krank formula 5 vs. bombtech grenade

alessio

Listen....there's a lot of talk here, some complete unneeded bashing too. I get the whole competitive market but when i write a review it's based on MY opinion. And my opinion is unbiased by any name that is written on the club. I swing what works for me, yes it may be different from what works for another, but that's what real reviews written by real customers are supposed to be. There's too many fake reviews written by paid people out on the internet. My review from the start showed no favoritism. Both krank & bombtech drivers had their pro's & cons. Customer service with both companies was top notch. (Although hearing that Tanner had now left krank...that may change MY opinion) what it gets down to is feel to the golfer. Both drivers are very accurate clubs. Almost identical with just a very small (& i do mean very small) tip going to the grenade.(the krank isn't going to find itself out of play either, we're only taking a few yrds of dispersion here) But in total distance the krank , for me, was longer. (Double digits longer) in my opinion, they wash out. They're equal for what i would be looking for. The krank has a softer feel, but it's loud as hell. The bombtech has a firmer feel & a muted sound. I personally like the softer feel with a muted sound! Again they wash for me. At this time I'm swinging the Bertha....guess what....it's long, it's muted, it's soft... BUT the composite crown it's cracking through the paint at the rear of the head! All 3 heads that i have are doing this. Guess what else? I'm not happy about that! and i am considering finding a driver that has what i like WITH durability. Probably meaning no composite Crowns? Taylormade drivers? I stopped buying them, keep caving the face in....they don't hold up, So i don't buy them. TEE XCG7 Beta? Love it, but too fade biased. You name it there's something that someone is not going to like. But why attack each other? There's plenty of people in the world buying golf equipment. And there's more options than just krank & bombtech. Instead trying to earn faithful golfers by bashing shortcomings on the internet, Work on making something truly great to offer the golfers. That's where the energy needs to be focused. Then the golfers will find you. But let them find you based on real reviews posted by real golfers.

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='juggernaut0629' timestamp='1395886120' post='8959305']
It's actually a VERY accurate club. Shouldn't be a problem. I'm actually going to sell/trade mine. Driver, headcover & stiff shaft I had pulled as package.
[/quote]

Did you ever sell your Grenade driver? I just recently found out about this product and would definitely be interested in a used one in good condition.

- Robert -

[quote name='BombTechGolf' timestamp='1415398598' post='10412893']
[quote name='PongGod' timestamp='1415398333' post='10412869'][quote name='juggernaut0629' timestamp='1395886120' post='8959305']
It's actually a VERY accurate club. Shouldn't be a problem. I'm actually going to sell/trade mine. Driver, headcover & stiff shaft I had pulled as package.
[/quote]

Did you ever sell your Grenade driver? I just recently found out about this product and would definitely be interested in a used one in good condition.

- Robert -[/quote]

Robert

We have certified pre owned drivers available. Email [email protected]

Thanks for the interest!

Sully
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll shoot you an email.

- Robert -

• 4 months later...

[quote name='I 3 putt' timestamp='1427693791' post='11243579']
So how does the Bombtech compare to the Krank formula 6 or the mutant brute?
[/quote]wouldn't know yet....I'm STILL waiting for the F6 head to arrive!

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

• 3 weeks later...

If Bombtech could get into some local retailers I'd be willing to try. Just nowhere to demo.

Callaway Rogue ST TD w/ Tensei White 65X
Callaway Rogue ST 15* w/ Tensei White 75X
Callaway Mavrik Pro 19* Hybrid w/ KBS Prototype 95 X
Ping i230 w/ DG X100 120
Callaway Jaws 50,54,58 w/ KBS 610 Wedge 125
Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

• 1 month later...

All I would say is if you are going to purchase the club do so with the shaft as the 60 day guarantee does not work with the component purchases which I wish it did as I am now a proud owner of a $200 paper weight. I was extremely excited to hit this driver when I heard that it was coming in a 9 deg and even more so when Sully mentioned that he can reduce that even down to 8.5 and slightly open for me. Who wouldn't want a custom driver made for you. After reading all of the reviews I could find on the web I decided to pull the pin, after installing a V2 LD shaft in it and testing it in our simulator at work next to my current club BBA'14 with Grafalloy Blue X my excitement was quickly replaced with disappointment. I showed the club to one of the guys at work and he mentioned that it looked to have quite a bit of loft on it so I held it next to a couple other drivers set to their 8.5* setting and the Grenade has quite a bit more loft. I wish I had the tools to measure the clubs true loft to see what it really was playing at because I think the loft plays a lot into the results I was experiencing in the simulator which as im sure you can guess did not favor the Grenade at all. On average the Grenade launched at 15-17 deg and spun from the high 2000's to low 3000's which affected both carry distance and roll out mid 250's carry and mid 270's total distance. This compared to my current driver the BBA'14 which I launch at 12* with spin rates from 1800 to 2100 and carry distance 275 and total 295+. Having not really run into any bad reviews on this product I am baffled, how can my experience be so bad while people are writing that they have not only gained accuracy but distance as well, I would have been happy with more accuracy and given up 5 yards but to give up 25+ yards with no gain in accuracy is crazy, I just don't understand.

