Torrey Threesome

Kfouts23

Hello all, I'm very new to the site and this is my first post. I know that there are a few other threads that deal with how to get on Torrey Pines for out of towners, but they all seem to deal with individuals trying to get on as a single. Apparently that's not overly difficult. The reason I'm requesting some pointers here is that I'll be with a threesome, not just trying to get on by myself. I know that there are several of you out there in the GolfWRX world that could possibly share some invaluable knowledge with me in regards to how to get our chance to play the South. We'll be there on Friday February 21st so it's a weekday. What time would you suggest we arrive in order to have a legitimate chance of getting to play. I'm sure

In advance, thank you so much for any advice you can give :)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kfouts,

I played there about 2 months ago on vacation as a single and showed up around 5a. It appeared to be way earlier than I needed to (as a single) and I ended up being 4[sup]th[/sup] in line. Had I been with a 4some I would have had no problem getting out. Things change with the weather and the season but I would imagine it would be a similar situation…perhaps get there around 430a and you should be golden. Hopefully someone else on the dawn patrol can chime in.

[quote name='snpcrk121' timestamp='1392049505' post='8636673']
Kfouts,

I played there about 2 months ago on vacation as a single and showed up around 5a. It appeared to be way earlier than I needed to (as a single) and I ended up being 4[sup]th[/sup] in line. Had I been with a 4some I would have had no problem getting out. Things change with the weather and the season but I would imagine it would be a similar situation…perhaps get there around 430a and you should be golden. Hopefully someone else on the dawn patrol can chime in.
[/quote]

How much did it end up costing you to walk on?? Surely worth the money though of course!!

44.5" X Flex Student Loans up my-
Mizzy MP650 13.5 DI8x
S3 Pro MB 3-GW 130 X
Tour Trusty RF Proto 55, 60
Ontic Signature Series II Blade
Sun Mountain Swift X

Hey Golden Bear, rack rates right now are $229 normal/$137 twilight (South Course) and $125 normal/$75 twilight (North Course). This will be the first time I'll pay over $200 (possibly) for a course, but when you can cross one off the bucket list, that stuff just goes out the window. It'll be well worth the memories either way!

Are there any Torrey Pines regulars out there?? The trip is coming up quick (next week) and any insight would be so helpful. I suppose we could try to figure it out on our own, but some inside knowledge would be awesome. Also, just to add to it a bit, if we wanted to play twilight as opposed to first thing in the morning would that be possible if our threesome showed up mid-morning? We haven't decided if it'll be dawn patrol or twilight we go for, but again, someone with first hand knowledge would be so helpful.

Thanks again!!!

San Diego local who took a half day last Friday and went out and played T. North (It's in tremendous shape right now btw). I would recommend that you get there as early as possible and go out in the morning. The course get's pretty jammed up around twilight with people who are looking to play it at a reduced rate. With the length of daylight being what it is right now and the amount of competition out there I would recommend to go out early. in the morning.

If you wanted to try to play during twilight get there around 11a,m and tell them to put you on the list for first available after twilight rates take effect. Realistically you'll most likely be teeing off closer to 1:30-2pm which means you wont be finishing 18. Since your going to paying money anyways, just bite the bullet and show up early and get your moneys worth.

Hopefully that helped.

I agree. Get there early. Don't mess with twilight. You could call ahead and reserve a tee time, but it's going to cost extra.

Good luck. Play smart out of the rough.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero with Rogue Max
Cobra F6 Baffler
Ping g30 19*, 22*, 26* hybrids
Cobra Forged Tec 6i-GW
Ping Glide WS 54* and 60*
Evnroll ER7

When you show up at 5 make sure you line your bags up on the back porch (right side) near the cashiers booth. That is the priority order that is set for the day. I have played there 3 times including in December and I did the same thing and was first on the tee that day. Ahhhhh memories...I want to cry now (this winter sucks)

It's a great track! Very walkable and very enjoyable! I can't wait to go back!

[quote name='AP2 712' timestamp='1392336974' post='8663241']
When you show up at 5 make sure you line your bags up on the back porch (right side) near the cashiers booth. That is the priority order that is set for the day. I have played there 3 times including in December and I did the same thing and was first on the tee that day. Ahhhhh memories...I want to cry now (this winter sucks)

It's a great track! Very walkable and very enjoyable! I can't wait to go back!
[/quote]

Thanks AP2! That's very helpful. Did you go by yourself or with a group? What time did you show up?

