2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

LIVE From The Nike Golf Vapor Irons Launch Aug 18

I love the vapor line, they look so cool and there should be a set for every player, pro,pro combo, and speed. I am ready to upgrade the only problem is for some reason I hit them like trash. It's totaly baffling, I can't even hit the speed right! I am a good ball striker too. The pros I hit the best but the pro combos I can't stop hooking!?! The speed I hit the worst. Today I took my stock covert forged 7 iron and would alternate between the pro combo and my CF so I'd hit the CF 165 perfect high baby draw then take the PC and either hit thin or hook! Is it the shaft? Are they shorter in shaft length? I can't understand it!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Pastor201' timestamp='1415393021' post='10412413']
I love the vapor line, they look so cool and there should be a set for every player, pro,pro combo, and speed. I am ready to upgrade the only problem is for some reason I hit them like trash. It's totaly baffling, I can't even hit the speed right! I am a good ball striker too. The pros I hit the best but the pro combos I can't stop hooking!?! The speed I hit the worst. Today I took my stock covert forged 7 iron and would alternate between the pro combo and my CF so I'd hit the CF 165 perfect high baby draw then take the PC and either hit thin or hook! Is it the shaft? Are they shorter in shaft length? I can't understand it!
[/quote]

Could be shaft, swingweight, lie, length or any combination of those, or more. Know the specs on the set you have now, and compare to what 'stock' are for the Vapor line. Pralem solved.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[/quote]

Currently game the covert forged 2.0 and love them they are probably one the easier sets I've hit and feel so good I would never consider another set. Today I walked into gg and saw the pro combo vapor set and took a couple of swings and honestly I could not believe how they felt so smooth. I was hitting it straight and felt so good off the face much easier then the previous pro combo set keep in mind I haven't swung a club since August. I was hitting the 7 about 145-150 getting warmed up and my club I hit about 165 the difference is the loft in the covert its 31 degree and in the vpc its 34 could be the difference there

~2024 Bag~

Titleist TSR2 10 Degree Ventus Red 6s

Titleist TSR2 3W 15 Degree

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 19 Degree

Titleist T-200 4-5  Fujikura Axiom 105S

Titleist T-150 6-PW Fujikura Axiom 105S

Titleist SM10 50.12F,56.12D,60.04T

Scotty Cameron 11.5 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1415394990' post='10412597']
[/quote]

Could be shaft, swingweight, lie, length or any combination of those, or more. Know the specs on the set you have now, and compare to what 'stock' are for the Vapor line. Pralem solved.
[/quote]

I will, thanks for the heads up. I'm going to wait till the demo and custom offering for the vapor line to make a verdict I really don't like DG Pro shafts I really deloft the face so I like a light weight high launch shaft.

[quote name='Eric05' timestamp='1415400827' post='10413045']
[/quote]

Currently game the covert forged 2.0 and love them they are probably one the easier sets I've hit and feel so good I would never consider another set. Today I walked into gg and saw the pro combo vapor set and took a couple of swings and honestly I could not believe how they felt so smooth. I was hitting it straight and felt so good off the face much easier then the previous pro combo set keep in mind I haven't swung a club since August. I was hitting the 7 about 145-150 getting warmed up and my club I hit about 165 the difference is the loft in the covert its 31 degree and in the vpc its 34 could be the difference there
[/quote]

That could be it, I just love that pop feel off the CF face. The vapor PC feels more solid. I think I'm going to stick with my CF I love them I have never played better. If I was to switch it would probably be for cosmetic reasons only as shallow as that sounds, haha

[quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1415375390' post='10411113']
[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1415374095' post='10411025'][quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1415327085' post='10409171']
[quote name='FredWomble' timestamp='1415322610' post='10408691'][quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1415315064' post='10408089']
Had a horrible day but it got way better when I got home to find these 2 weeks earlier than expected. Time to hit the golf dome. Damn snow!!!
[/quote]

ToddyJ, I'd be interested to know your take on the PXi shafts. I've had PX Flighted 5.5 and hit a set with PXi that I liked also. And that's what I'm considering going with if (when?) I order VPC. I'm not a tech head by any means so I'm looking for other guys' reasons for going with PXi over the stock TT or some other shaft. Thanks in advance and hope you can hit your Vapor Pros soon.[/quote]

