2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Steve Williams - Shameless

tv23

might I also suggest that the rules are not the lowest standard that is acceptable. The rules are the rules. The rules of golf are the rules of golf. The requirements of the PGA Tour are the requirements. Players, especially professionals, apply and follow the rules to their advantage. They don't use the rules as the "lowest standard" and purposely choose to do something harder or easier, just becuase it might be more "appropriate".

You may suggest anything you like, however it has little to do with the matter at hand.

Here is the difference, since you seem intent on this. The tour requires slacks and collared shirts. So, if I were a tour player and showed up in faded and patched slacks with stripes and a plaid shirt with a collar I would meet the requirements. However, that is a pretty low standard. We certainly expect something more from tour players.

The tour requires caddies to wear the jumpsuit or bib. So when Stevie et. al. wear the bib or jumpsuit they (perhaps) meet the requirements. That doesn't mean as a sponsor or fan I want to see Stevie disrobing walking up the 18th fairway anymore than I want to see Tiger strip down to shorts and a t-shirt walking up the 18th fairway.

As I said, rules and laws are typically the lowest exceptable standard, not normally the bar one aspires to.

Then the the problem is with the PGA Tour and not Steve and the other caddies that do this

The PGA chooses to enforce some "requirements" but not others? I would suggest that the PGA Tour has no problem with this and that is why the requirement is not enforced.

Perhaps.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone point to where these rules are available? I can't seem to find them

I already did. I provided a quote and a reference.

Go to the PGA Tour website - they are there.

You posted:

Caddies are asked to follow a PGA TOUR dress code for shirts, pants/shorts, shoes and the caddie bib or uniform supplied by the tournament."

This is from the FAQ on the site. But it does not define the dress code.

The only information I found on players clothing is

"any currently accepted golf fashion." That includes non-traditional clothing such as mock turtlenecks or other shirts that do not feature a pull-down collar. "

I found some information on pants / shorts for caddies, but nothing in detail stating if it is against the rules / requirements for a caddy to remove the bib during the course of play.

This thread started with the line "....I don't profess to know much about the specific tournament rules that caddies have to follow, but I am almost certain that Steve Williams is breaking some of them... consistently"

To this point, I have still not seen a specific rule he would be breaking.

You posted:

Caddies are asked to follow a PGA TOUR dress code for shirts, pants/shorts, shoes and the caddie bib or uniform supplied by the tournament."

This is from the FAQ on the site. But it does not define the dress code.

The only information I found on players clothing is

"any currently accepted golf fashion." That includes non-traditional clothing such as mock turtlenecks or other shirts that do not feature a pull-down collar. "

I found some information on pants / shorts for caddies, but nothing in detail stating if it is against the rules / requirements for a caddy to remove the bib during the course of play.

This thread started with the line "....I don't profess to know much about the specific tournament rules that caddies have to follow, but I am almost certain that Steve Williams is breaking some of them... consistently"

To this point, I have still not seen a specific rule he would be breaking.

Suit yourself.

You also stated that the tour "requires slacks and collared shirts"

While I agree it requires slacks, it does not require collared shirts....

suit yourself.....

Collared shirts aren't the issue. Even the most obtuse of people shoudl be able to read that the "...caddie bib or uniform supplied by the tournament." How can you wear it and take it off at the same time?

Why do you insist on trying to deflect the issue? I don't enjoy semantic arguments because they purposely skirt the central issue(s) and are, well, stupid, for lack of a better word.

One last comment - since you can't find the rules, how do you know collared shirts are or are not a requirement? Mock turtle necks have a collar - I didn't say anything about "pull down" collars. Nor did I start the thread, so don't attribute the inital poster's words to me.

Well, what is the "matter at hand" or the "central issue" if not the question if Stevie is breaking the rules?

The rules of golf are all about semantic issues.

I found some of the rules. I never said I found all the rules. In fact that is why I asked you, but rather than give a constructive answer you just said, they are on the website.

by the way, what type of shirt doesn't have some type of collar?

Ok while I find this amusing I am getting sick of it.