Dealing with Bombtech has been nothing short of great and I hope that his business thrives, I am just a confused customer that does not understand why im the only one experiencing this, it sucks but I hope I just got a dud and that the product does perform normally. Going forward I will not be purchasing anything before trying it and I will probably stay away from the little guys in the game as this has left a bad taste in my mouth.

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

[quote name='BombTechGolf' timestamp='1432319148' post='11609482']
[quote name='FirePro' timestamp='1432233336' post='11602706']
All I would say is if you are going to purchase the club do so with the shaft as the 60 day guarantee does not work with the component purchases which I wish it did as I am now a proud owner of a $200 paper weight. I was extremely excited to hit this driver when I heard that it was coming in a 9 deg and even more so when Sully mentioned that he can reduce that even down to 8.5 and slightly open for me. Who wouldn't want a custom driver made for you. After reading all of the reviews I could find on the web I decided to pull the pin, after installing a V2 LD shaft in it and testing it in our simulator at work next to my current club BBA'14 with Grafalloy Blue X my excitement was quickly replaced with disappointment. I showed the club to one of the guys at work and he mentioned that it looked to have quite a bit of loft on it so I held it next to a couple other drivers set to their 8.5* setting and the Grenade has quite a bit more loft. I wish I had the tools to measure the clubs true loft to see what it really was playing at because I think the loft plays a lot into the results I was experiencing in the simulator which as im sure you can guess did not favor the Grenade at all. On average the Grenade launched at 15-17 deg and spun from the high 2000's to low 3000's which affected both carry distance and roll out mid 250's carry and mid 270's total distance. This compared to my current driver the BBA'14 which I launch at 12* with spin rates from 1800 to 2100 and carry distance 275 and total 295+. Having not really run into any bad reviews on this product I am baffled, how can my experience be so bad while people are writing that they have not only gained accuracy but distance as well, I would have been happy with more accuracy and given up 5 yards but to give up 25+ yards with no gain in accuracy is crazy, I just don't understand.

Dealing with Bombtech has been nothing short of great and I hope that his business thrives, I am just a confused customer that does not understand why im the only one experiencing this, it sucks but I hope I just got a dud and that the product does perform normally. Going forward I will not be purchasing anything before trying it and I will probably stay away from the little guys in the game as this has left a bad taste in my mouth.
[/quote]

There is a reason we use Matrix shafts! Not sure if that V2 is working well for your specific swing
[/quote]

I am surprised as your response. You're the owner of the company you should be doing everything in your power to try and get him into a head that works for him...not blaming it on the shaft. I am sure there are plenty of people that have hit your "matrix" shaft and didn't like it and that is understandable. I don't truly see him losing 25 yards because he is using a shaft that I assume was fitted for him instead of your shaft. I also find it odd that your 60 day guarantee is only on the whole club, and doesn't include just the club head. Please explain why it's only the full club, after all it's still your head regardless if he puts his own shaft in it.

Having worked in customer service myself for a number of years I am baffled by your response and seemingly lack of caring. Since you are the owner of a small company you should be doing everything you can to try and get him a driver head that works for him, after all a few bad reviews like this on WRX or any site could really hurt your business. I am sure if he posted this in the general equipment section and not the LD section many more guys would be seeing it.

[quote name='BombTechGolf' timestamp='1432319064' post='11609470']
[quote name='FirePro' timestamp='1432233336' post='11602706']

[/quote]

Did you hit it outside? Did you put white tape the head, the all matte black throws some monitors off really bad.
[/quote]

no, I just hit it in the sim, we use foresight and previous matte black crowns did not effect launch angle and spin rates. The shaft that I have is Low Launch Low Spin Low torque were as the Matrix shafts are all Mid Mid that you offer with high torque which would make my case of the over draw (Hook) worse hence why I did not choose to go that route. I'm not an everyday hack I know what shaft best works for me and I trust the monitor to give me correct results, as mentioned in my original post I wish I could check the true loft of this club compared to a couple other drivers on the shelf to see what this is really playing at because I can visually see more loft on the grenade which would play a big factor in my results as I normally hit an 8 deg head.

