helmet to butt, ram, spear."

What does everyone in the nfl do?

Leads with the helmet.

I don't think it's too soft, I think the way guys are playing is making the game more dangerous, and until you address the issue of hits to the head and by the head it's going to get worse and worse. It's a risky game,

protecting players is fine. i'd like to see more of it, really. there's a way to play the game that isn't dangerous to people's health. and don't forget that we only see the obvious injuries--not the ones that linger long-term.

what i'd like to see LESS of is this awful offense-only football. A DB can't do crap now without a 15-yard penalty being thrown. pass interference in the end zone is stupid. if he was on the 1 yard line, it would be a 15-yard penalty. since he's in the end zone, here's a 40-yard penalty. and we'll put it on the 1 yard line to virtually ensure that your opponent scores, regardless of whether he really would have or not. if i were a coach in the NFL, i'd tell all my wideouts to run directly and intentionally into DBs to get a PI call. But, defense doesn't sell tickets....

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1349659721' post='5763525']
Some of the penalites have gotten ridiculous and it seems that the officials will throw the flag and err on the side of caution as opposed to not throwing it. The game evolves over time, and usually is for the better. I think the bottome line is they mean well with the changing of the game, but it sometimes can ruin parts of the game. That being said, I really dont see the NFL following boxings decline, or see the level of interest in peewee and hs, college football fall either. Its too ingrained in our society and is too popular. Kids/parents know that it is a collision sport and the risk of injury is there and potential long term effects can linger.

While scoring a million points is cool and all, if you want to see an old school brand of football, watch the NFC West. The Niners, Cardinals and Seahawks all have elite, lights out defenses that hit hard and get after the quarterback (the Rams arent too far off either). Being a 49er fan, watching the defense is almost more entertaining than watching the offense at some times. Another team to watch is the Texans.
[/quote]

It's a bit short sighted to say it's too popular to fail. A lot of sports have been extremely popular and fallen off. Baseball used to be the national pastime, Boxing main events used to the talk of the town. If you live in Texas or the Southeast i'm sure the amount of football being played hasn't decreased. But i am positive the talent pool overall for football will decrease considerably in the next 20yrs. A lot of schools and junior programs (at least in northeast canada) ARE dropping football. And just wait to see how parents will react once more solid data comes out regarding head trauma. I know a lot of people who absolutely will not let their kids play football and you just didn't see that even 10 years ago.

i know it's hard to envision because of how popular it is now. But if you have kids....i mean...the next few years you're going to see more data and more retired players sadly pass. It's going to be tough to ignore

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1349722217' post='5766291']
What's the first thing you hear when you start pop Warner when you are a kid?

Don't lead with the helmet. Hell, it's on the warning sticker on the helmet, that part about "do not use the helmet to butt, ram, spear."

What does everyone in the nfl do?

Leads with the helmet.

I don't think it's too soft, I think the way guys are playing is making the game more dangerous, and until you address the issue of hits to the head and by the head it's going to get worse and worse. It's a risky game,
[/quote]
+1000

I completely baffles me why these players continue to lead with their head. Apparently threats of brain damage and paralysis don't enter into their decision making. To hear people say they are just used to hitting that way is beyond me too. Do these guys drive their heads into their mothers' chins when they give them a hug?

Injuries aside, it's against the rules and most of the time, you will receive a penalty for it. So why would a player knowingly commit a foul that would cost his team? No one runs around trying to be a bad a$$ pulling on guys' facemasks. That hurts too.

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1349728389' post='5766845']
protecting players is fine. i'd like to see more of it, really. there's a way to play the game that isn't dangerous to people's health. and don't forget that we only see the obvious injuries--not the ones that linger long-term.

what i'd like to see LESS of is this awful offense-only football. A DB can't do crap now without a 15-yard penalty being thrown. pass interference in the end zone is stupid. if he was on the 1 yard line, it would be a 15-yard penalty. since he's in the end zone, here's a 40-yard penalty. and we'll put it on the 1 yard line to virtually ensure that your opponent scores, regardless of whether he really would have or not. if i were a coach in the NFL, i'd tell all my wideouts to run directly and intentionally into DBs to get a PI call. But, defense doesn't sell tickets....
[/quote]

The endless flags were the back part of my post..... I mean every single incomplete pass ends with the receive waving his arm around looking for a flag.

my grandpa played football in the 30s with leather helmets. he has said for the last 20 years that if they eliminate the helmets and excessive pads, safety will return.

Rugby has been around for a lot longer than the NFL. Maybe the lack of padding is a reason? I would like to see long term studies on the health of rugby players, to see if it's similar to the NFL health issues we're seeing.

Just thinking about the Jim McMahon story makes me really feel for those guys.

If the NFL really cared, they wouldn't let a guy like RGIII return this week after a concussion. Look what happened to Sidney Crosby. He had a minor concussion, played again too fast, and ended up getting injured really badly.

I like the idea of rolling back the pads, but guys would die on the field before the game slowed down. One thing that blows my mind is that there is equipment out there that's safer that guys don't wear because it doesn't look cool. Same with actually wearing a helmet that fits and doesn't fly off every few plays.....

And I do feel for the guys like McMahon that have terrible long term effects

Take away the helmets and force the guys to learn how to tackle again. It's amazing that so many guys just can't tackle. Nobody wraps up anymore.

And you know who gets hurt as often as not on those big hits? The defender who lead with his head.

I'm all for big hits and guys getting de-cleated but it seems like someone is going to have to die on the field before the players figure out how dumb it is to lead with your brain box.

Cobra King F6+, Matrix Black Tie 65M4
Callaway X Utility Prototype 21*, Project X PXI 6.0
Adams XTD 3-PW, KBS C Taper 90
Scratch 8620 D/S 50*, 56*, 60*, TrueTemper Dynamic Gold S300
Bettinardi SS15
Srixon Q Star Tour

FOOTBALL!

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z U85 18 Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z FORGED 3-9 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 46 Steelfiber i110 S