Packers Vs. Cowboys (Spoiler Alert)

billyhandsomeface

[quote name='dogfather526' timestamp='1387253379' post='8311093']
My unsolicited thoughts.

1. Most QBs put in the situations Romo has would fail miserably. Not to mention, he is the reason a lot of the time that they're even in the tight games.

2. Jesus Manning (along with half the QBs in the league) would have been sacked on the one play that resulted in an interception, alleviating him from liability.

3. There isn't a team in the league that wouldn't give their left one to have Dez Bryant suit up for them.

4. If I have to see the Tony Romo's Turnovers ad one more time, I'm going to come unglued. Do people realize he's only thrown 9 INTS in 14 games, better than 2/3 of the league including the afore mentioned Jesus Manning. And don't even get me started about his "clutch" brother Eli.

5. When a team that's ahead 23 points, averaging over 7 yards per rush in a first half only runs the ball 7 times in the second half, they deserve to lose. Same goes for a defense that allows 34 second half points to a team that hasn't scored more than 26 in a game for the last 6 weeks.

The problem as I see it is lack of leadership and management from the head coaching position. There is very little of either. A 14 year old playing Madden has better game management than Jason Garrett.
[/quote]
you are right he does keep them in close games....but his interceptions always seem to come up at the worst possible time, near the end of the games

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dogfather526' timestamp='1387341186' post='8316501']
[quote name='F171615' timestamp='1387318861' post='8314647']
[quote name='dogfather526' timestamp='1387253379' post='8311093']
My unsolicited thoughts.

1. Most QBs put in the situations Romo has would fail miserably. Not to mention, he is the reason a lot of the time that they're even in the tight games.

2. Jesus Manning (along with half the QBs in the league) would have been sacked on the one play that resulted in an interception, alleviating him from liability.

3. There isn't a team in the league that wouldn't give their left one to have Dez Bryant suit up for them.

4. If I have to see the Tony Romo's Turnovers ad one more time, I'm going to come unglued. Do people realize he's only thrown 9 INTS in 14 games, better than 2/3 of the league including the afore mentioned Jesus Manning. And don't even get me started about his "clutch" brother Eli.

5. When a team that's ahead 23 points, averaging over 7 yards per rush in a first half only runs the ball 7 times in the second half, they deserve to lose. Same goes for a defense that allows 34 second half points to a team that hasn't scored more than 26 in a game for the last 6 weeks.

The problem as I see it is lack of leadership and management from the head coaching position. There is very little of either. A 14 year old playing Madden has better game management than Jason Garrett.
[/quote]

I love people who don't know a thing of what they're talking about act like they're experts. Based on your comments I can tell that you're certainly [b]not involved with any team[/b], or know much about the nuances of football on the professional level when it comes to play calling and game situations. I'm no expert either, but there's a few things I should point out to you regarding your comments above.

For point 2, when saying that Manning would have been sacked on that play - that's entirely wrong. First of all, Manning would be aware of that defender rushing off the edge, and the blocking scheme that was called; therefore knowing that if he decided to go all hero in that situation, (throwing a pass that ended up being an int. instead of the intended run play that was called) that he would need to contend with that rusher, or make some change in order to deal with him.
For point 5, do you realize that the defense Romo was playing against was [b]selling out to stop the run[/b] in the 2nd half. Do you know many run plays were actually called, and then later changed by Romo like the play you reference in point 2? You can't make a baseless statement like this without any sort of [b]credible evidence[/b] to what you say.
[/quote]

I don't understand what you mean by "not involved with any team".

When I said Manning would have been sacked, I simply meant that he would not have the physical agility to escape the free rusher.

How would anyone know the defense was selling out to stop the run in the second half, there were only 7 running plays.

In his post game press conference, Garrett referenced the last INT was a run play changed to a pass, but then later it was stated, by Garrett, that it was a run/pass option that always would be changed to a pass in that situation. Wasn't that actually your counter point to my play calling complaint? (This is also more evidence of Garrett's lack of leadership, passing blame)

What kind of "credible evidence" could any of us actually have?

