2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Its official....!

RWEEKS

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely think the first thing to go is the ProV1X, whether he has Cally clubs in the bag or not. He was one of the players who complained publicly about the 2nd and 3rd generation Xs "falling out of the sky" and not holding their line in the wind. It seemed that, since Titleist couldn't/didn't make him a ball he was happy with, he went looking for something else. And you know Callaway, of all the companies, is willing to work/modify equipment for their marquee players. Just look at Phil...

Vapor Pro 9.5° Aldila Tour Green 65 TX
VR Pro Ltd 15º Fubuki Tour 73 X
Idea Proto 20º X100
Vapor Pro Combo (4-5) Blade (6-PW) C Taper 130 X
RTX 4 Raw 52°|56º|60° DGTI S400
Byron Morgan 006 Stainless

It's very likely that Titleist did not want to renew his contract, after all he's not exactly been setting the golfing world on fire of late.

Which of the top ten players in the world play titliest equipment (clubs, not balls)? They had one, now they have none.

adam scott is in the top ten. he plays titleist.

Good call! :) I don't know how I missed that. ;)

Look at the players who have left Titleist in recent years and gone on to better things.... Phil Mickelson, Paul Casey, Sergio Garcia and the reasons they left.....

Phil needed the $$ but has won 3 majors after doing so, Casey got mis-quoted in the press, but has come out stronger and storming Nike's profile in Europe and Sergio was a swap deal, and yes he hasn't won a major yet but he's a much better player now than he was 3 years ago... Now Ernie has fallen out with Titleist, and maybe this is the restart of him winning majors again... Els is looking a nice e/w wager for the Masters and The Open...

It seems nobody leaves Titleist on good terms, they are certainly the most difficult manufacturer to deal with on tour (if your not a tour player) and now they don't have a superstar player on the books....seems a bit odd to me....

It's pretty simple economics. Titleist does not pay fat contracts, all the other major OEMs do. So while there is a lot of speculation about golf ball performance, who has more to offer in equipment (Callaway does not), who is more friendly, bad terms, etc.....bottom line is when contracts are being renegotiated the likes of TW, EE, PM, Sergio are not looking for less money, they want more and they will get it, just not from Titleist.

PM, and Sergio are tough horses to bet on... on any given week they can either look like a stud or a fool.

What is going to be your reaction if a salesman tries to shill you a putter by saying, "this is the same putter Sergio uses!" Wow gee it works so well for him maybe it can help me miss more 4 footers! NO THANKS!

The other day I saw a commercial with Phil telling me how easy his new driver is to hit straight. Then I turn the channel and watch him loose ANOTHER tournament by parking his ball in the rough. MMMMM smell that, credibility!

And now we have EE, the big EEEEEEasy... so easy I'm not sure he's alive. The guys just comes off as so dull. Ambien maybe, golf clubs not really. Or maybe blood pressure meds, with those red cheeks the brother looks like he could pop at any minute.

What we are seeing is Callaway's last attempts to stay out of someone elses hands. When was the last time they turned a profit? really...

I think titleist is playing it smart... in this day unless your Tiger your everyone else. They are investing in the future without too much wagered.

It's very likely that Titleist did not want to renew his contract, after all he's not exactly been setting the golfing world on fire of late.

Which of the top ten players in the world play titliest equipment (clubs, not balls)? They had one, now they have none.

Isn´t there a player called Tiger or something who is using some kind of a Titleist putter?

;)

Adam Barr just reported that Callaway told him there is no deal signed with EE as of yet.

Titleist told him that they are done with Ernie.

So as of now EE is a free agent... hmmmmmm.

I'm not buying that from the golf channel. EE is smarter than that you think he would give up getting paid by Titleist to sit idol while he's looking for a company ;)

look at this:http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/02/27/sports/NA-SPT-GLF-US-PGA-Notebook.php

mcca

Golf Channel's Golf Central just announced that Callaway indicates that there is no deal, although there has been speculation on the Internet (read Golfwrx).

Ernie as an independent would be even better than Callaway, lets see what he really wants to play. For the short term he doesn't need the money IMHO.

It's pretty simple economics. Titleist does not pay fat contracts, all the other major OEMs do. So while there is a lot of speculation about golf ball performance, who has more to offer in equipment (Callaway does not), who is more friendly, bad terms, etc.....bottom line is when contracts are being renegotiated the likes of TW, EE, PM, Sergio are not looking for less money, they want more and they will get it, just not from Titleist.

Why do you assume that Titleist does NOT pay BIG money on Tour Players? What is your basis for thinking that?

I can tell you that Titleist pays MORE $$$$ for ball contracts and putter contracts than anybody out there.

As far as Titleist offering more in equipment than Callaway? WHAT! Please enlighten me.

DSquared.

PM, and Sergio are tough horses to bet on... on any given week they can either look like a stud or a fool.

