Anyone play the early 90's Lynx Parallax Irons?

Mugnut

got any photos of those '93 Parallax Irons? Perhaps I can check with R&D to see if we have built anything equivalent or have anything coming out. I know we have a few new Lynx irons coming out in the near future.

Heres a pic of a set I have. I dont hit them anymore. But have until this year. Bought them new in 93. I'm hitting Ping G10s now. These clubs served me well over the years. I reshafted them with steel stiff 1 inch over and currenty have Winn grips on the.

Clubs005.jpg">

• 2 weeks later...
I bought these on Ebay about 3 year ago. They say tour design the cat logo is not colored. Anyone know anything about these. They seem to be rarely used and shafts (s400) and grips seem fairly new.

They were made in 1992. They were a less offset more traditionally shaped version of the normal Parallax. Supposedly Fred Couples played those and not the regular Parallax, but I don't that it's ever been confirmed.

Actually I take it back. Now that I look at them again, those aren't the 1992 Tour Design, and I'm not exactly sure what they are. The 1992 Tour design was the first model that Lynx used the cat logo in the cavity instead of the parallel line logo shown on your club. So yours would have to be from 1991 or earlier. But I've taken a look at the Maltby Club Guide which does a pretty good job of cataloging the normal retail lines of companies going back to 1950, and there is nothing on any other set of Tour Designs in there. Nor do they appear on Ironfinder.com which has a pretty good list of all the different models of Parallax irons. So they remain an unknown.

For years, there were rumors that tour players didn't like the initial Parallax design of the 1980s, so Lynx made a forged players cavity for them and just slapped the Parallax logo on them. It's possible these could be something like that or some other limited edition from the late 1980s/early 1990s.

You could tell more from a face on shot of the club, but those irons look like they were designed to lure Ping Eye 2 users, which seemed to be about half of all thee players out there back then. The youngsters don't realize how many sets of Pings there were out there in the 80s. Lynx was really pushing to become a mainstream brand, so it wouldn't surprise me if they had a few different options for trying to help Ping players "transition" over to a new set.

I'll confess that I have a set of the original Parallax irons from the late 80s down in the basement....the set with the very funky high notch at the base of the top line. Every time I look at that old set I get that "What was I thinking?" feeling. I feel the same way when I look at the old Callaway S2H2 fairway wood too. Callaway could have stuck one of those white discs on top and called it a "one ball", but I don't think the disc would fit...

I was given a set of Lynx Black Cats about 12 years ago that sat in my closet until this year when I finally started playing. Ive played about 30 rounds this year with them, and I have gone from a 35 handicap to a 19 in 10 months. They are pretty good, although I am looking for a new set and demoed about 6 brands. Some of the newer clubs feel so much nicer to hit, more solid/heavier, bigger sweet spot. I probably could continue to improve with these clubs, but hitting the other irons make me want to upgrade for next season. Although I have to say the Black Cat Gap wedge (52deg) which is labeled with a "D" i think it stands for didactic, is my favorite club to hit. The shape is a bit different and just looks and feels perfect. I may keep that as my gap wedge even if I purchase a new set.

• 2 months later...
I'll confess that I have a set of the original Parallax irons from the late 80s down in the basement....the set with the very funky high notch at the base of the top line. Every time I look at that old set I get that "What was I thinking?" feeling. I feel the same way when I look at the old Callaway S2H2 fairway wood too. Callaway could have stuck one of those white discs on top and called it a "one ball", but I don't think the disc would fit...

NPVWhiz, do you still have those Parallax, I would be very interested in them. Could you post a picture?

• 3 months later...

I have had a set since... 1999 in 1998 I found a new set and played those for years. Currently I am trying out some eye2's as with the white dot they suppossedly fit my swing better but. My Parallax with rifles are hard to beat.