I plan on going to the golf dome on Saturday morning so I will definitely post my take on them. I've actually never been fitted for clubs. I've always played stock shafts because they've always worked out well for me. [b]I'm a +5.5 handicap with stock shafts.[/b] We'll see how I make out with these. I did a bunch of research on here and other websites and that's why I decided to go with the PXi. There really wasn't any other reason for going with these other than research. I have never had them before so I thought I would give them a try. I will be 40 next year so I thought I would go with a lighter shaft since a few gray hairs have appeared. haha. I am currently playing the 2012 pro combos but my ball striking his pretty good now so I thought I would try a blade.
[/quote]

In all seriousness, I love guys like you. You make the rest of us equipment nuts realize we're probably wasting a TON of money on all this nonsense. Here I am trying to buy a few extra stokes, and you can probably roll out of bed, take some rental sets of clubs and shoot a 70 with a pink eye.

It's a love/hate relationship though ;)[/quote]

Holy crap!!! I almost drove off the road cause I was laughing so hard reading that. And I actually gave up golf for 10 years because I was frustrated that I couldn't shoot under par. Then four years ago I decided to start playing again and I got a coach and things have been going really well ever since. I just wish I hadn't wasted the 10 years. And my handicap is probably actually closer to scratch rather then +5 because I always play the same course and I know it so well. yeah but I definitely am not shooting underpar was a rental set of clubs. Ha ha.
[/quote]

Rental clubs.... I just went out to Arizona and shot 70 at the ASU course with i25 rentals and then the next day shot 65 at the phoenician with cally xhot2 rentals. My friends asked if I was going to buy either set, I said " hell no... i should just rent everywhere I go from now on!"

I hit the VPC outside the other day and with the stock set up it reminded me of the Ping i25 stock set up. Very easy to hit, tight little draw. I hit both inside today on the GC2/n'flight and both were very close numbers wise. I got a few extra yards from the VPC because of lower spin vs. the i25. Launch and BS were about the same.

My question is what are the shaft upcharges from Nike? I'm a PXI fan but would love to hit the CTL since I hear it launches a little lower and spins a little less than the PXI ( yes, I mean the CTL, not the standard ctaper). I thought I heard the PXI would be additional $200...that would make the VPC's a bit ridiculous, the Pro's I'd be on the fence. Onthe flipside, I saw someone said the modus was only $8.00 a club . Does anyone know the deal?

If the numbers etc... are close I'd be better off with the upgrade in a $799 set of i25's

PXi up-charge for me was $24 each club, I got a little deal. I think they're supposed to be $29 each club.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

Quick lefty update:

I stopped in a Golfer's Warehouse yesterday near Boston looking to hit a lefty VPC. They told me they won't get LH sets until Dec. 1.

Also, my local shop still doesn't have a LH set either. They didn't say Dec 1st but they did call the Nike rep and ask him to see if he can land a VPC 6 iron so we can at least get in some fitting numbers. That was a week ago and still no word back so maybe Dec 1 is accurate.

Driver - [color=#0000ff]Nike Vapor Fly Pro - Fujikura Pro Series 65 - Stiff[/color]
3W - [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#00ff00]Cobra Bio Cell Blue - Matrix Ozik white tie[/color][/font]
5W - [color=#0000ff]Nike Vapor Fly - Tensei CK Blue 65F - Stiff[/color]
Hybrid - [color=#ff0000]Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Kuro Kage Stiff[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Irons - Cobra S3 Pro 3-PW[/color]
[color=#ff0000]Nike Engage - 52* Square, 60* Dual Sole[/color] [color=#0000cd]Project X PXi 6.5[/color]
Putter - [color=#808080]Nike Method B1-02[/color]
Ball - Titleist ProV1x
[color=#008080]#supportyourlocalmuni[/color]

[color=#008080]WITB: [/color][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1303874-toddashford-nike-bag/page__p__13196536#entry13196536"]http://www.golfwrx.c...6#entry13196536[/url]
[twitter]toddash[/twitter]
instagram.com/toddash18

[quote name='todd.ashford' timestamp='1415450746' post='10415047']
Quick lefty update:

I stopped in a Golfer's Warehouse yesterday near Boston looking to hit a lefty VPC. They told me they won't get LH sets until Dec. 1.

