(Football) Soccer thread (English Premier League, Champions League)

apple_crumble

Zizou resigns from Madrid, a man can dream right?

I've got a sneaking feeling he'll end up ad France manager after the world cup, Deschamps has been there for a while now. Just a hunch... Might end up at juve if Madrid tempt allegri??

it's an odd situation, I think. I think Perez wants Pochettino, but is not ready to buy him out of his deal with spurs. Levy is gonna demand a hefty fee. So the next choice is probably Guti or Conte/Sarri depending on how the chelsea saga evolves. I cannot see Wenger getting the job.

I think you could very well be right about Zizou. Especially if France have a so-so world cup.

• 2 months later...

United will do well to finish in the top half of the table this season...

Too much blame on José, if you ask me. Woodward needs to go asap. Say they sack Mourinho and Zizou takes over - What's going to change? He's not going to turn Lindelöf into Maldini. José wanted defenders. United doesn't have a single world class centre back. Look at Liverpool. They had a horrible goalkeeper and changed it. Allison over Karius has to be close to the biggest upgrade in PL history.

United will do well to finish in the top half of the table this season...

Too much blame on José, if you ask me. Woodward needs to go asap. Say they sack Mourinho and Zizou takes over - What's going to change? He's not going to turn Lindelöf into Maldini. José wanted defenders. United doesn't have a single world class centre back. Look at Liverpool. They had a horrible goalkeeper and changed it. Allison over Karius has to be close to the biggest upgrade in PL history.

Uggg! I really don't know what to think as its just awful at the moment. Jose wasn't at training at all today so the rumors have gone into overdrive. But if united defend like this all season they'll be midtable at best. Its like being in the 80s under big Ron again

I lay the blame squarely on Jose. He bought Lindelof and Bailey then decides to make a point and drop them and play Herrera there.

Man’s lost the plot completely. I told you this would happen a year ago, but you laughed it off

Give him an contract for 20years

He’s a narcissist and loves to cause havoc. If he’s not spending more than anyone else he’s buggered. He throws everyone under the bus and has no idea how to play like klopp poc pep etc

He’s just Hodgson with money and trophies. All hail the special one

Best thing we ever did was not employ this moron

Yeah we’ve not won anything for a decade but I know who they d rather have

Curious in a way, go to 38 years without the title or have a Jose type manager that's wins it for you.... What would you do?? Joses gone and I mean totally gone but christ his cv is ureal, and the money part doesn't wash at all as all top managers in the last 30 years have spent bucket loads. Some without winning a bean.... Having said that I want him gone the fruitcake

Honestly wouldn’t have him anywhere near Anfield. You may laught but he’s a loon.

We take the piss as it should be, but he’s dragging a dynasty down with his petulance. If you are happy with that I can’t help you.

I knew it would happen and so did every other supporter. But you made your bed with the devil and you reap what you so.

After unexpectedly changing the time of his press conference last week, it's hard to track down Jose Mourinho these days. Fortunately, our special correspondent was in the right place at the right time late on Monday night after Manchester United lost to Spurs. This is what the Man United manager had to say (OK, not really ... )

"Oh. You are here. I did not expect you to be here. I thought that if I changed the time without telling anyone ... and the location ... but, no. You have found me. Well, I salute you.

And you will want an explanation, no? Yes. Your kind always do.

We worked all week. And by the geopolitical point of view, we did not lose. By the thermodynamic point of view, we did not lose. By the philosophical point of view, what is losing and what is winning? But, yes we lost the game, 3-0.

And so again you look at me with your face of doubt. You go away and you think: third season syndrome. You think I have gone off. Like a bad wine.

But are my triumphs really so distant? Second place last year with points that would normally win a championship -- higher than your beloved Liverpool. The year before that: A quadruple. The Europa League. The League Cup. The Community Shield. The Stretford Local Business Association Quality Staff Catering Prize. And it should not be forgotten that I have twice finished in the last five on Fortnite.