Though to be fair I do use tour edge long iron hybrids on nippon 950 shafts. And prefer those to the Parallax irons.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I still have my set that I played for well over 6 years; also have a '96 Lynx Staff Bag & matching wood headcovers. I refinished the heads a few years back and am contemplating a shaft change. I take them out a few times each year for fun. Still as nice a standard size cavity back as one could wish for. "Old school" lofts, but really not much distance loss. Definitely the best thing Lynx golf ever put out.

Bought a set of the original 'Flare' steel shaft Black Cats back in '96 but like a dope sold them about 12 months ago - were in immaculate condition too!

Still have a set of Black Cat Tour NiCr's that see regular use along with the red Lynx stand bag I also bought back in '96.

I live in Australia these days, but still have a set of steel 'Flare' Black Cats stashed in the UK for when I am back there on holidays.

I really loved the '90's Lynx gear ....................... !!!!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

This is my first post to this forum, I just ran across this site this morning after doing a google search for lynx irons....What a great thread! One of the great advantages of the internet, this conversation has spanned over four years!

Ok to my questions, I just got back late last night from a vacation in Florida where I didn't take my clubs with me. When I was down there I went to a local course and ask to borrow a loaner set expecting to get some banged-up McGregors from the 80's. They handed me a bag which included a unique set of irons that had a real funny "square-face" look and a aggressive offset, they were Lynx brand. I had never played a set of Lynx irons and had only heard of the name by browsing through a Golfsmith in years past. Anyway, without even hitting the range I set out for my round. This is not an exageration, I literally played on of the best rounds of my life!!! I thought it was a fluke so I went back two days later to the same course and requested to use the same set...I played even better! I have never hit an iron shot like this in my life. I loved the look, feel, an offset of these irons!! I know they're old-school and from a second rate manufacturerer but who cares!

My question to you all is this, I'm about a 18 handicap and since college have devoted all my free time to my career, so I've only been playing about 10 rounds a year or even less some years. I have never played another set of irons since I got my current set in 1996 when I was in high school! This current set was a customed built component club set by a manufacturer named Dynacraft. I've always been under the opinion that the problem is NEVER the clubs, it's always the swing. So I have battled with these irons for over 13 years with no success and thought that I was destined to be a terrrible iron player....that is until I hit these Lynx Parallax clubs. I've only been home from my vacation a few hours now and I'm ready to trash my current set of irons and buy a set of lynx parallax or a forged/offset/cavity back that is similar.

From doing a little research it sounds like a lot of people compare these irons to the Ping Eye 2's. Which set should I buy the lynx set or the Ping's? I've found what seem to be great deals for either set on Ebay already.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a set 2-SW green (2 up) from local pro shop in 93-94? Set was made for a local pro and had X100's. Played well with them until shoulder surgery in'97. Had a friend reshaft them w/S300's. Did a crap job. Contacted Lynx and they reshafted w/X100's but put flare S labels on them. Think the fall of Lynx started when Els went to TM. Asked him about it at Bay Hill and he honestly said it was just the money. Freddies clubs were same as mine, but he had multiple colors. Used Black Cats on Thursday for Darryl Survey, then back to Parallax rest of week. Was Assistant Chairman for Caddy Committee 90-98 and saw all the bags. They tried to stay in business adding some PGA and SPGA players (Gil Morgan) but still went under and Golfsmith bought them out. Reworked my game in 2003 and changed to Maxfli Tour Limited Forged. Same kind of nice looking CB that plays like a blade but less offset. Subsequently went to Tommy Armour Silver Scot Tour Blades w/Rifle 6.0 and lately to Tommy Armour 845m's w/Rifle 5.5 PX. Threw some new grips on the Parallax's @2 months ago, but the X's are too stiff. All are still perfect except SW that I tried to polish cavity w/wrong material so it has a light rust coat. After rrading all this, may reshaft them w/5.5 PX and give them a try. Freddie was still using his in the Skins games until he went to TM 300's, which he's used in Skins games even after going to Bridgestone. PGA Value Guide ruined resale of these w/@$100 value. Not selling mine. If I don't use them they'll be mounted on wall above autographed picture and Lynx Visor Freddie gave me. The Maxfli Revolution (Black Dot) or Tommy Armour SilverBack 845c's would be close, but the TA's have very little offset and are forged. Just gave a set of 845cs (cavity back non-forged cast steel) to a charity tournament. They have more offset than the forged and original retail was $375. Get those or the c's cheap on Ebay. Have one set of 845c's, 2 sets of 845cm's and my 845m's, along with 3 sets of Tommy Armour Silver Scot Tour Blades and 3 sets of Silver Scot CB'. All with Rifle Flighted 5.0 or 6.0. All either new or like new. Will be selling on Ebay soon.