My main frustration is simply that the true cause of the Cowboys' recent implosions are not due to the play of Romo alone, rather the record setting poor performance by the defense, and poor game management & leadership by Jason Garrett.
[/quote]

First, Manning would not get sacked on that play - b/c he's smart enough to know what blocking assignments there are on a given play, then not check to a throw instead of the run when it puts him in the position to escape an unblocked edge rusher. Being a great QB is not all physical ability. Someone who's physically gifted but makes stupid decisions (ie Romo on this play) will not perform as well as someone without the physical talents but makes the right decisions.
All plays that are called by the coach have multiple options to them. That one call on that INT was not the first time they called a play with multiple options. In all likely-hood, you count how many plays Dallas ran in the 2nd half, and those are the number of plays that had multiple options. In this case Romo made the wrong play - for the reasons I stated in the previous paragraph. For every play that comes in from the coach, there are multiple options for the QB, and the QB can even audible. I don't know how often run plays were called from coach, and then Romo simply didn't run it. Until you know that though, you can't credibly say that the play calling was bad in the 2nd half.
How do we know the defense was selling out to stop the run? Because they got killed by it in the 1st half, and made adjustments to stop it. Green Bay knew Dallas wanted to run the ball in the 2nd half (it was working successfully, and Dallas had the lead and wanted to use clock), so Green Bay played defensive formations that took away what Dallas wanted to do (aside from obvious pass situations, GB's defensive formations generally were suited to take away the run). Romo simply took what Green Bay's defense was giving him - and that was enticing him to pass it (not always the right move by Romo).
I'm not disagreeing with everything you say, b/c I agree Dallas suffers from a terrible defense and bad leadership. But in some of your arguments to absolve Romo of guilt, they're wrong. Simply, Romo is a big part of the reason why Dallas is losing, but not the only reason.

[quote name='F171615' timestamp='1387397767' post='8319431']
First, Manning would not get sacked on that play - b/c he's smart enough to know what blocking assignments there are on a given play, then not check to a throw instead of the run when it puts him in the position to escape an unblocked edge rusher. Being a great QB is not all physical ability. Someone who's physically gifted but makes stupid decisions (ie Romo on this play) will not perform as well as someone without the physical talents but makes the right decisions.
All plays that are called by the coach have multiple options to them. That one call on that INT was not the first time they called a play with multiple options. In all likely-hood, you count how many plays Dallas ran in the 2nd half, and those are the number of plays that had multiple options. In this case Romo made the wrong play - for the reasons I stated in the previous paragraph. For every play that comes in from the coach, there are multiple options for the QB, and the QB can even audible. I don't know how often run plays were called from coach, and then Romo simply didn't run it. Until you know that though, you can't credibly say that the play calling was bad in the 2nd half.
How do we know the defense was selling out to stop the run? Because they got killed by it in the 1st half, and made adjustments to stop it. Green Bay knew Dallas wanted to run the ball in the 2nd half (it was working successfully, and Dallas had the lead and wanted to use clock), so Green Bay played defensive formations that took away what Dallas wanted to do (aside from obvious pass situations, GB's defensive formations generally were suited to take away the run). Romo simply took what Green Bay's defense was giving him - and that was enticing him to pass it (not always the right move by Romo).
I'm not disagreeing with everything you say, b/c I agree Dallas suffers from a terrible defense and bad leadership. But in some of your arguments to absolve Romo of guilt, they're wrong. Simply, Romo is a big part of the reason why Dallas is losing, but not the only reason.
[/quote]

So you are saying that somebody of the likes of Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson is a better QB than Brett Favre was? And you are questioning somebody elses football knowledge?

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1387398312' post='8319481']
[quote name='F171615' timestamp='1387397767' post='8319431']
[/quote]

So you are saying that somebody of the likes of Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson is a better QB than Brett Favre was? And you are questioning somebody elses football knowledge?
[/quote]

I don't know where you got any of this: "So you are saying that somebody of the likes of Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson is a better QB than Brett Favre was?" I never said anything like that. If you read what I said, I basically said Romo makes stupid decisions - and yes, stupid decisions from your QB costs your team. Next time please skip the straw man.
And yes, I'm questioning somebody else's football knowledge. The person simply made assumptions, as they lacked any supportive evidence. So I was just giving him my counter-assumptions, which include evidence, b/c I thought it germane.

