2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Golf Pet-Peeves

hokiey2k

No really a peeve, but it is amusing to get paired with someone who "shoots high 70's" and the guy is grinding to keep it out of triple digits. In itself, not bad, but the same guy usually has a long, drawn out excuse after every bad swing. All 98 of them.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have many. Cell phone usage doesn't bother me at all as long as they are used w/ correct etiquette ie. not talking when someone is swinging, keeping it on vibrate and not answering during someone's swing. It is the same as if the person on the other end of the phone is standing there next to you on the course. I always have my phone with me, but I use it correctly. And to answer the others on here; Yes, my wife is important enough to talk to when she calls. Same thing goes with my family. Sorry, but they are higher on my priorities than this game. I have no problem with a 1-2 minute conversation on the course.

The things that really do bother me is people that have a cart and will wait at one ball, go through the routine and hit, then drive to the other 20 yards away for the other guy. What happened to ready golf? Just because you have a cart doesn't mean you can't walk AT ALL! Drop the guy off at his ball, go hit yours, meet again in the middle, drive to next shot and repeat.

All in all, as this list proves, we need to worry more about our own games than all the things that make us mad. What happened to this being a fun game?

People with long, long lists of things that bug them on the golf course.

I have a pet peeve or two, but some of these posts read like a list of everything everyone has ever done on a golf course that is different from the way I'd do it. Sometimes we seem to be a bunch of "get out of my yard" cranks who act like nobody has a right to be on a golf course except us and those who think and act exactly like us. It may come as unwelcome news, but no matter how committed and serious we are as golfers, we do not "own" the game.

One of the things I really like about golf is showing up as a single and getting to know someone completely random during a round of golf.

People with long, long lists of things that bug them on the golf course.

I have a pet peeve or two, but some of these posts read like a list of everything everyone has ever done on a golf course that is different from the way I'd do it. Sometimes we seem to be a bunch of "get out of my yard" cranks who act like nobody has a right to be on a golf course except us and those who think and act exactly like us. It may come as unwelcome news, but no matter how committed and serious we are as golfers, we do not "own" the game.

One of the things I really like about golf is showing up as a single and getting to know someone completely random during a round of golf.

I do like that too. In the last year I have met an NFL Referee (he was an idiot), a former member of the Board of Govenors of the Federal Reserve, the director of the Ann Arbor Ronald McDonald House, three Deans from Western Michigan University, and countless professors from the University of Michigan.

1 people giving me a ton of advice on my swing and how to play the game. (you swing too hard, work on your tempo. You have the ball teed up too high. I think your gonna pop the ball up with how high you have the ball teed up. I think you need to cut down your driver shaft.)

2 people that have really nice clubs but can't play well. ( I saw a guy with a nice titleist driver and V2 shaft put the ball a fairway over. It was at least 65 yards to the right)

3 people at the driving range that make funny grunts and sounds after a bad shot to impress the instructor.

4 Loud drunk people yelling at each other when I'm on the tee.

5 Drunk people complaining about why there ball shot strait into the woods. It's because your so drunk you lost your sense of direction.

Thats about it with the usual of not fixing the ball marks, bad divot repair, non raked bunkers, stuff like that

- People who blame every miss hit on some "noise" like a car 5 miles off in the distance or "that bird chirped in the middle of my swing"... Face it, you suck - deal with and move on.

- Un-repaired divots (it's not my job to clean up your ball mark because you finally hit the green with an iron shot)

- The idiot Marshall that tells us to speed up play when we wait on every tee box for the group in front of us and that group is still in a position where we can't tee off.

- Anyone who leaves any sort of garbage on the course - they should be forced to drink the lake water.

- Drunken golfers making a mockery of the game and the gourse.

- Players who are 3 touchdowns worse than you giving out advice.

- Snakes and bees - they just scare the heck outta me...LOL

- Golfers that hit into once "say they are sorry", hit into you twice "say they are sorry" hit into you a third time and get mad when I drive the ball right back at em (only happened once).

great thread... I seem to always run into the ranger with an attitude. "Yes sir, we have been up their a** all day so we have slowed down the pace a bit so that we are not waiting 20 minutes on each tee, yes sir the people in front of us ignore the fact that all 4 of us are bombing down the middle and actually hitting greens and watching them with their ball scooper on every hole, and for the group who were behind us..they're probably on the 5th hole, read the sign jacka** we are on the 11th. Now buzz off and let us play golf!!!!!!!!

