Bethpage on Tuesday

Hey guys,

Heading over to bethpage on Tuesday. Gonna take the train out and hope to get on the black as a single. I figure by the time I get there at 9:30/10 AM I shouldn't have any trouble getting on the course by at most 2pm.

Anybody have tips? Recent updates on course conditions? Heck, anybody care to join? Love to hear any knowledge you guys can give me!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/[/url]

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Played it last July so course conditions are irrelevant. Went out as a single, was in town visiting my sister in the city so knew I needed to give it a shot to get out there. Got off within 20 minutes, and got paired up with a threesome. Course plays just as quick as any other round. Walked the course and we got around in about 4:15. They do a great job of spacing out the tee times. Always maintained a hole gap between the group in front and the group behind. You'll have a great time, don't get yourself in to more you can handle otherwise it can ruin the great time that can be had on a beautiful course.

TM R1 w/ Axivcore Red Tour X
TM RBZ w/ AD-DI 6X
19* and 22* Super LS Axivcore X
4-9 Mizuno MP67 w/ C-Taper X
Scotty Cameron Newport Buttonback
47, 53, 59 Titleist SM4 Wedges

Played four rounds last week. Greens are rolling out very well, rough is a bit down in some spots so its 50/50 on good lies/bad lies. Overall the course is in fantastic shape and you won't have a problem getting out by youself (I played 36 one day, made a morning tee time and then got right back out 20 minutes after I finished on 18).

[sign here]

[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1402930077' post='9506241']
Thanks! How long was your round? Did you use a caddie, carry, or use a push cart?
[/quote]

Round was less than 4.5 hours. We teed off at 2pm and ended before 6:30pm. We didn't have to wait on any holes except the par 3 17th, which was probably only like 5 minutes. Our foursome either used push carts or carried. I don't think the course was crowded either because there was a lot of rain during the morning.

I've played the Black course once, before I moved up to Westchester. Played the Yellow, Blue and Green many times.

I would not recommend a push cart. I did this thinking it would be easier than walking (typically ride when I play). BIG MISTAKE. I never realized how many elevation changes the Black course had. It was absolutely brutal.

Another note, when you are standing on the 1st tee waiting to tee off and the starter calls you over with scissors in his hands, don't be alarmed. He is supposed to cut off your bracelet before teeing off. (Long story, was embarrassing) :)

have fun!!!

[quote name='italianstallion' timestamp='1402945691' post='9508033']
Played four rounds last week. Greens are rolling out very well, rough is a bit down in some spots so its 50/50 on good lies/bad lies. Overall the course is in fantastic shape and you won't have a problem getting out by youself (I played 36 one day, made a morning tee time and then got right back out 20 minutes after I finished on 18).
[/quote]

Sicko!!!

[quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1402946427' post='9508129']
I've played the Black course once, before I moved up to Westchester. Played the Yellow, Blue and Green many times.

I would not recommend a push cart. I did this thinking it would be easier than walking (typically ride when I play). BIG MISTAKE. I never realized how many elevation changes the Black course had. It was absolutely brutal.

Another note, when you are standing on the 1st tee waiting to tee off and the starter calls you over with scissors in his hands, don't be alarmed. He is supposed to cut off your bracelet before teeing off. (Long story, was embarrassing) :)

have fun!!!
[/quote]

My legs are in pretty good shape but I'm more concerned with the weight being on my back throughout the round. Do you think it would have been more strenuous to carry your back as opposed to a push?

Confession time: I've never carried my bag while playing, and have done a push cart a few times.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/[/url]

[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1402956971' post='9509367']

have fun!!!
[/quote]

My legs are in pretty good shape but I'm more concerned with the weight being on my back throughout the round. Do you think it would have been more strenuous to carry your back as opposed to a push?

Confession time: I've never carried my bag while playing, and have done a push cart a few times.
[/quote]

I've done both on the Black, and both carrying and pushing have their drawbacks. But I'm 25 and I push exclusively on the Black, in fact I'll never carry again on that course. Going up the hills out there stinks regardless of whether you're carrying or pushing, so that's a wash. Going downhill: Advantage push cart because you can just let it fly and then walk without any care in the world. And with a push cart you're going to save your back and shoulders for the critical 15-18 finish where it's absolutely essential to make the best swings you can. And if you finish 18 and want to play again its much easier when you were pushing for that first 18 :derisive:

[sign here]

have fun!!!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Played the Black for the first time a couple of weeks ago and brought my push cart. Had no troubles walking both Red and Black in the same day. Although the fairways on the Black are noticeably thicker and you will feel more rolling resistance than the other courses on site. But if you're just playing Black you wouldn't know the difference unless you just read what I wrote.

[quote name='prorobo' timestamp='1402959612' post='9509571']

have fun!!!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Played the Black for the first time a couple of weeks ago and brought my push cart. Had no troubles walking both Red and Black in the same day. Although the fairways on the Black are noticeably thicker and you will feel more rolling resistance than the other courses on site. But if you're just playing Black you wouldn't know the difference unless you just read what I wrote.
[/quote]

Good to know, thanks!

I think I may panzee out and use a caddy...

[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1402959751' post='9509581']
[quote name='prorobo' timestamp='1402959612' post='9509571']

have fun!!!
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good to know, thanks!

I think I may panzee out and use a caddy...
[/quote]

If you've never carried 18 in your life the Black isn't the place to start :)

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

[quote name='Anser' timestamp='1402973469' post='9511493']

If you've never carried 18 in your life the Black isn't the place to start :)
[/quote]

I had back surgery as a kid from a bike accident, so the less stress the better. Thanks though!

Update! It's beautiful out here. TaylorMade came today with Sergio Garcia. He spent the tee times between 9-10 and teed off with the groups. At the range, they gave away 100 free SLDR S drivers. Behind the first tee box they were handing out tons of balls and hats. Great day so far!

[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1403020090' post='9514897']
Update! It's beautiful out here. TaylorMade came today with Sergio Garcia. He spent the tee times between 9-10 and teed off with the groups. At the range, they gave away 100 free SLDR S drivers. Behind the first tee box they were handing out tons of balls and hats. Great day so far!
[/quote]

That is awesome. Did you get a new driver?

[quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1403039255' post='9517775']
oh, forgot the add.

Giving away TM drivers but can't hit driver on the Bethpage range. Or did they make an exception today?
[/quote]

They made an exception. The way it worked, Sergio walked out to the range and started hitting unannounced. A crowd gathered. Then they started fitting people into the new drivers. It was in this past Sunday's local Long Island paper, Newsday. It said a TM "extravaganza" but the free stuff and Sergio weren't published. They did say "a tour pro coming off the US Open" so there was a small crown ready for something.

Definitely a great course, and a caddy is a must for me. Bought the yardage book too which was very helpful. Always fun walking and talking with someone.

By the way, the caddies at bethpage have a minimum of 4 years of experience before they can caddy at bethpage. That sounded pretty intense to me but both guys in the pro shop told me this. Anyway, the caddy was great and I had an absolutely fantastic experience. Will definitely be going back very soon.