[quote name='F171615' timestamp='1387404327' post='8320009']
I don't know where you got any of this: "So you are saying that somebody of the likes of Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson is a better QB than Brett Favre was?" I never said anything like that. If you read what I said, I basically said Romo makes stupid decisions - and yes, stupid decisions from your QB costs your team. Next time please skip the straw man.
And yes, I'm questioning somebody else's football knowledge. The person simply made assumptions, as they lacked any supportive evidence. So I was just giving him my counter-assumptions, which include evidence, b/c I thought it germane.
[/quote]

This is where I got it : "[color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Being a great QB is not all physical ability. Someone who's physically gifted but makes stupid decisions (ie Romo on this play) will not perform as well as someone without the physical talents but makes the right decisions."[/background][/size][/color]

So Brett Favre (gifted and known to make stupid decisions...but a sure fire hall of famer) or hell even a guy like Matt Stafford will not perform as well as a lesser talented game manager qb such as a Brad Johnson or Dilfer? It doesnt matter if Brady or Manning were back there, if your defense cant stop ANYTHING.....no lead is safe.

Your "evidence" is purely a mix of opinion and hypothetical situations. You can not just assume Manning would do one thing, in a game and situation he wasnt in, and call it "evidence". Nor can you act like you were in the headset of Garrett and Romo and know exactly what was going on. Everything you think that other dude did that lead you to question his knowledge....is exactly what you have done in each of your posts.

Frankly, I dont give a crap if GB had 11 men in the box...they have a terrible run defense and at the rate Murray was ripping them off, you hand him the rock until his legs fall off or GB consistently stops him. GB in their "sellout to stop the run" formations dont matter. You have an offensive line that was blocking well and a rb who was unstoppable, keep running the ball. If football is played the way you are saying it is, how does Adrian Peterson get any yards? Why dont the Vikings throw the ball every down, since priority #1 when playing them is stop AP?

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

The Cowboys Problem is Order are

1.Jerry Jones (The GM)
2.Jason Garrett
3.Ware,Lee,Carr,Austin,Romo (Overpaid players who don't produce for the pay they get. Except in Lee case however he got a fat contract and has never played a full season)
4.Defense (They are Awful. However when you keep changing systems what do you expect. Pick a System and stick with it and get players for it.)
5.Tony Romo (I don't trust him in a big game and he'll always throw the big interception. I'm Pretty confident you can't win a superbowl with him. He might be able to win one for another team. Just don't think he can handle the Dallas Cowboys)

I agree, I think Romo is a solid QB....but he needs to have a D that can support him and provide some degree of cushion to absorb the mistakes. Currently, he has no room to make mistakes because the D cant stop anybody.

Hes the ultimate double edge sword, he will air it out and keep you in games and play brilliant but he can also sink you. If that is even a 10-15 ranked defense, it would help a lot .

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

F171615:

I am not trying to argue either. I'll admit the statements I made were out of extreme frustration as I was definitely emotional at the time. I am a die hard, extremely passionate, Cowboys fan (don't confuse those with unreasonable, as I believe a lot who call themselves fans are).

I think that some of the statements you made were as uninformed as mine. Neither of us know what plays were called, what Peyton Manning would actually do (he doesn't make the right decision 100% of the time), how many plays were changed at the line, or what the GB defensive scheme in the second half actually was. All WE can do is speculate.

The INT in question I do not believe was a bad decision, but rather a bad throw combined with a better than average defensive play. A better throw hits Austin in stride and it's a 40 yard gain (Miles won't outrun anyone). You can see the video of that play broken down on the Cowboys website.

Mr GameChanger:
Every player in the NFL is overpaid for what they do.

I'll agree with 1 & 2, but D Ware is a beast and everyone knows it, that's why he's fully accounted for on every play. Lee (when healthy is one of the smartest and most instinctive LBs in the league. He just can't stay on the field. Carr & Austin, well they don't produce as advertised.

