Inconsistency

clwehring

I didn't know which forum to post this under. So, I decided on this one. Today, I played another round of golf. I shot a 105. I know, pretty bad. I shot a 58 on the front 9 and a 47 on the back nine. I had 34 putts on the round, only 12 of them on the back nine. I was trying to see if somebody could help me with my consistency. I was hitting nice drives down the middle, but I've lost like 15 yards lately. I just cannot seem to get any power on the ball to hit any GIRs. I did not have one GIR all round, but I had 3 pars. Thank you for your help.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='mikpga' timestamp='1363058276' post='6594351']
How many Greens do you think or want to hit?
[/quote]

I want to hit at least four to start out with. That's my current goal. I feel like it would help improve my score by a lot because relying on my short game hole after hole gets exhausting and leads to me scoring higher.

[quote name='cstav' timestamp='1363058665' post='6594399']
Go get some lessons and practice, play then practice some more.
[/quote]

I've always wanted to get lessons, but at the same time, I don't want to lose my natural swing. I don't want to have to go to lesson after lesson with somebody completely redoing my swing.

[quote name='mikpga' timestamp='1363623310' post='6636057']
[sup]Perhaps set a goal of hitting all the greens in regulation plus one stroke...If you take this approach it can take some unwarranted pressure off your game...If you achieve this goal and two putt every green, then you will have shot 18 over par...[/sup]
[/quote]
I really like this idea! I'll definitely have to try this! Thanks

I really like Mic's idea for someone shooting 105. I hope you will give it a real try and then report back. Bogey golf would give you a 90. Those other 15 strokes are coming from somewhere and since you hit the fairway its from one bad shot from the fairway followed by another. Eliminate that as Mic suggests and you will eliminate to 105s.

Steve

Yes, lower your expectation. Your par should be a bogey. Bogey is not a bad thing a bogey should be good thing for you. So stop counting pars and start counting bogeys. I'm a Hcp 14 (play a little bit better) and I'm only counting par's and I dislike to play a bogey. This is the wrong attitude. Pretty quick and you hate playing a bogey maybe due to a 3 putt. The anger about a bogey will probably ruin the next tee shot.

Always stay positive. I have played many rounds with really bad front 9's. But I always knew it's possible for me to play the back 9 in par. What I did a couple times.

[color=#d3d3d3][size=1]One day, when I'm grown up, I will have my own club champion-scratch golfer-plastered with pics of my new car-thread. This would be awesome![/size][/color]

Why are you missing greens? If your drivers are all playable the only way I can see to be missing all the greens is to be playing too long of a course. If you are always pulling 5w,hybrid or 5 iron, you need to move up to tee boxes where half your iron shots are 6 iron or higher.

[quote name='clwehring' timestamp='1363058059' post='6594323']
I didn't know which forum to post this under. So, I decided on this one. Today, I played another round of golf. I shot a 105. I know, pretty bad. I shot a 58 on the front 9 and a 47 on the back nine. I had 34 putts on the round, only 12 of them on the back nine. I was trying to see if somebody could help me with my consistency. I was hitting nice drives down the middle, but I've lost like 15 yards lately. I just cannot seem to get any power on the ball to hit any GIRs. I did not have one GIR all round, but I had 3 pars. Thank you for your help.
[/quote]

[/quote]

You need to work hard on setting up consistency.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

[quote name='JustTheTips' timestamp='1363644594' post='6638931']
Why are you missing greens? If your drivers are all playable the only way I can see to be missing all the greens is to be playing too long of a course. If you are always pulling 5w,hybrid or 5 iron, you need to move up to tee boxes where half your iron shots are 6 iron or higher.

[/quote]
[/quote]

I'm missing the greens because I never take enough club basically. That or I make really bad contact. I never have this problem on the range. It's just on the course. I pull a PW or 9 iron most of the time. The course isn't too long. I just get so antsy over the ball.

I really like your ideas about knowing my skill level or lowering my expectations. I guess most other sports have come easy to me. So, I get frustrated when I do not play well. I think I just try way too hard to play amazing. I just really need to work on my ball striking. My short game and putting actually help me save a lot of strokes out there. I'll definitely keep y'all posted on my improvement. I plan on going again this week or the next. It's not easy to golf as a poor college student.

Do you hit at least a small bucket at the range before your round? I ask because your back 9 was so much better then your front 9. When I was shooting like that all the time I made a conscious effort to "warm up" and get a feel for my swing before a round and i went from regular 105-110 to regular 95-100.

Also, course management. Regardless of how long you are, if youre driving it in the fairway and taking 2 putts/hole you should really be scoring 90. If you can't reach in two from the shortest tees then play to comfortable club distances from the tee. For example, you have a 400 yd par 4, take three 135 yd shots and two putt. Its extreme, but will work for scores while you work on longer clubs or distance.
Laugh if you will, but before I figured out any consistency for my long clubs, I've played 6000 yd course with nothing higher then 6i and shot low 90s.

$0.02

Nick

Comfort brings trust, trust brings consistency, consistency drops indexes.

[quote name='nikuk' timestamp='1363648428' post='6639399']
Do you hit at least a small bucket at the range before your round? I ask because your back 9 was so much better then your front 9. When I was shooting like that all the time I made a conscious effort to "warm up" and get a feel for my swing before a round and i went from regular 105-110 to regular 95-100.

Also, course management. Regardless of how long you are, if youre driving it in the fairway and taking 2 putts/hole you should really be scoring 90. If you can't reach in two from the shortest tees then play to comfortable club distances from the tee. For example, you have a 400 yd par 4, take three 135 yd shots and two putt. Its extreme, but will work for scores while you work on longer clubs or distance.
Laugh if you will, but before I figured out any consistency for my long clubs, I've played 6000 yd course with nothing higher then 6i and shot low 90s.

$0.02

Nick
[/quote]

I actually started doing that on the back nine, to be honest. Rather than pulling a 7 iron which I was shanking really bad, I started pulling my PW or GW. I think that's why my score dropped dramatically. To answer your first question, i do not warm up with a small bucket of balls. I know I should. I just never have. I'll definitely will try that next time.

• 1 month later...

To update y'all, I went and played today. I played from the White tees, which is a lot farther than I'm used to, and I shot a 110. I was pretty pleased with this. We were in a big hurry to finish on time. So, I didn't get to warm up. I was having the same problem in respect to being a club too short. I was usually pulling a 7 iron after a solid drive. I think I am improving. I wasn't losing as many drives way right like normal. I had a lesson, and he told me I was set up too far right. So, I feel like I'm improving a lot. My putting was letting me down today, but the greens were atrocious on some holes making it impossible to putt. Thanks guys!

[quote name='Joey76' timestamp='1366845979' post='6911445']
My consistency issues arise from palyiong superbly well one day and getting over confident the next day...

I "try" and hot the ball harder as it all seemed so easy the other day instead of just taking 10 to 20 yards off the driver and get the swing rythm back.
[/quote]

I totally agree with you! I was overswinging with every club on the first 3 holes. Then, I started hitting my driver well. Eventually by hole 5, I had my swing rhythm down. So, I think my main problem is not warming up before I start my round. I was nailing really good shots from hole 13 and on. I just didn't have the time. I just have a tendency to take too much off my swing and can't hit the ball a decent distance off the tee.