2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Rocco's Comments

Konrad

Limited field event - shut up.
Rocco just had an interview on the Golf Channel saying that anyone that has a problem with Tiger having a limited field event need to shut up. Amen. If you have a problem with it, then play better he said. I agree with these statements. Tom Pernice, especially needs to shut up before he goes and runs his mouth again. Hey, I'm all for having an opinion, but some people just need to stop whining and spend more time practicing instead of biting the hand that feeds them.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't agree more with Rocco, the PGA doens't stand for The People's Golf Association, if you want in work for it and earn it pure and simple.

Now I'm not a Tiger fan boy, but I am a fan and have immense respect for the man.

What he does for the tour, and what he has done has earned him the right to make his event a limited field event.

If you want in, get up there on the money list, don't expect it to be given to you because you feel everyone should be entitled to it.

Good for Tiger, and I was glad to hear Rocco and Phil stand up for him.

yea i would like to have the worst guy on tours swing and paycheck...hahah. i agree with rocco....i have played with him before....great guy from pa.......go steelers!!

Taylor Made M4 Project X HAZRDS
Ping I20 5-pw
Ping Eye 2+ BECU 3,4 iron
Titleist Vokey SM6 54,60
Taylor Made Spider Tour Red putter
Titleist 917f 3 wood

Couldn't agree more. What has Rich Beem done since his major? Zip. Tom Pernice? Never won one. There are a lot of guys that will get in because they play their butt off and are consistently in the top tier. Heck, even Ben Curtis has flashes like this week.

Just play better and the rest will take care of itself.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

If he wants a limited field event, I think that's pretty fair. He's brought a lot to the tour in his 10 years.

Purses tripled in size because of him.

Amen! I remember when Philly Mick was interviewed about Tiger. He said he thanks him everyday for making me a rich man (or something to that effect). It's hard to hate a guy like that who just made you and 100 of your closest friends multi-millionares.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Pernice and Beem are on the player advisory boards and I think they are looking out for all players. Not everyone is in the top 90 players (even if they all practiced as hard as Tiger) and they still need full field events to make a living. The tour already has a number of limited field events and at this time does not need anymore is the point their making. I don't believe it's because it's Tigers event, but because it's a limited field event.

Maybe I'm missing something here but unless it was for Tiger there wouldnt be a tournament being played that weekend...am I correct in that? So, it thats the case then there should be a "limited field" "thanking" Tiger for making it happen. If Pernice doesnt like it, maybe he can host his own tournament and the limited field will be him and Beem.

I'm pretty sure they could have found a sponsor, but I doubt there was much searching. It's great that Tiger is hosting another event but not sure if he should have a limited field. Again, this is the PGA tour not the Tiger tour and if every pga member went on strike then there would be no tournaments for tiger to play in. I understand that will never happen and that tour members should thank tiger for increasing the purses, but don't hurt the sport with another limited field event.

Want to know how they could show it? See title above...just shut about it. Easy as that guys...move on. Spend more time on the range instead of in front of the camera talking about the injustices of it all. I love golf because its pay for play...unlike other sports. Just because you have a card doesnt mean your entitled. As soon as that happens we'll be just like every other sport out there with blowhards choking their coach's, getting busted for performance enhancing drugs, the list goes on....

Your right, 75% of the tour needs to shut up. Beem's and Pernice's job is to listen to the tour players (all of them) and make decsions on behalf of the tour. I also think Love said something about this topic as well (he's also on the board), but there's not a backlash on him becasue he's going to be in the field no matter what. Again, I'm in the minority here so I will "shut up".

So you honestly believe that Beem and Pernice are speaking on behalf of 75% of the tour when they speak. The problem is they are coming across as whine-bags. The message is getting lost in their delivery. My kids get NOTHING when they whine...if they use their big boy words then its different. I suggest they both try that approach. Have you personally read what Beem has said and the tone? I like Beem...when he's playing and not talking. He needs to improve his PR skills....