Also, my local shop still doesn't have a LH set either. They didn't say Dec 1st but they did call the Nike rep and ask him to see if he can land a VPC 6 iron so we can at least get in some fitting numbers. That was a week ago and still no word back so maybe Dec 1 is accurate.
[/quote]

Thx for southpaw update! Gotta get this back into shape first anyways. ......ugh

Quick review. I got my VPC on Tue, but was out of town until yesterday. Got home and unboxed them, fantastic looking irons, no paintfill issues. I took them outside with my CF irons to compare. I was fit for my VPC, but I think I like the CF better, I have the 950gh stiff in my CF and the DGPro in the VPC. I loved the 7-pw of the VPC, but I think I like the 4-6 in my CF better. It was cold, so feel was a little off. The launch was high for both, but not too high, and I believe that my CF were about 8-10 yards longer, I know partially due to the stronger lofts. My CF are -1/4" length, VPC are standard. Its only one range session, and it was cold, so not deflated yet. I love the look of the VPC better, less chunky and less offset, but after a few more sessions, I may keep my CF irons.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

[quote name='minteq' timestamp='1415453680' post='10415185']
Quick review. I got my VPC on Tue, but was out of town until yesterday. Got home and unboxed them, fantastic looking irons, no paintfill issues. I took them outside with my CF irons to compare. I was fit for my VPC, but I think I like the CF better, I have the 950gh stiff in my CF and the DGPro in the VPC. I loved the 7-pw of the VPC, but I think I like the 4-6 in my CF better. It was cold, so feel was a little off. The launch was high for both, but not too high, and I believe that my CF were about 8-10 yards longer, I know partially due to the stronger lofts. My CF are -1/4" length, VPC are standard. Its only one range session, and it was cold, so not deflated yet. I love the look of the VPC better, less chunky and less offset, but after a few more sessions, I may keep my CF irons.
[/quote]

Would split the sets or swap shafts?

[quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1415456889' post='10415371']
[quote name='minteq' timestamp='1415453680' post='10415185']
[/quote]

Would split the sets or swap shafts?
[/quote]

Yeah, I am not sure yet, like I said it was cold, so hard to get a feel. I do really like the look of the VPC better, and as always, my swing is a little off, haven't played in a while so will keep testing. I wish it was warmer, Monday is supposed to be around 60deg here, so I can test it better then.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

[quote name='Joshzilla' timestamp='1415367079' post='10410601']
[quote name='ricorx' timestamp='1415231036' post='10402715']
Hit the VPC 6 iron with Dynamic Gold Pro S 300 vs my own 6 i (pro combo CB with Dynamic Gold XP S 300) today in the sim at Golf Town. The VPC was 1 degree stronger, but the lie angle was the same.

The VPC are a gorgeous iron. A little more meat than my own club, but i actually preferred the look.

I was hitting my club well and was much more accurate initially. The VPC was leaking right, but the guy working there bent it 1.5 degrees upright and it was a night and day difference. Just as accurate as mine, with a more solid thump at impact.

I was carrying the VPC 9 yards longer than my club, 171 yards vs 162. Ball speed (about 118 mph) and launch (20 degrees) were virtually identical, but the VPC was spinning about 5300 vs my own at 5900.

The Speed 4 iron was perhaps more impressive. It was going as far as my X Hot Pro 23 degree hybrid (190 yard carry), but the dispersion was much tighter. I was a bit tired at this point but i had a couple reach 134 mph ball speed and 225 yds total with the Speed 4 i. I'm not always above 150 with the driver, so i thought that was pretty awesome!

What do you guys think of these numbers? DG Pro may be a better shaft for me? Surprised that i was much more accurate with the VPC upright whereas my club performed very well at the standard lie angle?
[/quote]

Wow, great info on the previous PC compared to VPC. I had kinda been thinking about snagging the older version to save some cash but I think you just changed my mind.
[/quote]

Thanks man, but I got to thinking about things after I posted and I'm wondering if the fact that the VPC was taped up made the difference in spin #s. Does 600 rpm difference sound about right for the thin masking tape that Golf Town uses? I do remember that the other paramaters were about the same (ball speed, launch) and that the increased carry seemed to come from the reduced spin.

I will say that in my opinion the VPC are a better loking club than the PC. I prefer the slightly thicker head, it's just a perfect size. The previous PCs trend more towards a blade than the VPC, but you may prefer that.

I'm going to have to spend a bit more time with the VPC. I did hit a few with the VPC 6 iron after the tape was removed and I remember carrying a good proportion of those shots about 170 yards, but I'm pretty sure most of the data I posted earlier came when the VPC was taped and my own club wasn't. Plus, I was using a cheap Nike SFT ball that was probably beat to hell, so I'd like to see the numbers with one of my own golf balls.