The truth is the Golf Commissioner has no balls to do anything. He feels that if Tiger goes then so does the PGA Tour. So in turn this little so called mishap slides by without a big fuss. It is like the collared shirt and slacks. Most are moving to the none collared shirts and I am going to admit that I thought too at first was a big issue but if you actually wear one for a round, they are really nice and comfy with the golf swing. Back on topic, So with Mr. Steve taking of his bib before they get out of the Lime LIGHT yes it is UNPROFESSIONAL ( the word that should of been used all along). The Commissioner does not have any balls and will not say anything otherwise. He is afraid Tiger will say ok fine I will only play in 3 tournaments in the States then and play the rest over seas. Hootie should be the commissioner and s*** would get done correctly and smartly. Power corrupts and money talks.

i'm sure that Stevie is a very good caddie but i think Tiger could win with anyone on the bag, he just gets along best with Stevie. Stevie has a dream job and i hope he appreciates it. let him go caddie for one of the arses on tour for a week as a wake up call.

i don't know about him breaking the rules but if he is he should be fined.

...man it was tough reading these replies. some people just don't get it.

it's not about valvoline! it's not about the sponsorship! it's not about the money!

it is about him taking off his uniform prior to the end of play!!! and no i've never seen other caddies do this. you're right in that the commissioner doesn't have the sack to say anything so this minor infractions goes without fuss.

in the end it is a minor deal, but i guess that kind of stuff just bugs me, and i'll tell you why. if pat perez's caddy took off his bib before reaching the house, i can guarantee you both of them would be fined. that's all this thread was really meant to point out.

no one has yet proved that a tournament rule is being broken. and i doubt we ever will... but if there wasn't a rule stating you had to wear it at all times during competition, why would caddies put them on in the first place? they're meant to be worn. if you use this most basic form of logic you'd, eventually see my point.

that's it. stay tuned for my upcoming post on phil's pants.

cobra bio cell pro / diamana white 72x
nike covert 2.0 /15*/ grafalloy blue 75x
titleist 910h/18*/diamana 90x
wilson fg tour v2 / 3-pw / x100
ping hoofer / titleist prov1x
cameron studio stainless laguna 2.5

This is the most irrelevant and non-value added thread that I have ever read on this or any other site in the history of golf blogs... close seconds are who wears a watch while playing and the one about having a mismatching headcover to your driver.

That is certainly one opinion.

I'll just remind you, you don't have to read it or participate.

You guys are hilarious getting worked up about what Stevie wears on course maybe spend some time working on your games instead of worrying about what colour underwear Stevie is wearing....

Says the man sitting on his laptop on a Sunday morning ;) (I have to be here at work)

I agree with the original post, it all boils down to arrogance and Williams has always displayed that since he became Woods caddy. He just thinks he should get special treatment. Sorry Steve at the end of the day you are just a bag carrier and Woods would have won as many majors with any other caddy.

I agree 100% with this. Hes a Caddy. I find it a bit much that he takes off his bib.

Angelo never got to do any of this. Nor would he have tried (or have been permitted to, i also feel).

You guys are hilarious getting worked up about what Stevie wears on course maybe spend some time working on your games instead of worrying about what colour underwear Stevie is wearing....

Says the man sitting on his laptop on a Sunday morning ;) (I have to be here at work)

I agree with the original post, it all boils down to arrogance and Williams has always displayed that since he became Woods caddy. He just thinks he should get special treatment. Sorry Steve at the end of the day you are just a bag carrier and Woods would have won as many majors with any other caddy.

I agree 100% with this. Hes a Caddy. I find it a bit much that he takes off his bib.

Angelo never got to do any of this. Nor would he have tried (or have been permitted to, i also feel).

I find it offensive that race (Anglo) has to come up in the discussion.

Ohhhhh, Angelo....sorry, I don't know who the hell that is.

Man, you'd think he takes down his pants, drops some seed on the 18th green, and then runs around a** slapping everyone.

There's a term we use in the military "rank has its privileges". He is on the bag of the #1 golfer in the world, perhaps even of all time (we'll see how he ends up against Jack's record). Therefore, he has the rank, and uses his privilege. If you don't like it, turn the TV off after they tee off on #18 with the victory locked up.

By the way, to the guy who didn't get the joke...Anglo is just missing an "e" to become Angelo. A simple play on words.

WITB:
Driver: Taylormade SIM 2  
3W: Honma TR21  
4-6: Honma TR-21V  

7-10: Honma TR21B  
52*: Vokey 52F
58*: Vokey 58D
64*: Vokey 64M (62 bent to 64)
Putter: Depends on the day and which ones are in time out
Ball: ProV1x