Your right, 75% of the tour needs to shut up. Beem's and Pernice's job is to listen to the tour players (all of them) and make decsions on behalf of the tour. I also think Love said something about this topic as well (he's also on the board), but there's not a backlash on him becasue he's going to be in the field no matter what. Again, I'm in the minority here so I will "shut up".

You are not in the minority. I too think its great Tiger is hosting a tournament. However, I do understand the other players gripes. Basically a full field event has been replaced with an invitational...that means there is one less tournament for the tour regulars, the grinders if you will, to earn enough to keep their tour cards. Beem and Pernice are just looking out for their constituency, nothing more, nothing less. However, I will say that Pernice has never been good with words. The players would probably be better served by someone who is a little smoother with words.

By the way, is Rocco Mediate even relevant anymore? Last time I saw that guy, he was helping someone at the Mercedes find their ball in the rough. I can't even remember seeing him in tournament recently.

How should the players show him respect? They all say he's the greatest to play, and they all show up to his Disney tournament when asked. How else should they show him respect? Maybe they should allow him to put his name on every tournament (move over Arnie, you need to show respect to Tiger).

What Disney tournament?

The Funai isn't Tiger's tournament by any stretch. Tiger didn't even play this year.

As for limited field, if that is what he wants then I for one, don't see the problem. If player's play well then they're in, if they don't they're not. That simple. It really isn't any different than the cut; the cut is just made prior to the event instead of in the middle. In fact, isn't every field limited? I can't just show up and play in any tournament.

While I think that a well rounded tour is important, I am tired of listening to people whine to protect mediocrity. Shut up and play better, or find a career that you are more skilled at. Great googly moogly - you guys are grown-ups playing a game for a living! Really, if you can't play well enough to make a living on tour, then join the other 99.9% of the human race and get a real job and stop expecting someone else to protect you.

I think Rocco's great, he shoots from the hip and calls a spade a spade.

His comments are definatly relevent, and I happen to agree with them.

There is pretty much a tournement every week for the guys trying to earn money and keep their cards.

IMO if 1 weekend missed playing makes or breaks a player's ability to keep their job...they have a bigger problem that needs to be looked at.(The reality of pro sport)

Btw if I'm not mistaken even the so called "grinders" or "blue collar pros" take time off during the year...if that's the case they'll need to adjust their competition schedule.

(No different than Track and Field or similar sports with "independant contractors")

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

How should the players show him respect? They all say he's the greatest to play, and they all show up to his Disney tournament when asked. How else should they show him respect? Maybe they should allow him to put his name on every tournament (move over Arnie, you need to show respect to Tiger).

What Disney tournament?

The Funai isn't Tiger's tournament by any stretch. Tiger didn't even play this year.

As for limited field, if that is what he wants then I for one, don't see the problem. If player's play well then they're in, if they don't they're not. That simple. It really isn't any different than the cut; the cut is just made prior to the event instead of in the middle. In fact, isn't every field limited? I can't just show up and play in any tournament.

While I think that a well rounded tour is important, I am tired of listening to people whine to protect mediocrity. Shut up and play better, or find a career that you are more skilled at. Great googly moogly - you guys are grown-ups playing a game for a living! Really, if you can't play well enough to make a living on tour, then join the other 99.9% of the human race and get a real job and stop expecting someone else to protect you.

Amen.

Cobra King Ltd Black 10.5º - PX Hzrdous Black
Cobra F8+ 16º - Aldila  NV 2KXV Blue 
Cobra King Utility 18º - Recoil 780 es 
Cobra ACP mb 4-P -TT AMT T.I.
TM MG 50º - DG
TM MG 54º - DG
TM MG 58º - DG
TM Spider Tour Black

I understand that will never happen and that tour members should thank tiger for increasing the purses, but don't hurt the sport with another limited field event.

Can someone explain to me how an exclusive field event, on a big time course, hosted by the biggest name in golf (if not all of sport) hurts golf?