Just ordered a set of vapor pro p-8 and vpc 7-4. Been torn between my kbs c taper lite X flex shafts and a set of nippon 1150gh x flex shafts in these. For those who have hit or are playing the VPC's in the mid to long irons, do they launch higher than the Apex pro's? I prefer a little higher launch and have been soft stepping x flex shafts. I like the 120ish gram weight range, thanks.

Titleist TSR3 Tensei 1k white
Callaway GBB Denali black 

Callaway UW Denali blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58m PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

I called to schedule a fitting but I was told that the fitting components aren't in yet. They weren't sure when they would be available. I'm itching to do an iron fitting but I want to make sure that the Vapors are available so I can get a good comparison between all the manufacturers.

Ping G425 10.5 Graphite Design Tour AD-TP 65x
Ping G425 5 and 7 woods with Aldila Rogue 80s
Ping G525 4 iron Project X LZ 6.5
Ping i210 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5
Ping Glide 3 50 DG S400

Vokey 54s and 58m with DG S400
Artisan Golf 0217 

The temptation got the best of me. I grabbed a VPC 7 iron off the rack, taped it up, and hit it in the simulator. I didn't really pay attention to distance, but the feel was really really good. The overall weight feels about perfect to me. The shaft was about 1/4 inch longer than my VRS Forged iron.

Think I might go tape up a Speed 7 and compare it to the PC.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

So I spent an hour with my vapor pros with PXi shafts this morning for the first time. It was indoors at the golf dome because snow is ruining my life now. I played 2012 pro combos with stock shafts previously. I brought my 6 and 7 iron of my pro combos with me to do a comparison. Now the numbers that I got were from an ES12 which I know is not totally accurate but it does give you an apples to apples comparison since I hit them side-by-side. Now I have definitely realized that I have been playing the wrong shafts because the PXi felt so much better than what I previously had. Very smooth and much lighter. My 6 and 7 irons previously used to average 173 and 161 yards respectively with my pro combos. With my new vapor pros my 6 iron is now carrying 182 yards and my 7 iron is now carrying 170 yards. I'm not sure if I can attribute this to the vapor pros or the new shafts but boy what a difference. Just as everyone else has said anything that is slightly off center towards the toe still goes dead straight. I usually hit about 90% of my shots right in the sweet spot and with the vapor pros anything I hit in the sweet spot had a Straight piercing trajectory. I tend to hit most of my shots very high and land softly on the green and with these moving the ball back a half inch still gave me a very high shot with much more Carry and when I moved it up in my stance I still got my high soft landing shots. Everything that I hit felt so good that I will be gaming these immediately. Well of course once the damn snow is gone. As I said previously I have never had a set of clubs fitted for me I have always played everything right off the rack. With these I took a gamble and ordered what I figured I would like and I'm pretty happy with the selections I made from the research that I've done on these forums. My best score this year was a 63 and that was with shafts that I was not totally comfortable with because they never felt quite right for me swing. So I'm anxious to see how low I can go with shafts that feel really good. All in all these vapor pros are incredible feeling and more forgiving than my 2012 pro combos. On good shots they feel like a hot knife through butter. Haha. Yeah I know, dumb comparison but you guys get the point.

[quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1415485201' post='10416979']
So I spent an hour with my vapor pros with PXi shafts this morning for the first time. It was indoors at the golf dome because snow is ruining my life now. I played 2012 pro combos with stock shafts previously. I brought my 6 and 7 iron of my pro combos with me to do a comparison. Now the numbers that I got were from an ES12 which I know is not totally accurate but it does give you an apples to apples comparison since I hit them side-by-side. Now I have definitely realized that I have been playing the wrong shafts because the PXi felt so much better than what I previously had. Very smooth and much lighter. My 6 and 7 irons previously used to average 173 and 161 yards respectively with my pro combos. With my new vapor pros my 6 iron is now carrying 182 yards and my 7 iron is now carrying 170 yards. I'm not sure if I can attribute this to the vapor pros or the new shafts but boy what a difference. Just as everyone else has said anything that is slightly off center towards the toe still goes dead straight. I usually hit about 90% of my shots right in the sweet spot and with the vapor pros anything I hit in the sweet spot had a Straight piercing trajectory. I tend to hit most of my shots very high and land softly on the green and with these moving the ball back a half inch still gave me a very high shot with much more Carry and when I moved it up in my stance I still got my high soft landing shots. Everything that I hit felt so good that I will be gaming these immediately. Well of course once the damn snow is gone. As I said previously I have never had a set of clubs fitted for me I have always played everything right off the rack. With these I took a gamble and ordered what I figured I would like and I'm pretty happy with the selections I made from the research that I've done on these forums. My best score this year was a 63 and that was with shafts that I was not totally comfortable with because they never felt quite right for me swing. So I'm anxious to see how low I can go with shafts that feel really good. All in all these vapor pros are incredible feeling and more forgiving than my 2012 pro combos. On good shots they feel like a hot knife through butter. Haha. Yeah I know, dumb comparison but you guys get the point.
[/quote]

