2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Anyone play the early 90's Lynx Parallax Irons?

Mugnut

• 5 months later...

ijust scored a set from play it again sports for 20$ !! for this price i could not pass them up. these have a more traditional look to them and not the square-ish look with offset that i remember. they must have changed them some where in the model run . i see both kinds on ebay. i wanted the early models but for the $ -what the heck. i will game them after i add 1 inch to the shafts. i am tall and need extra long shafts

73 hogan apex

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Mugnut' timestamp='1127408624' post='40380']
I've gone back to my Lynx Parallax irons (circa '93) so many times after flirting with other irons. Anyone used to play these too? Smallish heads, thinnish topline, cavity backs with some offset there to help. Of all the irons I've ever had, they have given me perhaps the most consistent, medium but penetrating ballflight with just a hint of a draw.

Mine are pretty banged up, missing the 9 iron and generally not in good shape. The old LynxLite shafts are probably not quite right for me now either. They're a backup set now.

I suppose i could buy a set used (but it's hard to find 'em in good shape) and re-shaft them with something modern.

Does anyone familiar with these know of a similar iron out there these days?
[/quote]

Thats funny that you should bring that up about Lynx Parallax clubs I bought a set and simply loved them I was just as much a club ho then as I am now which led me to make a bet with my golfing buddies, I told them I would play my Lynx for a whole year and not change they all scoffed at that so I made a bet that I would give 5 to 1 odds on a $100.00 bet that I would not change irons for a whole year. Five of them jumped on the bet,I knew it would be the easiest $500.00 i would ever make. I made it through that year it was tough but I made it. I collected my $500.00 at the end of the year and promptly went down to the golf store and picked out a new set of irons. But I will always miss them they were great. I also still have the White Visor with Freddy Couples autograph on it that they gave away when you bought a new set. Thanks for the memories.

• 1 month later...

i just got an older set of the original desighn parallax irons in becu w/graphite shafts. gamed them today for the first time-great clubs -way better than the later redesighned model. like them better than the ping eye 2. the becu feels awesume. flushed shots feels almost like forged clubs. i plan to sell my later model set now. they should never have changed them. the original is tons better

73 hogan apex

I owned three different sets, all of them the pre-Golfsmith days. All back in the 90s. If you want them, make sure they say "Made in the USA" in the cavity. Those were the best ones. Very difficult to bend, I can tell you that. Great irons, but too much offset for me now. They actually made a few sets of forged versions of that iron. I one set and sent to LYNX to be bent and they "lost" them. They knew what I had and took them. They gave me a custom set of Black Tours, but they sucked and I never player LYNX again.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

not shure anyone realises this but there is a diff between the 80,s and 90,s versions. its the 80,s set that i am liking. i have both and the 90,s version are just ordinary irons-just like any cavity back perrimiter weighted club. i have seen the forged set you mention in pics on ebay. i think fred couples had a hand in them making the tour edition-not shure. sucks that lynx stole yours.

73 hogan apex

• 2 months later...

I can't believe I found this thread. I'm surprised to see so many people hold the old Parallax clubs in such high regard. After 20 yrs my dad finally bought a new set of irons a few days ago and has been trying to sell his Parallax irons (3-SW). I think they are circa '91, they are gunmetal with the Parallax "line" logo in the cavity and in excellent condition. If anybody is interested please send me a PM... will let them go for cheap.

• 1 month later...

I still use mine. New in 1993 so what's that 19 years, lol. I play over 100 rounds a year too and they still look great. I've changed shafts 4 times with the same DG's and many grip changes but these irons will stay in the bag.

Edited by kwcsports

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

• 7 months later...

My wife's grandfather loved golf and when he passed away recently, her family gave me his golf clubs since I play. The clubs include a barely used set of Lynx Parallax irons (with the black cat). They have Lynx PT graphite shafts and the set includes the "Boom Boom" driver and woods. He also had an older set of the original Ping Eye irons (blue dot) that were given to me too.