Is there a QB that can handle the Dallas Cowboys?

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1387405467' post='8320103']
[quote name='F171615' timestamp='1387404327' post='8320009']
[/quote]

This is where I got it : "[color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Being a great QB is not all physical ability. Someone who's physically gifted but makes stupid decisions (ie Romo on this play) will not perform as well as someone without the physical talents but makes the right decisions."[/background][/size][/color]

So Brett Favre (gifted and known to make stupid decisions...but a sure fire hall of famer) or hell even a guy like Matt Stafford will not perform as well as a lesser talented game manager qb such as a Brad Johnson or Dilfer? It doesnt matter if Brady or Manning were back there, if your defense cant stop ANYTHING.....no lead is safe.

Your "evidence" is purely a mix of opinion and hypothetical situations. You can not just assume Manning would do one thing, in a game and situation he wasnt in, and call it "evidence". Nor can you act like you were in the headset of Garrett and Romo and know exactly what was going on. Everything you think that other dude did that lead you to question his knowledge....is exactly what you have done in each of your posts.

Frankly, I dont give a crap if GB had 11 men in the box...they have a terrible run defense and at the rate Murray was ripping them off, you hand him the rock until his legs fall off or GB consistently stops him. GB in their "sellout to stop the run" formations dont matter. You have an offensive line that was blocking well and a rb who was unstoppable, keep running the ball. If football is played the way you are saying it is, how does Adrian Peterson get any yards? Why dont the Vikings throw the ball every down, since priority #1 when playing them is stop AP?
[/quote]

Agree with everything bubba said..

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1387415164' post='8320739']
I agree, I think Romo is a solid QB....but he needs to have a D that can support him and provide some degree of cushion to absorb the mistakes. Currently, he has no room to make mistakes because the D cant stop anybody.

Hes the ultimate double edge sword, he will air it out and keep you in games and play brilliant but he can also sink you. If that is even a 10-15 ranked defense, it would help a lot .
[/quote]

Romo kinda sucks in the clutch and threw that game down the toilet.

I'll assume you agree with that.

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1387421610' post='8321191']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'll assume that you agree with the rest of us when we state that Romo is a [i]much[/i] better QB than Eli.

Has Eli gotten hot at the right time twice? Sure, but he's still a below average QB that has had more seasons with a passer rating below 80 than above 90.

[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1387424791' post='8321469']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'll assume that you agree with the rest of us when we state that Romo is a [i]much[/i] better QB than Eli.

Has Eli gotten hot at the right time twice? Sure, but he's still a below average QB that has had more seasons with a passer rating below 80 than above 90.
[/quote]

Consider this.

They are all good.

Like golfers on the range. They can toss the ball, sure.

But I don't recall Eli throwing big games down the toilet. In fact, he steps up in big games.

Closed the biggest games. Won the biggest games. MVP in the biggest games.

4rth Quarter. 4rth Quarter.

That's the game.

Eli is the absolute best medicore Qb who went on two lucky hot streaks carried by some stout D. If we want to talk about interceptions......how about the 5 eli just threw?

Interceptions happen....some people seem to think that there are defenders on the field that can make plays on the ball. Its not as if a Qb goes out there trying to throw them or lob it up right to the defender. Sometimes a qb makes a bad decision, some time a defender makes a good play. Tip your hat and move on.

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1387425775' post='8321581']
[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1387424791' post='8321469']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Consider this.

They are all good.

Like golfers on the range. They can toss the ball, sure.

But I don't recall Eli throwing big games down the toilet. In fact, he steps up in big games.

Closed the biggest games. Won the biggest games. MVP in the biggest games.

4rth Quarter. 4rth Quarter.

That's the game.
[/quote]

Consider this:

The Giants aren't playing any "big" games this season because Eli has already thrown 26 interceptions and single handedly eliminated his team from playoff contention.

[color=#292F33]From [/color][url="https://twitter.com/nflnetwork"]@nflnetwork[/url][color=#292F33] research: Romo has thrown 8 INT in final 5 minutes of 4th quarter when game is within 7 points, most in [/color][url="https://twitter.com/nfl"]@nfl[/url][color=#292F33] last 3 years.[/color]

[url="http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/tony-romo-clutch-dallas-cowboys/"]http://ftw.usatoday....dallas-cowboys/[/url]

Tony Romo seems to throw interceptions at the worst times. In the last three seasons, he has 16 TDs and 0 INTs (131.5 passer rating) in the first 10 minutes of the fourth quarter of games within 7 points. In the final five minutes of games when the score is within 7 points, Romo has two TDs and eight INTs, with a passer rating of 59.7.

[url="http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000300615/Mind-blowing-stats-for-Week-16-of-the-2013-season"]http://www.nfl.com/p...the-2013-season[/url]

What does this mean?>

[b]"In the final five minutes of games when the score is within 7 points, Romo has two TDs and eight INTs, with a passer rating of 59.7."[/b]

[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1387456133' post='8322207']

Consider this:

The Giants aren't playing any "big" games this season because Eli has already thrown 26 interceptions and single handedly eliminated his team from playoff contention.
[/quote]

Not singlehandedly. For some reason, his receivers have consistently not been reading coverage correctly. Even Cruz. That will damage any QB's performance.

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1387466949' post='8322841']
[color=#292F33]From [/color][url="https://twitter.com/nflnetwork"]@nflnetwork[/url][color=#292F33] research: Romo has thrown 8 INT in final 5 minutes of 4th quarter when game is within 7 points, most in [/color][url="https://twitter.com/nfl"]@nfl[/url][color=#292F33] last 3 years.[/color]

[url="http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/tony-romo-clutch-dallas-cowboys/"]http://ftw.usatoday....dallas-cowboys/[/url]

Tony Romo seems to throw interceptions at the worst times. In the last three seasons, he has 16 TDs and 0 INTs (131.5 passer rating) in the first 10 minutes of the fourth quarter of games within 7 points. In the final five minutes of games when the score is within 7 points, Romo has two TDs and eight INTs, with a passer rating of 59.7.

[url="http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000300615/Mind-blowing-stats-for-Week-16-of-the-2013-season"]http://www.nfl.com/p...the-2013-season[/url]

What does this mean?>

[b]"In the final five minutes of games when the score is within 7 points, Romo has two TDs and eight INTs, with a passer rating of 59.7."[/b]
[/quote]

Are you trying to imply that Eli is somehow a better QB than Romo? That's was my only point, and it's been proven. I'm not saying Romo is the best under pressure. I never said that.

[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1387472358' post='8323309']

What does this mean?>

[/quote]

Are you trying to imply that Eli is somehow a better QB than Romo? That's was my only point, and it's been proven. I'm not saying Romo is the best under pressure. I never said that.
[/quote]

I have no idea why you brought up Eli in the first place.

Because I said Romo threw the game down the toilet?

What did Eli have to do with that?

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1387473356' post='8323387']

What does this mean?>

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, because you're a NYG fan. Naturally, I have to bring to light the mediocrity that is Eli Manning. :)

[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1387476032' post='8323631']
[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1387473356' post='8323387']

What does this mean?>

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, because you're a NYG fan. Naturally, I have to bring to light the mediocrity that is Eli Manning. :)
[/quote]

Mediocrity? Guy can't tie his shoe laces this year.

I like to read all the stuff posted out here. I love football but don't follow as closely as I once did. Was just shocked at the end of that game and Romo's blundering. Not all on him and I am of the school that offense wins fans and defense wins games.

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1387478205' post='8323781']

Mediocrity? Guy can't tie his shoe laces this year.

I like to read all the stuff posted out here. I love football but don't follow as closely as I once did. Was just shocked at the end of that game and Romo's blundering. Not all on him and I am of the school that offense wins fans and defense wins games.
[/quote]

He's had his fair share of blunders. I'm waiting for him the break through one time so maybe it'll all fall into place. Might be wishful thinking though.

Thanks Jerry.