What is going to be your reaction if a salesman tries to shill you a putter by saying, "this is the same putter Sergio uses!" Wow gee it works so well for him maybe it can help me miss more 4 footers! NO THANKS!

The other day I saw a commercial with Phil telling me how easy his new driver is to hit straight. Then I turn the channel and watch him loose ANOTHER tournament by parking his ball in the rough. MMMMM smell that, credibility!

And now we have EE, the big EEEEEEasy... so easy I'm not sure he's alive. The guys just comes off as so dull. Ambien maybe, golf clubs not really. Or maybe blood pressure meds, with those red cheeks the brother looks like he could pop at any minute.

What we are seeing is Callaway's last attempts to stay out of someone elses hands. When was the last time they turned a profit? really...

I think titleist is playing it smart... in this day unless your Tiger your everyone else. They are investing in the future without too much wagered.

Doesn't sound like you are a Callaway fan!

In your opinion who is more popular Adam Scott or Ernie Els? Who has produced more?

DSquared.

Why do you assume that Titleist does NOT pay BIG money on Tour Players? What is your basis for thinking that?

I can tell you that Titleist pays MORE $$$$ for ball contracts and putter contracts than anybody out there.

As far as Titleist offering more in equipment than Callaway? WHAT! Please enlighten me.

DSquared.

It's not an assumption, it's fact. Titleist told everyone who asked why they let Tiger go that no player is bigger than the brand. When a Titleist contract player thinks they are doing well and popular, they ask to renegotiate, and what ends us happening is Titleist telling the player there will be no pay raise and if the player does not want to honor the contract then another OEM can buy the contract out. It went that way with Tiger, then Sergio, then Phil, and now Els. I am sure I am leaving others out.

Of course Titleist pays more $ for balls/putters, it's called protecting the brand. And that's why player contracts for the full bag don't get out of hand. Phil was making $4M a year, he wanted more, Titleist said no. What more proof do you need?

I didn't say Titleist offered more equipment that Callaway. Someone earlier posted that Callaway has more options, I disagree. Outside of a square driver, what does Callaway have to offer that Titleist does not? Conversely, what Titleist has to offer by way of putters is far better than Odyssey. Can you imagine the pressure Cally puts on PM when he was winning with the Scotty Napa?

Consider yourself enlightened.

Isn´t there a player called Tiger or something who is using some kind of a Titleist putter?

;)

Sure is, send me a link from the titliest website that lists' him as a staff player. Better yet, try and find one from the Cameron site. If a player using a SC putter makes them a titliest player, then they own half the PGA.

Doesn't sound like you are a Callaway fan!

In your opinion who is more popular Adam Scott or Ernie Els? Who has produced more?

DSquared.

Actually I have two Callaway clubs in my bag, play a Callaway ball in the wind (it definitely holds a line better than a prov1, but scuffs much worse... heck maybe when the usga steals my grooves I won't have this problem), and I formally played Callaway irons.

I play what works. I don't make equipment decisions based on tour play.

I agree that Ernie HAS produced more than Adam. And Ernie HAS had more fans. I do think that Adam WILL accomplish more and most definitely WILL be more popular. And I think this is what Titleist is betting on.

At the level these guys are at , it really does not matter what equipment they use, they will have something made that works, it may take a little time, but like someone said, Ernie has won with Taylormade, Titleist and now he will win using Callaway.

Good for Callaway and good for Ernie, he is a big namer and can demand the big bucks, he will do just fine no matter what OEM he is playing.

I didn't say Titleist offered more equipment that Callaway. Someone earlier posted that Callaway has more options, I disagree. Outside of a square driver, what does Callaway have to offer that Titleist does not? Conversely, what Titleist has to offer by way of putters is far better than Odyssey. Can you imagine the pressure Cally puts on PM when he was winning with the Scotty Napa?

That was me. I was thinking that if Callaway used Hogan as a "custom club" division, they would have something to offer Els (or any other pro) that Titleist doesn't. In turn, they could offer us the chance to play the same custom clubs as Els if we chose to take the route.

I think with Callaway's $$ and the Hogan name, they have a great opportunity. Adding a top pro like Els to that combination could be really big.

CARLSBAD, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 28, 2007--Callaway Golf

Company (NYSE: ELY) today announced it has reached an agreement with

PGA and European Tour player Ernie Els. The terms of the contract are

not being disclosed.

It is expected that Els, 37, will begin his endorsement by playing

the Callaway HX Tour 56 golf ball, carrying a Callaway Golf Bag and

wearing the Callaway logo on the sides and back of his cap. Els will

work with Callaway Golf to determine which metal woods, irons, wedges

and putter best suit his game.

"I'm extremely excited to partner with Callaway Golf because of

its ongoing product innovation and commitment to making the game of

golf better for golfers," said Els. "I am always looking to improve my