• Thanks 1

I loved my lynx parallax. Over the years the I found the cleveland ta3's and TM Burner LCG's to be very similar. Of the newer clubs I have hit, the most similar I have found are MacGregor MT PRO C (which can be had very cheap new right now) and Mizunu MP57's. Though if memory serves, those two models don't have quite as much offset.

... Just wait til you guys see the new forged Lynx LX Tour MC irons. They will finally put Lynx back in the game in a very big way. Quality is right there with the best Oems on the market and performance is just awesome. In have been playing them a couple months now and will post a review with pictures very soon.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

• 3 months later...

My friend got a set of the early 90s Parallax shafted with R300s for free. I have hit them rarely, but today I finally hit some shots with them. Wow, they feel better than my Hogan Apex blades when hit dead center. Im testing my yardages with the 8 iron tomorrow. I suspect that, when hit solid, these clubs are just phenominal compared to any other iron set.

• Like 1

Wow, a 5 year old thread, hopefully a testament to how good these irons are. Anyway, I stumbled into the forum looking for info on the Lynx Parallax irons. I used to play the "Flare" Black Cat irons about 15 years ago but upgraded to some Mizuno Comp EZ's about 12 years ago and never looked back. So much so, that like an idiot, I gave the Black Cat's to my wife's cousin, who still plays them and loves them. So now my 14 year old wants to take up the game seriously and has grown recently so the very junior set of mis-matched clubs we have won't quite cut it for him. I went out and found a fairly good set of the Parallax irons that an online retailer here in Phoenix was trying to parcel out one club at a time since the set was missing the pitching wedge, but didn't have any takers. I really liked my old Black Cat's so I figured the Parallax irons would probably be good, at least okay for my son. They have the Lynx-lite R steel shafts and the club heads were dirty, but very gentle wear for what I can best guess is a 16 year old set of irons. I knew they'd look really good if I cleaned them up and replaced the grips. So, I offered 25 bucks for them and the guy took me up on it. I think I have a line on some Lynx grips for around $2.00 each, so we'll have some dad-son bonding time re-gripping them in the garage in the next week or so. Even with the slick, dryed up old grips on them, we went out this past weekend to hit them. I must say, they are nice. Straight and long, the 14 year old even hit them well. We'll only re-grip the 5 thru 9, since I'm looking for some hybrids to use instead of the 3 and 4 iron. I think he'll take to the game more seriously if he has some clubs he can actually hit rather than struggle and duff around with the two long irons. So, now onto the qwest for a couple of hybrids, and a replacement PW. Someone in the thread mentioned how similar the Parallax are to the Ping Eye 2's, and I couldn't agree more. Another local retailer of used golf stuff has a Ping Eye 2 pitching wedge, also needing a new grip, for $12.99. If it sits around for another couple weeks or so, I'm thinking I can get it for $6 or $7. Wish me luck on my mission to get someone else in my family addicted to this game of golf.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I bought a set of Ping Eye 2 blue dots with 1/2"+ shafts yesterday & got a set of Ben Hogan persimmons & a set of Lynx Parallax irons thrown in free with them. Mine appear to be very early, they only have made in USA & pat.pend. in the cavity, no parallel lines, no Lynx head. I haven't measured them yet, but, if these are also 1/2" plus, I might like them as well as the Ping's since they are regular flex instead of those ultra stiff ZZ Lites,lol. Wo can tell me something about these pat.pend. models.?

• 1 month later...

