2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Holy carp, Fourteen FH1000

shanx

I was mulling around at the local PGA Superstore last night. I am looking for a set of irons, forged CB's. Found a set of used MP53's there for a decent price. Went to a booth to hit a few shots with the 53 6 iron. One of the sales dudes got to chatting with me, I wasn't hitting the 53 that great, it had these funky graphite Project X shafts in it that were not a good fit for me. Sales dude says, "here try this club, it has an S300 in it" and hands me a Fourteen FH1000 6 iron.

I hit the first one great, it felt amazing! Shocked by how soft the ball felt coming off the clubface. Hit a few more, same amazing soft feeling. I have no business considering blades, my ballstriking is terrible, but I was just blown away by the feel.

The club seems fogiving too. I hit a few on the sweetspot, but the ones I missed seemed to fly just as far as the ones I got good.

Am I nuts for considering these?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all if you liked the results you were seeing. Everyone is different so it is not inconceivable that a blade can and does work for various golfers of all abilities.

Cally 9.5 Xhot Fuel TS 60 tipped
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 16.5* HL Attas 7S
909H 17*, 21* &24* V Steel
5-GW Cobra Pro M/B 950g/h
Cleveland 588 Tour Zip Grooves 54*
34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

If you like them...get them. Not really a big deal.

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 Utility 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW - KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Taylormade Spider Tour X Double Bend

RE: <<Am I nuts for considering these?>>

Only if you're the kind of person who finds exactly what you've been looking for and then says to yourself, "There HAS to be something wrong here. What am I missing?"

I'd give you a well meaning nudge to try an experiment: buy the irons and give the guy playing them a new name like "HitsEmStraight," and see what happens.

;=]
Best of luck.

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

If your swings decent you can hit anything. When I'm on I can play blades easily. When I'm off you could give me the biggest shovel headed crap and I would still suck just as bad. Fourteen irons incredibly soft and feel amazing. Buy away if you like them.

Crazy 450 Crazy LY01 6.9
3 Deep Proforce V2 75s
Buchi 05 DI Nippon 950HT 39.5"
Yonex Ezone Mb Nippon Super Peening Blue
Yururi Gekko 53,61:Romaro Ray SX 58
SeeMore mFGPcs 370g 32"

Agreed, buy em. They're the only "blade" I get good results with and like. They are soft, but I find myself more prone to looking at the 777, 555, and 530. Like said above, I know I'm going to have off days and I want to be punished minimally. They price the sets so you consider all of them. I love my MP54's but I'm leaning towards selling them and going to a fourteen series just because the headquarters is only a few miles from home and they have a similar feeling as my Mizunos. Did your PGA store have them listed for $1199.99 with NS'?

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Swinging in a store with no pressure, no target, and no consequence is totally different than your everyday game on the course.....you already know the answer cuz you said it....of course they look good and of course their soft...A few swings in a store is not reality, it's not other people's money so something you have to consider.....A mb iron can be brutal if your not confident.....I don't hear alot of that in your post.....anyone can game them but very few can benefit or strike them solid day in and day out.....everybody likes em and everyone wants em, not a big shocker.....If you can handle alot of painful rounds and are willing to put more time into your swing than you do at your job then knock yourself out.....If you believe you are going to be able to pick them up and all of a sudden be a better ballstriker then you have a big reality check coming your way, lol

[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1408086927' post='9939061']
Swinging in a store with no pressure, no target, and no consequence is totally different than your everyday game on the course.....you already know the answer cuz you said it....of course they look good and of course their soft...A few swings in a store is not reality, it's not other people's money so something you have to consider.....A mb iron can be brutal if your not confident.....I don't hear alot of that in your post.....anyone can game them but very few can benefit or strike them solid day in and day out.....everybody likes em and everyone wants em, not a big shocker.....If you can handle alot of painful rounds and are willing to put more time into your swing than you do at your job then knock yourself out.....If you believe you are going to be able to pick them up and all of a sudden be a better ballstriker then you have a big reality check coming your way, lol
[/quote]

Lol, reality check indeed!!

I would probably go for a combo set, and just use the 6,7,8,9,p in the blades. They had CB's there too, but I needed to get home and did not hit them.

I have never hit a club so soft in my life!

Just to reiterate the "reality check" above - blades are, when hit solidly, absolutely fantastic. My first set of blades were MP 14's, which I wore the chrome off of. They were/are a relatively easy blade to hit due to the design (offset/CG), but blades nonetheless. I played Ping i3+ Blades (which aren't :) for many years after - had a short stint with MP 57's and I'm back to blades - Saqra INB-1150's. I have been back to blades the last 2 seasons and I will tell you that I have been playing the best golf of my life. Up until yesterday I had shot 65 and 2 69's (71.8/129 6601 and 74/137 6721) my last 3 rounds. When I shot the 65, I was 16 of 18 GIR's. Then yesterday happened. I played 9 holes and my swing was off a bit and I was wishing I had a good set of SGI irons in the bag! My point is this - blades are tougher to hit and I have always played VERY playable blades. When you are on, there is nothing quite as sweet as a flushed MB, when you are off, there is nothing quite as painful as a missed one :)

I prefer blades because truly my off days with my irons aren't that often but it does happen. Play what you want and what you enjoy just go in with the understanding that these are a bit tougher. Whatever you choose - enjoy!

[quote name='trbgolfer' timestamp='1408131117' post='9942757']
Just to reiterate the "reality check" above - blades are, when hit solidly, absolutely fantastic. My first set of blades were MP 14's, which I wore the chrome off of. They were/are a relatively easy blade to hit due to the design (offset/CG), but blades nonetheless. I played Ping i3+ Blades (which aren't :) for many years after - had a short stint with MP 57's and I'm back to blades - Saqra INB-1150's. I have been back to blades the last 2 seasons and I will tell you that I have been playing the best golf of my life. Up until yesterday I had shot 65 and 2 69's (71.8/129 6601 and 74/137 6721) my last 3 rounds. When I shot the 65, I was 16 of 18 GIR's. Then yesterday happened. I played 9 holes and my swing was off a bit and I was wishing I had a good set of SGI irons in the bag! My point is this - blades are tougher to hit and I have always played VERY playable blades. When you are on, there is nothing quite as sweet as a flushed MB, when you are off, there is nothing quite as painful as a missed one :)

I prefer blades because truly my off days with my irons aren't that often but it does happen. Play what you want and what you enjoy just go in with the understanding that these are a bit tougher. Whatever you choose - enjoy!
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not shooting in the 60's, but my best rounds ever (75, 76 and back to back 78's) happened with a set of well worn MP29's.....

[quote name='shanx' timestamp='1408133819' post='9943017']
[quote name='trbgolfer' timestamp='1408131117' post='9942757']

[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not shooting in the 60's, but my best rounds ever (75, 76 and back to back 78's) happened with a set of well worn MP29's.....
[/quote]

Totally do it! You will be back in business - no guts no glory, right?

I did a combo set with the TC 777 4-6 and FH1000 7-PW. I was buying two sets a year, since the fourteens I have not even looked at other irons. I have come to the conclusion to buy what you want the first time, instead of just playing good deals. The irons are very nice, I prefer the look of the blace versus the cavity, but the cavitys do perform...The FH1000 irons will do it all, so workable...

Titleist 915D4 with Matrix HM3 black tie stiff
Titleist 915f with AD DI 8s
Titleist 915h AD DI 105s
Fourteen TC 888 nippon modus 3 stiff
Fourteen RM 11 tour issue with modus
Scotty Golo, Bryon DH89, Betti Jam