Do not make that face at me.

Yes, it is true. Players have changed. When I started as a manager, if the players had their phones in the dressing room, it was because they were playing snake. Or it was because John Terry needed 45 minutes to tap out I wll B hme L8, dont w8 up on his Blackberry. Now Jesse Lingard documents the growth of his toenails on Instasnapps and Luke Shaw will not log out of JustEat.

But I have moved with the times. I now use scouting software to isolate clips showing individual areas of my players' weaknesses. Then I use iMovie to add a soundtrack of me screaming, 'You are worthless! You are destroying my legacy!' over the top. Then I send them to Chris Smalling. Every. Single. Day.

Nothing? No. It is easier for you to sit there and scratch yourself, isn't it?

Mourinho's not the reason for Man United's struggles. It's everyone else's fault! Matthew Peters/Man Utd via Getty Images

Even you must know that not all the blame falls at my door. Look at Paul Pogba. When he plays for France, he plays with freedom, he plays with a smile on his face, he uses his skill and dynamism to break through the lines. And he wins the World Cup. When he plays for me? Nothing. Nothing. What has changed? What is different? You will have to ask him.

Then there is Ed Woodward. My constant "Ed-ache," ha. Why are you not laughing?

How am I supposed to win championships when he will not let me improve the squad? I need to buy defenders. I said to him at the beginning of the summer, 'I need to buy defenders.' He said, 'You have already bought two defenders, they were £30 million each. What's wrong with them?' So it is clear. He does not understand football. For he is not a football person.

But these are the facts: When you take away the £100m for Paul Pogba, the £75m for Romelu Lukaku, the £50m for Fred, the £40m on Nemanja Matic, the £30m and God-knows-what-we're-paying-in-wages for Alexis Sanchez, the £30m for Victor Lindelof, the £30m for Eric Bailly -- take all of that away and we have spent less than Burnley. And so Ed Woodward expects me to keep up with Manchester City on Burnley's budget. It is madness.

But what do you know? You are a cat. And I am trying to have a relaxing bath. One for me. None for you. Go on, get out. Daddy will feed you when he's finished. Respect. Respect. Respect. Respect."

Honestly wouldn’t have him anywhere near Anfield. You may laught but he’s a loon.

We take the piss as it should be, but he’s dragging a dynasty down with his petulance. If you are happy with that I can’t help you.

I knew it would happen and so did every other supporter. But you made your bed with the devil and you reap what you so.

After unexpectedly changing the time of his press conference last week, it's hard to track down Jose Mourinho these days. Fortunately, our special correspondent was in the right place at the right time late on Monday night after Manchester United lost to Spurs. This is what the Man United manager had to say (OK, not really ... )

"Oh. You are here. I did not expect you to be here. I thought that if I changed the time without telling anyone ... and the location ... but, no. You have found me. Well, I salute you.

And you will want an explanation, no? Yes. Your kind always do.

We worked all week. And by the geopolitical point of view, we did not lose. By the thermodynamic point of view, we did not lose. By the philosophical point of view, what is losing and what is winning? But, yes we lost the game, 3-0.

And so again you look at me with your face of doubt. You go away and you think: third season syndrome. You think I have gone off. Like a bad wine.

But are my triumphs really so distant? Second place last year with points that would normally win a championship -- higher than your beloved Liverpool. The year before that: A quadruple. The Europa League. The League Cup. The Community Shield. The Stretford Local Business Association Quality Staff Catering Prize. And it should not be forgotten that I have twice finished in the last five on Fortnite.

Do not make that face at me.

Yes, it is true. Players have changed. When I started as a manager, if the players had their phones in the dressing room, it was because they were playing snake. Or it was because John Terry needed 45 minutes to tap out I wll B hme L8, dont w8 up on his Blackberry. Now Jesse Lingard documents the growth of his toenails on Instasnapps and Luke Shaw will not log out of JustEat.