Driver - M2/KuroKage xstiff
3 wood - TS2 16.5/KuroKage xstiff
Hybrids - Titleist 918 3/4
Irons - Mizuno 223, Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges - Vokey SM8 - 51, 56, 60
Whitlam/Gauge Design - Coldstar Devon ETBW
Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Club - WoodenSticks Golf Club

When proper etiquette is not being followed, kinda ruins one of those treasured days. I can live with a few of the pet peeves mentioned here but different strokes for different folks I guess.

Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Any day on the golf course should be treasured and not picked apart. You guys need to work on being more positive.

I don't consider having to repair someone else's divots or clean up after them on the golf course something I would treasure. I have a job and it's not playing garbageman on the golf course for people with no respect for the game.

How hard is it to repair a ball mark on the green?

Someone saying "good shot" after I just toed the &*%$ out of the ball.

Driving ranges that face directly into the early morning sun/late afternoon sun.

People who use X-OUT Pro-V's and black out the X-OUT...it is still and X-OUT you know.

People who don't put their headcovers back on their woods.

People who generate more club head speed slamming their driver than when they hit it.

Iron covers.

Plastic Tees.

Walking restrictions.

Cart paths too close to the fairway or green.

Trees in the middle of the fairway (the game is hard enough without that crap).

Doglegs to the right.

Callaway Wide Soles.

Golf course employees who forget that your money is used to pay their salary.

Golf stores that employ people who obviously have never hit a golf ball. (I shouldn't know more about what you are selling then you do)

Being from the UK my pet hate is buggies and worse the horrid unsightly cart paths that ruin a great looking course. They ruin the pace of the game!

I also hate all of the paraphanelia that comes with the game... tees, glove, marker, pitch mark repairer, something to eat, drink, shoes, shoe bag, etc, etc, etc...

Any day on the golf course should be treasured and not picked apart. You guys need to work on being more positive.

I don't consider having to repair someone else's divots or clean up after them on the golf course something I would treasure. I have a job and it's not playing garbageman on the golf course for people with no respect for the game.

Oh I never repair ball marks or rake bunkers. My Daddy once told me, "There is a job for every man and a man for every job". ;)

1. People who wait for a green to clear on a Par 5 when they have 300 plus into the green (I had this guy all day on Saturday).

2. People who say "That will play" I just hit it center cut and 70 yards past you, of course it will play. Same is true from the woods or hazard, just harder shots.

3. Equipment advice. I play what works for me and that is that. If I hit a bad drive it has nothing to do wiith the shaft or loft of my driver, but more than likely the swing I put on it.

4. Don't play from the tips when you are a 24 handicap and hit your drives an average of 175 yards. Move up and play the whites and enjoy the game a bit.

-cheaters

-yackers who talk up to like 1.3 seconds before u pull the trigger ;)

-temper tantrums and club tossing

-dudes smokin brown turds(cigars) on the course and leaving the ashes all over!

-guys who gear up like they are pga pros to play a muni

-14 year olds with j lindeburg gear and white belts

-dudes wearin pink shirts

-kids with clubs valued more than your car

-guys u play against in a tournament who have to bring their whole entourage(mom,dad,girlfriend/boyfriend,friends,grandma,the dog etc....)

Taylor Made M4 Project X HAZRDS
Ping I20 5-pw
Ping Eye 2+ BECU 3,4 iron
Titleist Vokey SM6 54,60
Taylor Made Spider Tour Red putter
Titleist 917f 3 wood

Oh I never repair ball marks or rake bunkers. My Daddy once told me, "There is a job for every man and a man for every job". ;)

HAHAHAHA :)

How about the cart girl/person/whatever serving a foursome in the middle of the fairway, before the group even hits and nobody out of the foursome is hitting their shot when no one is on the green. Whats the problem with waiting at the tee box once they get off the green?

Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

For those of you who said not putting covers for your woods and driver, what if that person didn't have any covers to put on?

I for one am actually talking about someone with a fairly new driver that costs in the range of 300-400 dollars and slamming down into their bag and allowing it to get ride down the fairway going "clank, clank" again the other clubs. Thus causing damage to an otherwise nice golf club.

Can I add?

People hitting brand new irons on the floor or carpet in golf stores. (I have seen new irons for sale in my local shops with more scratches on the bottom than my irons that have probably 30 rounds under their belt.)

most of my pet peeves were mentioned... except this one...

~Pet Peeve of me!~ is when people slice their drives from an adjacent fairway into my fairway, and relativly close to me and dont yell FORE! Jesus christ... i've almost been hit like 10 times from those jerks... Then they drive up, proceed to just hit their ball... and make nothing of it... If you sice a ball 50 yards over into another fairway... yell FORE, or maybe apologize when you get by me... (BTW a few people have apologized, the ones with class and decent ettique who mis-hit a shot, but then the redneck drinking beer and saying... i only mishit it a little, outta the way son...)