I can't believe this thread is still going. I am also the owner and player of these irons. I bought them in the '93/'94 time frame. I remember Golf Digest or Golf Magazine gave these rave reviews. Plus, Freddie was playing them. That was good enough for me to buy them. I've played them ever since. I just bought some new irons. Now, I can't decide if I want to let these go or keep them. If anyone is interested in my set, send me a message. My set is very clean. I've always made sure to clean them regularly.

• 5 months later...

[font="Times New Roman"][/font]I saw this thread and had to join just so I could reply. I just bought some Taylormade Burners, but I've had a set of '93 Lynx Parallax since they were brand new in 1993. In fact I was a poor college student and bounced a $600 check for them at Nevada Bobs. Which ended up costing me over $700 bucks for the clubs after all of my fees! I bought them because of Freddy Couples, like a lot of others.

I still play them to this day. I'm just waiting for my new set of clubs to get here from Dicks Sporting Goods. Then, I'll sadly retire them. So consider 17 years with these babies! With the original shafts too! It is weird for me to pick up new clubs nowadays because they look so fat!

I'll miss these clubs, but maybe when my son is big enough for full-sized clubs I'll hand them down to him. Thanks for reminding me that I'm not the only guy out there with them!

Rob

Well to make up for all the retirements I just started playing a set I picked up a thrift store. Best clubs I have aver hit. I've hit a few clubs (nothing fancy though) and I can't imagine anything else being better. Just missing the 3,P,S. Mine are the first design type with only Parallax, pat pend and usa in the cavity. Also picked up a full set of black cats in a lynx black cat bag at the same store this week. These are accompanied by a lynx 3 wood and a BOOM BOOM 9* driver. I'm all lynxed out... ha ha.
Though I'm using a Titleist driver,3,5 woods.

• 1 month later...

They are and have been great clubs. I have an earlier post on them. I got swindled into mine. Went to a local Pro Shop and the owner had ordered green dots (2* up) and +1/2". Had made a deal with my Ex. She'd buy the irons for $400 and I'd have a new front door and screen door installed. I paid for the irons thinking she'd pay me back. Wow, she loved the doors. Never mentioned the irons for the rest of our marriage!

They are great irons and Freddy played these as well as Ernie early. Even after the Black Cats came out, Freddy had his mixed dot set of Parallax's in his bag after the Darrel Survey saw BC's in his bag Thursday at Bay Hill (94/95?). Freddy was still playing them in some of the off season Skins games.

I tried mine again recently but don't have the umph to hit X-100's anymore. Just a note, these were sort of inovative. It was said that they played more like a forged blade than anything at the time. It was also said they were the most difficult irons to hit unless you were a single digit. I was 4 when I played them and really enjoyed them. Still sitting in a bag in my Rec Room

My last post in this topic was a little over a year ago. An update is in order.

Last spring I replaced my beloved Lynxs with a set of G15s. My Lynxs are now semi-retired, grazing the pasture and occasionally servicing a few local mares. In all honesty, I don't know that I gained anything with the so-called upgrade, but I do know this...My Lynx clubs are mine forever. They aren't going anywhere.

And I still don't wear a glove...

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

New guy but avid reader, great forum.

There must be some reason why this thread never dies...As background I am a 15 HC and currently play Burner 09 irons, have been serious (5-7 rounds per mo) for about the last year.

Last week went on a quick holiday and borrowed these clubs from a friend who told me the kids use them to play around the yard! Yikes..
Time was short so I ended up with the Lynx parallax (white cat, made in the USA) 5-9 irons just to get out there, never heard of Lynx before. Oh well, at least its golf.

What a revelation! It was like throwing darts, so buttery feeling, accurate and a penetrating mid flight. I am still in shock that a 20 year old club can feel better than the new stuff I have. By the end of the round ( shot 81) I am shooting and hitting tight pins. It is still hard to believe the feeling of hitting clubs this way something I never felt with my 09s.

I would like to explore irons that could mirror these in feel, any suggestions on which current irons would play similarly?

• Like 1