I take both sets out to the driving range every once in a while. The head shapes of the parallax irons and ping eyes are similar but the black cats have a slimmer topline.

My buddy at work is near scratch and he played parallax irons unitl 2010.

Ping G425 Max driver & fw
Ping G425 hybrids
Ping i25 irons
Odyssey Black Tour #5

Srixon Q Star Tour

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a set from 1990 - 91 in stainless steel. They look like they are an ORANGE Cat label in the cavity, which would make them flatter then the White Cat Label. They have the original Lynx grips, but need to be replaced, Also the irons have the Lynx Lite - Stiff shaft sticker. They were given to me and the set is missing the 9 iron. I've looked for a replacement and have yet to find one for this set. If I found a matching 9 iron I would try and get the lie bent to the White (standard) position, or maybe up 1 degree from that. The shafts are a bit longer then standard. When I received these irons the set did not have a 3 Iron, but for most players don't use a 3 iron. And it either goes out just for the ride in the bag with the set, or stays at home in the closet. I don't see too many guys hitting their 3 iron too often, so that's not too big a deal. The metal of the head is 17-4 stainless and I have read that this type of stainless is a tad more challenging to bend. I've read here in earlier posts that some guys have re-shafted their Lynx Irons and don't know if these were Taper Tips or Parallel tips. If anyone knows where a matching 9 iron can be found I'd be happy to hear the news.

Oh yes I can remember them well. Nice irons as I even had a set of the Black Cats which I even liked better.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Decided to post here after seeing this thread come up on a Google search. I currently play with a majority of I believe the same black Parallax above me. (Will look when I get home) They are my dad's old clubs from when he last played in the 90s. Ive replaced a few clubs in the set like the driver and woods, but I still use the 3-pw and love the set. Dont think I would ever buy another set of irons. I'll post pics later, but here's pics of the old driver and woods.

nrZDrmZ.jpgeI7AMmq.jpg

[quote name='SCOTT4099' timestamp='1440796803' post='12226396']
Just had a flashback, parallax irons, armour 845s, original dci's, some excellent irons those years......oh yeah ram laser fx forged......all were money!!!!!!
[/quote]

Sadly, iron designs such as 845's, DCI's, and Lynx Parallax are significantly easier to make square contact with, and thus more "forgiving", than today's over sized iron head designs..

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

Wow! Flashback! The one time I ordered a set of irons because Freddie Couples was my favorite player. I loved those things and played well with them. Could have saved myself a lot money if I would have kept them.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

So finally grabbed a picture, are these the same irons you guys were talking about? I have these from 3i to PW and love them. (Although I took the 3 and 4 out of the bag for hybrids) Once again, these were pass-me-downs from my dad and I have zero reason to really replace the remaining irons I use cause I love them. I did replace the woods and hybrids with more modern equivalents based on some recommendations from people.

1793ahe.jpg

So finally grabbed a picture, are these the same irons you guys were talking about? I have these from 3i to PW and love them. (Although I took the 3 and 4 out of the bag for hybrids) Once again, these were pass-me-downs from my dad and I have zero reason to really replace the remaining irons I use cause I love them. I did replace the woods and hybrids with more modern equivalents based on some recommendations from people.Lynx made great irons as I still play them,the Blackcats.The woods from Lynx,I never cared for. The difference I see from these and the newer irons is distance but accuracy for me is what I want. I have tried a lot of irons but keep coming back to the 1995-1996 Blackcats. Hit them good.

1793ahe.jpg

• 1 month later...

[quote name='SCOTT4099' timestamp='1441384104' post='12263384']
These are the ones...
[/quote]

Man this brings back memories. My dad bought a set of these for me used back in 1993 or 1994 if I had to guess. My first set of irons that had even numbered clubs! Before I only have a 5,7 and 9 iron starter set. I loved these clubs! And Freddie was pretty much the man so that helped ? Played them for 4 years or so. Wish I still had them around

I played these for a long time and i loved the look of the thin top line too.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

My dad had a set of them for the longest time...I played the Black Cat Tours through middle and most of high school. I felt super cool.

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator