2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Womens iron set for High School daughter

Okay, need some advice on purchasing womens irons for my daughter. Narrowed down to either the Callaway XR and XR OS (she likes both). Any parents with some experience with either would be much appreciated.

She has been fitted for senior flex irons and woods in the past but she's always felt more comfortable with ladies flex (proof is on the course). I'm done with "professional fittings" for her since I've had better luck on my own. She's set on her metal woods and hybrid and just needs a good set of irons. I just can't decide between the two.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There basically the same iron so I would expect that she hits them the same. The oversize means the sweet spot is bigger. At the end of the day i doubt it is much difference. I personally would go with the OS since the oversize will help in a lot cases for 18 holes. If your daughter was a really good ball striker she probably prefer the Apex Pro or another iron.

I don't think either choice will be an issue with these.

I don't think you are going to get much of a response. The people that post here are generally fathers of the better playing high school junior golfers. Better playing high school female golfers are in men's clubs with senior graphite, regular, or stiff flex steel shafts.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

I don't think you are going to get much of a response. The people that post here are generally fathers of the better playing high school junior golfers. Better playing junior high school female golfers are in men's clubs with regular or stiff flex steel shafts.

I coached high school golf for 15 years and always cautioned parents about spending a ton of money on a women's set of clubs. The girls that really practiced hard were swinging too hard for ladies clubs within a year and had to move to men's clubs. As you stated, they ended up with senior shafts and I had couple that were swinging regular men's shafts.

I don't think you are going to get much of a response. The people that post here are generally fathers of the better playing high school junior golfers. Better playing junior high school female golfers are in men's clubs with regular or stiff flex steel shafts.

I coached high school golf for 15 years and always cautioned parents about spending a ton of money on a women's set of clubs. The girls that really practiced hard were swinging too hard for ladies clubs within a year and had to move to men's clubs. As you stated, they ended up with senior shafts and I had couple that were swinging regular men's shafts.

This is from Golfsmith.

Ladies flex should be used for a swing speed of less than 60 mph, senior flex for 60–75 mph, regular flex for 75–84 mph, stiff flex for 84–93 mph, and extra-stiff flex for speeds above 93 mph.Jun 21, 2016

One thing that doesn't get mentioned much but I found is important is the speed you want to measure for flex is not the first 5 or 10 swings you get in a launch monitor. You need to fit for the swing speed when your 14 or 15 holes out on the course. In many cases you can drop 5 -10 mph per swing. Also watch the weight of the club. Most mens shafts including senior shafts are actually a little heavy. I see way too many girls with 75 or 80g senior shafts that are way to heavy for them.

You also need to shop for the golfers swing. The sad thing is clubs marketed to women are usually the lower end clubs you may want to avoid. If they sell the same set for men then it's usually ok. To get a feel of what is good for women look at the LPGA and what they play with. I also think your choice for irons for your daughter is a solid choice. I have seen lot of junior girls play with and score pretty good in the low 80's with them.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned much but I found is important is the speed you want to measure for flex is not the first 5 or 10 swings you get in a launch monitor. You need to fit for the swing speed when your 14 or 15 holes out on the course. In many cases you can drop 5 -10 mph per swing. Also watch the weight of the club. Most mens shafts including senior shafts are actually a little heavy. I see way too many girls with 75 or 80g senior shafts that are way to heavy for them.

That's a great point and I have to agree. I think that's why my daughter was originally fitted for senior flex but fare better with lady flex. Although, she did spend quite a bit of time getting fitted.

That's a great point and I have to agree. I think that's why my daughter was originally fitted for senior flex but fare better with lady flex. Although, she did spend quite a bit of time getting fitted.

How old is she?

15 sophmore

If she is trying to pursue golf at the high school level and beyond, you are making a huge mistake purchasing a set of women's clubs.

Here is my take., and you may not like what I say, but I am going to say it anyway. I went through the same thing with my daughter when she was 13.

1. A club is only as good as the shaft. Graphite shafts in women's clubs are not good. They are built for swing speeds less than 60 MPH. If her swing speed is more than that, get her senior flex shafts. You will be losing accuracy with the ladies shaft.

2. The heads are lighter and will not produce a longer ball than buying the men's counterpart.

3. I don't know how long she has been playing, but she has no idea what she likes. The only reason she likes the women's flex is because that is what she is used to. She doesn't know what hitting a real club is supposed to feel like.

4. Totally disagree with Tiger. If she is not swinging at the same swing speed on hole 18 that she does on hole one then that is a fitness and swing problem. If she is that fatigued then she is probably an arm swinger because you shouldn't be that tired. That should have zero effect on the clubs chosen.

5. If she is pursuing a higher level of golf, buy her a used set of ladies clubs because I guarantee she will need a brand new set with a stiffer flex within a year.

6. If she is just playing recreationally, just buy her a used set of women's clubs.

I have to agree with Heavy, You are most likely going to need to buy stiffer shafts or new clubs in a year. I learned how to replace shafts so for me that is never a big deal. I also prefer aftermarket shafts because there is more selection and you can match the flex better. Usually OEM ladies shafts on clubs sold in the stores are not very good.

Some ladies shafts are horrible others are actually really good and are closer to senior flex. You also usually need to special order the better ones and it is usually money well spend. I tend to look at what the LPGA golfers are using and then order the correct flex based on swing speed for my daughter. There is no standard so never make an assumption just on flex. I should also clarify by statement above about going with the lower flex. If someone its borderline on the swing speed and could either way you should always go with the more flexible option.