Best Philly Junior Membership Clubs?

Chafer

Anyone familiar with Coatesville Country Club? Debating between there and Applecross at the moment

Coatesville is in all likelihood either going public or going to be developed within the next few years. It's membership has dwindled and their finances are a mess. I played it late last year and they literally did not have sand in some of the bunkers, they were just mud pits. Their driving range is also a joke. It's on what's about a 20* slope and there are no mats/fairway, it's just some grass they cut short. It's a shame because I like the layout and the conditioning aside from the bunkers was pretty good.

I've heard Applecross is in a bit of financial difficulty as well, but probably a safer bet than Coatesville right now.

You should look into Stonewall if you are up that way.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone familiar with Coatesville Country Club? Debating between there and Applecross at the moment

Coatesville is in all likelihood either going public or going to be developed within the next few years. It's membership has dwindled and their finances are a mess. I played it late last year and they literally did not have sand in some of the bunkers, they were just mud pits. Their driving range is also a joke. It's on what's about a 20* slope and there are no mats/fairway, it's just some grass they cut short. It's a shame because I like the layout and the conditioning aside from the bunkers was pretty good.

I've heard Applecross is in a bit of financial difficulty as well, but probably a safer bet than Coatesville right now.

Thanks for the info.

I actually did just put in an application to join Coatesville. No initiation fees/bond purchase, etc, no year to year commitment, no monthly "capital improvement" fee either, so if things go awry for the club financially, I don't lose anything out of pocket. Just pay montlyh dues (which are EXTREMELY reasonable for someone my age (25)). And golfing membership is smaller (although I don't know what it was like in years past), but I like that - no tee times, so getting out and playing quick should never be a problem, which is big for me.

They are actually in the process of replacing bunkers (which you're right, they were sh*t, and that's putting it nicely), and this will be done by the end of July or thereabouts. No added cost to members on this.

I played some holes Sunday and you're right - layout is nice and conditioning was good (fairways okay, greens were great though) - they just resodded a few areas as well, so it will only get better as the sod takes hold.

Driving range looked okay, but I only drove by it at a distance on the cart. Gentleman I played with told me its double sided and the one side did have mats on the other side (I didn't actually see them though).

So we will see what happens in the future. Either way, for me it worked out to be a great deal.

And unfortunately, Stonewall is a bit out of my league at this point

Callaway Epic Sub Zero, Rogue Silver 110x
Rocketballz Tour Issue Proto Head 13*, Speeder 757x
Rocketballz Tour Issue Proto Head 19*, Speeder 757x
Callaway Alpha 815h, 21*, Velyix Rome 988x
Apex 4-6/Apex Pro 7-PW, DGX100
Tour Grind 52/60, Odyssey Protype #3

Where did you hear that about Applecross? They are building a brand new clubhouse. They are not an equity club, they have an owner. He is making money hand over fist at the courses he owns.

Where did you hear that about Applecross? They are building a brand new clubhouse. They are not an equity club, they have an owner. He is making money hand over fist at the courses he owns.

A safer bet in terms of investing money in a private club that's not going to go public after you pay your dues, I'm not sure what being an equity or privately held club has to do with being financially stable. I'd heard from a couple of different people that Applecross was struggling with membership. I also had a friend go in for a lesson with MacCluen and he was offered a free, as in $0, social membership that came with 4 rounds of golf which seems to back this talk.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

A safer bet in terms of investing money in a private club that's not going to go public after you pay your dues, I'm not sure what being an equity or privately held club has to do with being financially stable. I'd heard from a couple of different people that Applecross was struggling with membership. I also had a friend go in for a lesson with MacCluen and he was offered a free, as in $0, social membership that came with 4 rounds of golf which seems to back this talk.

Edit:

Looks like Applecross is doing just fine financially, but not exactly via a traditional route to solvency. When the recession hit the developer that was building the homes surrounding the course pulled out and failed to build 375 of the 1000 homes promised for the community. Applecross then sued for $20 mil in "lost revenue" and won.

http://www.dailylocal.com/article/DL/20150929/NEWS/150929695

The lawsuit seems to back the anecdotal evidence I heard in terms of membership, and also explains why they are dumping money into a new clubhouse.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Edit:

Looks like Applecross is doing just fine financially, but not exactly via a traditional route to solvency. When the recession hit the developer that was building the homes surrounding the course pulled out and failed to build 375 of the 1000 homes promised for the community. Applecross then sued for $20 mil in "lost revenue" and won.

http://www.dailyloca.../NEWS/150929695

The lawsuit seems to back the anecdotal evidence I heard in terms of membership, and also explains why they are dumping money into a new clubhouse.

From what I understood - the new clubhouse is merely the permanent clubhouse that was always planned. Opened a temporary, smaller version when course opened with full intentions of something grander, then the recession hit, and the timeline got pushed back.

And the only anecdotal evidence I have about Applecross is from a (not close) friend who joined as an associate member (get 10 rounds a year, unlimited practice facilities access, and access to club functions) that says the course does get crowded on the weekends and you do need to secure a tee time in advance. I have no first hand knowledge of such, just what I heard about round volume on the weekends. Would seem to indicate at least decent membership

They do that stuff all of the time. They operate more like a business than a traditional club. They give out coupons or incentives, so to speak.A friend of mine bought a new car and got 4 free rounds at Talamore. Its great marketing. The difference between the equity club and the owner is huge. He owns 4 courses, plus numerous housing developments and some other things. As long as the collective is making a profit, then things are fine. They will do things to make one of the struggling entities more profitable, but if one had a down year, they will not be effected like an equity course will be.

The course being crowded is less of a sign of troubles at these types of courses. They have a different tax status which allows them to make more money from outside events (weddings, outings etc.) than does an equity club. Because of that, the number of golfers and golfing members is less important. Now, if they are not scheduling weddings and parties at a high enough rate, that is a problem for them.

• 3 weeks later...

*UPDATE*

Loving Coatesville so far. Its certainly no Applebrook, Gulph Mills, or Stonewall, but it doesn't pretend to be either. The course is NEVER crowded, so no 4+ hour rounds, but there are plenty of weekly games/matches etc.

The club has a great long range plan for improvements in place, which is fully funded (aka no assessment forthcoming). New bunkers as I mentioned earlier will be done by the end of the month, and they are putting in a new pool, pool house, bath house, outdoor eating area, and other minor to medium-size course reno projects. Luckily (at least for golfers) the club prioritized golf course updates over other projects. Course is in good shape conditioning wise (again, this isn't Gulp Mills), and any areas of concern are all being addressed in short order.

For anyone under 35, there is no better value in Chester County (and trust me, I've looked - I sought info from/corresponded with a lot of area clubs). Obviously it all depends what level of club you are looking for (or can afford), but for me as a young, avid golfer without an endless budget (upcomgin wedding, house, etc) it worked out perfect. If anyone is interested in details, PM me.