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")

Ok then please answer these for me.

1. Is correct that your 60 day guarentee is only on the purchase of a full club and not if you purchase just the head or is that incorrect information?

2. What kind of warranty do you offer with your product? If you have a warranty is it when you buy a full club only or just club head only as well?

Unfortunately, I have never heard an all black head throwing off monitors...the white ones yes but not the black ones.

I'm a fan Sully, so I'm sure you will work this out.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

So if I buy a head only there is Zero "0" guarentee? That makes absolutely ZERO sense. The head afterall is YOUR product...the shaft is just something you are having Mateix make for you.

So If I buy the head have a certified top club fitter/builder assemble it and then take it out and 100 swings later I've cracked the head I'm screwed because you offer ZERO warranty on your actual own product?

Foresight takes pictures of the ball and measures rotation, launch and speed of that ball once hit, as the Texan mentioned black heads have no effect but sometimes the white ones do because the Foresight cannot differentiate between ball and head. As for your request if I have taken it outside and hit it no, after seeing the results in the simulator I figured it would be a waist of time as I will not be able to measure the actual distance and spin rates anyways. But to entertain your question I will take it to the range and see what sort of flight I get and report them back.

I've got mutant heads, krank heads, cobra heads, ares head. Haven't tried the Paderson shaft yet.

Just think everyone deserves a straight forward answer from the owner of the company how his warranty and guarentee work. So there are no smoke and mirrors and someone doesn't get roped into buying a product based on a guarantee and then doesn't qualify because they weren't told the complete truth

They offer 90% back on all custom clubs Jason. But what is a custom club? You select loft and flex and call it custom? Wouldn't custom kinda be like a club that actually fits the golfer? If it's custom, more shaft options need to be made available. That would make it custom, not just selecting a loft and shaft flex. You can get that "off the rack"

There ya go...wasn't so hard now was it.

I think the 60 day warranty is a great idea but I think it should be on head only purchases as well. Afterall your product or "baby" as you will is the head not the shaft. What model matrix shaft is yours? I know your shaft is painted for the grenade but I don't think Matrix would come up with an entirely new shaft design for it. Take for example Long Drive which I know you are familiar with. Big player in LD is House of Forged made by Matrix...small shaft hit by really only a couple guys Fierce LD shafts again made by Matrix. One will cost you $200+ to buy the other will cost you significantly less. The fierce LD shaft will play the same as one of the house of forged shafts because it's the same thing just painted different.

[quote name='Jasonfish_02' timestamp='1432771209' post='11639288']
I've got mutant heads, krank heads, cobra heads, ares head. Haven't tried the Paderson shaft yet.

Just think everyone deserves a straight forward answer from the owner of the company how his warranty and guarentee work. So there are no smoke and mirrors and someone doesn't get roped into buying a product based on a guarantee and then doesn't qualify because they weren't told the complete truth
[/quote]

I purchased knowing that there was no warranty, so thats on me. The reason for the post is to push people to purchase the whole club shaft included so if they have an experience like I have that they can retain that money back guarantee.

Oh and I took the driver to the range and put it up against my BBA'14 and was only able to get the Grenade landing near the 250 yard marker and launched noticeably higher then the BBA. I also zapped the marker with my range finder to make sure it was the right distance. After hitting the Grenade I hit my BBA and was able to hit a much lower ball flight, more to what I am accustom to and was landing it over the 250 marker and had it roll out to the front of the green where the 300 marker was situated so 290+ im assuming. I then hit my XTD 3 wood at 14.5* with Tour AD DI 80X @ 42" just as long as the Grenade so.... ya, the XTD is no slouch but to be producing the same distance as a driver.

I hope this helps Sully, I really like pulling for the little guys they seem to care more for the customer then the big corporate types but for what ever reason the product just does not work for me, good luck with growing Bombtech it looks like you have a lot of fans out there but I will be keeping my business with the big dogs going forward to protect myself from loosing anymore money on risky purchases.

my order number was #225

If by club build you mean who epoxied the shaft into the head, I did. No I did not take more swings as the results were both negative in the simulator and outside. Not sure I understand the last question, how would the Grenade feel stiffer?

Yes I can pull the shaft, that's not an issue. your return policy is only valid in the US so the fact that I am in Canada will this be an issue?

So taking off the ferrule the blade scratched the the neck a little, still want it back or was I not to have this money in my life?

• 2 months later...

[quote name='tictac2340' timestamp='1440616054' post='12213270']Am still waiting to get a reply from BonbTechGol,f sent two emails no return emails, so looks like i will have to take my business else where .
Hate bad customers service , i run my own company and know how to treat my customers[/quote]

Have you tried to call?