One last question that someone may be able to answer for me. When we get there really early in the morning and put our bag in the line, what time should we be back up to where the bags are? It'll be chilly so we'll be sitting in the car, just wonder when to get back up there to confirm our position. Also, is the "cashiers booth" easy to find in the dark when you've never been on the premises? Just don't want to get stuck setting my bag somewhere thinking we're good only to find out that I've put it in the wrong place.

Ok that's 2 questions, but this is all going down in 2 days, and I'm sweating the last minute details!!! Thank you!!

Stay with your clubs! Why would you ever leave them unattended an be hundreds of yards away in a car? Also, it's going down to 55 degrees in San Diego in 2 days. Wear a sweatshirt and man up!

The cashier is on the back porch of the sort of clubhouse/pro shop. If you miss it, you should not be allowed to play!

HA! Point taken and thanks for the pep talk :) Like I said, I've never been there so I didn't realize that this place was hundreds of yards away from the lot. If that's the case I'll use my buddy's clubs!

I'm glad that this cashier's place will stick out. I've just seen it written that you line the bags up near the starters place, maybe it's the same as what you're referring to. Considering you were just there in December, I'll follow your lead!

Thanks again AP, you've been a great help. Friday morning can't get here quick enough.

From the parking lot, walk past the two putting greens and the Rolex clock, then up the steps and down the breezeway. You'll be on the back deck where the starters booth is, he is also the cashier. They have lights so you can find your way. It's not going to be "cold", a sweater or wind-shirt should be fine. I would stay with your bag and enjoy the atmosphere and chit chat with others. There's no way I would leave any clubs unattended, they may not be there when you come back. Have a good time!

[quote name='AP2 712' timestamp='1392844714' post='8703915']
Back porch on the right. Can't miss it!

Why are you so paranoid???????????????
[/quote]

Basically because I don't want to eff this up that's why :) Like I said, this will be my first foray into a bucket list course and obviously trying to get on this particular track takes a bit of local knowledge. I have zero, which is why your comments are much appreciated. If it were TPC Scottsdale or Troon North here in AZ (can you tell why I'm thinking it'll be "chilly") I'd have none of these questions.

Thanks DrMjr for the directions! We're all really looking forward to the experience, and will heed the no clubs left behind warning!

I have attached a really crappy image, but you should be able to follow that red line, assuring no screw ups. If you show up between 4-5am there will probably already be a few people there, so you should be able to find them and figure out where to put your bag. The side closest to the cashier is the front of the line. Regarding staying with your bag, I think that is very unnecessary. The only people there in the morning are going to be likeminded golfers, no one is going to steal your stuff (but maybe there are horror stories I have not heard). You also don’t need all of your clubs in your bag, so maybe toss a few in the trunk. Each bag represents a 4some so only one person in your group needs to bring their bag to the lineup. I would go sit in my car after showing up and get to the booth 20 minutes or so before sun-up. There will be other people there doing the same thing, so just follow the leader when other people start leaving their cars. Or you can stand around on the deck and wait there for 2 hours.

[quote name='snpcrk121' timestamp='1392848792' post='8704319']
I have attached a really crappy image, but you should be able to follow that red line, assuring no screw ups. If you show up between 4-5am there will probably already be a few people there, so you should be able to find them and figure out where to put your bag. The side closest to the cashier is the front of the line. Regarding staying with your bag, I think that is very unnecessary. The only people there in the morning are going to be likeminded golfers, no one is going to steal your stuff (but maybe there are horror stories I have not heard). You also don’t need all of your clubs in your bag, so maybe toss a few in the trunk. Each bag represents a 4some so only one person in your group needs to bring their bag to the lineup. I would go sit in my car after showing up and get to the booth 20 minutes or so before sun-up. There will be other people there doing the same thing, so just follow the leader when other people start leaving their cars. Or you can stand around on the deck and wait there for 2 hours.
[/quote]

Thanks Snpcrk121! No way to miss it now! I may have just been lucky enough to get a chance at a real tee time which would be fantastic, but if not, this map helps a ton. I appreciate you posting again! Enjoy the rest of your week!