Great impressions! Now come on down to Sunny South Florida and get your stix on one of our fine tracks.....which PXi flex did you get?

[quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1415488113' post='10417245']
I got PXi 6.0. Yeah, the wife wants to go down and play one of the Disney World courses. She's a Disney, Nike and golf freak and Im a Nike and golf freak. Work out well. I guess I will be booking flights soon. Ha ha
[/quote]

And the kids are what age? Do you plan on getting Pro or Flex driver?

[quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1415488820' post='10417287'][quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1415488113' post='10417245']
I got PXi 6.0. Yeah, the wife wants to go down and play one of the Disney World courses. She's a Disney, Nike and golf freak and Im a Nike and golf freak. Work out well. I guess I will be booking flights soon. Ha ha
[/quote]

And the kids are what age? Do you plan on getting Pro or Flex driver?[/quote]

No kids, my two dogs are our kids. More time to golf that way. I played 110 rounds this year. I never would've done that if I had kids. Since I love my covert tour 2.0 so much I think I'm going with the vapor pro but I will hit the flex first to make sure

Played my second rounds with my vapors today and all I can say is wow. The pros are as good as everyone says they are. A pure shot with the pros is just amazing. I am coming from a set of mp54s and I can honestly say the pros feel just as good if not better than the 54s. Additionally I have picked up nearly a half a club in distance over my last set. Could be because of the change in shaft, went from x flex ctapers to dg pro x100 hs 1x. But these irons are truly fantastic. I think the feel of the vpc is not quite as nice as the pro but the difference in feel is well worth the forgiveness. I went Pro Pw-8 and vpc 7-4 and could not be happier. If you get a chance to hit these do so, you will be happy you did, your wallet might not like it though!

Stealth Plus 9* Ventus black 7x

Sim 2 Max Ventus red 8x
T200 3 tour issue x100
T100 4-W tour issue X100
Tour Rack RTX 50, 55, 60 tour issue s400
Tour Rat 

[quote name='GGMUFrost' timestamp='1415490014' post='10417337']Played my second rounds with my vapors today and all I can say is wow. The pros are as good as everyone says they are. A pure shot with the pros is just amazing. I am coming from a set of mp54s and I can honestly say the pros feel just as good if not better than the 54s. Additionally I have picked up nearly a half a club in distance over my last set. Could be because of the change in shaft, went from x flex ctapers to dg pro x100 hs 1x. But these irons are truly fantastic. I think the feel of the vpc is not quite as nice as the pro but the difference in feel is well worth the forgiveness. I went Pro Pw-8 and vpc 7-4 and could not be happier. If you get a chance to hit these do so, you will be happy you did, your wallet might not like it though![/quote]

Nike really has put out it's best set of irons. At least the best that I've ever hit

[quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1415488975' post='10417293']
[quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1415488820' post='10417287'][quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1415488113' post='10417245']
[/quote]

And the kids are what age? Do you plan on getting Pro or Flex driver?[/quote]

No kids, my two dogs are our kids. More time to golf that way. I played 110 rounds this year. I never would've done that if I had kids. Since I love my covert tour 2.0 so much I think I'm going with the vapor pro but I will hit the flex first to make sure
[/quote]

There are a couple decent videos per YouTube that make the flex sound just delicious! So the wifey STILL loves Disney, ay?

[quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1415492575' post='10417517']
Yep. She's got a Mickey tattoo and a huge collection. I'm a builder and I just built us a new house with 2 dedicated wall units for her collection. She also loves golf and is a 14 hdcp so I can't complain
[/quote]

Nice! I checked Nike's website and shafts are plentiful.....lefties aren't available until December I'm hearing. ....I'll go straight pro combo 4-aw shaft TBD...thinking Nippon but I'll check pricing.....have you played golf in Florida or better yet Orlando area?