But I have moved with the times. I now use scouting software to isolate clips showing individual areas of my players' weaknesses. Then I use iMovie to add a soundtrack of me screaming, 'You are worthless! You are destroying my legacy!' over the top. Then I send them to Chris Smalling. Every. Single. Day.

Nothing? No. It is easier for you to sit there and scratch yourself, isn't it?

Mourinho's not the reason for Man United's struggles. It's everyone else's fault! Matthew Peters/Man Utd via Getty Images

Even you must know that not all the blame falls at my door. Look at Paul Pogba. When he plays for France, he plays with freedom, he plays with a smile on his face, he uses his skill and dynamism to break through the lines. And he wins the World Cup. When he plays for me? Nothing. Nothing. What has changed? What is different? You will have to ask him.

Then there is Ed Woodward. My constant "Ed-ache," ha. Why are you not laughing?

How am I supposed to win championships when he will not let me improve the squad? I need to buy defenders. I said to him at the beginning of the summer, 'I need to buy defenders.' He said, 'You have already bought two defenders, they were £30 million each. What's wrong with them?' So it is clear. He does not understand football. For he is not a football person.

But these are the facts: When you take away the £100m for Paul Pogba, the £75m for Romelu Lukaku, the £50m for Fred, the £40m on Nemanja Matic, the £30m and God-knows-what-we're-paying-in-wages for Alexis Sanchez, the £30m for Victor Lindelof, the £30m for Eric Bailly -- take all of that away and we have spent less than Burnley. And so Ed Woodward expects me to keep up with Manchester City on Burnley's budget. It is madness.

But what do you know? You are a cat. And I am trying to have a relaxing bath. One for me. None for you. Go on, get out. Daddy will feed you when he's finished. Respect. Respect. Respect. Respect."

When you read it you just think.... He's Gone into meltdown!!!! Not seen, spoken, read one united supporter who wants him there. In truth should have gone in the summer, but hey ho it's football and life moves on

On my way too Burnley, only 50 minutes away and a banner is flying over today... So I'm told. Will have to have a few pints first as its going to be car crash footy I think.... God, if he loses today I think its goodnight Vienna! Would take a 1-1 right now it's that bad

Ten more years

And flying a plane, so Everton lol ?

Boy United played really well, went back to what he knows. Groot has a blinding game..again, seems to always play well these days. Plane was a disgrace but hey ho that's modern supporters for you. But the support for Jose was unreal, was taken back by it to be honest. Amazing what a good win and a performance can do but it was needed......after Jose's wired ramblings it was good to see him go into the supporters after the game, even he was taken back by the backing support. But that's United's away support for you, simply the best in the land by a country mile

Longtime Blues fan here! I’d say I’ve followed them right around when Didier Drogba came to London in 2004. Possibly a bit sooner.

Last year’s finish in the table was shite for Chelsea, would be an understatement. So glad Conte is gone as I feel his defensive style fit for a small moment of time given the roster.

Expecting good things from Sarri as he’s done well Napoli’s limited roster/budget the last few years. Also great reputation for his innovative coaching and his style of play. Thus far, the team has performed as expected given their league opponents. Results against Liverpool, and both Manchester squads will be more telling of the overall quality before the winter break.

Excited as the chemistry develops with Kovacic, Kante, and Jorginho in the midfield. This is the defending third to middle third support E. Hazard wanted/needed so desperately the last two seasons. Now he can play more as a true LW and show more his scoring ability. Oldest of these four players is 27, so I hope that they can play well for atleast 3-4 full seasons.

Always so much to speak on for every team in the EPL. Truly the best club league in Europe.

Cheers!

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

20 more years for Jose

Read between the lines! :wave

"Paul Pogba questioned why Manchester United can not muster more attacking football at Old Trafford.

Jose Mourinho's team were held to a 1-1 draw by Wolves on Saturday and afterwards Pogba said they had not been able to create enough chances to win the game.