It's hurts the 20 Q-school grads who are at the bottom of the shuffle, while doing nothing but promote the sport of golf even more than it already is. I wouldn't use the bottom 20 of a tour event as example of the negatively affecting the big picture.

This whole thing reeks of just another attempt to drag Tiger's name through the mud.

However, I do understand the other players gripes. Basically a full field event has been replaced with an invitational...that means there is one less tournament for the tour regulars, the grinders if you will, to earn enough to keep their tour cards. Beem and Pernice are just looking out for their constituency, nothing more, nothing less.

You do know there are still events after the Tour Championship? I count 7 tournaments after the end of the championship. How many of the big names will play in these events--if you ask me the lower-tier guys have 7 more opportunities to win and keep their cards. Just don't see the big deal...

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

However, I do understand the other players gripes. Basically a full field event has been replaced with an invitational...that means there is one less tournament for the tour regulars, the grinders if you will, to earn enough to keep their tour cards. Beem and Pernice are just looking out for their constituency, nothing more, nothing less.

You do know there are still events after the Tour Championship? I count 7 tournaments after the end of the championship. How many of the big names will play in these events--if you ask me the lower-tier guys have 7 more opportunities to win and keep their cards. Just don't see the big deal...

You're right...it is not a big deal. I just thought it was funny that Rocco went so agro about the rank and file member comments. Even weirder is how some people are flogging Pernice, even though he didn't say anything negative during his interview on the GC. It is what it is...hell, like some have said, there may not have been a tournament at all without TW stepping in. By the way, I have searched everywhere to find out how an invitational field is picked, but have had no luck. So maybe someone explain it...is it a popularity contest or all about ranking?

...Tiger is not bigger than the PGA...

ROFL

Oh yes he is.

Bigger than the game? Questionable.

Bigger than the PGA TOUR? Absolutely.

Tiger could sell out Yankee Stadium if he was going to play with himself. He's THAT big. Don't doubt it for a second.

If Tiger is holding a tournament and only wants to invite Phil, Ernie and the Pope.......he'd still sell 80,000 tickets.

-mini

i honestly do think it's pretty ludicrous to hear any complaints about a limited field event. it's not like those guys on the a** end of the money list are really hurting for cash or are so incredibly miserable playing golf for a living.

when i see someone with a pga tour card using food stamps and living in government housing, then i'll really feel for them.

...Tiger is not bigger than the PGA...

ROFL

Oh yes he is.

Bigger than the game? Questionable.

Bigger than the PGA TOUR? Absolutely.

Tiger could sell out Yankee Stadium if he was going to play with himself. He's THAT big. Don't doubt it for a second.

If Tiger is holding a tournament and only wants to invite Phil, Ernie and the Pope.......he'd still sell 80,000 tickets.

-mini

That's not call a tournament...that's called Shells Wonderful World of Golf! Lol

That's not call a tournament...that's called Shells Wonderful World of Golf! Lol

*TV Trailer Guy Voice*

Coming this July.......

*picture of the flag*

....to a Golf Course in DC.

*pictures of Congressional and the Wash. Monument*

..................you WON'T believe your senses.

*sound of golf clubs hitting golf balls**music*

Tiger's Wonderful World of Golf

*quick speaking guy voice*

Thisshowisnotyetrated

*music*

I kinda like it man...Tiger could have a whole series. $500,000 purse. The loser gets $150,000, Tiger gets the rest.

-mini

*TV Trailer Guy Voice*

Coming this July.......

*picture of the flag*

....to a Golf Course in DC.

*pictures of Congressional and the Wash. Monument*

..................you WON'T believe your senses.

*sound of golf clubs hitting golf balls**music*

Tiger's Wonderful World of Golf

*quick speaking guy voice*

Thisshowisnotyetrated

*music*

I kinda like it man...Tiger could have a whole series. $500,000 purse. The loser gets $150,000, Tiger gets the rest.

-mini

The loser gets $150,000 plus a new pair of Nike shoes...lol