"We are at home and we should play much better against Wolves," he said. "When we are at home we should attack, attack, attack. That's Old Trafford. We are here to attack.

"I think teams are scared when they see Man United attacking and attacking. That was our (the Not So Special One's) mistake."

Asked what was stopping them from attacking, Pogba said: "I can't tell you because I'm a player (diva). It's not me. (It's the f****** cowardly arsehole who is managing us)"

Pogba was instrumental in Fred's opener against Wolves and when pushed about what was limiting United going forward, the 25-year-old World Cup winner reluctantly suggested it was down to a lack of pace and movement up front -- both hallmarks of Mr. Ferguson's best teams.

"I'm not the manager (that's always throwing us under the bus), I cannot say but obviously we should show more option of playing but I cannot say because I'm a player," he said.

"That's my way of thinking -- we should move better, we should move more, yeah. (But we won't as long as this **** is manager)"'

20 more years for Jose

"Paul Pogba questioned why Manchester United can not muster more attacking football at Old Trafford.

Jose Mourinho's team were held to a 1-1 draw by Wolves on Saturday and afterwards Pogba said they had not been able to create enough chances to win the game.

"We are at home and we should play much better against Wolves," he said. "When we are at home we should attack, attack, attack. That's Old Trafford. We are here to attack.

"I think teams are scared when they see Man United attacking and attacking. That was our (the Not So Special One's) mistake."

Asked what was stopping them from attacking, Pogba said: "I can't tell you because I'm a player (diva). It's not me. (It's the f****** cowardly arsehole who is managing us)"

Pogba was instrumental in Fred's opener against Wolves and when pushed about what was limiting United going forward, the 25-year-old World Cup winner reluctantly suggested it was down to a lack of pace and movement up front -- both hallmarks of Mr. Ferguson's best teams.

"I'm not the manager (that's always throwing us under the bus), I cannot say but obviously we should show more option of playing but I cannot say because I'm a player," he said.

"That's my way of thinking -- we should move better, we should move more, yeah. (But we won't as long as this **** is manager)"'

Put a bet on yesterday... Jose not to make it to Xmas. It was low odds which ain't surprising really.

So now you think I’ve been right all along

He’s not the right man for your team

Let’s be honest, we’ll dig each other all day long due to our love of our respective clubs, and so it should be

But that mans is poisonous, hope you keep him until 2025 lol

Lose at West ham then that's it, in a way might support West ham to get rid of him. Take pogba too, sick of the pair of them... Typical French, reminds me of alkena

20 more years for Jose

Put a bet on yesterday... Jose not to make it to Xmas. It was low odds which ain't surprising really.

I really hope that bet pays out for you. To me he can't be gone fast enough. We've been boring to watch and the results haven't been there. To lose to Derby is just embarrassing.

Cobra LTDx LS - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Tour AD DI 7X

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-GW

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

I don’t understand the jose in folks after the sevilla press conference. Id’ve walked downstairs and sacked him on live tv like billy martin. Giving zidane the rest of the year to evaluate the squad would be useful, but I certainly would not use his potential refusal to take the job as an excuse to keep jose for now. Fresh start needed

He's brilliant at getting new contracts then getting 3rd season sack. Will cost a bi to get rid

We can afford it, time for him to go.

I'm not 100% sold on Zidane taking over though. The squad he inherited with Madrid was far better than what we have at the moment.

Cobra LTDx LS - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Tour AD DI 7X

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-GW

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

He's brilliant at getting new contracts then getting 3rd season sack. Will cost a bi to get rid ��

We can afford it, time for him to go.

I'm not 100% sold on Zidane taking over though. The squad he inherited with Madrid was far better than what we have at the moment.

Still baffling that he's still there... Tuesday night was as bored at old trafford that I've ever been... And I've seen some dog poo in my time. Big Sam, that's who's coming!! Can u imagine, but who'd come with this lot and woodburke in charge??